Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,379 members, 7,836,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (45044 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / How Do I Say I Wan Fuk In Hausa And Yoruba Languages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by toluene12: 2:09pm On Nov 11, 2012
Its obvious the yoruba culture shares similar xtics with those of some caribean and latino countries viz a viz language, music, food, dressing, traditional worship. There's even a yoruba song on the media list of cuba in encarta encyclopedia. Its called orisa oco.
However, the 13th century thing looks dubious to me, i guess these people were slaves smuggled into the americas after the slave trade had been outlawed in the nineteenth century. Because of their illegal status, the slaves could not be integrated into the larger society and culture, thus they lived together longer than expected and were able to retain and stengthen the cultures and traditions they brought from africa.
My opinion though, i'm not an anthropologist.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by ebere1712: 2:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
Yoroslaves hahahahahahahaha grin Useless mgbatis
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Mrchippychappy(m): 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by dnawah(m): 2:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
FreeGlobe: how can a thread be this hidden and still make homepage. smh.
As far as I can say, Yoruba is only spoken in thr republic of benin, the person that said Yoruba is spoken by 3 non african countries is an idddiot. I dont want to talk about oduduwa before my comment is hidden too. grin
he is correct it is also in Togo.but there they are called Anagwo(4rm a place call Agwue)they also do egu,landlord trave and see.
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by dnawah(m): 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
FreeGlobe: how can a thread be this hidden and still make homepage. smh.
As far as I can say, Yoruba is only spoken in thr republic of benin, the person that said Yoruba is spoken by 3 non african countries is an idddiot. I dont want to talk about oduduwa before my comment is hidden too. grin
also in Togo.but there they are called Anagwo(4rm a place call Agwue)they also do egu,
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by juman(m): 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
dnawah: also in Togo.but there they are called Anagwo(4rm a place call Agwue)they also do egu,

Hmmmm
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Saintsquare(m): 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
morzook: I was writing a novel once, it centred around slavery and the yoruba culture. I did a lot of research and i can authoritatively say that yoruba is spoken in many Caribbean islands and the Americas.
There is a village called Oyotunji (Oyo has risen)in the USA where the spoken language is Yoruba and their is a king and they have their orishas that they worship and i think they even have their tribal marks. The village used to have a site, www.oyotunji.net , i don't think it functions anymore but you can still read about the village on wikipedia and google.
Yoruba culture is still very much alive in some parts of mexico, black mexicans, and the carribean all over. There are egungun festivals in trinidad, orixa in brazil, obatala shrines in pueto rico, exu odara is a very revered deity all over the Americas.

I can write about this forever... and yes am Yoruba. Proud Egba boy
Egba omo Lisabi,I also heard that a part in cuba worship Sango [god of thunder].

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by dnawah(m): 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2012
juman:

Hmmmm
Togo is not far u can go see 4 urself o!
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by TableLeg(m): 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
Common knowledge ... Not new to me!
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by bdyke: 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
Waste of time..
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by tevinsolt: 2:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
there are videos on youtube, there is a yoruba village in North carolina inhabited by people that still practice yoruba festival and rituals also brazil, cuba, trinidad and tobago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SDMpCcWxXM
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by tevinsolt: 2:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by topsyking: 3:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
tevinsolt: there are videos on youtube, there is a yoruba village in North carolina inhabited by people that still practice yoruba festival and rituals also brazil, cuba, trinidad and tobago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SDMpCcWxXM

Guy its in south carolina not north..and its oyotunji village in south carolina..they do have king, ritual,worship gods and do incissions on the bodies too....African culture to d core
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by topsyking: 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
Source for history student
yeyeolade./2008/03/15/a-yoruba-village-in-south-carolina-amerikkka/
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Esinwaju: 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
ebere1712: Yoroslaves hahahahahahahaha grin Useless mgbatis
Yoroslaves? I have read all manners of condescending stuff about my tribe here on nairaland. I laugh at some of those posts because of the witty nature and crafty play with words while some do get under my skin for real but this one? I can't laugh because it ain't even funny and even you know it's pretty lame, that's why you had to laugh to your own post just to make yourself feel good about your mental inadequacy and it's just too asinine to have me riled up. And you called them useless because they are of Yoruba ancenstry but if they had been of Igbo descent you would by now be shooting off that misfiring gun you call a mouth about how you guys are everywhere like the jews and what have you? Deal with the hurt in your butt. It will heal.

