Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,937 members, 7,817,747 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools (60579 Views)

Which University Has The Highest Rate Of Cultism In Nigeria? / Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by prinzgeini(m): 5:01pm On Jan 05, 2007
this topic doe's not only concern boy's. girls pls speak up on this ok
some girls are mother's of confratanity dey belong to some female cults lik black bra and co
, girls react to thiS

[i]SAY NO TO CULTS
[/i]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Mystique(f): 12:46pm On Jan 10, 2007
Well, I schooled in Uniben, and i dare say: the way the so called "frat men" comported themselves back in school, was anything but decent,

Students were murdered, Lives were lost, people were expelled, residences were burnt, all sorts of havoc, . And any time the rival cults are going to 'war' students can not leave thier houses, so as not to be hit by stray bullets etc etc,

I really do not think we shld encourage cultism in any way, the history of cultism is the least of our problems, eradicaticating cultism should be the focus here,

sad sad sad
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by ubamu2029: 10:41pm On Jan 11, 2007
gadson:

havent read all what is being posted on this beautiful site i will like to add one orr two comment . u see the aim and focus of the founding fathers of pyrate confraternity is to librate the oppresed, but its unfortunate that all other group that erupted after it have turn that those dream to something else with the exeption of the buccaneer confraternity. ther were some comment onthem too on this site i will tell u categorically that buccaneer is the most organised group today of which i am a member. i join the group at about seven yers ago while in school and the primary aim we had then was our academics we had the highesy GP then not because we had two intimidate our lecturer but through hard work and perciviarance.we are the neatly dressed guys on campus and we don't retalliate just like that if we are being offended.we beleive in dialogu if all group could bee like buccaneer confraternity there would be peace in our schools.and i also want to comment on what somebody said about bolaji keru as far as im concern bolaji meant no harm he left pyrate to form buccaneer and he taught us all the rules of pyrate that is why we have things in common with them so the issue of buccaneer being the cause of violent does not arise pyrate & buccaneer are one . alora silourd sail on

Man, you don't write like one who had good grade point average 7 years ago. Your comments are grossly flawed by grammatical nonsense.

And to all of you who are cultists be you seadog, seafish, buccaneer, or whatever, shame on you. "The minds of your fathers are dead and you are guided by your mothers spirits". You must one day account for the blood of those you killed.

Wole started it as a young man. What surprises me is that as he approaches his dotage, he still dances rubbish music and drink blood with children in the bush. And when you ask them, they are quick to tell you that bank managers, VC's and other professionals are represented in their work of cultism.

And do you know pyrates are trying to register a party in nigeria? Let them come to the open and tell nigerians that nonsense. Thank God Iwu is too much for them.

I wish Buhari had more time to deal with them.

Cultism is bad, no matter how you look at it. Pyrate is the father and mother of other cult group. "We pulled out universities long time ago", the nonsense they keep on telling us, yet every day they recruit in our universities.

No serious minded student ever joins cultism. It is for those who want to pass by threatning their lecturers, wrestling girls from other students because they are too weak to get theirs. They often graduate with mean results and rely on their few colleagues who made it life for survival.

They are the minority of our society which is why this thread hardly gets response.

Shame on you all!!!!!
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by sabumbj(m): 1:42am On Jan 26, 2007
Cultism! This is a topic I will like to contribute. There is nothing good in it. It's very funny because when I was in school, U.I, a lot of guys thought I was in one cult or the other. If you find out, most of this guys end up going into crime after school; I know a lot of them and have had imbroglio with them. It's not only in Nigeria we have cults though. In the US, there is Skulls n Bones which practically every politician is a member. Check: http://www.rotten.com/library/conspiracy/skull-and-bones/ But in Nigeria cults are just breeding grounds for criminals. It's nothing more than that. Talking of Buccaneers, they're bunch of criminals. When I was in school, one of them was arrested for stealing a car. [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by drjolly: 4:17pm On Feb 01, 2007
Its amazing, reading with interest the unanimous opinion that the spate of violence in Nigeria's universities is worrisome and disturbing. I make bold to dislodge uncle wole from any blame emanating from the purported transformation of a institutionalized organisation to that of violent- oriented.
we are intellectuals in our various field of study, its quite evident that Nigeria as a country was able to run a standard university system only in the 60s and 70s when the system had enough facilities in place,self-dependent orientation and freedom of association within the confine of the law were promulgated in the academic environment. can we relate this scenario to our current day university environment? should we say because democratic system of government was started by the Greece and because Nigeria deviated from its principles, so we should cast the blame on Greece?
You cant blame uncle wole for inventing a vehicle of freedom which was later hijacked by selfish mediocre.
This aura of violence will continue until we as a nation is able to checkmate all manner of corruption,bring to book all who have looted the nations treasury and above all run an egalitarian society;which if vividly probed is what the constitutions of some of the confraternities advocated contrary to what the cultists do.
The onus is on us to continue to propagate the real essence of brotherhood and peace,

