Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,537 members, 7,816,309 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

World Class Religious Debates - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / World Class Religious Debates (4330 Views)

Portrait Of Pope Benedict Xvi Made Of Condoms Sparks Debates (photo) / Nabeel Qureshi Debates The Son Of Man / Faithful Followers Of Christ Should Stop Religious Debates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Class Religious Debates by MrAnony1(m): 7:28am On Nov 18, 2012
wiegraf:

Anony, you've read many dictionary entries, they all give priority to the definition which includes religion, even the one our genius uses. In fact quite a few don't even use your definition. Yet you somehow think yourself the expert and declared them all wrong. The word was coined by xtian theologists. The wiki entry has a list of apologist organizations etc. There are even pantheist apologists. No mention of agnostics, let alone atheists involved in any 'apologist' organizations whatsoever. Makes sense since they're not religions (not sure what pantheists were doing associating themselves with apologists) Heck, even deists don't bother with the term, and they do believe in god(s). Of course you expect all this to be ignored and you create atheist apologists. Is there any period in time when you're not deluded?
Lol, what are you talking about? I accept definitions that link apologetics to christianity, I also accept definitions that refer to the defence of other positions as well. I have not declared either of them wrong.

If anyone is declaring a definition wrong here, it is you my friend. Mr Atheist apologist.
Re: World Class Religious Debates by vedaxcool(m): 8:00am On Nov 18, 2012
wiegraf:

Compared to vedaxx a rabid dog would seem reasonble. With sweetnecta yes, it's the indoctrintion that gets in the way. Like say crazyman

When a woman decides to misappropriate words that his parents possibly used in describing her being an atheist to others is rather the sad state of being a gaytheist my bad atheist! I guess the whole conversation
Possibly went something like this,

Wiwi grab: dad I am atheist!

Daddy Wiwi grab: son are you high right now?

Wiwi grab: yes, but there is no god nor does the my existence makes sense!

Daddy wiwi grab: you see son being on wiwi makes a rabid dog in comparison more reasonable! So son don't take drugs give it to the Nigaaaz! grin

Wiwi grab: I am high right now coz there is no atheist apologist!

Daddy wiwi grab stands up to slap him . . .

Mommy wiwi grab stops him and says: look wiwi grab, you are a crazy man, you are high even the ogres in the word are more decent than you, how dare u insult god, all because u are high?

Wiwi grab: I know who u are!

Mommy wiwi grab picks up a stick a planks him in the head ever since them it has been from one neurosurgery to another trying hard to fix the high velocity impact of the plank on wiwi grab head, but till date wiwi grab is being fed drugs to keep the pain away, and she still insist that there is no god, we keep praying god aid her recovery from brain damage.

The above story is fictional if it happens to resemble your life then it is merely coincidental! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Mr_Anony:

I think this definition pretty much sums it up

Yes but we happen to be dealing with individuals who have no ability to distinguish between good and evil, hence lying seems honorable, and my initial definition was taken from wiki, now lie graft is quoting the same wiki to prove his point yet the boy whom many priests took turns in molesting (who rather than seek psychological assistence prefer denying god) insist the definition 2 I posted must be incorrect and he has a better definition!

What sums up their situation is they have no God, they cannot appreciate as we do the consequence of lying! The easiest way to know you have beaten this ignoromus is the fact they engage in insults and name calling when their puny brain cannot handle matured discussion!

Q.E.D

Unfollowing!
cool
Re: World Class Religious Debates by wiegraf: 8:17am On Nov 18, 2012
Mr_Anony:
All well and good. I have seen that the definitions you chose for the word apologetics are geared at christians only. Well those are not a correct representatation of the meaning of the word. The word comes from the Greek word "apologia" which means to explain a position. whenever you debate, you are engaging in apologetics. However, I can understand your confusion because the word apologetics has been christianized like the words salvation, redemption, covenant etc but let us not dwell on words and meanings at this point let us move on to burden of proof and reasons for not believing.

I'll use your quote to show you what I mean.

"there is no reason to" here is a non-answer.

