Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ (9815 Views)

Buhari Bars Incoming Ministers From Using Long Convoys, Appointing Excess Aides / Buhari Warns Airport Officials Against Stopping Ex-ministers From Travelling / Buhari: Why My Meetings With Jonathan Last Less Than 15 Minutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by fatdon2(m): 1:12pm On Nov 14, 2012
The Presidency has banned ministers and heads of parastatals from using mobile phones during meetings with President Goodluck Jonathan.

Also, the government has issued an alert on increasing robbers’ attacks on Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) in Lagos.

The ban on ministers and other top government officials from making calls, was as a result of rampant cases of phone calls and texting at official meetings, including during the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

It was gathered that the mobile phone indulgence has caused distractions at sensitive meetings.

Findings revealed that some ministers and top government officials hide under the guise of seeking clarifications on issues or emergency challenges to use mobile phones at meetings.

The presidency has told the ministers to stop the habit through a circular signed by the Chief of Staff to the President, Chief Mike Oghiadome.

The circular has been sent to all ministers and chief executives of government agencies.

The circular reads: “Following the observation of some individuals using their mobile phones whilst Mr. President presides over meetings, it has become necessary to state that the use of mobile phones in meetings being attended by Mr. President is now prohibited.

“Please ensure phones are either left with security personnel in the relevant meeting room or switched off.

“Henceforth, responding to calls or texting or having a phone interrupt proceedings at a meeting will not be tolerated.”

A source in government said: “The ban became necessary because some ministers have been losing focus at meetings because of phone calls and text messaging. This development has affected the quality of outcome of important meetings. It is even a slight to pick calls when the President is presiding over any meeting.

“In line with our transformation agenda, there is no way we can allow this trend to continue. Some ministers are already under watch over this improper conduct.”

In another development, the presidency has sent a security alert to Minister of Finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Minister of Police Affairs, Mr. Caleb Olubolade, on how armed robbers are targeting ATMs, hotels and drinking spots since the cashless policy was introduced in Lagos .

The alert was contained in a circular signed for the Secretary to the Government of the Federation by A.G. Ibrahim.

The directive reads: “I am directed to inform you of a report which reveals that armed robbers in Lagos have resorted to attacking Automated Teller Machines and their users following the implementation of cashless economy.

“According to the report, armed robbers hover around banks and hotels with ATM and trail customers to unsuspected areas to attack while others attack ATM in less secured environment.

“The development suggests that criminal elements may be devising a new strategy to perpetrate their nefarious activities following introduction of cashless economy.

“The need for security managers to evolve measures to protect the ATM and their users is therefore advised. It is also important to collaborate with media managers to sensitise the public on necessary safety measures. The foregoing is forwarded for your information.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/presidency-bans-ministers-from-phone-calls/

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by amaham(m): 1:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
Guess de presido don't want a cell-phone detonated IED to burst open his clueless skull

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by fatdon2(m): 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by GARRIx7(m): 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
Show's how they've been taking FEC meetings unseriously....... undecided undecided undecided

13 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Fhemmmy: 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2012
amaham: Guess de presido don't want a cell-phone detonated IED to burst open his clueless skull

You wicked no be small oh
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by harlos: 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2012
But I though in meetings phone calls are not allowed

5 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Okijajuju1(m): 4:16pm On Nov 14, 2012
...[Dont know what to post.. Too busy enjoying the Kwara State Carnival .. >>>

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by omoajiri(m): 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2012
Why dem no go dey chat on dem BB wen egbon Odechukwu no dey inspire dem again?
Infact, na flogging dem deserve. Very rude people dey use phone infront bros Jonah.
I guess na Buhari dey send dem text & na boko haram dey call dem.
Awon oponu......

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by bubadaniel13: 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2012
amaham: Guess de presido don't want a cell-phone detonated IED to burst open his clueless skull
u need to resume medication.

6 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by doja(m): 4:18pm On Nov 14, 2012
Seriously? Do you need a circular to implement this?

5 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by phraoh(m): 4:18pm On Nov 14, 2012
harlos: But I though in meetings phone calls are not allowed

I always thought so too....Guess the present FEC is a joke.....
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Arosa(m): 4:18pm On Nov 14, 2012
Nigerians don't know how to switch off their phones when they are in a meeting. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by packman: 4:18pm On Nov 14, 2012
[size=20pt]NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE.....THIS KIND OF MATTER IS NOT SUPPOSE TO...BE A PUBLIC NEWS.......