'alora, may we sail ruggedly to reach the treasure'
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by sabumbj(m): 9:46pm On Feb 01, 2007
I agree with Dr. Jolly, you can't blame Wole Soyinka. When they set up Pirates, their goals were different from what the hooligans we have in our higher Institutions are up to these days.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by kamuzuB(m): 9:30am On Feb 07, 2007
The issue of cultism cannot be solved on the pages of newspapers or this forum. The government should set up a commission that would include university dons, students, graduate and undergraduate cult members, former cult members, religious leaders, traditional rulers etc. I was a cult member in school, i know what i am talking about.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Bassey231(m): 8:36pm On May 31, 2007
I will be last person to denounce Brodas Accross Nation.All my life I saw cultism as Evil and Non Human,but when the facts became known issues became clear.Buccaneers are not CULTISTS.We are members of a noble CONFRATERNITY who seek to uplift the values of mankind;values like being your brother's keper,abstenance from soceital evils etc.It's just a pity that as human beings God gave 2 eyes,2 ears,2 nostrils and one mouth,but we tend to use our mouths more.We,and other so called groups never call ourselves CULTS.For example,we have Pyrates Confraternity,Brodas Accross Nation,NeoBlack Movement,Klansman Konfraternity, etc.It's the press,who in a bid to sell stories paint gory pictures of these confraternities.As for Buccaneers,we don't drink blood,steal,rape,rob,victimize or other things like that.We are SEALORDS.Life is all about sailing for life itself is a sea.Its true that we engage in some clashes with other groups,but who would'nt fight when oppressed?Its also true that there are some Lords of disreputable character-these so called corrupt rulers of today attend churches and mosques,but their pastors and Imams dont remand them.Instead they are praised-meaning?If corruption can eat its way into a religious organization what of a social group.Please let sleeping dogs lie.The press should look for other things to talk about.BUCCANEERS are men of distinct character,we take our studies and every other aspect of life serious.We are JOLLY fellows.To all my S***T*D and D**K Lords,May Our **U* n**er **o* in our ***n.AWMN.Let all Lords cease to TC.If you have anything to c*p,log into www.alorasealords.com and sail.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by PANCHOVILA: 10:56pm On May 31, 2007
AVAST there Bassey something,

by your nominal you share a surname with person among BAN that can speak with oomph. However if you advise all your brothers to "yarn or TC" on your private website alone, wherein lies the benefit of sharing ideas that will rid our institutions of unnecessary violence.

Secondly it is well to sell the ruggedity of your frat with pain or gain, all men worth their "salt coatedness" will do that but like above the problem still persists. Kindly profer solutions to the current rot and maybe some good will come out of it.

More salt to your elbow however for the continued education of the uninformed.

Pancho Villa (from the first)
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Bassey231(m): 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2007
I still advise lords not to TC on this lobbish cyber ground.If there is anything we LORDS must say concerning the good of this noble fraternity then it should be on cyber island.As for solutions towards eradicating frat induced violence(because lets face it,we cannot eradicate freaternities),the following steps should be taken (1) Undergrads below 200 level should never be initiated (2) Anybody with a GPA below 2.5 should not be initiated (3) Autonomy should be removed from campuses and placed in the hands of RESPONSIBLE WORKING CLASS frat members,who must have graduated (3) Giving new initiates a sound and intellectual orientation during initiation rites (4) Telling new initiates that they are not superior and thus should desist from trouble,but they should stand when troubled (5) Dismembering any member who goes against the ethics of the society,by handing such persons to the correct authorities (6) Generally letting initiates know that there is more to life than the rigours of campus life.It is a common lobbish saying in BAN that he who graduates is rugged.If all tese issues are brought up at national converges of different frats,then Nigerians will get to know that Fraternities are not as Bad as Press Men paint them to be.All rugged Lords of SLK DK,SXN DK,HNDRS DK,ATL DK,BMAS DK,ESP DK, I echo Awuplenty plenty for you all.May we sail to treasure land
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by nanaboi(m): 1:48pm On Jun 05, 2007
Yea-Yeah. Afta all said and done, there is no decency on the sea.

If u attended an ajebo school where cultism is like boys' scout, be informed now that in some otha school, it's a boy touts-thing. And u all have the same orientation.

