Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,066 members, 7,814,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Igbo learning thread + Translator - Culture (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo learning thread + Translator (228918 Views)

Translator / Looking For A Calabar Translator / Online English To Igbo Translator ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 22, 2013
[size=13pt]LOL! Now that's embarrassing.

I'm using an app on my phone. Na wetin I see embarassed[/size]

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by achi4u(m): 7:12am On Jan 22, 2013
tchidi:

Do u mean 'ifu gi amaka?' Cos ife gi amaka means 'your tin is fine' literally

Ebe ka chioma di is correct... Or kee ebe chioma di?
Madam!

Chioma is not a "thing" she is a human being so...

kee ebe chioma no or jere is correct.

thank u
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:13am On Jan 22, 2013
When you're referring to something that's alive, you use no instead of di. Di is only for inanimate objects.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 22, 2013
[size=13pt]I guess I'll be deleting that app lol.[/size]

odumchi: When you're referring to something that's alive, you use no instead of di. Di is only for inanimate objects.

[size=13pt]Does the same go for bu versus di?[/size]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:15am On Jan 22, 2013
achi4u: Madam!

Chioma is not a "thing" she is a human being so...

kee ebe chioma no or jere is correct.

thank u

Sorry, my bad!
Kee ebe chioma no...funny enoff, if I speak it, I'd say 'no'...wonder why I wrote 'di'
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:17am On Jan 22, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]I guess I'll be deleting that app lol.[/size]

[size=13pt]Does the same go for bu versus di?[/size]

Sorry, could you give an example?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 22, 2013
I doubt if 'bu' and 'di' r similar in meaning...
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 22, 2013
[size=13pt]"A dim nma" and "Afa m bu Ogugua". "Nma" is inanimate and "Ogugua" is a living being.

Funnily, I've used no several times but never thought of it as meaning "is" as well.[/size]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 7:50am On Jan 22, 2013
Yea, it can get very complicated. It is true that bu, di and no all translate to is, but at the same time, they each convey a different sense of "being". Bu for example is generally "to be", di is more along the lines of "to exist, or be in the condition of", while no is along the lines of "being in a state of" (state as in mainly its positioning; di can also share this understanding).

As for di and no being for "inanimate" and "animate", respectively; that's the first I'm hearing about that. Many people tend to use the two almost interchangeably. I, for instance, have heard no being used a lot with inanimate objects and vice versa with di. So if someone were to ask me to differentiate di and no, then I wouldn't say it has anything to do with animate vs inanimate. Instead I'd just say what I said earlier about di being used to convey a state of being, as in condition, and no being used to convey a state of being, as in position.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:54am On Jan 22, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]"A dim nma" and "Afa m bu Ogugua". "Nma" is inanimate and "Ogugua" is a living being.

Funnily, I've used no several times but never thought of it as meaning "is" as well.[/size]

Oh, I see what you mean.

Di has two meanings: how something seems/is or its location.

When you say O di nma (a di m nma sounds a bit awkward) you are describing yourself (in this example, o means it but its understood that you're talking about yourself) as being in the state of being fine. When you say O di na ana (it's in the floor) you're describing the location of something (o) as being on the floor.

Bu, on the other hand, only means am/is/are. The two aren't used interchangeably. You're correct in saying Afam bu Ogugua.

I know I probably did a poor job trying to explain this to you, but it's very complicated.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 8:06am On Jan 22, 2013
ChinenyeN: Yea, it can get very complicated. It is true that bu, di and no all translate to is, but at the same time, they each convey a different sense of "being". Bu for example is generally "to be", di is more along the lines of "to exist, or be in the condition of", while no is along the lines of "being in a state of" (state as in mainly its positioning; di can also share this understanding).

