Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? (6769 Views)

The Hametic Myth/are Blacks Cursed As Stated In The Bible? / Why Are Blacks Heading Most Of US Agencies? / World Wide Conspiracy By Whites To Destroy The Black Race? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2012
carefreewannabe:

Who is "they" EXACTLY?

Don't be silly, grow up!
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

Yes, it's not all down to race for the majority of black people who voted for Obama, majority of them are democrats anyway. But I most draw your attention to the fact that in-as-much as Bush messed up the economy, no single white man or state stood up and demanded to secede from the United states.
But because Obama won again (who to be fair, he has done much more than the 8 years of Bush's administration), all of a sudden, they all want a separate federation.

Ask Obama himself! The handicap he has to overcome; the hatred, cynicism, hypocrisy of the democracy being practiced against him in the Capitol building. He would tell you it's not been easy. The color of his skin has played a major role in his inability to have several bills passed.

Not all white folks are bias, but most are. You don't have to accept my assertion, but when it comes to people of color leading a major organization, you'll see the traces of prejudice written all over it.

So you know MOST of them and you have talked to MOST OF THEM? Right?

You are as biased as the white folks you're talking about. Exactly the same.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

Don't be silly, grow up!

No need to throw insults. If you are running out of arguments OR can't answer my question, confess it instead of calling me names.

Apart from that, I know of an incident that happend in one European country.
A man and his father went to a market and wanted to pass a white woman's stall from behind, which is not allowed. the man and his father were people of color. An argument evolved. A white woman from a neighboring stall wanted to smooth the argument and told the other white woman to let them pass. She ended up with a swollen face as the 19 year old boy hit her. The white judge in court didn't punish the boy because he didn't want the young boy to have a criminal record which would diminsh his chances on the labor market and possibly mess up his future. The judge ONLY reprimanded him. The white woman who suffered injuries was shocked. Now who are THEY?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Horus(m): 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2012
[size=15pt]Just Because He's Black (author unknown):[/size]

(Received by email today)

A WHITE MAN asked his BLACK FRIEND " Are you going to vote for Barack Obama just because he's black?" The Black man responded by saying, "Why not? Hell in this country men are pulled over everyday just because they are black; passed over for promotions just because they are black; considered to be criminals just because they are black. Thousands of white voters won't be voting for him just because he is black! However you don't seem to have a problem with any of that!

This country was built with the sweat and tears of black slaves; and now a black man has a chance to lead the same country, where we weren't even considered people, where we weren't allowed to be educated, drink from the same fountains, eat in the same Restaurants, or even vote.

So yes I am going to vote for him! But it's not just because he's black, but because through his leadership several of Americas most elusive enemies were brought to justice; our economy, health and environment improved; and our good reputation around the world has been RESTORED! He is HOPE! He is CHANGE! He is WISE! He is a man of INTEGRITY and INTELLIGENCE! He is a man of FAITH and PERSEVERANCE! A man of MATURITY and GOOD JUDGEMENT! He is a FAITHFUL HUSBAND and FATHER! And he now allows me to understand when my grandchildren say they want to be President when they grow up, it is not a fairy tale but a short term goal! They now SEE, UNDERSTAND, and KNOW that THEY CAN ACHIEVE, WITHSTAND, and DO ANYTHING that THEY Can DREAM for Themselves!! So No, I am Not Voting for Him because He is Black...I Am Voting For Him Because I AM BLACK!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Horus(m): 1:13pm On Nov 17, 2012
[size=17pt]Twitter Racists React to ‘That Nigger’ Getting Reelected[/size]

In case you were hopeful that Obama winning a second term was some kind of indication that racism doesn't really exist anymore, check out Twitter. The amount of hate speech, referring to the president as a "nigger," a "monkey," calling for violence and for the south to "rise again" was depressing—and eye-opening. Here is incontrovertible proof (as if we needed it) that racism isn't just some imaginary talking point invented by liberals, but an actual problem. What's sadder is that many of these Tweeters seem to be in high school, who don't have the flimsy excuse of being raised in "another time."

