Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,636 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters (11065 Views)

Akure Monarch Bans Eze Ndi Igbo Title-the Punch / Eze Ndi Igbo In Lagos Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Anti-igbo Comment / Security, Power Or Electoral Reforms: Which Should Be Given Urgent Focus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by odumchi: 2:40am On Nov 11, 2012
The other thing that I was planning on writing about was nominations and voting.

I believe that, as several people have said before me, every person that identifies himself as an Igbo should be given the liberty to nominate and vote. It would also be in the best interest of democracy if the tribunal were a bit more lax and trusting of the good judgement of Igbo voters. The tribunal's main role, with regards to voting and nomination, should be that nominations and votes come solely from legitimate voters and nominators. As long as the participants are Igbo men and women, then the decision as to who should preside as eze and eze nwaanyi should be left mostly in the hands of the voters.

With that said, caution and care should be employed when determining those that are capable of nominating. Voting, on the other hand, will be totally out of our control due to the site's poll feature (that is, if it does return).
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 11, 2012
odumchi: The other thing that I was planning on writing about was nominations and voting.

I believe that, as several people have said before me, every person that identifies himself as an Igbo should be given the liberty to nominate and vote. It would also be in the best interest of democracy if the tribunal were a bit more lax and trusting of the good judgement of Igbo voters. The tribunal's main role, with regards to voting and nomination, should be that nominations and votes come solely from legitimate voters and nominators. As long as the participants are Igbo men and women, then the decision as to who should preside as eze and eze nwaanyi should be left mostly in the hands of the voters.

With that said, caution and care should be employed when determining those that are capable of nominating. Voting, on the other hand, will be totally out of our control due to the site's poll feature (that is, if it does return).

Well said.

About the poll feature, I don't think it should come back lol. If it does, it shouldn't be used in our case. There's no telling who voted and how many times.

PointB, as per disqualifications, I don't see how any are needed. I prefer having the few qualifications we have and that's all. If people are unsure as to who to vote for, they can always read the candidate's previous posts.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 11, 2012
biafranbaby: I am bothered about ogugua's access to yoruba owners of this forum and her influence on them. And vice-versa.
There were two anti ogugua threads created where she was severely criticised. Those two threads have now been locked by the moderators.
Are dissenting igbo voices to be censored under ogugua's rulership? Is this the shape of things to come?
We are going into a slippery slope here.
Ogugua is too close to outsiders and too far from igbos (geographically, culturally, linguistically, etc) to be given such elevated position.

We need to advance on the issues of reform (brought about by this same ogugua), but we can't advance much if ogugua remains in power.
Disunity is already brewing. Cut it off!

Most of us witnessed what happened in both of those threads. It's unfortunate for everyone. However, I think I speak for most when I say that the incidents are behind us and we are now looking forward in terms of reform and avoidance of such in the future. Your input is highly welcome.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by NegroNtns(m): 6:29am On Nov 11, 2012
Odumchi, are you the next Eze? If not you need to be.

Dear Igbo brothers and sisters,

I am not anywhere close qualified to advocate who you elect as your leaders. I am not in the interest of procastinating on the fate of Nigeria and neither am I desirous of any co-nationhood with Igbo or Hausa. Nonetheless, I wish for you what I wish for Oodua Nation. In the spirit of that goodwill, I call upon you to pay close attention to Odumchi and to revere him. You have a handful of natural born leaders who, given the proper grooming and support, could gradually give a new brand and grace to Alaigbo. Pay attention and support to Odumchi. .....If there's a future for you, he is part of that change.

Signed,
Chief Negro.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by EzePromoe: 7:00am On Nov 11, 2012
achi4u: Any Igbo person who is not fluent both speaking & writing of the language should hurridly visit culture section and hit the button on "Igbo kwenu"
Ifyalways & co. are doing alot of serious job there.

Udo diri umuigbo.

I suggest this thread to that person. It will help him/her very much. cool

1 Like

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Nobody: 7:04am On Nov 11, 2012
^^^ Thank you very much smiley
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by odumchi: 7:27am On Nov 11, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Odumchi, are you the next Eze?

