Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? (8006 Views)

Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? / I KILL In The ARMY; Is It A SIN? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 16, 2012
My friend is a dedicated Christian; he killed in self defense, though acquitted in court, he still feels guilty of murder and think it's terrible sin! Do you guys think it's a sin?
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Agiliti(m): 8:40am On Nov 16, 2012
is it a sin to let someone kill you if you can defend yourself?

10 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 16, 2012
Agiliti: is it a sin to let someone kill you if you can defend yourself?

Typical 9ja, answering a question with a question! grin thanks anyway, got your point though!

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 16, 2012
seriallink:

Typical 9ja, answering a question with a question! grin thanks anyway, got your point though!
if you look at the actual hebrew word for that commandment, it is mistranslated. this is one of the few mistranslations in the KJV. the original hebrew actually translates to ' THOU SHALL NOT MURDER'. meaning you can kill in self defense. however you cant murder someone. so it depends on if your friend instigated the whole thing. if he was protecting himself, then he has committed no sin

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 16, 2012
obadiah777: if you look at the actual hebrew word for that commandment, it is mistranslated. this is one of the few mistranslations in the KJV. the original hebrew actually translates to ' THOU SHALL NOT MURDER'. meaning you can kill in self defense. however you cant murder someone. so it depends on if your friend instigated the whole thing. if he was protecting himself, then he has committed no sin

That was what I told him, but he still feels killing in self defense is murder and sin too! Maybe he instigated it, I tire for the guy sef!
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by k2039: 9:04am On Nov 16, 2012
By default I'm program to harm any one who intends to harm me,I’ll get him before he gets me.

I agree with obadiah777,to murder someone is to deliberately plan and execute the death of that individual.

To butress Agiliti,if someone is trying to harm
us it is natural for us to defend ourselves.

Op your friend didnt kill,it wasnt deliberately planned it was an impulsive action which
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 16, 2012
seriallink:

That was what I told him, but he still feels killing in self defence is murder and sin too! Maybe he instigated it, I tire for the guy sef!
lol well if he instigated it then he has every right to be scared NUMBERS 35 VS 33 GENESIS 9 VS 6 grin grin ;
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 16, 2012
k2039: booked
WHAT DAY WILL YOU LIKE THE BOOKING FOR SIR ? AND ARE YOU PARTIAL TO ANY AIRLINES ? WINDOW OR AISLE SEAT embarassed undecided ?
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by UjSizzle(f): 9:18am On Nov 16, 2012
If your friend's heart broken for what he's done(sin or not), let him pray for forgiveness and ask for peace in his heart.
I understand the feeling of guilt that comes from taking life you didn't give.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by advocate666: 9:19am On Nov 16, 2012
What a question! Does religion actually shrink the brain?

Have you not heard of the war front soldiers yelling this after shooting their enemies: "praise the lord and pass the ammunition"?

Tell your friend to go jump in front of a train.
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 16, 2012
uj_sizzle: If your friend's heart broken for what he's done(sin or not), let him pray for forgiveness and ask for peace in his heart.

Thank you sis!
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 16, 2012
advocate666: What a question! Does religion actually shrink the brain?

Have you not heard of the war front soldiers yelling this after shooting their enemies: "praise the lord and pass the ammunition"?

Tell your friend to go jump in front of a train.

Or make hin hug transformer grin just dey disturb me with wetin hin nor fit change! He should have let the man killed him na!Smh#
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Sagytarius(m): 9:28am On Nov 16, 2012
uj_sizzle: If your friend's heart broken for what he's done(sin or not), let him pray for forgiveness and ask for peace in his heart.
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 16, 2012
LET ME CORRECT MYSELF. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF HE INSTIGATED IT OR NOT. AS HUMANS WE ALL GET ON EACH OTHERS NERVES AT TIMES. WHICH IS WHY SCRIPTURE SAY YOU HAVE TO BE LONGSUFFERING AND PATIENT. SO EVEN IF HE STARTED IT. MAYBE HE STARTED IT BUT THE INTENTION WAS NOT TO KILL. BUT THE FIGHT GOT OUT OF HAND AND THE OTHER DUDE WAS TRYING TO KILL HIM ETC ETC. OR YOU ARE FIGHTING SOMEONE AND YOU GIVE THEM A DEADLY PUNCH THAT KILLS THEM ETC ETC. BOTTOMLINE ? SO LONG AS THE GUY DID NOT SET OUT WITH MURDER ON HIS MIND ? THEN HE IS REDEEMABLE.