Source: http://jezebel.com/5958490/twitter-racists-react-to-that-nigger-getting-reelected/gallery/1
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Sike(m): 1:41pm On Nov 17, 2012
As for me, i still just don't know why i love this Obama.
Arrghhhh!
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 1:42pm On Nov 17, 2012
I am appalled by the share ignorance of some black folks who still find it difficult believing that the US election later became a race election. The fact that Obama won takes nothing away from the truth that he was victimized and unfairly targeted.

If Obama was white, the election would have been over before it started. Romney was incompetent and lied about almost everything. The 47% he accused, the London visit he messed up, the Obama tape he edited and his stance against equal pay, women, gay and abortion would have disqualified him. But people weren't even bothered, they just wanted him the in the house which they think is made for a white president.

Students in Texas are not smiling. They just want another Bush. But those who supported the truth went for Obama. The share hatred, disdain, venom and prejudice against blacks resurfaced in this election. The election wasn't just about Obama, it was about people of color. The victory was felt by the rest of the minorities; Obama would be better placed to favor them.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 17, 2012
Horus

Who said that racism doesn't exist anymore?

What about also quoting white people FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD being proud of Obama?
Why do you create such an one-sided image that further triggers hatred and racism?
Or do you believe that you have in any way helped now to stop or reduce racism?

I have recently been engaged in a research project analysing teaching techniques in different countries. I had the opportunity to observe teachers in different countries.
One day, a white teacher asked her students, ALL WHITE who they would vote for if they were Americans, the students, ALL WHITE, shouted OBAMA. ALL!
Obama has a lot of white fans, so stop creating a one-sided image by displaying quotes of DUMB people.

1 Like

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10: I am appalled by the share ignorance of some black folks who still find it difficult believing that the US election later became a race election. The fact that Obama won takes nothing away from the truth that he was victimized and unfairly targeted.

If Obama was white, the election would have been over before it started. Romney was incompetent and lied about almost everything. The 47% he accused, the London visit he messed up, the Obama tape he edited and his stance against equal pay, women, gay and abortion would have disqualified him. But people weren't even bothered, they just wanted him the in the house which they think is made for a white president.

Students in Texas are not smiling. They just want another Bush. But those who supported the truth went for Obama. The share hatred, disdain, venom and prejudice against blacks resurfaced in this election. The election wasn't just about Obama, it was about people of color. The victory was felt by the rest of the minorities; Obama would be better placed to favor them.

I am a big fan of Obama but it's not very intelligent to say that people have NO right to disagree with his policies.
If a white person doesn't for example agree with his health care reforms, that doesn't me that he / she is racist.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 17, 2012
obadiah777: STUP-ID QUESTION. WHITES INVENTED RACISM. HOW CAN YOU BE BETTER AT SOMETHING THAN THE CREATORS OF IT ?
Thanks, You spoke exactly like prophet Obadiah! Whoever asked this question is absolutely shameless! Has no understanding of racism and if indeed he has, he hasn't stepped a foot outside of the shores of Nigeria. If indeed he has stepped foot, he is a house Nigro.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2012
If whites invented racism why DO black people follow?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 1:59pm On Nov 17, 2012
carefreewannabe:

No need to throw insults. If you are running out of arguments OR can't answer my question, confess it instead of calling me names.

Apart from that, I know of an incident that happend in one European country.
A man and his father went to a market and wanted to pass a white woman's stall from behind, which is not allowed. the man and his father were people of color. An argument evolved. A white woman from a neighboring stall wanted to smooth the argument and told the other white woman to let them pass. She ended up with a swollen face as the 19 year old boy hit her. The white judge in court didn't punish the boy because he didn't want the young boy to have a criminal record which would diminsh his chances on the labor market and possibly mess up his future. The judge ONLY reprimanded him. The white woman who suffered injuries was shocked. Now who are THEY?

