Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,759 members, 7,813,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies (9056 Views)

8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / I THANK God For Giving Me Another Bouncing Baby BOY / Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 3:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
Few days ago i went to a naming ceremony,when the names - (about seven), of the baby were being read

I began to ponder,even though i had attended many of such ceremony,that why give a baby/person multiple names when in actual fact the person might not need more than three names before s/he passes on.

Then what happens to the unused names.

Presently i don't know more than 3 of my battalion names, Why do i even want to know.

How many of your names do u know and why give many names to babies?

How many will you give your babies?
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
I don't know about others, but myself, my wife, my brothers and sister have just two names each. My children also have two names each.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 4:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena: I don't know about others, but myself, my wife, my brothers and sister have just two names each. My children also have two names each.
what i dnt kno is weda giving many names is synonymous to d culture or tradition of some tribes.
sir,when u named ur children,did u give them only just d two names?
and wea are u from- i mean ur tribe?
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
Adeniyi A.:

what i dnt kno is weda giving many names is synonymous to d culture or tradition of some tribes.
sir,when u named ur children,did u give them only just d two names?
and wea are u from- i mean ur tribe?

Yep. We gave them just two names.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 4:40pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena:

Yep. We gave them just two names.
dts right,i only wish more people cud comment(esp d yoruba parents) on d reasons for dis step.
else am gonna av to giv ma kids just 2
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 4:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
d MODS cud just push dis to d FP for more clarifications n enlightenment
thanks

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
It is tradition I think. Where I am from the Husbands Parents name the first Child and the Wife/ Childs Mother Names the Second Child.
I think it is common with Yorubas to give a Child plenty names.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
I'm Yoruba and we gave our children 2 names ( first and middle names) only

but each child has almost 12 names in total from 4 grandparents , and our siblings,

and you know the most amazing thing ?

when any of those people call the kids the names they game them ( esp when they visit)

my kids know they're referring to them, they answer them, they know who's calling when that person calls the name,

It's just the tradition thing I guess and it's adventurous for the kids too smiley they even have a journal for it!

6 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 15, 2012
This is only observed among the yorubas(not as an insult ohhh grin). Other tribes mostly don't have more than three at most.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by joymary7(f): 9:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
Well ‎​i named my baby according to the circumstances surrounding his birth. ‎​i gave birth via C-section so ‎​i named him EKELEDILICHUKWU, my mum named him CHIMDIEBERE because he forgave our sins and blessed M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ wit the fruit of the womb after marriage, my husband named him CHIBUEZE because God is truely king, then his baptism and english name is RAPHAEL because ‎​i want him to b a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor like the angel RAPHAEL. So names re given according to birth circumstances

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by shewanna: 9:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
Op, seems you were in my mind. I thought of this question yesterday too. I just wonder why this is so as well cos when I wanted to fill some forms in secondary school where I was supposed to write my other name, I had nothing to write in the box cos I didn't know it. I asked mum when I got home, she said "haaa, and u were given up to thirty names o, I can't find where we wrote it and can't even remember any other!" Imagine! I just gave myself "Eniola" and that is what I use till now.

What's the use of those 30 names now? That's why they couldn't remember any. *Asheju*
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
jammyng: This is only observed among the yorubas(not as an insult ohhh grin). Other tribes mostly don't have more than three at most.
Very true. You hear oluwadamilola, pamilerinayo, darasimi, oluwanifemi, ifedayo, sikemi, toluwalase, similoluwa, tamilore, oreoluwa, bla bla bla.
Just like my cuz too she has loads of them. Only her iyanu, phebe, tosin, adura, gbemi, olaolu.
Wetin!
I just need to give my kids three names: english or bible name and yoruba name. Just like me

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
Its their way of appreciating God perhaps after a gazzilion years of waiting! God isn't freaked out at the many names... DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY NAMES GOD HAVE They are taking sides With God, $imple!

3 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by shewanna: 9:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
This is why I think they give numerous names: the parents of the child will definitely give their own names,the grandparents will send theirs too and it will be included because either parent may want to say "why didn't u include the name my father sent....". One respected uncle or aunty will send name too, pastors(if christian)will send another. And it goes on like that...
All these name will be written on a paper(going to like 10+) because the parent of the child will not want to offend any elder or well respected person in the family by not including the name they brought. This happens among the yorubas most, I guess. Don't crucify me cos omo yoruba ni mi o, swagger!