As for di and no being for "inanimate" and "animate", respectively; that's the first I'm hearing about that. Many people tend to use the two almost interchangeably. I, for instance, have heard no being used a lot with inanimate objects and vice versa with di. So if someone were to ask me to differentiate di and no, then I wouldn't say it has anything to do with animate vs inanimate. Instead I'd just say what I said earlier about di being used to convey a state of being, as in condition, and no being used to convey a state of being, as in position.

I believe that the word no draws its roots from the word onodi (position). Only something that's alive can have an onodi. For example, when you say okuko no na ohia (a chicken is in the forest), I interpret it to mean the chicken's geographical position is in the forest.

However, there are complicated exceptions to this rule. When you're referring to more than one living being, then you can use di.

For example:

There is a fish in the water: azu no na mmiri ahu.
There are fish in the water: azu no/di na nmiri ahu.
There is a person in that town: madu no na obodo ahu.
There are people in that town: madu no/di na obodo ahu.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 8:19am On Jan 22, 2013
I don't know if it seems as if I'm over-complicating things.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:35am On Jan 22, 2013
Sorry for appearing late.
Ogugua your question has been answered. 'Di' is for non living things and 'No' on the other hand is used for describing living things. 'No' is also used for describing places. But when enquiring for an address not known (it must be a particular place), you use 'Di'. Check out these examples.

Ebee ka Legosu no (Where is Lagos located)

Ebee ka ulo uka di akuku eba (Where is the nearest church here)

Ebee ka ahia di n'akuku eba (Where is the nearest market here)

Ebee ka ndi uwe oji no (Where are policemen)

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by 2sexy(m): 8:39am On Jan 22, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]LOL! Now that's embarrassing.

I'm using an app on my phone. Na wetin I see embarassed[/size]

Ogugua, please can I have such an app on my laptop? where can I get it and how much does it cost?

Thank you.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by achi4u(m): 8:52am On Jan 22, 2013
odumchi: I don't know if it seems as if I'm over-complicating things.
NO. you are not complicating anything with your examples rather I like ChinenyeN to say somthing about his post above.

Oga ChinenyeN give us ur examples pls
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 22, 2013
odumchi: I don't know if it seems as if I'm over-complicating things.

[size=13pt]Not at all! I understood you, ChinenyeN, and Eze Promoe more than well. Thanks so much for the clarification. wink[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 22, 2013
2sexy: Ogugua, please can I have such an app on my laptop? where can I get it and how much does it cost?

Thank you.

[size=13pt]The one on my phone is free. I'm cheap o. I look for free everything lol. There are several programs online but I've never been willing to pay the money that they require. I've seen a good number of them divided into three or so lessons, at $33 each. I saw one for a flat fee of $197 sef. I don't know where that money is going, so I play it safe. I can provide some free links:

http://learnigbo.com/abc.htm - This one's very basic. If there was a kindergarten for Igbo language, this would be it lol. It's good to start from somewhere though.
http://www.igbofocus.co.uk/html/learn_igbo.html - Another basic site.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Igbo_phrasebook - Very helpful.[/size]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by oboy3(m): 9:11am On Jan 22, 2013
Imo people use "no" for both living and non-living things
e.g>1) egusi a no nga/ebea?
2)chidi a no nga/ebea?
You might have heard that song by flavour - onye we panti "no" ni iro
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by achi4u(m): 9:35am On Jan 22, 2013
@eze lol at ur "lagosu"
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 4:54pm On Jan 22, 2013
Lol Odumchi, I would rather say that onodi draws its roots from no rather than the other way around, but that is beside the point. I wouldn't say you are over-complicating things. I understand what you're saying. However, I do not agree with two key things you mentioned, being 1) "Only something that's alive can have onodi" and 2) "When you're referring to more than one living being, then you can use di".

1) There have been plenty of instances where no can (and has) been used for non-living thing: Igodo no na bedi (The key is on the bed) is one of the many examples in which no is used for non-living things. Ñña Agbaznerne di (The place that Agbaznerne [person's name] is at) is a typical construction in Ngwa. I guess, I don't know how well it applies to general Igbo, but I have always seen di and no as virtually interchangeable, when it comes to positioning.