Not an insult my dear, just saying you should come up with good argument. Now regarding courts and offences, sentencing and reprimands, I'll let you know a thing or two.

Theoretically, Judges are meant to be unbiased, professional and truthfully uphold the law by deciding cases by facts and evidence. But this ain't so. The fact that this Judge in particular refuses to criminalize the boy doesn't take away the statistics that black people are 10 times more likely to be sent to jail for menial offences than their white counterpart.

It was good that the Judge spared the boy, but taking him out of the equation, we still got hundreds of them doing the opposite to young black delinquent boys. Black people are also seven (7) times more likely to be stopped and searched than white folks, 50 times more likely to be shot dead and 75 times more likely to be criminalize for minor offences. For grievous offences, they are 80 times more like to get life in prison, and for causing death whether in the first or second degree, they are 6 times more likely to face death penalty.

This is the norm and will continue to be whether Obama is president or not.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

Not an insult my dear, just saying you should come up with good argument. Now regarding courts and offences, sentencing and reprimands, I'll let you know a thing or two.

Theoretically, Judges are meant to be unbiased, professional and truthfully uphold the law by deciding cases by facts and evidence. But this ain't so. The fact that this Judge in particular refuses to criminalize the boy doesn't take away the statistics that black people are 10 times more likely to be sent to jail for menial offences than their white counterpart.

It was good that the Judge spared the boy, but taking him out of the equation, we still got hundreds of them doing the opposite to young black delinquent boys. Black people are also seven (7) times more likely to be stopped and searched than white folks, 50 times more likely to be shot dead and 75 times more likely to be criminalize for minor offences. For grievous offences, they are 80 times more like to get life in prison, and for causing death whether in the first or second degree, they are 6 times more likely to face death penalty.

This is the norm and will continue to be whether Obama is president or not.

Thank you for this information. I am aware of the fact that many black people are discriminated against BUT don't forget that WHITE people are discriminated against too!!
Not only by opinions like yours (no offence) but also by white people. It's not all about COLOR. Go to Germany and ask Turkish, Russian, Polish people how they are discriminated against by Germans, in jobs, schools, courts etc.
The topic is very compex and we can go on and on an on. all I want to say is that we should ALL try to fight prejudices instead of enforcing them.
If you are biased towards white people, you no better than those you call racists. I think that is logical.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 2:11pm On Nov 17, 2012
carefreewannabe:

I am a big fan of Obama but it's not very intelligent to say that people have NO right to disagree with his policies.
If a white person doesn't for example agree with his health care reforms, that doesn't me that he / she is racist.

I am a black person and I don't agree with some of his policies. But imagine him being called a monkey and all sort of derogatory word because he won an election! That's what the election was all about. I am not against anyone (Black, white and other) who opposes his policies, but directly implying this to those who would use politics to stair up hatred and prejudice with racist comments towards Obama.

Once again, as I reiterated, no state in America would have demanded to secede from USA if a white man had won the election. The media even painted a vague picture of the election citing "too close to call". That was a big lie. This all boils down to race my friend. It was all about that.

1 Like

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Oahray: 2:21pm On Nov 17, 2012
*Yawn....* Who isnt racist? Racism, tribalism and bias is an unending cycle. Most victims become racist themselves...
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by zanga420: 2:27pm On Nov 17, 2012
esere826: IMO We are all fixated on color because it makes us look strikingly different physically

Whereas, darker folks generally tend to appreciate/admire the lighter skin tone
The lighter folks generally tend to look down on those with the darker skin tones
(albinism seems to be an exception to this general rule)

Some blacks are learning that they are generally being dispised for something as simple as skin colour
and actually being pushed (together with their kids) to become 2nd class individuals
so they root for anything black to counteract this negative effect

I am not crazy about Obama, but I appreciate the subliminal psychological role he plays
in giving the darker tone groups some confidence and also minimizing their stereotyping by the lighter group

