Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,249 members, 7,829,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? (5268 Views)

International Media Rate Nigeria Africa's No 1 Investment Destination / Nigerians Rate Nigeria Police Force Under Current IGP / Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria (press Release) On Cynthia's Murder Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Tunjman(m): 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
The press theory in operation in this part of the world today is AUTHORITARIAN. Journalists are always at the whims and caprices of their employers who are either politicians or businessmen benefiting from the government of the day and he who pays the piper they say dictates the tune.The owners of media outfits control the content of their papers thereby, compromising objectivity.

To me,Nigeria does not have an independent press so, the WATCHDOG responsibility of the press cannot be achieved. Another point is that our journalists are too lazy to engage in investigative journalism especially in this computer age where it is easy for them to sit in the comfort of their offices and lift unverified stories online and publish same...My lecturer calls this kind of practice "Armchair journalism"

1 Like

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by lolaluv1(f): 5:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
Investigative journalism is down the drain as nobody wants to be blown into a million bits à la Dele Giwa.

Btw, impartiality by the press is a fallacy everywhere in the world. Close critical analysis of the media will convince you that the press is always a tool in the hands of its owners and can never be truly impartial!

I think 'TELL' and 'The Guardian' are amongst the few that have a semblance of what the print media should be about!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 13, 2012
Olodo grin
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by duality(m): 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2012
Nigeria's press is same with nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by SisiKill1: 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2012
There's a Nigerian Press??!! shocked shocked
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by tomakint: 5:58pm On Nov 13, 2012
eledalo:

Bros do you know the meaning of gloat?
Sure! Are you saying our Press don't treat real issues in an arrogant and unpleasant way? Relate that to the way I used it in my post!
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by tomakint: 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2012
Sisi_Kill: There's a Nigerian Press??!! shocked shocked
Don't tell me you don't know lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by tomakint: 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2012
Tunjman: The press theory in operation in this part of the world today is AUTHORITARIAN. Journalists are always at the whims and caprices of their employers who are either politicians or businessmen benefiting from the government of the day and he who pays the piper they say dictates the tune.The owners of media outfits control the content of their papers thereby, compromising objectivity.

To me,Nigeria does not have an independent press so, the WATCHDOG responsibility of the press cannot be achieved. Another point is that our journalists are too lazy to engage in investigative journalism especially in this computer age where it is easy for them to sit in the comfort of their offices and lift unverified stories online and publish same...My lecturer calls this kind of practice "Armchair journalism"

You captured the whole point imaginatively and stated them succinctly well! Good job
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by dilbert100: 6:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by badpeople: 6:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
I love channels television, am their fan since year 2000, they are well package, good broadcasters like LADI AKEREDOLU ALE,YORI FOLARIN and others, i never miss sunrise then ,its every saturdays not weekdays
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Abujafood: 6:30pm On Nov 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

This post has been rated as an oxymoron

No pun intended

Of course it must always be you! The one and only full time critic of Nairaland!
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Horus(m): 6:31pm On Nov 13, 2012
Bacteriocin: As far as I'm concerned, journalism is dead in this country.
Government owned media are always on the other side, and private media are also owned by politicians or their friends. Who go give you correct news?

Amateur journalists bloggers are not owned by anyone and are often more objective in journalism.
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by dabrake(m): 6:34pm On Nov 13, 2012
Abujafood:

Of course it must always be you! The one and only full time ARA GA GBA NDI ARA of Nairaland!
FIXED
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by hrhobi1(m): 6:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
Okija_juju: Nigerian Journalist are all like this guy... .. Lazy egbo smoking punks.. angry

Abroad.. When once a story breaks, a journalist sees it as an opportuinity to become famous.. Christiana Amanpour and co.. Look at the David Patreas story, the BBC scandal, more stories on the matter keeps coming out.. In Naija, after that headline, they will repeat the same story until a new scandal breaks out then they jump ship.

