Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? (3796 Views)

Silly Things You Believed As A Kid? / The Highest Likes You've Ever Gotten On Nairaland? And How Did You Feel? / Who's A Better Rapper-m.i, Naeto C,sauce Kid Or Ikechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by charlsecy4(m): 8:29am On Nov 19, 2012
I could remember I was still a kid; we had gone to village for Easter holidays when I got lost.

I was playing and running about. Then I wanted to get back, I didn't know the road which I had taken. I got to a point where I saw two roads I didn't know which of the roads to take. I took the wrong one.

I kept on moving, but never got to the road which I knew would lead me to our house. I had to ask around, and someone re-directed me.

Anyone can get lost, as a kid or as an adult, especially if you have moved to an unfamiliar town or place. Let's have your story on how you got lost, and how you got retrieved or managed to find your way.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Khayordhe: 8:56am On Nov 19, 2012
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by tmed1(m): 9:10am On Nov 19, 2012
I was about 9 yrs old then. My wicked home teacher realized that i didn't do his assignment.He decided to take me to his house where i can receive a befitting punishment(where mum and dad will not be there to save me)..he lived in a rural area where houses are not numbered(popularly referred to as Agbo ile).When we got to his house, this 'devil' beat the hell out of me,he even removed my clothes.He then went out and told me he was coming back(i was kneeling down by then)...he didn't come back.i relalized i had to go home...i couldn't find my way back. I cried so much because i thought i wouldn't see my parents again...after walking aimlessly for a couple of hours, Coincendentally, i saw our househelp then, she said she was on her way to the 'devil''s house to pick me up.I was so happy...i never told mum and dad what the 'devil' did to me.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Psylas(m): 9:11am On Nov 19, 2012
You no study geography
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by AlterEgoTM: 9:11am On Nov 19, 2012
Me na badt sharp guy since when I dey young, I nor dey miss road cos I dey everly shine my eye.
Makes me wonder the tales of people who claim to have escaped the clutches of kidnappers saying dem nor sabi the way to where dem carry dem go or where dem take 'escape' from.
Abi na so so everybody hypnosis juju dey catch, sotey no one dey remember anything
Me shar nor dey miss na im me sabi, juju or no juju. grin
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by slimyem: 9:11am On Nov 19, 2012
Yes,as an adult......
I was at Iyana Ipaja going to Jakande estate..in Isolo and it was late.
Nor be say i nor know road o but someone had told me i'd see estate straight from there that it was cheaper and faster and i don't have to get to Ikotun first.. so i just jumped into a bus that was going to estate...and off it took me to Ipaja estate..!
I didn't realise i was lost until i got to the last bus stop and every where seemed unfamiliar...
Long story short...i suffered that night.
Got to where i was going about 11.pm after spending triple the amount i was to spend originally.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by acidtalk: 9:17am On Nov 19, 2012
Just twice in my life.
The first time was in White House in Washington and the second time was in Buckingham Palace in London.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by AlterEgoTM: 9:30am On Nov 19, 2012
slimyem: Yes,as an adult......
I was at Iyana Ipaja going to Jakande estate..in Isolo and it was late.
Nor be say i nor know road o but someone had told me i'd see estate straight from there that it was cheaper and faster and i don't have to get to Ikotun first.. so i just jumped into a bus that was going to estate...and off it took me to Ipaja estate..!
I didn't realise i was lost until i got to the last bus stop and every where seemed unfamiliar...
Long story short...i suffered that night.
Got to where i was going about 11.pm after spending triple the amount i was to spend originally.
I think the Yoruba saying that 'eni ti o n wa ifa n wa ofo' grin that is someone that is out seeking bonuses/awoof ends up in bòòby traps grin resonates here strikingly grin
Pele tie oh cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Callotti: 9:34am On Nov 19, 2012
No. I never got lost as a child.
Aje-butters do not get lost. . . only KPAKOROROS do! kiss
We were never allowed to wander off like street urchins or parentless-vagabonds! Always closely supervised. kiss
As an adult. . . .ALL THE TIME. Especially in foreign countries. Mainly work-related assignments looking for my clients' addresses as a 'home-health' care-worker!
Amen to GPS gadgets! cool
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Artlove(m): 9:35am On Nov 19, 2012
Wen i was 9yr, i walked with my dog, we saw a rabbit, my dog started pursue it and i followed it 2 d bush untill we didn't see it again, so we r tryin 2 go back from d point, we lost. I told my dog 2 take me back 2 my home, it said: "broz abeg no vex, i no knw road again."

