Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,124 members, 7,838,857 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (45059 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / How Do I Say I Wan Fuk In Hausa And Yoruba Languages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by kwametut: 11:31am On Aug 16, 2014
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Louisiana 1719-1820
French Period 1719-1770 Louisian imported nearly over 5000 slaves they were mainly Sengegambians.
Spanish Period
1770-1803
Slaves from different African regions started coming into Louisiana.These were mainly from Angola-Congo slaves and Bight of Benin/Fon-Gbe and few Bight of Biafra slaves and Mozambiquens
American Period
1803-1820s
Slavers started importing more Angola-Congo slaves than any other African region, DR KEVIN ROBERTS calls this "ERA CONGOLIZATION OF LOUISIANA AND WIPING OFF SENEGAMBIAN LEGACY TOTALLY". kiss kiss kiss kiss undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Carriacou1985(f): 3:03pm On Mar 26, 2015
duni04:
Very suspicious and probably fraudulent article. I've never heard of Igbo spoken outside the shores of this country. Igbo of the 13th century? When did the slave trade start? When did Christopher Colombus even discover America? The OP bera provide a link to this article angry

I believe the article is not fraudulent. My mother is from a small island in the Caribbean, one which many people have never heard of named Carriacou. We have traditions such as big drum dancing which has been passed down through the many hundreds of years in order to hold on to their identity. This big drum dance is done at weddings, funerals ect to honour the ancestors and ask for their blessings. We in particular have a song we call the Igbo nation dance and I came to this website with the lyrics asking if any Igbo speakers could tell me the meaning. They said it seemed like corrupted Igbo but many could still price things together to make sense of it, I'm so fascinated by this. Unfortunately I couldn't upload the video here because I would have liked to know if the style of dancing comes from the Igbo women. There is deffinately traces of west african language and culture in the Caribbean but unfortunately my ancestors risked their lives to carry on this tradition, they would have been killed were they found to be communicating in their mother tounge.

If any body is interested you can watch the video on YouTube: Carriacou big drum. Ibo nation dance
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Ihuomadinihu: 6:03pm On Mar 26, 2015
Carriacou1985:

I believe the article is not fraudulent. My mother is from a small island in the Caribbean, one which many people have never heard of named Carriacou. We have traditions such as big drum dancing which has been passed down through the many hundreds of years in order to hold on to their identity. This big drum dance is done at weddings, funerals ect to honour the ancestors and ask for their blessings. We in particular have a song we call the Igbo nation dance and I came to this website with the lyrics asking if any Igbo speakers could tell me the meaning. They said it seemed like corrupted Igbo but many could still price things together to make sense of it, I'm so fascinated by this. Unfortunately I couldn't upload the video here because I would have liked to know if the style of dancing comes from the Igbo women. There is deffinately traces of west african language and culture in the Caribbean but unfortunately my ancestors risked their lives to carry on this tradition, they would have been killed were they found to be communicating in their mother tounge.

If any body is interested you can watch the video on YouTube: Carriacou big drum. Ibo nation dance
Pls can you post the lyrics again? Tnx.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Carriacou1985(f): 7:41pm On Mar 26, 2015
@ Ihuomadinihu

we call the Ibo nation dance, a song they sing and dance to is called: Ibole Ibole woy yo

The lyrics are as follows:

Gongo banan plantain me wo yo
Ibole Ibole woy yo
Hele bu Legba wo yo

Please bear in mind that this was passed down through song and no one can actually write in the Igbo language therefore some words are written in caribbean pronounciations.
I will also submit the response of some Igbo speakers who attempted to translate it for me.
Here are some pictures of the women doing the dance.

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Carriacou1985(f): 7:45pm On Mar 26, 2015
Could not copy and paste any responses
However, it was identified as Igbo Le Igbo le wo oo
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 26, 2015
Carriacou1985:
Could not copy and paste any responses
However, it was identified as Igbo Le Igbo le wo oo
Heya! I'm half Vincentian, hello neighbour kiss

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Carriacou1985(f): 9:46pm On Mar 26, 2015
We Caribbeans are taking over the Naija thread lol.... Hello... Do Vincentians have any african traditions that you can share? Always wanted to visit Union Island, heard it's very beautiful.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 26, 2015
Carriacou1985:
We Caribbeans are taking over the Naija thread lol.... Hello... Do Vincentians have any african traditions that you can share? Always wanted to visit Union Island, heard it's very beautiful.
Haha, not quite, but we have certainly reached grin

I don't know a tremendous amount of the deeper cultural traditions held by Vincentians. My grandparents moved to London early 60s and didn't really share much about St Vincent until I started asking questions and then visited myself a few years ago. My knowledge is more contemporary, and I couldn't say I've noticed more than the usual, more commonly known, indicators of African ancestry. But my knowledge is by no means vast, so perhaps with time I'll learn and understand more.