From my own view though.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by mumumugu(m): 9:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
Dat is yoruba mumu.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by baby124: 9:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
lmao. Yoruba people. smh. I have like 7. The grand parents give, so thats 4. The parents give, another 2. Then oriki 1, Religious name another 1. Finally if the parents want their siblings to give names too, the child is in trouble. SMH tongue grin cheesy
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Jilo83(m): 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
I think is for identification purpose. If u doubt it type ur 3 names and search on facebook, u will be surprised to see another person bearing ur names.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
Thank you o she wanna, wetin long name wan do me? Nobody gets their feeling hurt right?

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by coldgate(f): 9:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
I gAve my daughter seven names because the names carry a lot of meaning. The meaning of her names include praise for God, my aspirations for d child and circumstances of the child's birth. Also, she is both yoruba and Ninzo. She has names from both tribes.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
My kids intials are as follows:

KKCJT
BET
FBNT
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
Yes the baby deserve it
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by tampa1871: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
she-wanna:
This is why I think they give numerous names: the parents of the child will definitely give their own names,the grandparents will send theirs too and it will be included because either parent may want to say "why didn't u include the name my father sent....". One respected uncle or aunty will send name too, pastors(if christian)will send another. And it goes on like that...
All these name will be written on a paper(going to like 10+) because the parent of the child will not want to offend any elder or well respected person in the family by not including the name they brought. This happens among the yorubas most, I guess. Don't crucify me cos omo yoruba ni mi o, swagger!

From my own view though.

Well said, right on the money and no apology. No culture is supreme or superior. Americans name their children be4 they are born.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by sleekdot(m): 10:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
Maybe in case they forget they can get backup names
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by aadetoyin(f): 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
I have 14 names and I know everyone of dem cos wen those people that gave the names came visitin they will call those names.
I have those names cos my mum had delay, my sister is 14 yrs older than I am so I guess the load of names was as a result of excitement that she finally had another kid.
And yes yoruba people do it more cos all the granparents already have names in mind once u are pregnant.
My hubby and I have already chosen like 6 names for our children and I aint even pregnant yet so I tink Yoruba peeps just have a tin 4 names
*wink*
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Princess1982(f): 10:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
My Yoruba boyfriend has 7 names when he insisted I run a background check on him when I suspected he was lying I didn't know where to start lol.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by dramenda(f): 10:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
... so that if he/she spoils one, he/she can easily pick another,lol
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Clemzy16(m): 10:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
Wow! This is the first time i'm hearing that people usually have more than three names. 14 names, What for?! I think It's high-time they start checking the mentality of parents. No matter the circumstances surrounding the birth of a child i don't see any reason why the child should have more that two or three names.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
Well most times its the situation or condition in which the child was born that causes this. For example,

Me, i av over 15names, my mom lost 3 pregnancies before she had me, and as an only child then, everyone was giving me names even in my community. I even have a traditional title given to me as a kid by some elders in my clan, for those of you who believe in reincarnation, cos I don't.
Am 16yrs older than my only sister, her own names past 30 sef.

So its mainly the condition in which the child was born.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
Myself and my siblings each have 3 names.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
People....can bear as much names as they want.....its actually not my business. I don't think its a bad mentality and I don't see any bad in it. I think its cute. smiley....have always known the yoruba peeps to be very true to culture, and they don't allow civilization/literacy to take away the vital parts of their culture. So if its culture, keep it up since there's no bad in it

4 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by SELFWORTH: 11:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
I have ten names and I love being called by either of them. There is no English names in my family at all. None of us like English names. My granny said God understands all languages so you don't have to resort to English becos you want your child name to be biblical.

No English name for my child too. I can't be shouting Sarah (some people don't even know how to pronounce the English names well) when I can easily call Oluwafeyisayo. There is just no comparison . No names carry as much meanings and is as endearing as my fatherlands.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Mavrick2012: 11:26pm On Nov 15, 2012
Am curently havin problem wit my yoruba neibor.i hav just one name and i decided to giv my son just one name,bt dis my mischivious neibor tinks one name isnt enof n he decided to conjure a name 4my son(biblical name 4 dat mata:i hate religion)i hav sevraly told him i dislike d ideal bt he wouldnt listen,hopful police wil setl us dis monday.Now,i tink d culure of giv 16 and above names to children is most comon among d yorubas.i bliv dis is due to traditn,most traditn doesnt realy hav reason or meanin.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Apata Wives: Bonded By Uncommon Love / Who Is The "Next Of Kin" / A Letter To My Father! By Refiner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.