Let us say I asked you why don't you believe in Santa and you said that there is no reason, and ask me for evidence

I reply that Santa brings the presents and I have seen him,

The moment you start arguing that the person that brings the presents is not Santa but daddy dressed in funny red clothes, you are providing and explaining your reason why you don't believe.

When I reply that daddy never says "Ho Ho Ho" in a weird voice. And you respond that daddy just makes his voice sound like that, you are defending your reason for not believing in santa ..... and so on and so forth.

By this time you are now fully engaged in Non-Santa apologetics as opposed to my Santa apologetics.

Hating the word apologetics doesn't change the fact that Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins are atheist apologists same as you, logicboy, cyrexx e.t.c.

Re: World Class Religious Debates by MrAnony1(m): 8:35am On Nov 18, 2012
vedaxcool:
Yes but we happen to be dealing with individuals who have no ability to distinguish between good and evil, hence lying seems honorable, and my initial definition was taken from wiki, now lie graft is quoting the same wiki to prove his point yet the boy whom many priests took turns in molesting (who rather than seek psychological assistence prefer denying god) insist the definition 2 I posted must be incorrect and he has a better definition!

What sums up their situation is they have no God, they cannot appreciate as we do the consequence of lying! The easiest way to know you have beaten this ignoromus is the fact they engage in insults and name calling when their puny brain cannot handle matured discussion!

Q.E.D

Unfollowing!
cool
I get your point but the bold was just plain wrong and uncalled for.
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 18, 2012
vedaxcool:

When a woman decides to misappropriate words that his parents possibly used in describing her being an atheist to others is rather the sad state of being a gaytheist my bad atheist! I guess the whole conversation
Possibly went something like this,

Wiwi grab: dad I am atheist!

Daddy Wiwi grab: son are you high right now?

Wiwi grab: yes, but there is no god nor does the my existence makes sense!

Daddy wiwi grab: you see son being on wiwi makes a rabid dog in comparison more reasonable! So son don't take drugs give it to the Nigaaaz! grin

Wiwi grab: I am high right now coz there is no atheist apologist!

Daddy wiwi grab stands up to slap him . . .

Mommy wiwi grab stops him and says: look wiwi grab, you are a crazy man, you are high even the ogres in the word are more decent than you, how dare u insult god, all because u are high?

Wiwi grab: I know who u are!

Mommy wiwi grab picks up a stick a planks him in the head ever since them it has been from one neurosurgery to another trying hard to fix the high velocity impact of the plank on wiwi grab head, but till date wiwi grab is being fed drugs to keep the pain away, and she still insist that there is no god, we keep praying god aid her recovery from brain damage.

The above story is fictional if it happens to resemble your life then it is merely coincidental! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Vedaxcool I laughed so much.

Your head no correct at all grin
Re: World Class Religious Debates by wiegraf: 9:12am On Nov 18, 2012
fellis:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Vedaxcool I laughed so much.

Your head no correct at all grin

cheesy
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 18, 2012
wiegraf:

cheesy

You also found it funny? smiley
Re: World Class Religious Debates by wiegraf: 9:15am On Nov 18, 2012
fellis:

You also found it funny? smiley

Mayhaps if I were a 9 year old
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 18, 2012
wiegraf:

Mayhaps if I were a 9 year old

lol, you know it was funny grin

You just won't admit it cos he was making fun of atheists.
Re: World Class Religious Debates by wiegraf: 9:22am On Nov 18, 2012
fellis:

Ok
Re: World Class Religious Debates by MrAnony1(m): 9:22am On Nov 18, 2012
fellis:

It wasn't funny, it was childish in my opinion but then you are entitled to yours sha
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

a•pol•o•get•ics n. (used with a sing. verb) 1.
The branch of theology that is concerned with
defending or proving the alleged truth of
Christian doctrines. 2. Formal argumentation in
defense of something, such as a position or
system.

Definition 2 is a meaningless definition. So, if I claim that Vedaxcool is an Arabic name and you disagree with explanaitions of how Arabic language works- would you then be engaging in "name apoligetics" defending your name?

Apologetics mostly relates to a religion or religious position.
a lie, try amusing me by showing me the root of the word "apologetics"!
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 2:55pm On Nov 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

Fail......I left the trap open for yu to fail. I think this is how I will be debate dubious theists like you.