2) I don't believe the number of living things is relevant at all. Igbo nouns have no plural forms (or should I say they are both singular and plural) and that has never changed the way a verb is used with them. I've never associated (or had a reason to associate) the use of di and no with plurality and singularity, respectively.

In my understanding, the distinction for di lies in its relationship with ideophones. Unlike bu and (to a limited extent) no, the verb di has free range with ideophones (i.e. gburu gburu [bigness and roundness], feke feke [light and stiff], etc.). Bu and no can't enter that territory. The whole living and non-living thing is [to me] both new and unnecessary.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ezeagu(m): 6:30pm On Jan 22, 2013
achi4u: "nice to meet you"=="Odi m mma ifu/ihu gi.etc

I feel like I'm stumbling over words saying that and I feel like it's something no one will ever say in life. There's simply no "nice to meet you" in Igbo exactly that way, you simply say ndewo. It goes:

A: Ndewo
B: Ndewo
A: Gini wu aha gi
B: Vivian
A: Ehehe, okay, aham wu Okorie. Ndewo

That's it. There are too many attempts at transliterating English to Igbo. Ndewo covers "nice to meet you". I'm not trying to be offensive.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 7:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
ezeagu:

I feel like I'm stumbling over words saying that and I feel like it's something no one will ever say in life. There's simply no "nice to meet you" in Igbo exactly that way, you simply say ndewo. It goes:

That's it. There are too many attempts at transliterating English to Igbo. Ndewo covers "nice to meet you". I'm not trying to be offensive.

Exactly.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by somegirl1: 7:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for that Ezeagu.
I was going to say so myself. Never heard "o di mma ifu/ihu gi" or "ifu gi di mma" undecided

"Nk'a wu/bu anya gi?" is one way of expressing pleasure at meeting with an acquaintance.
"Nno" and "ibiala" are some other ways.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 22, 2013
I think Nnoo means exclusively You're Welcome.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by somegirl1: 7:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
J12: I think Nnoo means exclusively You're Welcome.

true, you welcome people you are supposedly pleased to see/ meet.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 23, 2013
ezeagu: I feel like I'm stumbling over words saying that and I feel like it's something no one will ever say in life. There's simply no "nice to meet you" in Igbo exactly that way, you simply say ndewo. It goes:

[size=13pt]It makes me wonder who's coming up with these apps and lessons as it appears as many of them are resembling literal translations like the earlier example of "good morning" (ututu oma).[/size]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by manny4life(m): 1:32am On Jan 23, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]Professors, nye m aka biko. Pronunciation help: is "ife gi amaka" (nice to meet you) pronounced as it looks (ife gee amaka) or as "ife g'amaka" (silent i)?

One more thing. "Ebe ka o di?" is "where is he/she?". If I wanted to say, "where is Chioma?", how would I say it? "Ebe ka Chioma?" "Ebe ka Chioma di?" The former looks/sounds correct to me.[/size]

To me o, ebe ka Chioma no, is the right one for me because "di" to me is applicable to an non living object

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 23, 2013
[size=13pt]Thank you Manny. I've definitely learned my lesson. Anything I read from these apps/online lessons will be taken with a grain of salt. I'm just imagining if I said "ife gi amaka" to someone new at the next Anambra meeting. Una saved my right cheek from redness and pain. Daalu soo lol.

Odumchi, you've got mail smiley[/size]

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 7:28am On Jan 23, 2013
Ogugua, itetana wink
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 23, 2013
Eze Promoe: Ogugua, itetana wink

She don go to bed.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 23, 2013
[size=13pt]Lol. Ke bu itetana?[/size]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by oboy3(m): 7:40am On Jan 23, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]Lol. Ke bu itetana?[/size]
are you awake

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (46) (Reply)

Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.