Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family (7250 Views)

Elderly Nigerian Couple On A Romantic Date At A Park / 15 Items That Can Save Your Family’s Life / Why Do Women Stop Taking Care Of Themselves After Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2012
debrief08: Miss Ife, I understand and you have said everything, she weighed it all and that's what she wants. Don't feel guilty just do your best to call and visit as much as you can
Jidegirl, I don't always say the right thing, I can only say what I think which may be right or wrong. There is no right or wrong, right to you may be wrong to someone else.

Maybe it is not what you say sometimes but how you say it- you might want to look into that.

1 Like

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
Oga Tunji Good morning to you too, please kindly get off my back ehnn and find fulfilment somewhere else this monday morning.
Debrief owes you nothing on nairaland, find satisfaction with real people and real things in life stop following peoples wives up and down Nairaland, I really don't care what you think oh, find your level, face your front.
Me I no send you. When you see me waka pass because apart from views I have no relationship with you. I share my points and am not here to impress you. Get over it, you can't control me what I say or how I say it. Get off.
Thank you and enjoy your day, hope I said it well?
I won't be looking into anything by the way, you should look into following married women and jumping into wetin no cencern you.

2 Likes

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 12:33pm On Nov 12, 2012
debrief08: Oga Tunji Good morning to you too, please kindly get off my back ehnn and find fulfilment somewhere else this monday morning.
Debrief owes you nothing on nairaland, find satisfaction with real people and real things in life stop following peoples wives up and down Nairaland, I really don't care what you think oh, find your level, face your front.
Me I no send you. When you see me waka pass because apart from views I have no relationship with you. I share my points and am not here to impress you. Get over it, you can't control me what I say or how I say it. Get off.
Thank you and enjoy your day, hope I said it well?
I won't be looking into anything by the way, you should look into following married women and jumping into wetin no cencern you.

Wow! Look at how you just proved my point. Na wa O.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 12, 2012
I don't think any SANE person will choose a home, rather a life surrounded by her friends and family . . . I could be wrong dou!

Obviously the woman sees herself as a burden and let's face it, that's what she will be. But she has earned the right to be that burden!

It's like shipping your kids off to bruden school because school run will be stressful. Like buying your food from a restaurant cos cooking will be strefful!

I live in Nigeria and old people's home are not really that common around here, but even if they were, I wont comit any of my family to a home . . . . good staff or not!

1 Like

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 12:45pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ujujoan: I don't think any SANE person will choose a home, rather a life surrounded by her friends and family . . . I could be wrong dou!

Obviously the woman sees herself as a burden and let's face it, that's what she will be. But she has earned the right to be that burden!

It's like shipping your kids off to bruden school because school run will be stressful. Like buying your food from a restaurant cos cooking will be strefful!

I live in Nigeria and old people's home are not really that common around here, but even if they were, I wont comit any of my family to a home . . . . good staff or not!

Amen.

1 Like

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
debrief08: Oga Tunji Good morning to you too, please kindly get off my back ehnn and find fulfilment somewhere else this monday morning.

Debrief, relax. No one's perfect, we all make mistakes. It's how we cope with these mistakes, what we learn from them that defines who we are. I think that's what Tunji was trying to get across.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2012
Oga Seina, I respect you a lot that's why am responding, usually anything regardling Tunji especially his snide remarks and attacks I ignore.
He believes everyone must live in a box he has created, he regulalry makes condescending comments. If you followed this thread, the part he quoted Jidegirl was actually giving me a compliment and I was correcting an impression she had of me that I always post right answers. I don't, and I always say it, when I am wrong, am first to admit it.
I am not proud and have nothing against corrections, Tunji am sorry comes accross as controling and condesending, he ropes you into what you think is a logical arguement and then says stuff like "women you people are never satisfied " I can't take generalisation.
I have tried really tried to be patient and reason with him but there is no point, he is who he is I am who I am, I don't go around bothering him and he really shouldn't do the same. See how he took a friendly innocent exchange and tried to turn it to something else, if I was silly, I would start thinking that Jide actually meant bad when she didn't. He likes adding salt to innocent issues and comes accross with bantering when you dot agree with him like a market woman, later when he has put fire he will come and sneak and pretend to be a peace maker.
He should spare me, I don't get into these things and I ignore him he should do the same

