Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? (15842 Views)

Southeast Governors To Meet In Owerri Over Pro-Biafra Protests - Vanguard / Customs Officers' Residential Quarters In Abuja (Photos) / President Buhari Stands Tall Amongst West African Leaders (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2012
I live in Port. Harcourt and I've gone round Nigeria. One thing that I think stands Southeast out is the high concentration of 3 to 6 storey buildings in the towns and semi-urban. I'm not talking about Bank headquarters or Government secretariat and public buildings. As a result of this, the population density of Southeastern cities are high and land preserved outside the city. Port Harcourt is littered with mostly Bungalows and duplexes. Why can't Rivers State government or other States map out areas for tall buildings in their cities to reduce usage of land for housing?
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 7:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
I think it's a good thing considering the population density of the south-east. That's what we should be doing in Nigeria. We should not be wasting plots of land on a bungalow because it will come back to bite us in the future.

In Cairo, the Egyptian capital they have something similar. Most of their residential areas are sky scrapers.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
Onitsha in Anambra state is very well known for tall residential buildings.these buildings are mostly built by individuals and not government.this is to show that we don't have to depend on government for everything.
Owerri too is improving in terms of accomodation.places like New Owerri and opposite World Bank Housing Estate.those places are also owned by individuals.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 7:44pm On Nov 05, 2012
afam4eva: I think it's a good thing considering the population density of the south-east. That's what we should be doing in Nigeria. We should not be wasting plots of land on a bungalow because it will come back to bite us in the future.

In Cairo, the Egyptian capital they have something similar. Most of their residential areas are sky scrapers.

Ours is not skyscraper but I'm particularly concerned with the case of Port Harcourt as the city is expanding too rapidly. The size could be cut in two if there were many 4 storey buildings.

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by ikeyman00(m): 8:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
@@@@

lookin
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by friedrice1: 8:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
Only Onitsha could boast of a concentration of tall residential buildings with most of them
barely 1.8 meters apart from each other. no other SE states has such concentration.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Dainfamous: 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2012
fried-rice:
Only Onitsha could boast of a concentration of tall residential buildings with most of them
barely 1.8 meters apart from each other. no other SE states has such concentration.
i think u are right..
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by AWKAMADEGUN: 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2012
Onitsha the pride of the EAST..

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by geeez: 9:27pm On Nov 05, 2012

Seriously?

The tallest residential buildings I've seen in Nigeria are in Ikoyi and Victoria Island standing 10-15 floors on the average but high rise residential buildings are the way to go instead of all these housing schemes that consist of bungalows. The LASG has been doing fairly well and will give their 3-4 storey residential schemes a pass mark

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 9:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
fried-rice:

Not only Onitsha. Aba also has very high concentration of tall buildings. Nnewi, Awka, Orlu, Abakaliki also have high concentration of tall buildings when comparedwith other parts of Nigeria.

These three pictures are 1 and 3 Aba and Onitsha in the middle..

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by MrGlobe(m): 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2012
geeez:
Seriously?

The tallest residential buildings I've seen in Nigeria are in Ikoyi and Victoria Island standing 10-15 floors on the average but high rise residential buildings are the way to go instead of all these housing schemes that consist of bungalows. The LASG has been doing fairly well and will give their 3-4 storey residential schemes a pass mark
^
shut your dumb azz up bastartd.

@op, am particularly disappointed in ph, with all the noise snd with it being called a major town, bungalows are littered everywhere, you can barely find a 2 story buiding in ph but I think its ikwerre people

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Kemy11(m): 9:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
ibos take everytn to b business that y they want to gain both d ground and d up come to Awada in onitsha u ll understand

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 05, 2012
geeez:
Seriously?

if I talk now you will say you don't want intellectual mud challenge.where did the poster mention Lagos not to talk of southwest? We are talking of SE states and not SW.Moreover,why is it Lagos all the time? Are there no other tall buildings in the SW apart from lagos? This boasting don too much I swear.
Now don't bother to quote me cos I believe you have read this!

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by geeez: 9:59pm On Nov 05, 2012
Mr. Globe:

^
shut your dumb azz up bastartd.

@op, am particularly disappointed in ph, with all the noise snd with it being called a major town, bungalows are littered everywhere, you can barely find a 2 story buiding in ph but I think its ikwerre people

What's wrong with this brainless eediot? You are the bastard! Low life retard. Your must have hit your head as a kid and grown up on cheap and expired dog food!

You read my post, couldn't debate intellectually and then you call me a bastard! Who the hell are you?

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by RickyRoss1(m): 10:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
Abagworo: I live in Port. Harcourt and I've gone round Nigeria. One thing that I think stands Southeast out is the high concentration of 3 to 6 storey buildings in the towns and semi-urban. I'm not talking about Bank headquarters or Government secretariat and public buildings. As a result of this, the population density of Southeastern cities are high and land preserved outside the city. Port Harcourt is littered with mostly Bungalows and duplexes. Why can't Rivers State government or other States map out areas for tall buildings in their cities to reduce usage of land for housing?

Port Harcourt is not well planned. And Port Harcourt is owned by the Ikwerre tribe, and the Ikwerre men do not have high taste like Igbos. 4 bedroom bungalow is the standard house for a typical ikwerre.

