Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,897 members, 7,817,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools (60578 Views)

Which University Has The Highest Rate Of Cultism In Nigeria? / Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by arabellab: 2:03am On Apr 24, 2008
This is not a forum to advocate which group is better, the plan here is to help eradicate violence from our campuses, so people posting to say this group, that group are criminals, you are not wrong in entirety , because we know who the criminals are, however pointing accusing fingers won’t help solve the problems in question.
The problem of confraternity (frats) can only be solved by fellow frat men, no media, can help achieve this. Its underground its underground, so how can this be achieved??

I have never written on any forum on cultism, as I don’t really fancy the topic, but the gross lack of knowledge/history by most contributors in the forum, makes me think I owe a contribution.
I think if you really don’t know much about history/confraternity, it would be a great idea to read and come to speed with people that have been there or know these things.
I have seen that video by Wole Soyinka, and read his books in the past and how eloquent he comes across makes me have so much respect for him, I think who the leader is for a group and the belief of that group goes a long way to tell a lot about how the group operates, well as you read along you might be able to figure the part of the divide I belong.

I totally denounce killings/ mischief caused by miscreants in our universities in the name of cultism, haven said that, at the age of 16, I did get initiated into one of these groups, I grew and knew myself as a frat member, I graduated with a 2.1, from one of the Nigerian universities, you can guess how old I was. ( let me chip in a quick one as well) the first top 3 % graduates in my class were my fellow frat members, as I write today I own a Doctorate degree at a very young age, I work in a classified section of a great economy in the world , which is my second nationality outside my Nigerian passport. Why saying all this, confraternity is what you make out of it.

From the outside most people we say they are evil doers (demons), I will say far from it, some are no kidding- just the way some non frat people are evil naturally as well.(remember the heart of man is desperately wicked).
Some demonic, evil people try to use these avenues to perpetrate their activities in the name of cultism.
(Quick examples, during our University days, when we conduct Alutas, fighting a just cause, others will be looting, stealing, robbing, raping, and students will be branded armed robbers etc). This is exactly what this under achievers are doing today in disguise of cultism.
Most things in life are associated with myths, that just the way blood drinking and all that are in the frat world (been there, done that, you know what I mean)

Wole Soyinka’s intention for forming the then Pyrates confraternity, with the likes of AIG Imoukhuede is not what is unfolding today, so I will strongly advise that he should not blamed for these current activities.
Within various fraternities most members don’t know the scroll/tradition/doctrines, so what do you expect? If tradition/constitution depending on what your group calls it, is followed we will have less problems, as most of these groups have well spelt out traditions that can compete squarely with most Nigerian churches creeds today or even do better.
Why did I put in a little brief about myself- when I was in school, when my group realised I had some brains, I owe them a responsibility of good results every semester, so I excelled I did not want to let them down, the joy then in being a frat member was that sense of belonging, the height of it all was colours night (ST) after the last paper, I was a shock to my faculty, the day I wrote my final exams as I was on academic performance scholarship, but to the greatest awe I was on a beret .
I learnt loyalty, discipline, time management, brotherhood, no flippancy, and lots more form my group and I can say these skills are contributing to my success today in my chosen career, and the creed I can relate with.

As Wole Soyinka rightly said confraternity is 2-5% in our campus, and if you are a non member, you stand a higher chance of getting no oppression and freedom, if you simply mind your business and you don’t brand yourself as an impostor, the problem is non members try to claim what they are not, and when chips are down, they are not informed in due course, and go via the mistaken identity route. while if you are a member you obey the simple rules of staying under cover, you also stand a chance of getting unnoticed by other groups, most men in this forum can attest to all this,

I still strongly believe confraternity brings a sense of decorum (order) in our campuses, leadership skills, coordination, discipline, the only draw back is they need to be legalised so that erring members can be charged legally and face the law in situations where they break the law.
We sincerely need convictions, to set examples.
Also the government can work undercover just like the FBI/CIA etc and crack up these units, in real sense its just about 2 groups that are of main concerns, as they are filled up with non students/underachievers/bike riders, barbers and all that. They have actually lost the plot