Just as I am not crazy about GEJ, but also appreciate his pychological impact
on both the major and smaller Nigerian ethnic groups that might never have considered a minority fit to rule

They're not worse than those before them

The same way some folks wont support Jonathan to perform, messing up every task given in the jurisdiction n putting every stumbling block they can lay their hands on because they think he's from the minority. God will punish them and anyone that directly/indirectly support them in any means. For GEJ God reward him according to the intent of his heart n efforts he made for the good of this country.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

I am a black person and I don't agree with some of his policies. But imagine him being called a money and all sort of derogatory word because he won an election! That's what the election was all about. I am not against anyone (Black, white and other) who opposes his policies, but directly implying this to those who would use politics to stair up hatred and prejudice with racist comments towards Obama.

Once again, as I reiterated, no state in America would have demanded to secede from USA if a white man had won the election. The media even painted a vague picture of the election citing "too close to call". That was a big lie. This all boils down to race my friend. It was all about that.

1. WHO EXACTLY wants to secede?
2. Calling people of other race derogatory words is plain s.tupid. Ignorance of the highest order. Sick!
3. You said in one of the previous posts that 35% of all Obama voters were white. I wish you could provide a source. Let's assume this number is right, how many millions of white people voted for Obama?
4. I told you that many Europeans are great fans of Obama BECAUSE, as you confessed, his policies ALSO mattered.

I am not saying that I entirely disagree with you but I have a problem with you saying MOST white people are biased and racist. We must do a lot against racism. Racis is not acceptable and I won't tolerate racism. But a much as I don't tolerate racism from white folks, as much I oppose it from black people. I am sorry but you sound very racist when you say MOST white folks are this and that, painting a negative picture that further triggers hatred and racism. You should be more careful if racism bothers you.

Also notice that many predominantly white societies prosecute racism by law. If anyone insults a black person in some European countries, the person will be prosecuted.
We have had great developments facing racism all over the world. We are not YET done but you don't help in making the world a better place when you speak with a voice full of hatred. Am sorry, but to me you sound like that.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 17, 2012
Oahray: *Yawn....* Who isnt racist? Racism, tribalism and bias is an unending cycle. Most victims become racist themselves...

It's really sad, though cry
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10: Wizendy

The above statement is a farce and only seems true. UK hasn't been more racist than what is being witnessed currently. Have you managed to ask folks who work in institutions like banks and any other govt agencies about what has been their experience in relation to the color of the skin? Or are you easily swayed or bought over by the mere saying that "Britain is the most tolerant nation ever"?

The question that comes to mind would be, who are they tolerating? Goats or monkeys? Who is more tolerant, Nigeria or Britain? A Benin gold statue (worth £millions) belonging to the people of Edo state was recently found in the British Museum, and all attempt to recover it back by the Oba of Benin has been blocked by the British govt. The statue was stolen by the white folks, likewise many other treasures amounting to £billions.

The recent London riot tagged black people as bad, whereas, the main reason why the riot started in the first place was totally ignored. The British police killed an innocent black man (even though he had a record with them, he was unarmed and innocent when killed). The Stephen Lawrence case was another high profile one involving race. Lawrence was killed and police covered the killers up. They would rather see a black man killed than a white man go to jail. Have you heard about the Zermmerman case in US? Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin, case not yet decided. Read more on the case from google.

Are you still here? David Cameron new immigration legislation on bounty is institutionally racist. His cuts on school childrens £30 EMA was also seen as that, because this tends to affect minorities the most. David is cutting everything benefits for the less able; the idea that white folks have other means to survive.

And regarding job: the equal opportunity act is a myth and actually does the opposite. There is no equal opportunity anywhere. If you tick where it says your background, race or ethnicity, or even age, then brace yourself for the harsh reality of life. White people are considered first, followed by EU candidate, then Indians, Pakistans, others before people of African heritage. My advise, do not fill that section, it is optional.