Yes, I am.

ogugua88: About the poll feature, I don't think it should come back lol. If it does, it shouldn't be used in our case. There's no telling who voted and how many times

Lol. That means more work on the back of whoever the vote counter is.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by NegroNtns(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2012
Congrats Odumchi. Please remember to work conscientiously on the osu subject.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Afam4eva(m): 7:33am On Nov 11, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Congrats Odumchi. Please remember to work conscientiously on the osu subject.
There's nothing to work. The OSU ish is dead and ready to be buried.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Ngwakwe: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2012
ogugua88: ^^^ Thank you very much smiley

Nne, jisike. Ihe anyi nö bü na Nigeria, ebe onye obula na mba obula na-azö onwe ha.

Everybody, me inclusive can be corrected. Don't take you critics as enemies, we are great Igbo nation that cannot forget or abandon her own.

I am still looking forward for Okija Juju to come on board and lets work together for the collective good of our fatherland.

Ûmû Igbo, ö ga adîrî unu na mma.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by NegroNtns(m): 7:37am On Nov 11, 2012
afam4eva:
There's nothing to work. The OSU ish is dead and ready to be buried.

Clarify please.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Ngwakwe: 7:39am On Nov 11, 2012
ogugua88: ^^^ Thank you very much smiley

Nne, jisike. Ihe anyi nö bü na Nigeria, ebe onye obula na mba obula na-azö onwe ha.

Everybody, me inclusive can be corrected. Don't take you critics as enemies, we are great Igbo nation that cannot forget or abandon her own.

I am still looking forward for Okija Juju to come on board and lets work together for the collective good of our fatherland.

Let the past be past. Enough of washing our dirty clothes in the public.

Ûmû Igbo, ö ga adîrî unu na mma.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Afam4eva(m): 7:40am On Nov 11, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Clarify please.
There's no such thing as the OSU caste system anymore. At least it's not as pronounced as it used to be. This is 2012.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by NegroNtns(m): 7:51am On Nov 11, 2012
afam4eva:
There's no such thing as the OSU caste system anymore. At least it's not as pronounced as it used to be. This is 2012.

Thats awesome! Those of you advocating against osu must continue this good work to wipe it out of your society completely. I believe its one of the barriers retarding your rise.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ifyalways(f): 10:05am On Nov 11, 2012
odumchi: The other thing that I was planning on writing about was nominations and voting.

I agree to some extent.

Let the polls decide, fullstop. Anything short of that is dictatorship and would be fully resisted.

Every Igbo(after basic profiling) man/woman, regardless of his or her stance on ALL igbo matters is eligible to vote, be voted for and nominate. That's democracy.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ifyalways(f): 10:14am On Nov 11, 2012
advocate666:

A disagreement between brothers and sisters are exactly what it is. A disagreement. An Eze is neither a debate referee nor a moderator. He/She have their own views. Having a view should not disqualify one. An Eze has full right to participate in threads.
However an Eze has more responsibility and should endevour to find a balance between his personal views and his larger responsibilities to ALL igbos.
thank you and quoted for future reference.

If you replace öbi with Zik or Ojukwu in the question I asked, you might see my reason for asking.

Thank you and noted.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 10:17am On Nov 11, 2012

Mazi Odumchi good day.The new law did not disqualified any igbo from nominating or voting or to be nominated.The law is to reduce the unnecessary attack and divisions that often arose in the midst of Igbos.Anyone who allowed his/her tongue to speak negative about what the law had restricted will be a victim of the law.The law has time limit when to lift the sanction. I also want to remind you that this is a faceless forum where anyone can claim to be Igbo, now how do we identify the true igbos??We can only identify them through their actions and utterances hence this law will help us to filter those pretenders out from our midst.One thing i have learned is that any group or organization that operate without a laid down law or rules guiding it members is doom and will surely collapse.

We have existed for one year and we have seeing some of our weakness and faults,let us allow this laws to guide us for another one year and see what profit or lost we can made out of it. Mind you there can be amendment of our laws after one year if the need be.

I pray you find points through the above explanation.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ifyalways(f): 10:25am On Nov 11, 2012
Btw, okija juju and Coogar are 2 different individuals.

Let's not get carried away sha. . .
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by biafranbaby(m): 10:29am On Nov 11, 2012
ogugua88:

Most of us witnessed what happened in both of those threads. It's unfortunate for everyone. However, I think I speak for most when I say that the incidents are behind us and we are now looking forward in terms of reform and avoidance of such in the future. Your input is highly welcome.

