Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies (9063 Views)

8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / I THANK God For Giving Me Another Bouncing Baby BOY / Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by NEROSKY(m): 11:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
joymary7: Well ‎ i named my baby according to the circumstances surrounding his birth. ‎ i gave birth via C-section so ‎ i named him EKELEDILICHUKWU, my mum named him CHIMDIEBERE because he forgave our sins and blessed M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ wit the fruit of the womb after marriage, my husband named him CHIBUEZE because God is truely king, then his baptism and english name is RAPHAEL because ‎ i want him to b a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor like the angel RAPHAEL. So names re given according to birth circumstances

madam na u sabi, if em grow , em go change am if em no lik am!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by NEROSKY(m): 11:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
coldgate: I gAve my daughter seven names because the names carry a lot of meaning. The meaning of her names include praise for God, my aspirations for d child and circumstances of the child's birth. Also, she is both yoruba and Ninzo. She has names from both tribes.
story!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by NEROSKY(m): 11:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
aadetoyin: I have 14 names and I know everyone of dem cos wen those people that gave the names came visitin they will call those names.
I have those names cos my mum had delay, my sister is 14 yrs older than I am so I guess the load of names was as a result of excitement that she finally had another kid.
And yes yoruba people do it more cos all the granparents already have names in mind once u are pregnant.
My hubby and I have already chosen like 6 names for our children and I aint even pregnant yet so I tink Yoruba peeps just have a tin 4 names
*wink*
the names of a thing, them dey use am collect money 4bank? nobi Gej install hardship 4us lik neva b4, jst becuz dey voted him in becuz of his names n sentiment
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by edelweiss(f): 12:35am On Nov 16, 2012
Clemzy16: Wow! This is the first time i'm hearing that people usually have more than three names. 14 names, What for?! I think It's high-time they start checking the mentality of parents. No matter the circumstances surrounding the birth of a child i don't see any reason why the child should have more that two or three names.
its not a crime to have more Dan 2, have u heard of any case it was harmful to d child? Am from cross river state and I have 6 names,3 that came with my position in d family and d day I was born. Am adiha adiaha 2. Adiaha inag (meaning ; the 1st daugta of a 1st daugta, 2.adiaha inag meaning my great grand, my grand ma and my ma then me are first daughtas) those 2 cam wit my birth position and Bose cos most of my family members are familiar with d west so bin born on a sun gave me Bose, that's 3! My baptismal name 4 then middle name from both parent that's six. I use 3, baptismal, my dad's middle name given 2 me and my dad's surname. I know all my names.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by slimyem: 12:41am On Nov 16, 2012
I have 3 names and i trashed one long ago because peeps do not pronounce it well (English name o) and i never liked it sef..so i have used just two since i can remember.
Its my people that love giving numerous names though...
Been to a naming ceremony wher the boy was given about 16 names..
The names were sent from all the coners of the country
Father gave..
Father-in-law gave..
Mother gave..
Mother-in-law too..Maternal and paternal uncle and aunty..
Pastor too...
Uncle Kaduna..
Daddy Ibadan..
Mummy ILorin..
Sister Lagos..
The brother of the father of the uncle of the daddy too...
Na wa!!
All na nonsense!!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by honeric01(m): 12:57am On Nov 16, 2012
I have just one name! cool
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 1:20am On Nov 16, 2012
Meh! See names. 2 b sincere, d kidz wil surely choose d ones that sounds nice 2 thm whn dey grow up. U knw kidz of nw adaz. I don tire wit their bhaviour sef
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by greatgod2012(f): 1:37am On Nov 16, 2012
I think its tradition, its now left to d parent of d baby to choose d names they want d baby to be addressed. Its like respecting our parents and other elderly members of d family. Its fun sha. When i had my 1st baby, me and my hubby decided to give our child 2 names, we never knew we had to contact our elders 4 names, it was few minutes to d naming ceremony when my mother called and say "u never ask me 4 d names to give d baby" and i said, is it necessary? She said "ye! mo gbe"meaning "im in trouble", dt means u never asked ur MIL, SIL, BIL, uncle so so, aunty soso, etc, oya, go and be asking them now now. Hhhhmmm, can u imagine how many names those pple gave our baby, dy were over 30, and today, d boy only know of 2 names we intended giving him , even some of those who gave him names now call him with d 2 names we originally gave him. D boy dont even know about d other names, so i think its a tradition given in order to respect our elders.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by MeGaStReEt: 2:14am On Nov 16, 2012
common with the yorubas
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by tpia1: 2:20am On Nov 16, 2012
it was few minutes to d naming ceremony when my mother called and say "u never ask me 4 d names to give d baby" and i said, is it necessary? She said "ye! mo gbe"meaning "im in trouble"

