Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? (19062 Views)

BOI To Reduce Unemployment Rate By Single Digit / What Is The Proper Way Of Sending CV Through Email? / Is It Proper To Quit So Soon?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by toprealman: 11:38pm On Feb 01, 2013
manny4life: Why would any prospective employer ask for age, isn't that discriminatory?

Ans to your question, NO it isn't proper. If I were a recruiter, I will fire you before you could even say "it was the devil". Lying to get a job is totally unacceptable, that's why I pity those who beef up their resume because when they find out, some sins aren't forgivable. Let alone a Christian, that a NO NO...Don't even think about it.
unfortunately in Nigeria they ask for all sorts; age,state, religion,marital status...even before you sign the dotted line. Competence should be the benchmark not all these trivial index.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by jude33084(m): 11:42pm On Feb 01, 2013
just try ask your papa tongue how many years him dey claim for work, you will be surprise he will be 30yrs younger undecided
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by victorazy(m): 11:45pm On Feb 01, 2013
Age just a number
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Orblonde: 11:47pm On Feb 01, 2013
If you don't have the connection you may have no choice. Nigeria is a horrible place without connection.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by jude33084(m): 11:48pm On Feb 01, 2013
victorazy: Age just a number

repeat it when you are 65 yrs grin
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by ubong560(m): 11:53pm On Feb 01, 2013
Na today? E don tey abegi. Abi are u a learner? Investigate Jonathan's official age and u will discover some reduction there. It's done everywher. Societal factors are the major cause of it. Things are not happening when they shld happen thus the age reduction to suit the current status. However, it shld have limit. It will be ridiculous for a wo/man of 50yrs to present a certificate indicating she/he is 35. Reduction of 5yrs and less is more considerate and reasonable. No be our fault. Dont say i said it!!!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by bakusha(m): 11:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
Most of una jt dy form wetin una no fit do,i knw most of d ppu talking r d once dt NECO helpd out in given u al d A's waec wld neva issue out jt lk dt, 4d ppu dt knws bk in d days wy waec dy waec ppu 4 house, jamb also add him own 2d peper. Dnt u tink dn nuba kps counting n d so called education system kps destrolling al d li2 time u r 2spent @ d institution. Nw u wants 2 work ur employer askd 4a age limit of 24yrs do dy tink everybdy s a kid n do dy knw hw many jobs such tin hs bn bringing him/her down of nt gtting d job b4 tinking of a short cut 2gt wht he want? @ OP, 4me it s wise 2do it if u v d original source of gting it 4d job 2b urs.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Orblonde: 12:10am On Feb 02, 2013
If you don't have the connection you may have no choice. Nigeria is a horrible place without connections.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by jhydebaba(m): 12:22am On Feb 02, 2013
Reduce my age shocked no tongue well, in 9ja, anything goes cheesy
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 02, 2013
People say It's very hard to get a job in Nigeria so I can safely conclude that all's fair in love and war.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Adedi2: 12:35am On Feb 02, 2013
Na so life be o.. If it realy necesary,that would be the case
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by ibrobell(m): 12:57am On Feb 02, 2013
People do things worst than that to get jobs. Give out bribes, some ladies sleep with employers. Compare age reduction to that.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by taharqa: 12:57am On Feb 02, 2013
NO...smtime I can never bring myself to doing. It wud be like Lying for the rest of one's life....... Howeva, there is a lot of temptatn in today's Nigeria to do it; am one of those persons who strongly bliv that it shld be Criminal for any employer to ask for the age of an applicant and base his/her employment on that- it shld be a crime just like in oda advancd climes..
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by tellwisdom: 1:01am On Feb 02, 2013
All these factory workers sef, no go let person hear word. sad sad

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by ijebabe: 1:08am On Feb 02, 2013
It is not proper but we should know when to play smart #doublestandards embarassed
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by otumfour(m): 1:16am On Feb 02, 2013
And all yee aspiring footballers say "fu-c-k yeh"
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by LFJ: 1:19am On Feb 02, 2013
When insane people ask you insane question they don't expect any other response than insane response. If somebody ask for your age to give you job, he is just requesting to give him number that will make him happy. Jesus has nothing to do one useless person sitting in his office setting criterial without consider the reality of our own society.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 02, 2013
Soon, somebody would ask " Is it proper to sleep with ones sister to get her pregnant since it has become difficult for her husband to do so"?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by emmabest2000(m): 1:30am On Feb 02, 2013
it is only the truth u know and do shall set u free ,
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 2:09am On Feb 02, 2013
It depends on where you are. Since this is nairaland, I will assume that you mean "to get a job in Nigeria", so I will answer it from a Nigerian point of view.