The fact that these people laugh with you, smile when they see you or even welcome you doesn't mean they like you; they hate your gut!

I beg to differ. Most employers actually prefer to hire minorities in my opinion...there will always been racism but Britain is a very tolerant country. In fact you are more likely to get in trouble being white for a racist comment. And that is somewhat unfair.. Most racist people here in UK are closet racists I.E they don't make their opinion known in public.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 17, 2012
The whites are insecure and the black are also insecure. That is why both are fighting for dominance.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2012
Wizendy: The whites are insecure and the black are also insecure. That is why both are fighting for dominance.

I almost agree.
Some whites are insecure and some blacks are insecure. That is why some of them are fighting for dominance. wink
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 3:02pm On Nov 17, 2012
Morayo747:

I beg to differ. Most employers actually prefer to hire minorities in my opinion...there will always been racism but Britain is a very tolerant country. In fact you are more likely to get in trouble being white for a racist comment. And that is somewhat unfair.. Most racist people here in UK are closet racists I.E they don't make their opinion known in public.

In Britain, you don't use racist words toward people literally, but you can institutionalize it. Racism is Britain is not as open as it is here in the state. It is very subtle and institutionalized. Very dangerous than open racism. I still don't know where you guys get your "tolerant" word from. Nigeria is more tolerant than any nation.

We are so overly tolerant even the Indians now sees us as too soft for their liking. Shell, BP, AGIP are still milking all our resources right in front of us. Indian, chinese and American companies are all over Nigeria taking advantage of the cheap labour and enslaving our young folks.

Most employers would prefer minorities when it comes to minimum wage jobs, which is ok by the standard of some. However, I believe Nigerians are very educated and should know better. Better to be in Nigeria and salvage it together.

And yes I agree with the closet racist, but often more detrimental in work places and achievement wise.

All in all, we should all tolerate one another, build our country Nigeria and have people talk about us being bias.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 3:23pm On Nov 17, 2012
Wizendy: The whites are insecure and the black are also insecure. That is why both are fighting for dominance.

Not totally agree! Blacks have never dominated anything in terms of achievement or wealth or position. Whites have been known to dominate key areas of achievement and power. Why are blacks insecure, what are they protecting? Are they insecure because white people want to take away their kool-aid drink? Or perhaps their chicken? Maybe insecure because white chicks are taking their strong, rich black folks? I doubt it.

Are they concern because whites are getting into NBA, football or other black dominance sports? not true. Black people welcome challenges as long as it is fair and legit. Whereas the opposite is the case with their counterpart.

Although blacks dominate physical combat sports, they still get their checks (cheques) form the white man. Now, tell me who's more dominant?

1 Like

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

In Britain, you don't use racist words toward people literally, but you can institutionalize it. Racism is Britain is not as open as it is here in the state. It is very subtle and institutionalized. Very dangerous than open racism. I still don't know where you guys get your "tolerant" word from. Nigeria is more tolerant than any nation.

We are so overly tolerant even the Indians now sees us as too soft for their liking. Shell, BP, AGIP are still milking all our resources right in front of us. Indian, chinese and American companies are all over Nigeria taking advantage of the cheap labour and enslaving our young folks.

Most employers would prefer minorities when it comes to minimum wage jobs, which is ok by the standard of some. However, I believe Nigerians are very educated and should know better. Better to be in Nigeria and salvage it together.

And yes I agree with the closet racist, but often more detrimental in work places and achievement wise.

All in all, we should all tolerate one another, build our country Nigeria and have people talk about us being bias.

Nigeria tolerant? You're having a laugh are you? A place where people wont let their kids marry from another part of the country (and yes this is very common). I've never heard of a parent saying no you can't marry that man because he's from Southampton and we're from Liverpool...just saying..
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Horus(m): 3:35pm On Nov 17, 2012
carefreewannabe: Horus

What about also quoting white people FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD being proud of Obama?
Why do you create such an one-sided image that further triggers hatred and racism?
Or do you believe that you have in any way helped now Or do you believe that you have in any way helped now to stop or reduce racism?