Another factor is land. Land is very cheap in Port Harcourt. In Onitsha land is very expensive. A plot of land in Onitsha will build a standard house in Port Harcourt.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by geeez: 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
berem: if I talk now you will say you don't want intellectual mud challenge.where did the poster mention Lagos not to talk of southwest? We are talking of SE states and not SW.Moreover,why is it Lagos all the time? Are there no other tall buildings in the SW apart from lagos? This boasting don too much I swear.

Still don't want it. You win
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by MrGlobe(m): 10:08pm On Nov 05, 2012
geeez:

What's wrong with this brainless eediot? You are the bastard! Low life retard. Your must have hit your head as a kid and grown up on cheap and expired dog food!

You read my post, couldn't debate intellectually and then you call me a bastard! Who the hell are you?
I said you should stfu! Every of your comment on nairaland is iddiotic. you are mentally deranged. stop bringing your mental challenge to threads where intellectuals are trying to discuss, go and eat amala or face your yahoo yahoo business.

6 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by soma042(m): 10:12pm On Nov 05, 2012
ill give it to ursha
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by geeez: 10:23pm On Nov 05, 2012
Mr. Globe:

I said you should stfu! Every of your comment on nairaland is iddiotic. you are mentally deranged. stop bringing your mental challenge to threads where intellectuals are trying to discuss, go and eat amala or face your yahoo yahoo business.

Not everyone that is successful made his money through fraud. I am one and I know a lotta people who are. Sore loser and 'bastard' is a sign of intellectualism in your post? The best if your reasoning was my worst in elementary school I must confess. I keep insisting that you must have hit your head as a kid or you're slowly becoming senile. As a matter of fact, you already are

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by 9ijaprince(m): 10:23pm On Nov 05, 2012
Some of these buildings in onitsha lacked proper planning.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by MrGlobe(m): 10:30pm On Nov 05, 2012
9ijaprince: Some of these buildings in onitsha lacked proper planning.

yes, thats true. many of them will go down when real urbanization comes.. by a good governor.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by MrGlobe(m): 10:33pm On Nov 05, 2012
geeez:

Not everyone that is successful made his money through fraud. I am one and I know a lotta people who are. Sore loser and 'bastard' is a sign of intellectualism in your post? The best if your reasoning was my worst in elementary school I must confess. I keep insisting that you must have hit your head as a kid or you're slowly becoming senile. As a matter of fact, you already are
I said all your posts reeks of illiteracy, low self esteem, dull brain etc.. just to tell you have not disappointed. go on and keep fooling yourself

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 06, 2012
berem: if I talk now you will say you don't want intellectual mud challenge.where did the poster mention Lagos not to talk of southwest? We are talking of SE states and not SW.Moreover,why is it Lagos all the time? Are there no other tall buildings in the SW apart from lagos? This boasting don too much I swear.
you know our brothers in the south west don't have any place that Is develope apart from Lagos that is why they keep mentioning Lagos

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by bashr8: 3:17am On Nov 06, 2012
fried-rice:
thats not true , aba to have those building.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by bashr8: 3:21am On Nov 06, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

Port Harcourt is not well planned. And Port Harcourt is owned by the Ikwerre tribe, and the Ikwerre men do not have high taste like Igbos. 4 bedroom bungalow is the standard house for a typical ikwerre.

Another factor is land. Land is very cheap in Port Harcourt. In Onitsha land is very expensive. A plot of land in Onitsha will build a standard house in Port Harcourt.

you are wrong , maybe they no want na , abi na by force. we know igbos landlords are smart too , the taller the building the higher its value and most of them use those houses as collateral for other buisness while also collecting rent.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by achi4u(m): 3:30am On Nov 06, 2012
We're d europeans of naija.
In s.east everybody is trying to out build their own best house inrespective of ur twon.

corpers from other region will intestify with this.thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by buffny: 3:46am On Nov 06, 2012
europians of naija

these dummies never cease to amaze me. and by the way its europeans not europians.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by chino11(m): 6:47am On Nov 06, 2012
Mr. Globe:

I said all your posts reeks of illiteracy, low self esteem, dull brain etc.. just to tell you have not disappointed. go on and keep fooling yourself

Nwanne kedu ije..

Biko rapu that fool.. cheesy
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by doofanc: 7:20am On Nov 06, 2012
fried-rice:

not true. I was in abakaliki recently and saw quite a number of them

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by nku5: 7:43am On Nov 06, 2012
Its not really a south east thing per say. For me its more of an awada onitsha phenomenon
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 7:53am On Nov 06, 2012
nku5: Its not really a south east thing per say. For me its more of an awada onitsha phenomenon

I want to believe you've not really been to other Southeastern towns and cities then. You can check the pictures from Aba I posted above, you'll notice they build between 4 to 7 storey buildings. Will get more pictures from Awka, Orlu, Abakaliki and Nnewi. Enugu also has a fair share in some areas. Owerri and Umuahia are mostly 2 to 3 storey buildings.

Below is Owerri.

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by seanet01: 9:40am On Nov 06, 2012
OKAY WE DON HEAR

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Refuses To Appeal Ruling Against Kashamu’s Extradition / BREAKING NEWS!!! Russian Present Calls For The Release Of Nnamdi Kalu / Protesting Drivers Block Okene-abuja Highway After Police Kill Conductor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.