Ogugua, if you think the incident is behind us, just look at the lack of contribution to this thread. People feel that their feelings don't count so what's the use of making inputs if they are to be silenced, sidelined, things continue as usual and the critisized (you) refuse to apologise nor step aside.

Please note that we do not hate you but you hurt a lot of people and those people that you hurt are a majority. The majority rules. You either try to find a way to appease the majority so you don't become a minority govt or you step aside.

Really think about this for the general good of the community.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2012
ifyalways: Btw, okija juju and Coogar are 2 different individuals.

Let's not get carried away sha. . .

Ify nne m. Please let us avoid argument and counter argument and maintain this thread as reforming thread. Many things had been said which i supposed to respond to,but i tried to avoid them so that this thread remain intact without been derailed.

Thanks nne.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 10:39am On Nov 11, 2012
biafranbaby:

Ogugua, if you think the incident is behind us, just look at the lack of contribution to this thread. People feel that their feelings don't count so what's the use of making inputs if they are to be silenced, sidelined, things continue as usual and the critisized (you) refuse to apologise nor step aside.

Please note that we do not hate you but you hurt a lot of people and those people that you hurt are a majority. The majority rules. You either try to find a way to appease the majority so you don't become a minority govt or you step aside.

Really think about this for the general good of the community.

My dear bro/sis please let us forget about what happened in the other thread, we are here strictly for reform and to put some rules that can checkmate things related to what happened in the other thread you are talking about. Ogugua is not a baby she knows where she made mistakes and accepted them.Please let us keep bygone as bygone.Give us your input on this ongoing reform.

Thank you bro/sis.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by biafranbaby(m): 10:56am On Nov 11, 2012
out.
bye bye nu.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ebere1712: 11:03am On Nov 11, 2012
Ogugua, apologise to ndigbo for feigning divisions and try to be careful with your words next time. It is very hard to forgive or forget someone that shows no remorse or admittance that he/she was wrong. Do the right thing, and disown your divisive stance.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 11:32am On Nov 11, 2012
biafranbaby: out.
bye bye nu.

ebere1712: Ogugua, apologise to ndigbo for feigning divisions and try to be careful with your words next time. It is very hard to forgive or forget someone that shows no remorse or admittance that he/she was wrong. Do the right thing, and disown your divisive stance.

Nwanne don't take this personal.What happened before happened due to there is no law/rules guiding this organization,ogugua on her own had stated that if her statements was not appropriate those who have tken offense should forgive her.With that alone we can over look every other things and join hand here form a better law/rules that can prevent such event in the nearest future. Please mind you we that urged everyone to let bygone be bygone are original igbos just as everyone us here,we asked aggrieved igbo's to forget the pass and join us here to implement a better law that can checkmate such from happening in future is that too hard to ask? Ogugua was elected through igbo's non igbos does not have right to vote,been elected by her people it is inhuman for anyone to force her to resign or to be impeach without having a written law that allowed such motion. Please we all need to add our inputs here to avoid blaming those who carried out the reform and conclude it.

Thanks.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ebere1712: 12:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Nwanne don't take this personal.What happened before happened due to there is no law/rules guiding this organization,ogugua on her own had stated that if her statements was not appropriate those who have tken offense should forgive her.With that alone we can over look every other things and join hand here form a better law/rules that can prevent such event in the nearest future. Please mind you we that urged everyone to let bygone be bygone are original igbos just as everyone us here,we asked aggrieved igbo's to forget the pass and join us here to implement a better law that can checkmate such from happening in future is that too hard to ask? Ogugua was elected through igbo's non igbos does not have right to vote,been elected by her people it is inhuman for anyone to force her to resign or to be impeach without having a written law that allowed such motion. Please we all need to add our inputs here to avoid blaming those who carried out the reform and conclude it.

Thanks.
I had no idea that she apologised already. That being the case, I implore other aggrieved Igbo sons and daughters to forget this issue and please lets join hands and make this process a success. Eze nwanyi nairaland (elect), nno. Eze igbo nairaland (elect), nno. Eze onlytruth nno. Ndi Igbo kwezuonu.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by 9jaIhail(m): 12:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
ebere1712:
I had no idea that she apologised already. That being the case, I implore other aggrieved Igbo sons and daughters to forget this issue and please lets join hands and make this process a success. Eze nwanyi nairaland (elect), nno. Eze igbo nairaland (elect), nno. Eze onlytruth nno. Ndi Igbo kwezuonu.