I've only ever been to Bequia. Union island, and most of those smaller islands, are praised by all who go there. I confess I hate small planes (Liat included) and the boat to Bequia from Kingstown almost shattered my circulatory system, so I've no idea when I'd reach the islands further afield grin.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by pazienza(m): 1:51am On Mar 27, 2015
Carriacou1985:
@ Ihuomadinihu

we call the Ibo nation dance, a song they sing and dance to is called: Ibole Ibole woy yo

Ibole Ibole woy yo
Hele bu Legba wo yo

Please bear in mind that this was passed down through song and no one can actually write in the Igbo language therefore some words are written in caribbean pronounciations.
I will also submit the response of some Igbo speakers who attempted to translate it for me.

Wow! This is good.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 4:37am On Mar 27, 2015
Carriacou1985:

You are very much allowed to. After all, you might be Igbo by ancestry. cheesy

I must confess that Nigeria, especially Igboland in particular, has not really done much to welcome Nigerian/Igbo descendants wishing to reconnect back to their roots, or welcome them back into the fold, grant residency and work permits, or establish Igbo language immersion schools for returning descendants to regain the language of their ancestors. In fact, Igbo people as a whole need to reach out to the people of Belize, Jamaica, Carriacou, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago and other areas of the Caribbean and South America with significant Igbo-descended populations willing to reconnect back to their Igbo ancestry, open and establish Igbo traditional and ancestral reconnection organizations in those countries, offer basic Igbo language learning classes, create and disperse pamphlets on basic Igbo names and their meanings to the people so they can adopt Igbo names (as one's name is one of the strongest identities one would ever have) and future children born could be given at least an Igbo name, thus regaining what was forcefully taken away from them 400 years ago, and organize tourism and visitations to Igboland, Nigeria where the returnees can actually view the land of their ancestors - a land blessed with natural resources and good soil texture very suitable for agriculture.

However, with time I think the lack of empathy will be corrected. wink

You are very much welcome on this forum and have every right on this forum as I do. Nno, nwanne m! (Welcome, my sibling!) cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:45am On Mar 27, 2015
Carriacou1985:
@ Ihuomadinihu

Ibole Ibole woy yo
Hele bu Legba wo yo

There is a striking similarity between Igbo drums, as shown below, used by Igbo men in native Igbo drumming and the drums used for the dance by the Carriacous. It goes a long way to also confirm a strong ancestral connection:

[img]http://cmsimg.newsleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AA&Date=20100918&Category=PHOTOGALLERIES02&ArtNo=9180804&Ref=PH&Item=90&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=60[/img]

Similar drum used for the John Canoe (Njoku Ji) festival in Belize, another area known to have imported a lot of Igbo slaves:

Notice the sharp difference with the Yoruba-style drums which are slender and longer, often lightweight enough to be hung down the shoulder and struck with a stick, contrasted with the Igbo drrum style that is often placed on the ground and beaten with the hands to create rhythmic patterns.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:02am On Mar 27, 2015

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Wulfruna(f): 1:29pm On May 13, 2015
Someone with half a brain would have figured out in seconds by using the bloody Internet that Curacao and Carriacou are two different frigging places! And that Carriacou was not a Dutch colony. But not Kwametut. Too dumb for that.

Carriacou1985, when you eventually return to this thread, try, try, not to engage this guy 'criswell'. He is a sick, lonely, retarded attention-seeking troll. Try to communicate with him and risk losing some brain cells. Seriously. smiley
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bigfrancis21: 2:31pm On May 13, 2015
Carriacou:

Curacao:

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Carriacou1985(f): 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
Flytefalls:

Heya! I'm half Vincentian, hello neighbour kiss

Hello neighbour sorry for late reply have been away and didn't want to be rude by not saying hi back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik / Photos Ooni Of Ife Before The Crown With His beautiful Daughter / Ubang, Cross River, Nigerian Village Where Men & Women Speak Different Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.