I have recently been engaged in a research project analysing teaching techniques in different countries. I had the opportunity to observe teachers in different countries.
One day, a white teacher asked her students, ALL WHITE who they would vote for if they were Americans, the students, ALL WHITE, shouted OBAMA. ALL!
Obama has a lot of white fans, so stop creating a one-sided image by displaying quotes of DUMB people.

Why do you have a preconceived opinon about me?, the thread is not about me.

What stop you from also quoting white people FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD being proud of Obama?, you are free to do it.

I create what? who are sending the racist tweets? me?. Or is it your own perception?, so who is one-sided?, only you, You find nothing wrong with sickening racist tweets but you find that I am the guilty one for posting them just to inform Nairalanders.

Or do you believe that you have in any way helped now to stop or reduce racism?

I believe nothing, believe and belief are ignorance so I deal only with facts, and no it is not my intention to stop or reduce racism, I am here to post informations.

And did I said that racism doesn't exist anymore?. When?

so stop creating a one-sided image by displaying quotes of DUMB people.

It is your own perception and interpretation of my posting who is one-sided and there is nothing that I can do about it.
As I do not receive order from any mental slave I will keep posting as usual.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 17, 2012
If we wey dey Naija are more fixated on tribes, why wont we fixated on colour? It could also be because blacks are the most diverse of all races, so maybe there is a biological reason why we are fixated on differences?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2012
@twitter poster, You can't use a handful of stupid people to represent a whole race.. Use figures like the Op did..
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by bolayei: 5:13pm On Nov 17, 2012
i like this post.. Obama won because he is black mainly, as much as we blacks discriminate against each other we still discriminate when it comes to other races we always prefer our own colour. I have always said BLACKS ARE THE MOST RACIST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD believe it or not. Try walking down some areas in London with a white girl and see how people will look at you like "what the eck are you doing", sameway we can never allow anyone that is not black rule our country even if you are mixed raced thats when you will probabaly hear people say "you are not fully black". There is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it its the way we are.Most black people in diaspora dont mix with other race or know about food from other race and have the same accent they had when they left their countries because they dont have to speak to white people because white people find it hard to understand strong african accent so your accent can only change naturally when you communicate to be understood.its us blacks that say things like Black is Beautiful but within our race we prefer the light skin ones so that saying is based on race not facts, Whites dont say White is Beautiful because they are more diverse than us.
Wizendy: I couldn’t stay up to watch the re-election of President Barak Obama.Much as I wanted to, I knew from my racing heartbeat, that it wasn’tthe wisest thing to do.

The last debate I watched, I had spent more time watching the voter’s reaction to the comments instead of enjoying the quality of thedebate. I knew then that I was, contrary to my profession, more involved than I needed to be. During the day, I had spent time getting in touch with my friends in the US and the UK. All, and I mean all, wanted Obama to win.

By 5.30am, I was roused from my sleep by ecstatic calls, telling me Obama had won. The relief that flowed through me was so strong that I wondered why. Obama in the final analysis, is an American who will always put American interests ahead of any other interest including that of Kenya, his ancestral home. His last four years neither benefited me nor my country.There are no indications that the next four will. So why am I so involved? I tried to tell myself that his policies were better and more inclusive; and that Mitt Romney was too shifty. But so what? Its still an American election.

After all, Al Gore was to me, a better candidate than George Bush. But I lost no sleep over his loss. I also felt that the dour Scot, Gordon Brown, was a better man tolead Britain out of its recession than the glib, handsome and empty David Cameron. America suffered economically, and in global perception, for its choice just as Britainis suffering economically for the decision to pick Cameron.For me, a bystander, nothing spoil. So why am I so passionate about this American election? Could it have something to do with the colour of Obama’s skin?

