Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (44981 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / How Do I Say I Wan Fuk In Hausa And Yoruba Languages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Sammy107d(m): 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
There might be traces of Yoruba in Cuba, but it can't be said of the Caribbean in General. Apart from the governor general's residence with the name 'Ilaro court' and other traces like street names in Tobago, there's nothing Yoruba or Igbo in those places. As black people, we only look alike, of course...

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
duni04:
Very suspicious and probably fraudulent article. I've never heard of Igbo spoken outside the shores of this country. Igbo of the 13th century? When did the slave trade start? When did Christopher Colombus even discover America? The OP bera provide a link to this article angry

are you okay? why do you have to quote the whole thread for few sentences? i think seun should start asking for doctors reports for members like you
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by duni04(m): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2012
dahonestboss:

are you okay? why do you have to quote the whole thread for few sentences? i think seun should start asking for doctors reports for members like you
LOL...U actually wasted 2 minutes of your life posting this just to ask if I'm ok? SMH for u undecided
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by VirginFinder: 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2012
So many hidden posts.

I guess some people are jealous hence are posting trash cos the opening article centered around Yoruba.

The Igbo element was intentionally introduced by the Ukoh guy in order to belong.

I'm proud to be Yoruba anytime anyday.

Among other reasons, I'm Yoruba therefore I'll be great.

By God's grace.

4 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by slap1(m): 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2012
duni04:
LOL...U actually wasted 2 minutes of your life posting this just to ask if I'm ok?
And your answer was NO. Take corrections, dude.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by FreeGlobe(f): 12:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
how can a thread be this hidden and still make homepage. smh.
As far as I can say, Yoruba is only spoken in thr republic of benin, the person that said Yoruba is spoken by 3 non african countries is an idddiot. I dont want to talk about oduduwa before my comment is hidden too. grin

2 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by KINGwax(m): 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
duni04:
Very suspicious and probably fraudulent article. I've never heard of Igbo spoken outside the shores of this country. Igbo of the 13th century? When did the slave trade start? When did Christopher Colombus even discover America? The OP bera provide a link to this article angry
why is your post not hidden? Do u have to fuckin quote the whole article for this useless point? Ugh? Maddy!
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by DeSuper(m): 12:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
This is no news anymore, I have been to Brazil there I met many Yoruba speaking tribes but not Igbos. @ops...You make the article full of repetition, too long and boring to read when u could have been brief...
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by airmark(m): 12:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
FreeGlobe: how can a thread be this hidden and still make homepage. smh.
As far as I can say, Yoruba is only spoken in thr republic of benin, the person that said Yoruba is spoken by 3 non african countries is an idddiot. grin

You are an iddiotttaaaa, have you travelled all around the world to know that yoruba is only spoken in benin? Douchetard.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by azpekuliar: 12:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
abdulkayus: Y there are many hidden post? Hmmmm. And 1 confuse person is quotin d whole article again, haba, are u a newbie here?

You needed to see the tribal and ethnic war some guy started just because of the article. No surprises the posts have been hidden.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Chanchit: 12:42pm On Nov 11, 2012
Let me help the Op out, since he wants everybody to feel among... There's atribe that speaks hausa in Germany.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Iykopee(m): 12:42pm On Nov 11, 2012
Jaydruke: dis guy is suffering frm mumuity...help him pls!

And if u aint suffering from gr8 partial memory lose tell us where ur great grandpas originated.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 11, 2012
Virgin Finder:

The Igbo element was intentionally introduced by the Ukoh guy in order to belong.

Oh! Really? That's the daftest and most s.tupid comment I have read so far!
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Policewoman(f): 12:48pm On Nov 11, 2012
Why so many hidden posts?
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by duni04(m): 12:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
KINGwax: why is your post not hidden? Do u have to fuckin quote the whole article for this useless point? Ugh? Maddy!
LOL...guess i'm already a celeb on nairaland. We have people ignoring the topic and quoting my comments. I'm really flattered buh maybe u should face the topic and leave my comments alone. You're not even responding to the objectivity or otherwise of what I posted, you're just whining cos i quoted the whole article. Abeg face the topic and free me.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
This post has been hidden.

Why are you hiding posts on this thread?

@topic, how will this add money to my business
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bravehost4u(m): 12:53pm On Nov 11, 2012
Guys pls no doubts, it is for real... I am a witness
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by tpia1: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
And how long does it take to learn a language?

Anybody can do that.