funny story

"is it necessary" indeed.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nimi22(f): 4:03am On Nov 16, 2012
I have 8 names and sincerely i love being called by all. Especially my mum she doesnt forget any she can call me one today another one tommorrow depending on her mood. And that's what she does to my siblings too. Also there are some of my names my dad calls me and i know this is serious business and some that i know i'm in trouble.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by igbo2011(m): 4:35am On Nov 16, 2012
I have Igbo names only but I want to give my kids Igbo name and q name from a king or queen from Africa. Like am aka tiye or nnamdi taharqa
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 6:11am On Nov 16, 2012
[quote author=Czar-Chris]Well most times its the situation or condition in which the child was born that causes this. For example,
Me, i av over 15names, my mom lost 3 pregnancies before she had me, and as an only child then, everyone was giving me names even in my community.I evn av a traditional title givn to me as a kid by som elders in my clan.
IF GIVIN OF NAMES IS BORNE OUT d CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING THE BIRTH,WHAT EXACTLY ARE D AIMS OR WILL DT PROLONG D LIFE OF D CHILD?
yoruba bliv so mch in idols
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 6:35am On Nov 16, 2012
i have seen people who named their child/ren 'Goodluck' or 'Jonathan'.
just because of our president's life history,do they love our president that much or they expect their children's life to be fashioned in line wt d president's.
do names av effects on one's life attainment n achievement?
I bliv that occurrences in dis life are more spiritual than physical
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Tayothinks: 6:56am On Nov 16, 2012
Siena: I don't know about others, but myself, my wife, my brothers and sister have just two names each. My children also have two names each.

And your names are Siena Toyota. Lol smiley
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Ayoobscom(m): 7:09am On Nov 16, 2012
There's nothing wrong in giving many names to a child as long as names have good meaning

Apart from my Muslim name i also have Adedayo and 3 more names which i seldom mention
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 7:22am On Nov 16, 2012
@Adeniyi A
1st of all, am not yoruba, am a complete hardcore Igboman. Secondly, the circumstances makes this so. My dad called me Iheukwumere(a great thing has happend), Obinnaya(d fathers heart), My mum calls me chidiebere(God is merciful), chiedozie(G od has kept him), ugochukwu(Gods glory), onyekachi(who is greater than God). I've not even written that of grandparents from both sides o, uncles and aunties, kindred elders, family friends. This generated something funny not so long ago from an uncle who lives in the uk, i was out with friends in armstardam, i heard someone shouting Mbadiwe! Mbadiwe!! I was like whose answering that name here? Then I looking around to see the person with such deep Igbo name only to see my uncle running towards me. So dude, it has nothing to do with idolatry as such, its just excitment that causes it thats all.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Sabotage4700(m): 7:34am On Nov 16, 2012
joymary7: Well ‎​i named my baby according to the circumstances surrounding his birth. ‎​i gave birth via C-section so ‎​i named him EKELEDILICHUKWU, my mum named him CHIMDIEBERE because he forgave our sins and blessed M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ wit the fruit of the womb after marriage, my husband named him CHIBUEZE because God is truely king, then his baptism and english name is RAPHAEL because ‎​i want him to b a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor like the angel RAPHAEL. So names re given according to birth circumstances
so hw many have you been calling him among the four names?
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by usbcable(m): 7:39am On Nov 16, 2012
Adeniyi A.:
IF GIVIN OF NAMES IS BORNE OUT d CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING THE BIRTH,WHAT EXACTLY ARE D AIMS OR WILL DT PROLONG D LIFE OF D CHILD?
yoruba bliv so mch in idols

names dont prolong life but if you so feel names are not worth that much you can as well name you off spring names like Anini or Osama or destroyer/Stupid/ Embarrased and watch your child grow to be a responsible and happy lad with either the names or normal in behavior
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Florena(f): 7:40am On Nov 16, 2012
i have 4 names, d islamic one, one 4rm dad, one 4rm grandma and d last i heard was because i was born wen dad was celebratin his coronation so i was givin oyetunmilara imagine, not unlik my bro dat has up 2 20 names because mom undergo surgery wen givin birth 2 him so all d family members dat visited us gave him their own name
but i think 4 is ok
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by usbcable(m): 7:41am On Nov 16, 2012
Its like having nick names

we all dont complain of having numerous nick names from friends and family
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 16, 2012
The following are the uses for what you refer to as ‘unused names‘:
1. They @ tyms serve their purpose to a stranger i.e i give you my uncommon name wen u find it neccessary to know my name.