Till now, No journalist has investigated the Subsidy story, Faroukgate, Ribadu report, e.t.c.. angry

since 5 30 nobody like ur post , kai men ur rappa don fall for market place

1 Like

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
Does Nigeria have any Press?
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Bamsdayo(m): 7:03pm On Nov 13, 2012
eledalo:

Bros do you know the meaning of gloat?
hey man keep shut,wethin be the meaning of TOTO?
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by markus1133: 7:03pm On Nov 13, 2012
mostly lazy
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by sleekdot(m): 7:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
Silly topic.

The Nigerian press is like the press everywhere in the world
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Ticklishmummy(f): 7:14pm On Nov 13, 2012
Without much ado,Nigeria's press rating -0
Thanks.
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
The Nigerian press is just as redundant as those in other parts of the world, including the so-called developed countries...

Sensationalism and spreading half-truths and outright lies for the sake propaganda killed journalism - so, it's not just the Nigerian press... undecided
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Chartey(m): 7:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
especially if u compare to probably less resourced ghanaian media which r very investigative and compete among each other
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2012
You guys slap all types of Bullshit on the front page
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Sagamite(m): 7:31pm On Nov 13, 2012
Abujafood: With the exception of www.Abujafood.com and a few others, I'll say not too impressed! Not blowing my trumpet by the way, merely stating facts as they are.

This is coming from the same person that opened this thread?

https://www.nairaland.com/1077961/best-first-lady-nigeria-ever

You exemplify the creinous fucktards that make up the Nigerian Press.

Majority are under-educated, moronic, corruptable slimeballs with the brain power of a cross breed between a Dodo and a Xmas Turkey.

The only journalist I can confirm is dumber than you is Kemi Lawal of the Punch!
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by SamAfrik(m): 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
Guys, this isnt abt d govt's hold but pure unprofessionalism. Wat do u say to d reporter taking close shots of dead pple?
Also, social/human angle stories are distorted and even leave readers wit more questns.
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Sagamite(m): 7:34pm On Nov 13, 2012
I have been saying it for a long time. They are useless.

https://www.nairaland.com/343996/useless-journalism-nigeria-name-shame
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
Do some of you read international news at all? - if you do, then you would know that the Nigerian press is pretty much like the foreign ones....

Investigative journalism is dead everywhere, period...

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by decrox199(m): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
a good example of irony is saying TheNation newspaper is d most balanced...junk journalism of d highest height
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by eggheaders(m): 8:00pm On Nov 13, 2012
shymexx: Do some of you read international news at all? - if you do, then you would know that the Nigerian press is pretty much like the foreign ones....

Investigative journalism is dead everywhere, period...

mainstream media is just bullshit.unfortunately most Nigerians take their shits hook line and sinker.BBC is now engrossed in shit,fox abi na faux keep doling out wrong info doing the election.it all about mind control. infowars.coml
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by SamAfrik(m): 8:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Lots of professionalism is also needed in d electronic media, especially d national station NTA.
In summary all sectors in Nigeria need to be more professional in their duties.
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
eggheaders:
mainstream media is just bullshit.unfortunately most Nigerians take their shits hook line and sinker.BBC is now engrossed in shit,fox abi na faux keep doling out wrong info doing the election.it all about mind control. infowars.coml

You're definitely an egghead - salute!

CNN, BBC, MSNBC, FOX et al are probably worse than the Nigerian media...

Don't even talk about foreign newspapers... grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
Nigeria is one of the most disorganized countries in the world. From the way we run our government, the way we run our education, religion, business and finance, our security etc, hence the press/media shouldn't be left out. They're a subculture of the greater nigerian culture of disorganization and they are bound to change when the general culture changes.
Re: How Do You Rate Nigeria's Press? by tpapi: 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
They r talented in misquotin pple

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prediction Of Pastor Osinbajo's Future / Onitsha Is The ‘most Polluted’ City In The World. WHO / The Deadly Truth Of The Western Region Assembly Cross-carpeting Accusation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.