13th century indeed.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by FreeGlobe(f): 12:55pm On Nov 11, 2012
airmark:

You are an iddiotttaaaa, have you travelled all around the world to know that yoruba is only spoken in benin? Douchetard.
shut up your dirty mouth, name the country where Yoruba is spoken indegenously apart from benin rep, you will soon call peckam, UK. retttard!
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by azimibraun: 12:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
Igbo and yoruba waka pass fulani.. Na dem b d real nomards.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
I really hate it when people quote the entire post, especially with articles as long as this. After painstakingly scrolling through the post itself on my old skool phone, I have to do so again 4-5 times just to read d comments! To the topic sha, why would this surprise u when most carebbeans where taken directly fom west Africa? Even the pidgin english spoken on many caribbean islands is similar to ours in Nigeria.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by kaydibs(f): 1:05pm On Nov 11, 2012
Virgin Finder: So many hidden posts.

I guess some people are jealous hence are posting trash cos the opening article centered around Yoruba.

I'm proud to be Yoruba anytime anyday.

Among other reasons, I'm Yoruba therefore I'll be great.

By God's grace.
Don't turn it into a Yoruba/ Igbo fight puhlease. I believe we are all proud of where we come from

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by alhajiwada(m): 1:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
duni04: Very suspicious and probably fraudulent article. I've never heard of Igbo spoken outside the shores of this country. Igbo of the 13th century? When did the slave trade start? When did Christopher Colombus even discover America? The OP bera provide a link to this article angry
God bless you! My thots exactly!!
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by ciphoenix: 1:09pm On Nov 11, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: I really hate it when people quote the entire post, especially with articles as long as this. After painstakingly scrolling through the post itself on my old skool phone, I have to do so again 4-5 times just to read d comments! To the topic sha, why would this surprise u when most carebbeans where taken directly fom west Africa? Even the pidgin english spoken on many caribbean islands is similar to ours in Nigeria.
well said.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
How is that incredible?

Something that is already known. Yoruba is spoken in atleast 3 other non-African countries.

Not everyone knew. I certainly didn't, so this is news to me.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by dotcomnamename: 1:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
How is that incredible?

Something that is already known. Yoruba is spoken in atleast 3 other non-African countries.

Can u name them pls
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Gozzzy(m): 1:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
bravehost4u: Guys pls no doubts, it is for real... I am a witness
Am not a yoruba, but its true that Naija and benin aint the only yoruba speaking countries, but as for Igbo, ma guy na only Naija o.... Ha ezughi abuo......
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by topsyking: 1:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
dotcom_na_me_na_me:

Can u name them pls
I only know of yoruba language been spoken in the carribean..Not ibo language..EVen angelique kidjo talked about it on bbc Hard talk..she never mention anytin like Igbo..
@op u just eon belong dats why u add Igbo to it
Dotcom my friend how far

2 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by juman(m): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
I always think of visiting Brazil and Cuba one day. May God give me courage to do so. Ameen.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by femifoly: 1:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
This is not a new story especially if you have visited the carribeans or south america. In cuba Yoruba is a religion, I guess they made it a religion(underground) so as not to loose their culture due to efforts by slave masters to divide the africans and prevent them from regrouping. I was surprised one day listening to one of my favorite group and heard one rapper mentioned Yoruba... Here`s one of their music videos, I hope you like it smiley wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1jN9V1-Ajs&feature=related
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by hagma37yahoocom: 1:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
i dont kno the percentage of igbo that will make heaven everywhere they are is either masquerade or juju abi ritual birds of the same fedas karebian and 9ja igbo mtwwwww
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by morzook(m): 2:01pm On Nov 11, 2012
I was writing a novel once, it centred around slavery and the yoruba culture. I did a lot of research and i can authoritatively say that yoruba is spoken in many Caribbean islands and the Americas.
There is a village called Oyotunji (Oyo has risen)in the USA where the spoken language is Yoruba and their is a king and they have their orishas that they worship and i think they even have their tribal marks. The village used to have a site, www.oyotunji.net , i don't think it functions anymore but you can still read about the village on wikipedia and google.
Yoruba culture is still very much alive in some parts of mexico, black mexicans, and the carribean all over. There are egungun festivals in trinidad, orixa in brazil, obatala shrines in pueto rico, exu odara is a very revered deity all over the Americas.

I can write about this forever... and yes am Yoruba. Proud Egba boy

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi's In Abuja For Tinubu's Birthday Event (Photos) / The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik / Ubang, Cross River, Nigerian Village Where Men & Women Speak Different Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.