1 Like

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
No grand ma of mine is stepping foot in an aged care home
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
debrief08: Oga Seina, I respect you a lot that's why am responding, usually anything regardling Tunji especially his snide remarks and attacks I ignore.
He believes everyone must live in a box he has created, he regulalry makes condescending comments. If you followed this thread, the part he quoted Jidegirl was actually giving me a compliment and I was correcting an impression she had of me that I always post right answers. I don't, and I always say it, when I am wrong, am first to admit it.
I am not proud and have nothing against corrections, Tunji am sorry comes accross as controling and condesending, he ropes you into what you think is a logical arguement and then says stuff like "women you people are never satisfied " I can't take generalisation.
I have tried really tried to be patient and reason with him but there is no point, he is who he is I am who I am, I don't go around bothering him and he really shouldn't do the same. See how he took a friendly innocent exchange and tried to turn it to something else, if I was silly, I would start thinking that Jide actually meant bad when she didn't. He likes adding salt to innocent issues and comes accross with bantering when you dot agree with him like a market woman, later when he has put fire he will come and sneak and pretend to be a peace maker.
He should spare me, I don't get into these things and I ignore him he should do the same

LMAO . . .

I'm sorry I'm laughing madam DB, but this sounds like conspiracy theory. I know mac can be annoying but I think you are giving him too much importance.

Just dont let him get to you too much!
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 12, 2012
Didn't BB post on some thread that maclatunji had left this section?
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
^^^ I wish that were true . . . We have enough confusionsists here as it is!
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
Get to me ke? I normally ignore him while he earnestly seeks the attention he obviously lacks in real life but today when he clearly seeks to cause wahala between two women having a mature discussion I have to tell him off.
Person wey I dey talk to no get beef na man carry talk wa turn am to unnecessary wahala. God pass am sha.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 2:32pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ujujoan: ^^^ I wish that were true . . . We have enough confusionsists here as it is!

Hey! Maybe, I don't get the full picture sometimes but I am never a "confusionist". Don't get me started with you. tongue
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2012
maclatunji:

Hey! Maybe, I don't get the full picture sometimes but I am never a "confusionist". Don't get me started with you. tongue

ooooooohhhhhh . . . I'm trembling in my boots and peeing in my pants!
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 2:43pm On Nov 12, 2012
debrief08: Get to me ke? I normally ignore him while he earnestly seeks the attention he obviously lacks in real life but today when he clearly seeks to cause wahala between two women having a mature discussion I have to tell him off.
Person wey I dey talk to no get beef na man carry talk wa turn am to unnecessary wahala. God pass am sha.

You really need to cool down. I knew you and Jidegirl weren't going for each other's throat and you were being reflective in the part of your post I bolded.

I just felt like making a friendly observation which had no malintent and you just lost your temper.

Lady, I don't look down on people, I have no reason to. So, you got that wrong... I guess something about me just creeps you out.

I mean you no harm or offence but still stick with what I said.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 2:47pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ujujoan:

ooooooohhhhhh . . . I'm trembling in my boots and peeing in my pants!

LOL. Stop being sarcastic. grin
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by tpia1: 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
Siena:

Do you see this thread as pointless?

Yes.

Asking a question- how do you take care of the elderly in your family, is different from i need nlers to come and validate me for whatever.

What exactly is the quandary the op is facing?
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by MissIfe(f): 7:23pm On Nov 12, 2012
The good thing about it all is that I had the opportunity to discuss this with my mom, and since I know her opinion on retirement home and what she wants when she gets old, I can keep this in mind for the future.

As for my grandmother, I also can't believe that is what she really wants, I tried to tell her that helping people and taking care of family members is not only a duty but something we can enjoy, but she wouldn't change her mind. I wonder... will try to talk to some other uncles/aunties to get their opinion.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 12, 2012
Not again! He's like a virus!
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
Miss_Ife: The good thing about it all is that I had the opportunity to discuss this with my mom, and since I know her opinion on retirement home and what she wants when she gets old, I can keep this in mind for the future.

As for my grandmother, I also can't believe that is what she really wants, I tried to tell her that helping people and taking care of family members is not only a duty but something we can enjoy, but she wouldn't change her mind. I wonder... will try to talk to some other uncles/aunties to get their opinion.

Stop bothering yourself with guilt.... leave her be.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by MissIfe(f): 7:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
tpia1:

Yes.

