Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies (9064 Views)

8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / I THANK God For Giving Me Another Bouncing Baby BOY / Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by mappete(f): 9:12am On Nov 16, 2012
I'll prefer to go with the circumstance surrounding the birth of the child. I was born on xmas day so i av d name biodun, nd by way of english/christian name, i bear christiana(i fink d significance of an english name is justified on the basis of interaction with foreigners). Also, i was born right around the time we moved into our new house so i bear olashile. My mum is from edo state so i bear obehi(@ least wen her pple are around i can belong) nd my dad is yoruba so i have an oriki(arike)(i guess the grand P's were eager 2 kip e whole culture thing intact) nd i av one last name olayemi(i tink my dad named me dat nd he likes calling of by dis name wen he's in a particularly apy mood or wen i've done sth ryt).
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by dominique(f): 9:18am On Nov 16, 2012
Mavrick2012: Am curently havin problem wit my yoruba neibor.i hav just one name and i decided to giv my son just one name,bt dis my mischivious neibor tinks one name isnt enof n he decided to conjure a name 4my son(biblical name 4 dat mata:i hate religion)i hav sevraly told him i dislike d ideal bt he wouldnt listen,hopful police wil setl us dis monday.Now,i tink d culure of giv 16 and above names to children is most comon among d yorubas.i bliv dis is due to traditn,most traditn doesnt realy hav reason or meanin.
maybe he's trying to tell you that he's the real baby-daddy!

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by SELFWORTH: 9:35am On Nov 16, 2012
[quote author=Adeniyi A.][/quote]

It has nothing to do with idols.

Well we are Christians in my family and all of the names start with Oluwa...( God) and whatever the parents is trying to say. Don't generalise that Yorubas believe in idols. When Yorubas call their children just the pronounciation tells a story .
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by SELFWORTH: 9:38am On Nov 16, 2012
thorpido: Do people still name children based on circumstances of birth,reminds me of Jabez's mother.I think one should name a child what he/she wants 4 d future and not based on circumstance.You want your child to be a doctor?I think the better thing is to ask God to help you guide him in the path of his destiny.I don't think people should choose careers for their kids.

Names have nothing to do with careers otherwise 98% of babies born to Yorubas will be preachers .
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by SELFWORTH: 9:41am On Nov 16, 2012
mappete: I'll prefer to go with the circumstance surrounding the birth of the child. I was born on xmas day so i av d name biodun, nd by way of english/christian name, i bear christiana(i fink d significance of an english name is justified on the basis of interaction with foreigners). Also, i was born right around the time we moved into our new house so i bear olashile. My mum is from edo state so i bear obehi(@ least wen her pple are around i can belong) nd my dad is yoruba so i have an oriki(arike)(i guess the grand P's were eager 2 kip e whole culture thing intact) nd i av one last name olayemi(i tink my dad named me dat nd he likes calling of by dis name wen he's in a particularly apy mood or wen i've done sth ryt).

What's with the picture? Is this Facebook? Stupid people . You never learn from others mistakes. Advertising yourself like a prostitutex. you will attract lunatics and then u start complaining !
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by AdeniyiA(m): 9:58am On Nov 16, 2012
AJJ:
Lmao! Inspiration? Based on circumstances, experiences, or mood! How did u name yourself, Rebirth?
he got 'born again' nah

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 16, 2012
joymary7: Well ‎​i named my baby according to the circumstances surrounding his birth. ‎​i gave birth via C-section so ‎​i named him EKELEDILICHUKWU, my mum named him CHIMDIEBERE because he forgave our sins and blessed M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ wit the fruit of the womb after marriage, my husband named him CHIBUEZE because God is truely king, then his baptism and english name is RAPHAEL because ‎​i want him to b a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor like the angel RAPHAEL. So names re given according to birth circumstances
Nice but I really don't think all the events shud b manifested into names! One name is enough to remark d most memorable of all the events! I know you dare not name him Akpuamaka when u want him to start eating akpu!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by edelweiss(f): 10:45am On Nov 16, 2012
stankezzy: the reason why cross river girls de get many name be if they spoil one name they go switch to another,like for d city she fit de do ashawo wit one name,in village de go no her as quiet person,in skool she go use another na to de form church.if u catch her,she will deny u nd oder people go bear her withness dat i no be her name.
seriously I dunno what to make of ur post, I can't say yes or no and I don't even wanna see it as insulting, I just take it as an opinion, u r joking or an education form u maybe u have seen a girl do that, or is ur observation peculiar to the cross riverian girls?Mind u, we cross riverian girls aint know for prostitution, we are known for our ability to take care of our man and making him stay! The is a adage saying' he who goes to calabar never comes back' we treat our men right in bed, house chores and in his stomach, because our mothers teaches us that!Not just meals but healthy meals! That is our primary job in life generally as being told by our mothers! Mind u am talking about a Cross riverian girl!
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 10:56am On Nov 16, 2012
Eifeh: that means your born and brought up in yoruba land
Nope I was born, raised and grew up in the east, Owerri to be precise. I never stepped foot out of Owerri untill i got a job in ph and had to go to lagos for a course. I was 22yrs then.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by deepwaters(f): 11:02am On Nov 16, 2012
Giving babies many names doesn't mean they get to be called all these names, or their parents will even remember them later; those names are most times prayers, prophecies, appreciation to God and positive proclamations into the life of the baby. So when the parents are reading out these names, they are essentially praying and prophesying over the baby. Notice that Nigerian names are usually long sentences and statements e.g Seun may actually be Oluwaseunfunmilopolopomowadupe! Or simple Anu is Aanuoluwapojojolorimi; Ileri may be Ileriouluwakiinye... Whether or not these prayers/prophecies come to pass is another story!