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 19, 2012
Yes I have lost my way in Lagos several times.

Men that place is really a jungle.

Plus the people that give directions can be wicked and mischieviouus sometimes.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 19, 2012
Omo, my own na for lasgidi º°˚!
I'm sure igbos in Lag know d time of 'oso abiola'
Nna mehn, na NTA my face show º°˚!

Na one of my dad friend come carry me commot for house, i couldn't even describe him after the whole issue, but i knew he always came to the house then, i was really a kid then.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by 9jacriip: 9:38am On Nov 19, 2012
I always get lost even though I grew up in Lagos, I barely go out and about smiley
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by fittty(m): 9:46am On Nov 19, 2012
grin
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by MrSinister(m): 9:47am On Nov 19, 2012
winkI have gotten lost a lot of times and after all i have experienced in lagos, asaba & warri, i have come to the conclusion that as long as you understand the local language or at least speak pidgin you can never get lost :DI have gotten lost a lot of times and after all i have experienced in lagos, asaba, warri, i have come to the conclusion that as long as you understand the local language or at least speak pidgin you can never get lost
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by MrSinister(m): 9:48am On Nov 19, 2012
I have gotten lost a lot of times and after all i have experienced in lagos, asaba & warri, i have come to the conclusion that as long as you understand the local language or at least speak pidgin you can never get lost wink
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by yuzedo: 9:49am On Nov 19, 2012
acidtalk: Just twice in my life.
The first time was in White House in Washington and the second time was in Buckingham Palace in London.
Yeye! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Got lost when i was 10yrs.
One hot saturday afternoon, decided to trek from maryland home to my cousin's at Surulere cos they had super nintendo undecidedembarassed
i thought the journey would be short cos whenever dad drives there, it takes less than 10mins... undecided
By the time i trekked from my house to the bus-stop,i already wanted to faint cry
Unfortunately for me, once i start something even till now, i never give up. My people, do u know i completed that journey on foot??
Even the Israelites no suffer wetin i suffer during their exodus with Moses.
As Satan would have it, i got there after 4hrs of trekking and their Satanic landlord lied that nobody was around shocked angry I almost fainted! Was so depressed i didn't think to go inside, at least, somebody would've been at home to give me money or ask me to wait and drop me off.
Na so i begin trek back o! This time, i used a unfamiliar route.............................. Through Mushin/Railway.. shocked shocked shocked Na dere my problem for life start. No 10yr old has suffered more before then or since then!

TO BE CONTINUED.. JESUS IS LORD!! cry cry

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 19, 2012
Many time tho.......bt i go form till i locate my way
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Ayomax(m): 10:32am On Nov 19, 2012
just once in my life, when I was 6yrs, my mum's office was not tht far from our home. tht particular day I missed my mum so much tht I had to look for her at the office (which is like a 5mins walk) omo na so I pass her office n didnt realize it,kept on walking when I got to ogba-ijaye bus stop I got lost. those market women asked me wht n who I'm I looking for n I told them my mum. cut da long story short one of them was kind enough to take me to ogba police station (Area G) bak home my parents were already looking for me n a search team also, my elder bro was already recievin da beating of his life for letting me out of his sight. at last they went to area G to report n they saw me watching t.v at da station, they were very happy to see me. those stup!d police men asked my parents to give them money b4 they can handover me to them well my parents no mind.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by djmannie: 10:37am On Nov 19, 2012
When I was a kid, me and my friends we use to play a lot so one day we were now playing ehn we now play till night and we did not see again to go home so we now cry very well till we found our way home.lmfao
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 19, 2012
As a newbie in Lagos, I'll just be driving directionlessly until i'm lost. I'll then try to retrace my way.....Hard but effective way to know your way. grin
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by mekaboy(m): 11:21am On Nov 19, 2012
[b]My own case is funny, and as an adult. I travelled to togo for a biz meeting, got in around 8pm checked into a hotel, i was suppose to meet the person that night and travel back the next morning.

Togo being a french speaking country, after i relaxed in the hotel for a while, i called my business associate,he said i should meet him at a popular beach road where people drink. I came outside the hotel and an okada stopped, i told the guy i wanted to go to the beach road he nodded, i entered the okada, got to the place and asked the okada to wait for me till i am done . This meeting lasted closed to 1hr , i came out entered the bike and told the man to take me back to the hotel.

When i was coming from the hotel to the beach road, it was about 10mins, but i noticed that i had spent over 30mins on the bike, the bike man was taking me round town. I tapped him on the back and told him to stop, he stopped, i got down and told him i said he should take be back to the hotel where he picked me. He laughed and nodded his head, and said ok hotel, i got into the back again, after another 30mins drive, this was around 11pm now.