Since recruitment in Nigeria is now a dirty game, you have to play dirty as well. Yes, you can reduce your age.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by KayDee4: 3:16am On Feb 02, 2013
Lol !!! I don't blame people who do it jor.

Some companies employ based on age which is discriminatory and in some cases, they fix unrealistic limits without taking into account time wasted in school due to strikes, precious time wasted on NYSC, time wasted waiting for NYSC call-up and so on. At the end of the day, they say you have to be 23,24,25 to apply.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by admajorem: 3:26am On Feb 02, 2013
I laugh taya oo! If u reduce ur age, u reduce ur date of death. Haaaaaa! Wen u meet Baba God, He ask u ur DOB. If u ask in return, original abi d oda 1. Satan go say: Oga Jesus, abeg na my costoma be dis. Eeeh na u talk, giv 2 siza wat belong 2 siza and 2 God wat belong 2 God.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by JOYCEOUS(f): 3:32am On Feb 02, 2013
Gombs: Na girls dem sabi do am pass...even for marriage sakes....eg for obudu whr I dey serve, u go see mumsi n popsi dem wey say dem dey 29....u go start dey wonder weda NYSC,jobs,marriage get 'football' age too..

I tire o,thr's no reason justifiable for dat action...at all.
na gals dy do am pas & u mntion popsi dem (na gals dm b too?)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by ujoatu(m): 3:34am On Feb 02, 2013
admajorem: I laugh taya oo! If u reduce ur age, u reduce ur date of death. Haaaaaa! Wen u meet Baba God, He ask u ur DOB. If u ask in return, original abi d oda 1. Satan go say: Oga Jesus, abeg na my costoma be dis. Eeeh na u talk, giv 2 siza wat belong 2 siza and 2 God wat belong 2 God.
LWKMD
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Aafulenu(f): 5:40am On Feb 02, 2013
Pidivine: what if your age is increased would you still go ahead to use it that way?

my age was increased mistakenly in my waec and ave been using it that way eva since
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by oluchelkzy01(m): 5:42am On Feb 02, 2013
Why must u tel lie in ur life. Use ur normal age. It z bad to have job age becos it z a sin
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 5:56am On Feb 02, 2013
Well it is not proper in any sense. But I guess that is one of the fallout of the flaws in our society. Here, I have never seen any job ad with age requirement never! All employers focus on competency. I think what we failed to understand in our society is that given the economic situation that when you come up with some kind of funny "laws" people will tend to do anything just to get around it in order to survive. Quite sad but true!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by DWJOBScom(m): 5:57am On Feb 02, 2013
From the following feeds I see among u guys(those in agreement with age falsification) as the same guys spilling a lot on corruption in naija!!!!!!!

Its a pity - pls don't do

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by cardoso111(m): 6:09am On Feb 02, 2013
No declaration of age is a demon that has robbed many people ofgenuine employment.Many who would have retired are still holdinng tigjtly to their job out of fear!they robbed the youth of any opening to employment today!No employer has given any new job in the last several years!Most media adverts are a fluke.Few exceptions though!God help us all amen
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Orikinla(m): 6:12am On Feb 02, 2013
It is common among Nigerians to reduce their age for employment and to delay their retirement in the civil service and military service. Some Nigerians reduce their ages by 5 to 10 years like our footballers. A 23 year old claiming to be 15 so that he could play for the under 17 Golden Eaglets.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by politician(m): 6:14am On Feb 02, 2013
Nigerians can be delusional!!

We lie to ourselves on the premises of religion!!

If the job is yours, God will give it to you!!

Let's cut that crap pls! Just like when folks already have access to aptitude test questions or know
Somebody I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ HR.

Its not right to reduce your age but folks

Nothing is right or wrong!!

Truth is subjective!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by delors(m): 6:18am On Feb 02, 2013
alfredo4u: if na govt work, i go reduce my age sharply. if na church i go use my normal age. give Jesus his own, ceaser his own. Lol
Bros, if na for football nko? I trust u...alfredoma... grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can One Get A Government Job Without Connection? / Bank Marketers Now Accept Double Job Offers: Outcome Of Slave Salary! / Mactay Consulting Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.