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by ijawkid(m): 9:32am On Nov 16, 2012
I hope this whole scenario is different from when a christian who is being persecuted for righteousness sake decides to retaliate or resort to self defence...

The question in all of this is:::::

WHAT WILL JESUS DO??....
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by k2039: 9:33am On Nov 16, 2012
obadiah777: WHAT DAY WILL YOU LIKE THE BOOKING FOR SIR ? AND ARE YOU PARTIAL TO ANY AIRLINES ? WINDOW OR AISLE SEAT embarassed undecided ?
I don board d flight now,check d space,u go realise say d plane don jet out,lol.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 16, 2012
ijawkid: I hope this whole scenario is different from when a christian who is being persecuted for righteousness sake decides to retaliate or resort to self defence...

The question in all of this is:::::

WHAT WILL JESUS DO??....

JESUS WILL HAVE ONE OF HIS DISCIPLES CUT THE GUYS EARS OFF grin grin grin THE LORD IS A MAN OF WAR AND THE ONLY REASON HE DID NOT KILL ALL THE ROMANS AND PHARISEES IS BECAUSE THE KINGDOM BELONGED TO THE PRINCE OF THE WORLD AND PROPHESY HAD TO BE FULFILLED. BUT BEST BELIEVE WHEN THE KINGDOM BECOMES HIS, HE WOULD NOT HESITATE TO SWING THAT DOUBLE EDGED SWORD AND START CUTTING OFF FOLKS BODY PARTS. THIS IS HIM IN ACTION >>>FUTURE PROPHESY >>>>>WHEN THE KINGDOM BECOMES HIS >>> for the LORD hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea ISAIAH 34 VS 6 <<<< REVENGE. BOZRAH AND IDUMEA IS ANOTHER NAME FOR THE GRECO-ROMAN EMPIRE IF YOU LOOK AT GENESIS THE 36TH CHAPTER.

SO ERMMM BACK TO YA QUESTION BRUV ? JESUS WILL COME SWINGING WITH A HUGE SWORD CHOPPING FOLKS HEADS OFF HEHE. HE SHOOO IS A TERRIBLE MAN OF WAR EXODUS 15 VS 3

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 16, 2012
Self-defense you called it. If the self-defense is for the reason you are going to lose your life, then it is not unlawful. Maybe not a SIN, in that sense.
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by cheddarking(m): 9:55am On Nov 16, 2012
It is a bigger Sin to Die without trying to defend yourself

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Redmosquito(m): 9:58am On Nov 16, 2012
Minion: Ur Wickedness! The boy is angry that he killed in self defense
Hades: He is a foolish one! angry I bet he would do the same thing if he is attacked again. It is their blood. It is survival instinct.
Minion: My King! I agree

5 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Iaz93: 9:59am On Nov 16, 2012
It's no sin. .infact, it becomes a sin when you do nothing and allow the other person to harm you, that's commiting suicide indirectly...hehe
It is very right to defend yourself. .
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Lxgking(m): 10:00am On Nov 16, 2012
Hmmmmm! U do, huh, dnt u?....i cnt imagine, so wen did u? Abortion?..hmmm
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by UjSizzle(f): 10:01am On Nov 16, 2012
Redmosquito: Minion: Ur Wickedness! The boy is angry that he killed in self defense
Hades: He is a foolish one! angry I bet he would do the same thing if he is attacked again. It is their blood. It is survival instinct.
Minion: My King! I agree
lmao go update ur story abeg
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by philipstanley(m): 10:01am On Nov 16, 2012
IMAGING SOME1 KNOCKING ON MY DOOR, WIT A KNIFE WITH AN INTENTION OF forwarding ME, I MUST forward IF I HAV DE CHANCE 2 DO SO.
SELF DEFENCE IS NT A SIN, IT maybe againt DE LAW
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Sike(m): 10:02am On Nov 16, 2012
SUICIDE IS SUCIDE... DEFENCE OR ATTACK.
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Redmosquito(m): 10:03am On Nov 16, 2012
Lxgking: [color=#990000][/color] Hmmmmm! U do, huh, dnt u?....i cnt imagine, so wen did u? Abortion?..hmmm
Minion: Kai! My King! See as person take dey find trouble
Hades: If he find the trouble now, he go run comot
Minion: My Lord! No mind am
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by UjSizzle(f): 10:04am On Nov 16, 2012
Lxgking: [color=#990000][/color] Hmmmmm! U do, huh, dnt u?....i cnt imagine, so wen did u? Abortion?..hmmm
I'm tempted to call you an idiat, but i won't.