2. They are used codedly on my books esp. d ones i love.

3. They form great password combo.

4. For romantic purposes: my spouse is given the assignment to discover the one i love most.

5. E.t.c
I don‘t want you to know all its uses. I LOVE ALL MY FIVE NAMES!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by teekrackz(m): 7:58am On Nov 16, 2012
the answer is nt far fetched, it is dr baby so they r entitled to name him/her as many as they want!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by stankezzy: 8:09am On Nov 16, 2012
edelweiss: its not a crime to have more Dan 2, have u heard of any case it was harmful to d child? Am from cross river state and I have 6 names,3 that came with my position in d family and d day I was born. Am adiha adiaha 2. Adiaha inag (meaning ; the 1st daugta of a 1st daugta, 2.adiaha inag meaning my great grand, my grand ma and my ma then me are first daughtas) those 2 cam wit my birth position and Bose cos most of my family members are familiar with d west so bin born on a sun gave me Bose, that's 3! My baptismal name 4 then middle name from both parent that's six. I use 3, baptismal, my dad's middle name given 2 me and my dad's surname. I know all my names.
the reason why cross river girls de get many name be if they spoil one name they go switch to another,like for d city she fit de do ashawo wit one name,in village de go no her as quiet person,in skool she go use another na to de form church.if u catch her,she
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by stankezzy: 8:10am On Nov 16, 2012
edelweiss: its not a crime to have more Dan 2, have u heard of any case it was harmful to d child? Am from cross river state and I have 6 names,3 that came with my position in d family and d day I was born. Am adiha adiaha 2. Adiaha inag (meaning ; the 1st daugta of a 1st daugta, 2.adiaha inag meaning my great grand, my grand ma and my ma then me are first daughtas) those 2 cam wit my birth position and Bose cos most of my family members are familiar with d west so bin born on a sun gave me Bose, that's 3! My baptismal name 4 then middle name from both parent that's six. I use 3, baptismal, my dad's middle name given 2 me and my dad's surname. I know all my names.
the reason why cross river girls de get many name be if they spoil one name they go switch to another,like for d city she fit de do ashawo wit one name,in village de go no her as quiet person,in skool she go use another na to de form church.if u catch her,she will deny u nd oder people go bear her withness dat i no be her name.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by thorpido(m): 8:15am On Nov 16, 2012
joymary7: Well ‎​i named my baby according to the circumstances surrounding his birth. ‎​i gave birth via C-section so ‎​i named him EKELEDILICHUKWU, my mum named him CHIMDIEBERE because he forgave our sins and blessed M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ wit the fruit of the womb after marriage, my husband named him CHIBUEZE because God is truely king, then his baptism and english name is RAPHAEL because ‎​i want him to b a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor like the angel RAPHAEL. So names re given according to birth circumstances
Do people still name children based on circumstances of birth,reminds me of Jabez's mother.I think one should name a child what he/she wants 4 d future and not based on circumstance.You want your child to be a doctor?I think the better thing is to ask God to help you guide him in the path of his destiny.I don't think people should choose careers for their kids.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by blaise26abj(m): 8:18am On Nov 16, 2012
having several names serve their purposes. in sec school i had 2 friends with same names(surname, first name, second name) they had to use their 3rd names and they were not related. But honestly whenever my mum and granma say all my names (i dunno the total no) blended with oriki fondly, the feeling is indescribable. Every family has the right to name their children as many name as they like. If they grow up and dont like it, they are free to change it.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by omobademola: 8:22am On Nov 16, 2012
I am given 2 name @ birth. Bt when i grown up, i gave myself many good names according to inspiration i receive. Now i has more than 12 names
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by omobademola: 8:24am On Nov 16, 2012
omobademola: I am given 2 name @ birth. Bt when i grown up, i gave myself many good names according to inspiration i receive. Now i has more than 12 names
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 16, 2012
omobademola: I am given 2 name @ birth. Bt when i grown up, i gave myself many good names according to inspiration i receive. Now i has more than 12 names
Lmao! Inspiration? Based on circumstances, experiences, or mood! How did u name yourself, Rebirth?

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Tovot: 8:53am On Nov 16, 2012
wen my cousin waz bein namd,d wrote ha names in a4 paper&d paper waz nt enof,evribody waz just addn their own names,evn me too added my name 4 ha,but today she only answers two of d names+d 1 i gave ha!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Eifeh(m): 9:02am On Nov 16, 2012
Czar-Chris:
@Adeniyi A
1st of all, am not yoruba, am a complete hardcore Igboman. Secondly, the circumstances makes this so. My dad called me Iheukwumere(a great thing has happend), Obinnaya(d fathers heart), My mum calls me chidiebere(God is merciful), chiedozie(G od has kept him), ugochukwu(Gods glory), onyekachi(who is greater than God). I've not even written that of grandparents from both sides o, uncles and aunties, kindred elders, family friends. This generated something funny not so long ago from an uncle who lives in the uk, i was out with friends in armstardam, i heard someone shouting Mbadiwe! Mbadiwe!! I was like whose answering that name here? Then I looking around to see the person with such deep Igbo name only to see my uncle running towards me. So dude, it has nothing to do with idolatry as such, its just excitment that causes it thats all.
that means your born and brought up in yoruba land

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Tell Your Wife That Her Soup Is Not Sweet? / UPDATES: I Need Help , My Head Is Full. tnk u all for ur contribution. / The Apata Wives: Bonded By Uncommon Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.