Asking a question- how do you take care of the elderly in your family, is different from i need nlers to come and validate me for whatever.

I actually asked that question. I talked about my own situation just to let people understand why I was asking. I would appreciate it if you'd talk about your own situation, how you actually take care of the elderly in your family. You don't have to comment what i wrote about my own.

1 Like

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Emary(f): 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
I grew up with my grand mother who was often ill in her last days and it's not easy taking care of them no matter how good your intentions maybe. It is a full time job. At the home, your mother has people of her age to talk to and believe me, this keeps them going. You could however start taking her home about twice a month especially on weekends when you'll all be home. That way, she'll get the best of both lives and not be a burden to you. She knows what she's saying because she comes from a generation that bore that responsibility and has probably seen how it affected others. As a mother, she will only want the very best for you and your mom.

1 Like

Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 10:42pm On Nov 12, 2012
^Your post is right on the money. I could have been saying all the nice things about how an elderly parent should live with family but reality has tempered my opinion on this issue.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 12, 2012
So what arrangement/ care plan would you have for your aged mom or dad Mac?
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 12:24am On Nov 13, 2012
jidegirl12: So what arrangement/ care plan would you have for your aged mom or dad Mac?

They should live with family but when they become too weak and family cannot abandon work to exclusively take care of them, find a caregiver that can stay with them at home, if for some reason you can't keep them at home permanently. Find the best old people's home you can and pay them regular visits or have them visit you for weekends/holidays.

It's tough and can be sad sometimes but someone said: "life isn't a bed of roses".
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 12:41am On Nov 13, 2012
Fair enough Mac, but the thot of them being a burden is just what I can't comprehend , these folks went thru a lot for us ( well for people with good childhood & upbringing)

what's left for them to live is not always long compared to how long we'd live,

It's even cheaper in Nigeria where all househelp cost 15-20k/ 30days , what we need is God's abundance .
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Emary(f): 12:49am On Nov 13, 2012
It's not the aged themselves that are burdens. It is the accompanying ailments, loss of memories and frustrations that come with extreme aging. If you have cared for a sick child, imagine it on a larger scale when they are not in good health.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 1:00am On Nov 13, 2012
Well a loot and I mean lot comes with aging such as dementia and related symptoms ..

only a dying person or your termed extreme aging will be compared with a terminally sick child( which I don't pray for) , that's when they need to be taken to palliative care/ hospice for end of life care and that's understandable.... Because well it's time....
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 13, 2012
And the frustrations you are talking about is no different from dealing with a 2 year old when you have to repeat yourself gazillions times before they chose to listen or not.... it's not a piece of cake I know it but we have to be ready to care for them when that stage comes.... life's not all about us... we can't live it for ourselves only( mom's quote ).
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 8:32am On Nov 13, 2012
Emary: It's not the aged themselves that are burdens. It is the accompanying ailments, loss of memories and frustrations that come with extreme aging. If you have cared for a sick child, imagine it on a larger scale when they are not in good health.

You really know and understand what you are talking about. The elderly can be worse than children, they still have moral authority over you. You can't yell at them or spank them for being hard-headed or difficult even if they can't really help themselves.
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 13, 2012
Miss_Ife:

I actually asked that question. I talked about my own situation just to let people understand why I was asking. I would appreciate it if you'd talk about your own situation, how you actually take care of the elderly in your family. You don't have to comment what i wrote about my own.

Actually it was sounding more like you were trying to get justification for your actions!

You couldn't emphasise more how 'good' the nursing home is . . . neat, efficient staff, lets her go out e.t.c.

If it's really that good, then why are you worried
Re: Taking Care Of The Elderly In Your Family by maclatunji: 8:34am On Nov 13, 2012
jidegirl12: And the frustrations you are talking about is no different from dealing with a 2 year old when you have to repeat yourself gazillions times before they chose to listen or not.... it's not a piece of cake I know it but we have to be ready to care for them when that stage comes.... life's not all about us... we can't live it for ourselves only( mom's quote ).

Experience is the best teacher... don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in the elderly living and dying with their loved ones around them but I also am realistic enough to know that it may not be practical sometimes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Come In Here For Your Tokunbo (US, UK, Germany) Items / How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month / Who Ensures Sanitation Most In Your Home Between Your Mom And Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.