ITS AN IN-HOUSE MATTER......WTF ? angry angry angry angry angry[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2012
Good move.

Highly rude and disrespectful to pick up calls during meetings.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by BeraBera(f): 4:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
You need a clueless doctor to check your clueless brain

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 14, 2012
Goes to show you what clueless leaders we have.Arranging rendezvous with strange women while supposedly discussing the affairs of the land.

5 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by BeraBera(f): 4:23pm On Nov 14, 2012
It's high time Nigerians learnt how to be disciplined and exercise self-restraint at official events. People need to be in control of their obsessive urges

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by harlos: 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
phraoh:

I always thought so too....Guess the present FEC is a joke.....
joke indeed.
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by RealMccoy2(m): 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
Nigerians and moral values. I guess answering phone calls during meeting was not added to the "we are cultured people" (as they all like to say) creed before now? SMH

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
Shows the level of disrespect our President is getting! (sighing)

How did we as a nation, degenerate this bad? Presidents should have the aura and posture that commands a near reference composure, I should think! A disrespect to a nations leadership directly or indirectly, is a slap on that nation? It is strange that, it is at this point that decorum is now being declared? Bet it, if I am president, I will not issue this circular, I would just use a few as escape goat. I will through SSS get the details of their conversation and any that is a deviation from "official clarification" of issues required during such meetings will be sanctioned heavily. Just one instance is enough to put non-conformer in order!

A leader needs guts and assertiveness in our part of the world.

7 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by dunmorris(m): 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
Mtn Dom Suffer
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by omicron(m): 4:26pm On Nov 14, 2012
Before nko?
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by chreldb(m): 4:28pm On Nov 14, 2012
Have not read the topic but will comment judging from the title. As ministers and members of the federal executive council they should be disciplined enough to know that when having a meeting with the president and commander in chief their phones should be swithced off. Answering phone calls duriing FEC meetings only shows their empty headedness, disrespect for the offie of the president as well as scorn and disdain for the person with the intials GEJ

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by harlos: 4:28pm On Nov 14, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Good move.

but it shouldn't be allowed in the first place if they are seriously thinking on the betterment of yhe nation.
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 14, 2012
They should be banned from having a phone during a meeting
Period!
And if your phone does as much as buzz or chime,you should be fined heavily.Since they want to act like middle school kids,they ought to be treated as such.
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by maclatunji: 4:29pm On Nov 14, 2012
Duh! It should have been a rule put in place a long time ago.
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Good move.

Nigerians can be so uncultured
I have seen people's phone go off in the middle of a Church service and they pick it and talk shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Fhemmmy: 4:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
maclatunji: Duh! It should have been a rule put in place a long time ago.

Very true, cos it is common sense that when yu are in a meeting, even when not with a president, your phone either on silence or shut off, it is common courtesy that does not needed to be told or be made into a rule, but in a nation like our that we have elected $$$$ heads as leader, we ave to tell them the right thing to do . . Shame

1 Like

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by bigtt76(f): 4:34pm On Nov 14, 2012
Hahahaha like Oronsonye said the last time ..'and so what?'. Discipline has reduced greatly, I can imagine Dieziani or some other minister for example in meetjng with GEJ ..abruptly fone rings and picks up fone saying to President 'oga abeg make I pick this call ya' hahaha

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by Freezle(m): 4:35pm On Nov 14, 2012
Thanks good, because structure has to be brought during meeting sections.
Re: Presidency Bans Ministers From Phone Calls During Meetings With GEJ by danjohn: 4:35pm On Nov 14, 2012
I am not even a fan of GEJ and I think that this is very disrespectful. Cant these people put their phones on silent? GEJ is really timid. This is the type of thing that you nip in the bud. The first time a phone rings, you simply say "Minister Lagbaja, we are having a meeting, your call can wait. And that goes to all of you." After you do that once, everybody knows that taking calls during meetings is unacceptable. Shikena!!! This story makes the President look very weak.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Commence With Free Meals For 5.5million School Children From September / 4 Reasons Nigerians Cannot Afford To Have Atiku In Aso Rock – Tonye Barcanista / Gej's Incompetence Will Kill Us All If We Are Not Careful.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.