Apologetics has to mostly with religion. What I did not mention was that outside religion, apologetics can only apply to an ideology or a philosophy or a body of thought. You fail because atheism is none of these.

You cant engage in apologetics for arsenal football club or for eba preparation. You make it silly when you apply it outside a philosphy or ideology.

You made example of communist apologist- communism is an ideology not atheism.

-~Vedaxcool owned.
cool, so atheism isnt a body of thought? It must be abt thoughtlesnes

1 Like

Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2012
Ubenedictus: cool, so atheism isnt a body of thought? It must be abt thoughtlesnes

Did you make that comment out of malice or ignorance? Or both?
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2012
Ubenedictus: a lie, try amusing me by showing me the root of the word "apologetics"!

root of a word and the meaning are most of the time very different in meaning. wink

Surely, you should know this
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 9:31am On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Did you make that comment out of malice or ignorance? Or both?
none of the above!
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 9:33am On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

root of a word and the meaning are most of the time very different in meaning. wink

Surely, you should know this
wow! Really? Biology is still defined accding to d root words bio and logos, or is that an exception to ur different-meaning rule?
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: wow! Really? Biology is still defined accding to d root words bio and logos, or is that an exception to ur different-meaning rule?

root--apologia

roots----bio + logo
Re: World Class Religious Debates by vedaxcool(m): 10:35am On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: cool, so atheism isnt a body of thought? It must be abt thoughtlesnes

none could have put it better!
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 22, 2012
vedaxcool:

none could have put it better!

undecided

Cheerleading nonsense again?
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 10:47am On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

root--apologia

roots----bio + logo
and apologia doesnt mean defending a position?
Re: World Class Religious Debates by vedaxcool(m): 10:48am On Nov 22, 2012
the saddening effect of the truth no doubt! grin grin grin grin
Logicboy03:

undecided

Cheerleading nonsense again?
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: and apologia doesnt mean defending a position?

Apologia means "to defend".

Apologetics means something much more than to defend. It is mostly in a religious context.

Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense"wink is the discipline of defending a position (often religious) through the systematic use of information. Early Christian writers (c. 120–220) who defended their faith against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called apologists.[1]

That is the point. That is why it is called a "root". Just like a tree is much more than the root.
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 11:02am On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Apologia means "to defend".

Apologetics means something much more than to defend. It is mostly in a religious context.

That is the point. That is why it is called a "root". Just like a tree is much more than the root.
often in a religious context doesnt mean only in a religious context!
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: often in a religious context doesnt mean only in a religious context!

The main point is that it doesnt apply to atheism. To make it apply to atheism is to make it aplly to a whole lot of things lacking an ideology eg a dsibelief in Santa claus, sophistry etc
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

The main point is that it doesnt apply to atheism. To make it apply to atheism is to make it aplly to a whole lot of things lacking an ideology eg a dsibelief in Santa claus, sophistry etc
so atheism isnt a body of thought? I ask a 2nd time!
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: so atheism isnt a body of thought? I ask a 2nd time!

It is not. It is only a theological stance on the exustence of god.
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 7:18pm On Nov 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

It is not. It is only a theological stance on the exustence of god.
dont worry i'll certainly remind u of this one day, atheism isnt a body of thought! Amen
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 23, 2012
Ubenedictus: dont worry i'll certainly remind u of this one day, atheism isnt a body of thought! Amen

Epic fail of a threat wink
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

Epic fail of a threat wink
it was no threat man! Cool off! Atheism isnt a body of thought, it even isnt a position to it cant be defended becos apologetic is defending a position!
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 24, 2012
Ubenedictus: it was no threat man! Cool off! Atheism isnt a body of thought, it even isnt a position to it cant be defended becos apologetic is defending a position!

atheism is only a stance on the existence of god.
Re: World Class Religious Debates by Ubenedictus(m): 12:28am On Nov 25, 2012
Logicboy03:

atheism is only a stance on the existence of god.
and it isn't a stance what defending, so no one shuld give an apologia on atheism. Wow!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beware Of Covetousness / Is There Really Only One God (everyone Z Welcomed) / I Used To Be A Born Again Christian Before I Saw The Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.