Let me share this scenario with you all. I grew within my organisation during my undergraduate days and held a leadership position, during my final year there was fracas between my crew and another crew, I went for a meeting with the other group, to discuss possibility of an amicable solution to avoid a war, we discussed and we were able to get a truce after series of disagreements, as you all know, this was during exams, and my key point was my crew wanted exams to go on and we needed to graduate, we were not down for war , and a guy from the other crew was busy asking me how many spills have I had, to be in this position, and saying examination comes first , I will never forget that day, from intelligence gathered 90% of the guys we were dealing with were either rusticated/non students/ started with remedial courses couldn’t progress further to degree courses due to poor grades , trying to wage a war with my team of academic conscious students, I just had no choice but ensure a firm NO, luckily enough we all graduated as planned.

I need to stop as I can go on and on, on this topic…

I think we can discuss here in this forum without posting c*ps, and it brings a better understanding to LBs and HLBs (even if they understand, they won’t be able to get it all)., English remains Nigerian Official language

I think the public/media have a lot to do, to rectify these misconceptions

Kindly let me know your takes
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by brazoxkid(m): 12:15pm On Apr 24, 2008
SeaLords! Sail to the treasure.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Nbm(m): 8:45pm On Apr 30, 2008
Aye

Egede no dey brake beware of A.K.A

Egede for all the Bam Aye and Lordies on Nairaland.

Aye Axe mennnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by brazoxkid(m): 9:56pm On May 15, 2008
Like it is always said. " Confra is what you make out of it."
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by KukuraontheMove(m): 6:56pm On May 23, 2008
Bensimom,
Ahoy to you . Nice barking. Prompt and to the point. Remain rugged as you sail on.
BD, from the zeroes
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Dminister(m): 6:38pm On Jun 16, 2008
hey guys,there is nothing like ban.no reign 4 ban on our compus.i am a king and i will 4reva remain a king.sailor,any norse man in the house.let me know.no existence 4 ,pyrate,ban,maphites and birds.vk on the reign.no 1 confraternity in nigerian universities.do u want to know about them.ok,let me tell u little.vks are big brain students confra b4 u join u mst be a student in any of nigeria tetiary institutions.mind,we are unto merryment,study hard 4 exams.if u are caugth cheat at ur exams,carrying over ur courses or ur sckool time table is not at the back page of ur exercise book u will be drill.guys try be a member of confra that will promote ur future and not the one that will distroy ur future.4 ur information,vikings reign at uniben.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by battoussai: 4:19pm On Jul 29, 2008
As a "salted" and after spending 5 years sailing the nrough and atimes cool waters of the sea i can proudly beat my chest and say that the lords are all about personal advancement an a better society for all.
Alura me ruggedest sailors, the treasure must be found,life is a sea, atimes cool, atimes rough but we will al sail to the treasure island.
p.s i avnt been able to access the members only are on the cyber island scince i discovered it, how did you guys gain accfess the password isnt working!
4rm xyz b****n s*g*a de***o**r.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by National4: 12:10am On Aug 15, 2008
Before i proceed Egede to all glorious in the world; AYE , Dminister or what you call your name, you are a big fool for saying that vikings is well known in School like Uniben, I beleive after Realmen()then Eiye before you talk about any other frat, but that is not the issue now, the main issue is ppl should leave my prof alone cos when he formed pyrate is for good but later bad eggs came him and turn it to some else, For most ppl like ikechukwu my friend who is a pure ju man that does not know anything about cult say cult men suck blood, my dminister vikings they suck blood?, cos aye's nor dey suck blood, ju man like the owner of this username ubamu2029,all i will tell you is that what you do not know shut up your mouth for security reasons, well i do not blame you ,you are a ju man even you will contiune to be a ju, well think of your life,cos when you die nobody to cry, well to every body that is not a cult member pray for the grace of God to help ppl that belong to cult to come out and reduce the rate of killings in campuses, cos is bring our education backward, please and please live my prof alone and let him be cos he did carry me to join or any other person to join the frat of their choice, Brother i am very proud to be a member of A.K.A , songito_4u you be obo-te, pure obo-te, Well eradication of cultism have to start from the government house,our leaders before coming to campuses,

i rest my case
Glorious all over africa and the world we in Canada say dodorima to you all