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 11:09am On Nov 16, 2012
edelweiss: seriously I dunno what to make of ur post, I can't say yes or no and I don't even wanna see it as insulting, I just take it as an opinion, u r joking or an education form u maybe u have seen a girl do that, or is ur observation peculiar to the cross riverian girls?Mind u, we cross riverian girls aint know for prostitution, we are known for our ability to take care of our man and making him stay! The is a adage saying' he who goes to calabar never comes back' we treat our men right in bed, house chores and in his stomach, because our mothers teaches us that!Not just meals but healthy meals! That is our primary job in life generally as being told by our mothers! Mind u am talking about a Cross riverian girl!
Seconded, cross river girls are heavenly they can make a mama's boy forget his mothers name. Those girls are something else. I've forgot the name of the particular part of cross river that is known for this. Its like the go to a seprate school for this or something. It took all the courage and all the logical thinking i could muster to get out of their grasp. But the downside is, if there is no more money for them to take care of you the way they want or believe it has to be, they will leave you for another man without batting an eyelid.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by edelweiss(f): 11:38am On Nov 16, 2012
Czar-Chris:

Seconded, cross river girls are heavenly they can make a mama's boy forget his mothers name. Those girls are something else. I've forgot the name of the particular part of cross river that is known for this. Its like the go to a seprate school for this or something. It took all the courage and all the logical thinking i could muster to get out of their grasp. But the downside is, if there is no more money for them to take care of you the way they want or believe it has to be, they will leave you for another man without batting an eyelid.
lolsss
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by dilbert100: 11:48am On Nov 16, 2012
i have 2 only....thats enough !
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by davades(m): 12:16pm On Nov 16, 2012
I have 5names and proud of them
Babatunde
Abayomi
Aderopo
Oluwadamilare
David

†ЂΞ son of Ade***********

*winks*

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by joymary7(f): 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
thorpido: Do people still name children based on circumstances of birth,reminds me of Jabez's mother.I think one should name a child what he/she wants 4 d future and not based on circumstance.You want your child to be a doctor?I think the better thing is to ask God to help you guide him in the path of his destiny.I don't think people should choose careers for their kids.
. Well nameing according to circumstances wld make one name his or her child badly, wat ‎​i meant by circumstances is " wat if ‎​i had died in the theater, my God didn't let M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ die so ‎​i have to name my child to glorify God" and ‎​i also believe name have effect on children, if jabez W̶̲̥̅̊åS̤̈̊ unfortunate because of his name, y shldnt my son Βε̲̣̣̣̥ a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor since the angel Raphael is a̶̲̥̅̊ great physician
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by joymary7(f): 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 1:13pm On Nov 16, 2012
edelweiss: lolsss

u dey laff? Nah God save me 4rm una hand.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by edelweiss(f): 3:59pm On Nov 16, 2012
Czar-Chris:

u dey laff? Nah God save me 4rm una hand.
save u said?thank God u were saved.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2012
edelweiss: save u said?thank God u were saved.
Hallelujah grin
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by CzarChris(m): 4:36pm On Nov 16, 2012
edelweiss: save u said?thank God u were saved.
Hallelujah grin am saved, but will definitely go for calabar carnival this Dec. Back to the belly of the beast you'd say grin

Note:If your a married woman and a calabar girl catchs your husband. Just forget it, its a lost battle.

These girls don't use voodoo, but they just know how to treat a man like a king.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by thorpido(m): 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
SELFWORTH:

Names have nothing to do with careers otherwise 98% of babies born to Yorubas will be preachers .
you got it wrong.She said she wants her son to become a doctor,that is why I wrote that.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by thorpido(m): 6:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
joymary7: . Well nameing according to circumstances wld make one name his or her child badly, wat ‎​i meant by circumstances is " wat if ‎​i had died in the theater, my God didn't let M̶̲̥̅Ε̲̣̣̣̥ die so ‎​i have to name my child to glorify God" and ‎​i also believe name have effect on children, if jabez W̶̲̥̅̊åS̤̈̊ unfortunate because of his name, y shldnt my son Βε̲̣̣̣̥ a̶̲̥̅̊ doctor since the angel Raphael is a̶̲̥̅̊ great physician
Jesus is the True Physician.
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by joymary7(f): 8:00pm On Nov 16, 2012
thorpido: Jesus is the True Physician.
. Yes ‎​i agree with u tht JESUS is the true physician, there are biblical stories of the angel RAPHAEL but he still has those healing powers tru our LORD JESUS
Re: Reasons For Giving Many Names To Babies by mappete(f): 4:32pm On Feb 19, 2013
dat wasnt on purpose mr selfworth, moreover its not my picture. And is it absolutely impossible for you to correct someone without using abusive words?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Tell Your Wife That Her Soup Is Not Sweet? / UPDATES: I Need Help , My Head Is Full. tnk u all for ur contribution. / The Apata Wives: Bonded By Uncommon Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.