And if u're outside the country, well, just delete your post because u can't feel us, and we can't feel u because your info might be pretty dated. If Wole had any posts here, this would go 4 him 2. Like someone said here, he was myopic. In fact, he wasnt. He knew what he was doing. He meant it this way.

What can be decent about doctrines that say loot is treasure ?
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by songitodu: 5:54am On Jun 18, 2007
aye !! "confra is what u make it" i support that statement. Na me be lord nelson mandela II. A true aye does not intimidate ppl for the fun of it. Ayes shall always rule.Egede for all true and glourious all over the world!!!
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by tunrexdj(m): 8:31am On Jun 18, 2007
SAY NO TO CULTISM.I BETTER GET OUT OF THIS THREAD AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by atams(m): 2:47am On Jun 20, 2007
@owolabi
Were you present when your so called (bolaji keru)forked and was expelled?
If you are not certain of history, know it that history is certain of you.

@ubamu2029
you sound like a selfish and adamant critic. THAT WOLE STILL DANCES TO RUBBISH SONGS AND DRINKS BLOOD IN THE BUSH. let me ask you, did your blood get short?then go get yourself some blood capsules/iron tablets or did you compose any appealing music that people have refused to dance to.
People like you intesify problems instead of sorting out solutions.

@sabumbj
which confra did ANINI, SHINA RAMBO and the whole lot of reputed Nig criminals belong.
, buccaneers are criminals, , wole is not to be blamed.
tell me, where do you stand?

God created man and yet, man derailed, will one blame God?
The issue is not in the formation but rather in the conduct of formation
For me all that was formed so long as it's embeded on good/harmless doctrines are good.
There are improper checks to the conducts of these formations and until a leveled price of payment is charged upon all mis-conducts either [ from/by within or outwards ] the formation will continue to lack it's dignity/integrity. ODAS IS ODAS, i have capd.

let those that have ear, hear and those that have mind, understand.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Gheorghe(m): 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2007
My people nothing is ever created of formed with a good intention dat does not end up been infested with evil. Even in heavenly places, God created the angels and yet there was Lucifer the bad egg; my lord Jesus chose/selected/initiated 12 disciples and yet there was a Judas.

What am i driving at simple: as far as there is positives , negatives are never far away,wole is not the cause of the problem neither is bolaji, they both had a plan and vision for good associations but missed out on the negatives, i believe the suggestions by bassy231 will go a long way in curbing ad checking excesses in our institutions; register these associations both at national ad school level,let every one member be know physically and acedemically, lecturers, or/and well meaning politicians who are members shud oversee their activities and finally the rod must not be spared when one errs-an outright SPOT.

[center]THE TRUTH IS DAT IT CAN NEVA BE PHASED OUT OF OUR SCHOOLS ; SO LETS RATHER FIND A WAY TO MAKE THEM MORE RESPONSIBLE.

S.O.[/center]
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 17, 2007
Really i dont know what brought me back to this thread, probably instinct.hmm where do i start?ok i have made some very awkward statements concerning confraternities(as i used to classify it) on Nigerian campuses, and when i read through those lines i really feel bad.
Confraternity on our campuses is a very bad thing and i use this medium to take back any promoting statements i might have made concerning confraternities on our campuses.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pheesayor(m): 11:00pm On Oct 17, 2007
The way the univerrsity system is now, belonging to a responsible frat is the way out of oppression. Even though there are bad eggs, you just wont have a choice especially in state school. I'm a lasuite and virtually all my close friends 'belong' except a few of us who will even belong very soon just to avoid being cheated and chanced.

I'll go wit bassey231 cos that seems to be the way out http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/1109.html?1192114896
This link should guide us further, it's an amazing forum where I've learnt a lot from.
Any violence and negativities happening shouldnt be blamed on anybody as it is the sign of the end time, m not a preacher but the truth must be told.
I just hope I have made some points
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by kbankz2000(m): 12:35pm On Nov 27, 2007
The problems of cultism still remains in our higher institituion. the question is not who started it, but why in the first place. Because to my own point of view, the taught shouldn't have been conceived in the first place. I dont see how you fight the issue of racism and oppression by actually oppressing others.
Ok, Wole Soyinka was the founder of Pyrate confraternity which i believe consisit of a group of Seven. What happens to other people that were not members. You see the issue shouldn't have been conceive in the first place. now more people are killing their selves all the name of cultism. while the founding fathers are still allive leaving healthy. What is there to gain? somebody please say something!!!!
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by ade4prof: 12:50pm On Nov 28, 2007
The Cultism and Nigeria Universities in Circumstancies

The Implementation of cultism in Nigeria universities by Few miscrant in Nigeria has minimize the standard Development of educational system in Nigeria.