AYE
Well back in Nigeria those days For only to know me look for any Federal polytechinc idah student and ask of paulugel or down to Agbor,Delta state
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by letsgo11: 11:46pm On Oct 08, 2008
Cultism is not meant for touts but reasonable personals and no blame should be made on Wole cause he brought it for good,Just that we have bad eggs among us starting from the federal govt cause they have been there before us. grin
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by dmxqo(m): 11:55pm On Oct 08, 2008
i no fit shout. just KEEP SAILING,,,""\;/."|''/`.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by NeoBlack(m): 3:04pm On Oct 19, 2008
Sailing OO,
Egede

Hacker Jp Hosted.

Jp
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Czarskit(m): 10:54pm On Dec 08, 2008
Nigeria is known world wide as one of the world's most corrupt countries. Why?
Not because of the totality of the population, but because of selfishness on the part of our leaders (as well as 'short sightedness' on the part of some of the 'hungry' masses). So also is the case of confraternities in our campuses.

To the best of my knowledge, no single entity or group is responsible for the present dimension which cultism has taken in our tertiary institutions (not even Uncle Wole, because his reasons for starting the P.C are quite justifiable).

Moreover, I'ld like to state that cult groups 'cannot' be eradicated from our social system for they are 'Movements and not 'Programs'. For 'Movements' start small and end big, unlike 'Programs' which are a direct opposite but the violence which they are responsible for can be reduced to the barest minimum.

It is quite funny that some 'cultists' or 'cult groups' still claim innocence to present day violence as well as killings on our campuses, but I'll be elated if someone can show me a cult group that has never been involved in a 'war' and I'll show you 'True Brotherhood & Confraternism' in return.

In the South most especially, cultism is at its peak and the death toll for this year alone is put at '80'.
If nothing is done as a matter of urgency 'this' will spread and will undoubtedly be on the rise. Rather than trying to shy away from this 'gore' reality that is staring us in the face, why don't we all come together and achieve the 'true' dreams of the founding fathers of these movements.

A solution has already been proferred earlier, which is simply the formation of an 'Inter-Fraternitny Council' with membership being drawn from the leadership of these groups as well as from Security, Educational and Religious Institutions.

We Nigerians are used to the normal 'E no concern me'attitude of looking at problems, but maybe when we are adversely affected by the norm, we'll get to understand that 'Anything Nigeria, concerns us as Nigerians'

I'll end by saying that just as much as the world sees Nigerians as 'dishonest' because of a few 'dishonest' Nigerians, so also do we see these confraternities as 'evil' because of a few 'evil' members.
All:
Airlords, Fly Safe; Seadogs (Lords), Sail on; , On Guard; Maphites, Flame on,
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by JJYOU: 11:00pm On Dec 08, 2008
Czarskit:
Nigeria is known world wide as one of the world's most corrupt countries. Why? Not because of the totality of the population, but because of selfishness on the part of our leaders (as well as 'short sightedness' on the part of some of the 'hungry' masses). So also is the case of confraternities in our campuses.
nigerian leaders indeed. more like evil crooks
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by aristocrat(m): 6:58pm On Jan 19, 2009
i will never regret 2 b an air lord. i belong 2 d supremost eye confraternity and i will never hide my identity. d mistakes people do is dat 4 d fact dat someone belong 2 any confraternity does not give u bad impression about d person. i thank god 4 my life 2day despite am a cultist am still one of d most successfull banker in nigeria.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by akym(m): 3:19pm On Jan 21, 2009
nice trend
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pabemv: 2:24pm On Feb 14, 2009
its like you all are crazy arguing over what you know less or nothing about,   so far so good has any of you ingrate ever founded any group,club or cults as you say? you just blab over an issue that has got nothing to do with you,  are you a member of any of the forementioned groups? **NO** you just talk and claim to be one,  well, its a computer world whereby even ur children can become a member online so try grow up and seek treasure not violence,

I remain myself
proud hitman
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pheesayor(m): 11:50am On Feb 17, 2009
Kukura on the Move:

Bensimom,
Ahoy to you . Nice barking. Prompt and to the point. Remain rugged as you sail on.
BD, from the zeroes