I tapped him again, he stopped, i got down, used sign language to explain to him, he laughed again and nodded, i got in and still another 30mins ride, passing places i have seen before. This time it was going to 12, i came down the bike, and drew the hotel on the sand, even where i was standing as he came to pick me. He nodded, and pointed to the hotel on the sand i said yes, i got in again. this time after 15mins ride, i got down, i did not know whether to check into another hotel and go for my things in the other hotel the next day.

Finally, the okada man, told me with sign language, that he wants to go home and sleep, i told him with the sign language that i want to go and sleep too. then i entered the bike, guess what? he took me to the very hotel he picked me from.

After my experience that day, i said i must go and learn french. grin grin grin grin grin grin [/b]

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by logo77: 11:23am On Nov 19, 2012
I have missed my way many times.I will share one of those bitter experinences:

On this particular day, my plan was to trek from TBS (Tafa Balewa Square) to Idumata(both in Lagos Island)

"Menh ! I suffer that day eehn no bi small"

One thing I don't like is when people you ask for direction ignore you with a "particular type of look" .

But thank God for GSM; this days when I miss may way for any reason I just call a couple of friends who may be familiar with the place for direction or better still ask the nearest Okada-man for guidiance.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Fancier(f): 11:25am On Nov 19, 2012
I was 10years old, and had to take my grandma to my aunty's place who newly put to bed at itire-ijesha. We took a wrong bus and we ended somewhere else. when we alighted i felt it was the same area, so we started walking thinking i was going to locate the building. Hmm it wasn't funny at all, the worst part was when i realize we were lost, i looked at my grandma who just came from the village i couldn't tell her we are on a wrong route i just kept on trekking until we found ourselves on a bridge. My grandma just look at me and said hey where are we crossing to and i couldn't respond. She just screamed this was already past 7pm everywhere was getting dark. Eventually we ask for direction, first we were given a wrong direction, but we later got home. Till date when i remember all the exclamation my grandma was saying in my dialect, i just can't hold back from laughing.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by SlyIg(f): 11:28am On Nov 19, 2012
When will i stop missing in a big market! Even as at yesterday,i missed my way! *Sobs*.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Ohibenemma(m): 11:52am On Nov 19, 2012
I remember my experience at Oba Market, Benin, many years back. Twas my FIRST time of entering the complex alone, but felt it won't be a big deal. How mistaken I was. After unsuccessfully trying to negotiate the price of a pair of leather slippers, I decided to retrace my steps to the roadside stores where the prices would be much lower though the styles much less exotic. That was where my travails started. I couldn't locate the particular staircase I'd taken on my way up. After trying different routes unsuccessfully, I started roaming around the market. Went to some leaking parts as the roof wasn't yet fixed then, and then thoroughly embarrassed mySELF when I stumbled upon the women's wear section. Suddenly found myself staring at skimpy ladies' panties, bras, lingerie and other underwears. I was certain the eyes of the women were fastened on me as I continued my aimless drive.
I was too shy to ask for direction and didn't want to arouse any more attention by turning back, so I continued. I believed there must be a way out, and that it was finally when I found an outlet at last. It was at a totally different point from my point of entry. Laughed at the whole experience, and saw it as an adventure.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
I have missed my way quite a number of time. The first time I wanted to leave school to my house by myself without a driver , I trekked the hell out of my legs, I was supposed to go to Iju, but I walked past Iju to Akute and the gullible me didn't ask questions.

I was looking for a tower that was @ the bus-stop but I still don't know why I didn't see that thing till date, so all in a bid to see the tower I kept trekking endlessly. Thank God, I summoned courage to ask I for don land for bush.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
It was embarrassing as an Adult not to know the route in the reserve in Alberta, Canada.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by Wallie(m): 2:04pm On Nov 19, 2012
In the title, "got" should be changed to "gotten".

Get = obtain
Gotten = become
Re: Have You Ever Gotten Lost As A Kid Or Even As An Adult? by princeonx: 2:21pm On Nov 19, 2012
I did yesterday and I have never visited NY without getting lost! Don't know if I should call it "getting lost" but I always make wrong turns or not allowed to turn onto the street I want at the particular time I got there! In some cities two ways street/road turn one way during rush hours making direction even harder! Hate when the GPS says "turn left" and the sign by the street/rd will say "No Left turn"

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Beyoncé Was From Nigeria (A Must Watch) / Indians Taking Over Nigerian / Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.