Igbo kwenu kwenu kwezuonu. Who says with diplomacy igbos cannot find unity and move ahead?.Dear Ebere1712, thank you for your understanding.

God Bless Ndigbo.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by ebere1712: 12:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
Ngwakwe:

Nwanne m, ka-anyï hapü ihe gara aga. Ka anyî tinye aka hu na Ogbakö a bù nke nwere ntuala siri ike.

On the issue of removal of elected officer, I suggest that a motion of no confidence vote be called by the Election commissioner on receiving a call/complain to that effect by 1/3 the number of votes the officer received when voted into office.

Then such an officer will face the Igbo electorate again which will require a simple majority of 50.1% of the house to either validate or dethrone such person irrespective of how important such a one has been in the past to the Igbo cause.

We are republican in nature, and no one should be allowed to lord it over us.

Ka Chukwu dozie okwu a. Ami oo.

I am in support of the bolded. If it is workable. I suggest we go with it.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 12:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
9ja_I_hail spoke my mind on Ogugua's issue. Some of us who call for her impeachment or removal despite her apology are yet to come to terms with the fact that we currently don't have procedure for that. And we can't pluck one from the skies to use. Besides, there are argument here and there that's having an 'opinion' is undeniable right of an individual. I subscribe to that. I also subscribe to the fact that opinion no matter how balance you want it to appear should be such that it does not alienate you from those you seek to lead. This much has been said publicly and privately.

I am an advocate of carrot and stick, in setting the rules for the next election I strongly disagree with the opinion which suggests that being 'Igbo' is enough to warrant you standing election. How can we even begin to rationalise a case where someone vehement ridicule sister states, our Eze, or Eze Nwayi and then have the audacity to approach us for lead same group she/he derided.

I don't think we owe such person the dignity of polling. Anyone who hold such opinion, should be disqualified as a form of deterrant. You can not have a sane society, without accountability and responsibility.

More to come...
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by FreeGlobe(f): 1:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
PointB: 9ja_I_hail spoke my mind on Ogugua's issue. Some of us who call for her impeachment or removal are yet to come to terms with the fact that we currently don't have procedure for that. And we can't pluck one from the skies to use. Besides, there are argument here and there that's having an 'opinion' is undeniable right of an individual. I subscribe to that. I also subscribe to the fact that opinion no matter how balance you want it to appear should be such that it does not alienate you from those you seek to lead. This much has been said publicly and privately.
^
smfh, at this display of shameful hypocrisy, double standards. can you now officially apologize to okija juju, or tell us why someone as guilty as okija is given a soft landing and okija is not, all by you. The jokes on you.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by Ngwakwe: 1:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
PointB: 9ja_I_hail spoke my mind on Ogugua's issue.

I don't think we owe such person the dignity of polling. Anyone who hold such opinion, should be disqualified as a form of deterrant. You can not have a sane society, without accountability and responsibility.

More to come...

Point B, who are "WE" in the above statement as you sounded authoritarian and despotic.

I still maintain that the electorate should be the "WE" in any major decision concerning an elected or aspiring Officer in any Igbo Community whether online, local or remote.

Any constitution or law made in this house must be approved by at least 60% of Igbo sons and daughters available online, for it to become binding on us all.

We are the people and our collective majority decisions must take precedence over individual opinion.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by PointB: 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
We should envisage a system which after profiling it is found that an individual is in breech of certain basic norms, an outright disqualification is effected by the Electoral Committee.

Arguments has been advanced that the voters should decide who emerges. I strongly support this argument, and as a matter of fact, that is what has be done in past two elections. But the voters expects that the Electoral Team to do their homework and present to them the most suitable. Let's not forget in a hurry that in the last election some voters were demanding that the wanted to change their votes. This implies that the voters felt let down by the Electoral Committee. This baseline which aspiring candidates MUST meet has to drawn, claiming 'Igbo' I repeat is NOT and should NEVER be enough. More is needed!
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland – Electoral Reforms And Other Matters by biafranbaby(m): 1:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Thanks.

I didn't know she apologised. Please kindly point me to the apology.
Not that I doubt you but I would very much like to see her apology myself so I know how to respond to future detractors.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos: President Jonathan Receives Awards In Abuja / Power Ministry Budgets N168million For Fuel, Generator / Like Umahi, Will Ikpeazu Accept APC's Political Carrot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.