Omi agbalagbi, ahoy to u, anahoy to to every rugged pallies on this cyber AP. I dont even know why I'm posting here but , I remain a humble and obedient youth, ANL.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pabemv: 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2009
LOL,

Its like this guy is more silly and depressed that he does not even know the worst things about himself, Now let me tell you, u are one of the worst viking member i have ever know on here cos you can even spel correctly and you english spelling are so poor that you now degrade the viking as a whole, lol, you claim to be a viking, a sailor and you just said no confraternity exist except the viking , once again you are crazy cos i will tell you ur job on the sea, you rmain the sea robbers and you loot anything lootable, i'm sure you are one of those who dont attend classes or maybe not even a student at all** so don't ever you let men see you type on here again,

I'm practically pointing this finger to a BAGA like you (DMINISTER) tell me the year you became a viking and i can let your real men arrange a new initiation for you.

Sail save
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pheesayor(m): 10:57am On Feb 18, 2009
pabemv:

LOL,

Its like this guy is more silly and depressed that he does not even know the worst things about himself, Now let me tell you, u are one of the worst viking member i have ever know on here cos you can even spel correctly and you english spelling are so poor that you now degrade the viking as a whole, lol, you claim to be a viking, a sailor and you just said no confraternity exist except the viking , once again you are crazy cos i will tell you ur job on the sea, you rmain the sea robbers and you loot anything lootable, i'm sure you are one of those who dont attend classes or maybe not even a student at all** so don't ever you let men see you type on here again,

I'm practically pointing this finger to a BAGA like you (DMINISTER) tell me the year you became a viking and i can let your real men arrange a new initiation for you.

Sail save

dont mind him. by the way, which camp do u belong?
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pabemv: 12:43pm On Feb 18, 2009
hmm, i i'm sailor but a buccaneer to be precised, we came , we saw it and we know it, for real men,
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by lee007(m): 1:41pm On Feb 18, 2009
I have taken the pain to read form all sides the reson for evolution and the activities of all the confratanities and i will make bold to say am not suprised that some of us here have been bold enough to confirm our "status". But before we proceed further i will like to ask some questions

1. For those of us who bold y came out to say where we belong, could we while in school to the hearing of the authorities tell the worl we belong to this associations.

2. Can we claim that the maiming, intimidation of staffs and students and distruption of academic activities on campus is comendable.

3.Are we so proud of the things we have done to tell our children to do same when thet get to that stage in Life.

4. Are we any diffrent from our ledaer who have plunged the nature into this present state of incurable deprivation.

If we cannnot answer this questions in the affirmative them we should just admiit that however the origin, confratanities or 'Cult" as we now have it is one of the worst social ills that have bedridden the future of the youth of this country.

I have lost friends and family to this scourge we speak so highly of and i have witnessed thier activities first hand, and there is nothing gentlemanly about any of thier criminal activities.

I have been oppurtuned to talk to serveral of them when the chips are down and i know deep down they regret ever being part of the fold.

Cultist take blood convenants which are renewed periodically and that expalins the carnage without sentiments. they kill friends and in some extreme situtaion family members.

It is spriritual and should not be trivilised with the explaination we have been giving. there is nothing special about being a bright student, it dosent make anyone less dangerous.

Final word: Repent and Restitute your ways, the Blood you spilled are still freash on our mind

A WORD IS ENOUGH!
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by aristocrat(m): 6:55pm On Feb 18, 2009
pabemv:

its like you all are crazy arguing over what you know less or nothing about, so far so good has any of you ingrate ever founded any group,club or cults as you say? you just blab over an issue that has got nothing to do with you, are you a member of any of the forementioned groups? **NO** you just talk and claim to be one, well, its a computer world whereby even ur children can become a member online so try grow up and seek treasure not violence,

I remain myself
proud hitman
its like u dont know wat u are saying. who do hell do u think u are, fucking dirty sealord or wat. may ur blood cut ur vien u stupid alora.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by aristocrat(m): 7:07pm On Feb 18, 2009
any airlord in da house pls show up lets disgrace da old fool in da house . men we are da best , intelligent and we cruze da best babe on campus. all air lords in da house will surely fly save in da name of jayjay.(attah)aristo life dv akoko.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Druss(m): 9:31am On Feb 19, 2009
Cults decent - Pls I have known some members of buccs who have confessed of being ordered deal with somebody - I have witnessed aiyee - bunch of miscreants try to come and recruit from navy school - na then they know say navy no dey play!! Dealt with them airheads!!