7 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by ciphoenix: 3:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
nigerians are everywhere i large communities perhaps. Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. Big Deal. Mtcheww angry
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Smartjeezy(m): 3:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
I met couple of yoruba speaking caribeans and spaniards in spain some years back...
My dad nephew name is Ehitaryo means eyitayo in yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Bezed(m): 3:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
How is that incredible?

Something that is already known. Yoruba is spoken in atleast 3 other non-African countries.

whic non african countries abeg
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by topsyking: 3:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
MICHELLE OBAMA IS A YORUBA WOMAN
most black people from south carolina believe
they are yorubas. And michelle Obama
greatgreat father is from south carolina. his
name is Jim Robinson. Do a google search.
You would also discovery that even till today,
the people of south carolina still claim they are
yorubas and they even created and still have a
yoruba villages in south carolina one of such
villages is called Oyotunji village. So do a
google search on Oyotunji village.
The first lady of the USA is a Yoruba woman.
And we Yorubas are very happy. Our daughter
is first lady of the USA.
And the other person, Michelle Obama was a
greatgrand child of a yoruba slave. Why,
history shows that Africa american . half of the
african american slave were yorubas , a total of
about 700,000 slave.
Yoruba Religion gods were know to have been
found and still be worship in several state in the
united state. This gods still have the same name
with those gods still use in africa. The names of
this gods are Sango, ogun, orisha, Which group
in africa have sango, ogun or orisha, Do the
igbo gods bear sango, ogun or orisha, or do
fulani or hausa have any gods called sango,
ogun or orisha. ?? No.

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by ciphoenix: 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Bezed(m): 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2012
duni04: Very suspicious and probably fraudulent article. I've never heard of Igbo spoken outside the shores of this country. Igbo of the 13th century? When did the slave trade start? When did Christopher Colombus even discover America? The OP bera provide a link to this article angry
according to an article i read once in wikipedia, a fraction of equatorial guinea, speaks a certain kind of igbo
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Something stinks here undecided is it tribalism
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by phreakabit(m): 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
I still believe the Yorubas are more widely spread geographically than the Igbos. . . . Its a well known fact that many of the Aborigines in Australia and Papau New Guinea are Youbas.

2 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2012
phreakabit: I still believe the Yorubas are more widely spread geographically than the Igbos. . . . Its a well known fact that many of the Aborigines in Australia and Papau New Guinea are Youbas.

Is that sarcasm, or what? undecided

If it's, it isn't funny at all...
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
Yoruba language is widely spoken in: Tobago, Cuba, Barbados, Oyotunji in USA, Bahia(Brazil), Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, New Cross(Jamaica), Equador, Dominican republic etc..

And they also worship the Orishas... They're more Yorubacentric than most Yoruba people in Nigeria... undecided
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by eldoc2003(m): 4:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
DeSuper: This is no news anymore, I have been to Brazil there I met many Yoruba speaking tribes but not Igbos. @ops...You make the article full of repetition, too long and boring to read when u could have been brief...

How will it change the price of garri
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by phreakabit(m): 4:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx:

Is that sarcasm, or what? undecided

If it's, it isn't funny at all...

I wasn't joking. . . I was simply stating what years research have found. . . The facial structure and cultural similarities can be used to validate these claims. I am sorry if it offends you. sad

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by PaulJohn1: 4:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
Just ran accross this as @topsyking has said

Kingdom of Oyotunji African Village

Sheldon, South Carolina
The Kingdom of Oyotunji African Village covers 27 acres and has, well, we don't know exactly how many citizens (5 to 9 families in the last ten years, according to one tipster).Oyotunji is not part of the United States, according to King (Oba) Ofuntola Oseijeman Adelabu Adefunmi I, who founded it in 1970 and moved it to its present site near Sheldon because its old neighbors complained about the tourists.
Oyotunji literature pictures its happy residents dressed in colorful, flowing robes. On our brief visit we saw only people dressed like average South Carolinians. But the people of Oyotunji do live in the woods, surrounded by exotic concrete monuments, and they have a royal palace. In its courtyard stands the mausoleum of Orisamola Awolowo, one of the founding fathers of Oyotunji, who died in 1990.