I don't have to have experienced something to actually feel one's pains or joy.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by Lxgking(m): 10:06am On Nov 16, 2012
obadiah777: JESUS WILL HAVE ONE OF HIS DISCIPLES CUT THE GUYS EARS OFF grin grin grin THE LORD IS A MAN OF WAR AND THE ONLY REASON HE DID NOT KILL ALL THE ROMANS AND PHARISEES IS BECAUSE THE KINGDOM BELONGED TO THE PRINCE OF THE WORLD AND PROPHESY HAD TO BE FULFILLED. BUT BEST BELIEVE WHEN THE KINGDOM BECOMES HIS, HE WOULD NOT HESITATE TO SWING THAT DOUBLE EDGED SWORD AND START CUTTING OFF FOLKS BODY PARTS. THIS IS HIM IN ACTION >>>FUTURE PROPHESY >>>>>WHEN THE KINGDOM BECOMES HIS >>> for the LORD hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea ISAIAH 34 VS 6 <<<< REVENGE. BOZRAH AND IDUMEA IS ANOTHER NAME FOR THE GRECO-ROMAN EMPIRE IF YOU LOOK AT GENESIS THE 36TH CHAPTER.

SO ERMMM BACK TO YA QUESTION BRUV ? JESUS WILL COME SWINGING WITH A HUGE SWORD CHOPPING FOLKS HEADS OFF HEHE. HE SHOOO IS A TERRIBLE MAN OF WAR EXODUS 15 VS 3
u funi die bro, exactly wats on my mind, bt didnt knw hw 2 put it....wow scarily funny

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by candieangel12(f): 10:09am On Nov 16, 2012
Tell your friend to grow some balls. Geeze!
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by ijawkid(m): 10:10am On Nov 16, 2012
obadiah777: JESUS WILL HAVE ONE OF HIS DISCIPLES CUT THE GUYS EARS OFF grin grin grin THE LORD IS A MAN OF WAR AND THE ONLY REASON HE DID NOT KILL ALL THE ROMANS AND PHARISEES IS BECAUSE THE KINGDOM BELONGED TO THE PRINCE OF THE WORLD AND PROPHESY HAD TO BE FULFILLED. BUT BEST BELIEVE WHEN THE KINGDOM BECOMES HIS, HE WOULD NOT HESITATE TO SWING THAT DOUBLE EDGED SWORD AND START CUTTING OFF FOLKS BODY PARTS. THIS IS HIM IN ACTION >>>FUTURE PROPHESY >>>>>WHEN THE KINGDOM BECOMES HIS >>> for the LORD hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea ISAIAH 34 VS 6 <<<< REVENGE. BOZRAH AND IDUMEA IS ANOTHER NAME FOR THE GRECO-ROMAN EMPIRE IF YOU LOOK AT GENESIS THE 36TH CHAPTER.

Lol...

But when a disciple does cut off the ear of his persecutor the same Jesus would rebuke that disciple...:-).....

We could emulate the examples of the apostles who emulated Jesus......

And it is true that when Jesus is given all the kingdoms by his Father he'll carry out war against the nations.....but for now we gotta be careful.....let's wait till then....

Remember I was only trying to ask:::

Hope this scenario is not the same when a christian faces persecutions for righteousness sake and decides to fight back.........

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by advocate666: 10:10am On Nov 16, 2012

No. You are wrong. Jizz-Us said "turn the other cheek". He also told people not to defend themselves.

Matthew 5:38-40

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.
Re: Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? by maclatunji: 10:11am On Nov 16, 2012
No sin at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" / How I Got Cheap Miracles, Without Fasting. / Stop Lateness To Church, Start Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.