The Federal Government in Nigeria should translate a recommendation solution for the focus on 2020 development and standaradilzation of economic development in nigeria to be supreme and effective to the next level of a millenium Development Goals in the professionalism in Nigeria standard system.

A noble literature Professor Wole Soyinka during the orientation of the programme of dis -enfrancshiement of cultism in Nigeria , He implemented some strategy to cancelled cultism in Nigeria universities.

Nairaland can cultism be cacncelled in Nigeria Development of educatioan system.

Professor Omolade Okanlanwon

Lagos state university , ojo campus
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by kbankz2000(m): 4:55pm On Nov 28, 2007
Talking about eradicating Cultism in Nigerian by the year 2020, do you think it is possible? Cultism has eaten deep into our society today, stopping it is going to be a heronious task. because it was started by one man as they say but can that one person still eardicate it? The answer is NO. Before it can be eradicated it have to take the collective effort of all nigerians because in our society today people don't work in one they always work in pairs and if one is hurt the others will definetly fight for their own. Now tell me how can this be stopped? Because this days people hang out in groups and call themselves various names.
so i will say before cultism is stopped the issue of tribalism, nationalism and culturalism if there is a word like that should be looked into, so that one can travel from his place to another without fear of intimidation or harrasement.
Unless this is done the issue of cultism will continue for generations

Kingsley Banks
Kome cyber cafe
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pallicious: 11:56pm On Jan 16, 2008
The man with this ID -ubamu2029 --- You really make me laugh, you saying Wole dance to rubbish music and drink blood, Did you confirm if frat men drink blood,it's just the way you see it.I once had that feelings which was just the negative of what was going on.love the responce the other ID sent to you, Did you have shortage of blood, NAS is not the problem to Cultism in Higher Institutions in Nigeria, seapally@yahoo.com
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by NeoBlack(m): 12:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
deevuu you better stop the shit, if Gun never Enter you, you will never know the Confratinity embarassed
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by NeoBlack(m): 12:52pm On Feb 19, 2008
[flash=200,200]http:// owolabi did they lie? never trip off the rules okay[/flash]
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by therationa(m): 1:12pm On Feb 19, 2008
We need education in scientific rationalism to counter the lurch towards superstition. Read this article;
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-110965.0.html#msg1972234
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by NeoBlack(m): 1:58pm On Feb 20, 2008
i can see man mi
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by NeoBlack(m): 2:58pm On Feb 20, 2008
songito_du i don't mind your speech Egede Forget, am OBODO Junior, and Mahogany Nest, so be warned. and Sea lords still Bow Ok, if your nothing Jazz Away Now.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by cmdrenzo: 6:10am On Mar 24, 2008
it is a shame that there are so may ignorant peeeps here. anyway there is no justification for the horrors meted out by frats all over the country,  we all know the trouble makers and those who are not,  i particularly liked the post that said some people gain leadership experience from these fraternities,  there's no need to reply the dude who posted the blood drinking, wierd dancing crap, you cant blame him for what he has posted, that is why he is a lubber,  for all it is worth although some buccaneers have misbehaved i have agreat deal of respect for them,  they need to get their acts together and pull away from the rascality of other fraternites. alora mi cousins stop posting c*ps here it doesn't speak well(luv ur website by the way), ahoy
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by beelala: 12:39pm On Apr 10, 2008
did any of you guys participate in the oau ife killings(africa)

to those that killed that young man---- you will reap what you sowed.

SAY NO TO CULTISM

who gives a damn about the history.

what is evil is evil.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by lucabrasi(m): 2:10am On Apr 11, 2008
wole soyinka didnt form a cult,he with his friends formed a sorta social group on campus b4 judging him you need to have things in the proper perpective of these days, university campuses were so free of crime that they were like secondary schools there was a middle class and crime rate was low, the whole thing started being bastardized after them wole soyinka left and they had no control over the group, frustrated university students started joining in and ppl with issues from home looking for an outlet started the killings ,the politicians seeing an avenue to exploit started recruiting them for their intimidation as most political thugs who are not students are either not brutal enough as they have families,issues in the real world and are not as smart and daring as a student ,it is realli easy to eradicate but the lawmakers do not want it to be and it has spread to local secondary schools in nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Ten Deadliest Animals In Africa / Federal University, Otuoke Hostels Flooded, Python Killed (Video) / Fat Joe Defends Curvy Teacher After Parents Asked For Her To Be Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.