August 2006: Adesoye Adeyini wrote to us: "His Royal Highness, Oba Adefunmi I (iba ara torun, roughly translated as 'rest in peace') joined the ancestors on February 11, 2005. In Yoruba culture, the king is not announced as dead, but as having 'gone up the ceiling' (Oba wo aja)".
"It is important to note that the Oba was the first African-American to ever be initiated into the priesthood and initiation cult of any African traditional religion. Furthermore, he did not start his own religion and there is no separation between Yoruba culture and religion...the religion is one part of the whole culture. Religion, arts, philosophy, etc. are all things that create culture."

Kingdom of Oyotunji African Village

Address:
56 Bryant Ln., Sheldon, SC

Directions:
Just south of Yemassee. I-95 exit for US 17. Drive east for 1.5 miles, then bear right on Trask Parkway (US 17/21). Drive around three miles, and look for Bryant Lane/Safari Rd. on the left.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11601

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Yujin(m): 4:20pm On Nov 11, 2012
This is no news as students of history should know about the trans-atlantic slave trade. What is of note is that the Yoruba culture and diction survived well unlike that of other tribes Igbo inclusive. Written records clearly showed that more Igbos were shipped away than the Yorubas but how comes it was that of latter that survived? I think it has to do with organization of the tribes, their adaptability to change(attitude towards foreign influence) and the period they were featured in the course of the slave trade. Yorubas have larger settlements that gave them that early sense of communal/cultural identities unlike the Igbos that were segmented and highly conscious of their clans. This helped the Yorubas cement their culture wherever they were taken once they notice any similarity among the slaves. Unlike the Igbos who are mostly linked by diction with dissimilar customs e.g Olaudah Equiano of the 16th century noted that he saw some Igbos in London and the labourers in the sugarcane plantation in Haiti were people of his own stock(possibly because he understood them). Secondly, the Igbos do not hesitate to make changes when they encounter things that is quite unusual whether good or bad(this is still evident today) unlike the Yorubas that are conservative and skeptical of change (this is still evident today). Finally, I think the Yorubas featured more towards the ending part of slave trade e.g Bishop Ajayi Crowther, while the demand for the Igbos dwindled due to their suicidal tendencies.
Ceteris paribus, they are welcome home.

3 Likes

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by PaulJohn1: 4:20pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx: Yoruba language is widely spoken in: Tobago, Cuba, Barbados, Oyotunji in USA, Bahia(Brazil), Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, New Cross(Jamaica), Equador, Dominican republic etc..

And they also worship the Orishas... They're more Yorubacentric than most Yoruba people in Nigeria... undecided

Even than me from Osun(source)? angry just because they worship some powerless gods undecided
You this Ijebu boy
Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
Paul John:
Even than me from Osun(source)? angry just because they worship some powerless gods undecided
You this Ijebu boy

Is your god more powerful than theirs?

Belief system is an ideology created to enhance consciousness and relationship between human beings and their environment vis-a-vis the universe...

Being Yoruba is deeper than just being from Osun, it's a way-of-life and ancestral background...

They have Yoruba ancestry just like you, however, they lead a more Yorubacentric lifestyle than most of you do - peep the difference.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
phreakabit:

I wasn't joking. . . I was simply stating what years research have found. . . The facial structure and cultural similarities can be used to validate these claims. I am sorry if it offends you. sad

Can you post a proof??

I'm not disputing your claims and there's absolutely nothing bad in being related to those people..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Fattening Rooms Of The Efik / Photos Ooni Of Ife Before The Crown With His beautiful Daughter / Ubang, Cross River, Nigerian Village Where Men & Women Speak Different Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.