Later that Wednesday, I had a meeting with some veteran journalists. Those who had stayed up for the re-election, were bleary eyed from lack of sleep. But they all had this feel-good thing and they all expressed joy at the outcome of the election. Some were so passionate that I again wondered if itwould translate to anything positive for Nigeria. These were veterans who had been trained to be objective, even cynical sometimes. Yet, they couldn’t see anything wrong with Obama or anything right with Romney for that matter. And I thought, uneasily, if we were all routing for something other than the content of the head here.

Later, when the demographic analysis cameon CNN, it was discovered that over 90% blacks and over 75%Hispanics voted for Obama. Now, that is block voting. And all of us who are delirious, should ask ourselves if Obama would have won if the whites who constituted over 70% of the eligible voters, had block voted too. Our hero, reverend Luther King, admonished us to look at the content of the head (heart) and not the colour of the skin. Is that what we have done? Is that what we do? How many of us have turned on our TV sets to find a white guy and a black guy fight in a boxing contest and instinctively want the black guy to win? Same thing in a tennis tournament. These are not things to be proud of in the twenty-first century.

We must be honest and admit that, of recent, the whites have been more welcoming of content and more tolerant of colour than we have been. Britain has been so tolerant of different cultures that its own culture has been down played.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by esere826: 5:31pm On Nov 17, 2012
general comment and theory

i suspect that there must have been a time when blacks where the dominant group in the world
Such a time would have been when science was in its infancy, and brutish force or strength was the admired trait

its possible that as time elapsed, and science prevailed
the black groups held on to strength as being the desired xteristics
while some other groups sought for ways to defend themselves using science

as the lighter groups grew in scientific knowledge
the tendency to discriminate against blacker skin tone (which is apparently inherent)
became more prominent, and even embeded in cultural and religious beliefs

the darker skin tones where therefore pushed towards the extreme (southern) borders with time
or they (darker groups) sought refugee in those regions from the lighter skinned marauders

This might explain why darker groups occupy the lower parts of africa and india
while lighter groups occupy the nothern parts

*na theory oooooo*
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by stunna2(m): 5:36pm On Nov 17, 2012
carefreewannabe:

Go to Europe and interview WHITE people. Majority of them, example France, wanted Obama to win.

Really? Well the Majority of Canadian Whites also wanted Obama to win too but the issue is when will those majority whites in France and other such places actually themselves start voting for the blacks in their own political lives?
Blacks have been voting for whites only in American elections for decades...blacks have rejected Republican black presidential aspirants in the US for decades and now we are more fixated on colour than white folks right??
In other words will Obama have gotten to where he is now if he was born in France or Canada...so, my dear you see...once again this could only have happened in America for now - it's called American exceptionalism!,

Anyways it's quite funny how everybody who have never lived in America or may have just visited there thinks that somehow they understand the American politics of race - no, y'all don't!!

anyways, Obama is half White so, we'll have to wait and see when a real black man or woman tries to get to where he is now and until then everyone needs to take this jump for joy easy ooo!!
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by esere826: 5:39pm On Nov 17, 2012
questions to be asked

is racism an inherent trait in human, especially towards the darker skin tone?

ie, if a group of say 50 kids are isolated and groomed to adulthood without external contacts
lets say 25 blacks and 25 whites

what would be their reaction to the different skin tones that they have?
if the ratio is 10 blacks to 40 whites what would be the outcome?
if the ration is 40 blacks to 10 whites, what would be the outcome?

is racism inherent?
if it is, what can be done to eliminate or limit its impact on the subjects of the action?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2012
Minorities, blacks hispanics etc, are more fixated on ethnic identity for self-presercation than the majority groups.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fascinating Photos Reveal Life In Iran And Afghanistan In The 70s. / Larry C. Johnson: “the Ukrainian Army Has Been Defeated. What’s Left Is Mop-up” / South Sudan Has Become The World's Newest Nation!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.