I have no respect for cults - it is as a result of their fruit - Good trees do not bear bad fruits, Bad trees do - Cults in Nigeria are bad trees!!
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 8:59am On Feb 20, 2009
I dont know why you people keep on discussing about Campus Cults like Eiye,Aiye,Mafia,KK and other cults. I dont think the Seadogs are cultist because they are no more on Campus and they are called Fraternity, Same as Buccaneers. Check there website: alorasealords.com and nas-int.org. They are the first Fraternity and have cease membership from Higher institutions.

Lets stop calling them cult, They are both Confraternity
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by aristocrat(m): 6:27pm On Feb 20, 2009
njazra:

I dont know why you people keep on discussing about Campus Cults like Eiye,Aiye,Mafia,KK and other cults. I dont think the Seadogs are cultist because they are no more on Campus and they are called Fraternity, Same as Buccaneers. Check there website: alorasealords.com and nas-int.org. They are the first Fraternity and have cease membership from Higher institutions.

Lets stop calling them cult, They are both Confraternity
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by tonitau11: 9:15pm On Feb 25, 2009
BAN is a Confraternity made up of men who seek very high morals and a vision to contribute meaningfully to society. As committed Lords of the Seas, we seek to provide exemplary leadership for the larger community. Our Confraternity is not-for-profit organization.public probity is traceable to our cherished mottos of NO PRICE NO PAY, NO FRIEND NO FOE & BLUD 4 BLUD in championing causes that positively impact the societies we live in. We conduct our struggles on the high planes of dignity and discipline. WE ARE BUCCANEERS!!! Welcome on board, to the world of Sealords kNOW that Buccaneers were meant to be society`s roving policemen, who are naturally and morally superior to all seafaring creatures - Hence, the name SEALORD

Plenty AWMN to PG (Rev)

FK D**k
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by aristocrat(m): 5:51pm On Feb 28, 2009
u b crazy sealord. u better cross carpet and join da winning team. airlords for life.(fly save)attah.
aristocrat:

[/q
toni_tau11 link=topic=1104.msg3515513#msg3515513 date=1235592948:

BAN is a Confraternity made up of men who seek very high morals and a vision to contribute meaningfully to society. As committed Lords of the Seas, we seek to provide exemplary leadership for the larger community. Our Confraternity is not-for-profit organization.public probity is traceable to our cherished mottos of NO PRICE NO PAY, NO FRIEND NO FOE & BLUD 4 BLUD in championing causes that positively impact the societies we live in. We conduct our struggles on the high planes of dignity and discipline. WE ARE BUCCANEERS!!! Welcome on board, to the world of Sealords kNOW that Buccaneers were meant to be society`s roving policemen, who are naturally and morally superior to all seafaring creatures - Hence, the name SEALORD

Plenty AWMN to PG (Rev)

FK D**k

uote]
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by tonitau11: 6:17pm On Feb 28, 2009
aristocrat of whatever u call you self, u never hear say shoe nor get size? abi na becos say them still dey call una lords (air) na make u dey talk anyhow.u know how many eiye boys don tell me say na Bucca them be wan be b4 una members go nack egg for their head when dey go party. idiot fellow like you.

see as dey kill una dey go for benin now becos of say una dey talk anyhow and una nor get level,una dey bam for uncompleted building and una dey bam car wash boys,what a pity. GO wish up man.

to rest my case, if una nor take time, we go shot una tire as una dey fly ,

Alora for life and we are the best.
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by JJYOU: 6:48pm On Feb 28, 2009
wbb
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by Nobody: 10:08pm On Mar 04, 2009
Re: Roots of (Violent) Cultism in Nigerian Schools by pelu2mi(m): 4:22pm On Mar 06, 2009
ahoy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Ten Deadliest Animals In Africa / Federal University, Otuoke Hostels Flooded, Python Killed (Video) / Fat Joe Defends Curvy Teacher After Parents Asked For Her To Be Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.