Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,597 members, 7,847,520 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:46 PM

Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. (23173 Views)

Revelation Chapter 7 / Exposition Of The Occult Prophets And Healers In The Organizational Churches / The Original Hebrews Are Black Africans From Ancient Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
@zikkyy and fans
How do i reconcile these two
you would when you start reading the passage as the Word, instead of for tithe argument.

first Bidam says it was Jesus receiving tithe in Hebrews 7:8 (see below).....

Bidam: Paul even settled d matter in verse 8..of heb 7...He states plainly that Christ receiveth them(the tithes) of whom it is witnessed that He liveth"..who are the witnesses that Christ is Alive? Christians ofcos..we are His witness..Christians give tithes to Jesus. Paul could not make it any plainer.
Didn't want to respond to this as you're only fooling around. You well know that i also say this, and that's why you initially asked if bidam was related to me. Bidam gave you an answer, then you decided to put an insincere spin on it.

....then Apostle Image123 says it was some men (see below)

Image123:
(BBE) Now at the present time, men over whom death has power take the tenth; but then it was taken by one of whom it is witnessed that he is living.

If this is not evidence, there is nothing called evidence. hebrews PLAINLY states that some people were receiving tithes. hebrews was written AFTER the law.[/color]

Now who is right who is wrong? the problem is that you guys believe you are saying the same thing.
You well know that i was referring to the first/bolded part of that verse, while Bidam was referring to the second/latter part of the verse. In case, by any sick chance, you didn't really know, well re-read it now with a better understanding. i'm talking to all of you that fell for the zikky bait BTW, zikkyy and fans.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 5:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
@Gosh
...make I go sleep first. When I wake up, I will respond...at least I don quote you already....
And what is this supposed to mean? you don't trust him, right? He's not a christian because he tithes, or he's dubious because he's not an antitither. It's sickening how many of your folks think salvation is all about tithes, yet accuse others(pastors without names) of preaching tithes as pre-requisite to salvation. you're blind and under the law without knowing it.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 6:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
@zikky
...and i have been asking one question: was this goal achieved by adherence to the law? you people know how to dodge questions sha
You've asked more than one question, even if i answered this one, you'd ask three more. i'm not under a debt to answer your every question. i'm answering your questions in order of relevance to the points being discussed, so that you see the real issues instead of gallivanting around aimlessly. BTW, the goal of the law, which is love, is achieved by anyone who adheres to it. Love has not passed away.1Corinth 13.

You still don't get it. according to you image123, when Paul said that just as priests were maintained with tithe & offerings 'even so' pastors should be maintained with tithes and offerings today. Your position is that pastors should be maintained exactly as priests were being maintained. All i did was show that priest were 'chopping' the meat sacrificed on the altar. If you say pastors should be maintained in the same manner feed of tithe and burnt offerings, i agree.
i retain that they should be. if you agree to tithes and offerings, fine, very fine. Pastors are maintained with tithes and offerings today. there are different types of offerings. If you feel like giving your own pastor food, crops and animals, go ahead. they'll do with it, what they know is best. your own na to bring the animal. A giver like you, i expect cow, goats, fat chicken and turkey aplenty. It's very good and welcome.

1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

CEV

1Co 9:13 Don't you know that people who work in the temple make their living from what is brought to the temple? Don't you know that a person who serves at the altar is given part of what is offered?
1Co 9:14 In the same way, the Lord wants everyone who preaches the good news to make a living from preaching this message.

This one no need for argument. all you need to do is provide that good dictionary that defines harvest as income. Provide a link here for us to study.
You are proving lazy and dishonest. i don't do online dictionaries and thesaurus as i have one. But i'll oblige you with the microsoft on my system. Merriem Webster is also similar.

in·come [ín kùm]
(plural in·comes)
noun
1. money received over period: the amount of money received over a period of time either as payment for work, goods, or services, or as profit on capital
2. inflow: an act of coming in or flowing in

Thesaurus: profits, proceeds, returns, revenue, earnings, wages, pay, salary, take-home pay, takings
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

har·vest [hrvəst]
noun (plural har·vests)
1. quantity of crop: the quantity of a crop that is gathered or ripens during a season

Thesaurus: crop, yield, produce, return, fruitage, ingathering
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

yield [yeeld]
verb (past and past participle yield·ed, present participle yield·ing, 3rd person present singular yields)
1. transitive verb produce something: to produce something naturally or as a result of cultivation

Thesaurus: harvest, crop, produce, vintage, profit, earnings, INCOME, revenue, return

if we must assume probabilities, let based it on our understanding of other events, commandments/instructions, practices e.t.c at the time. we know the following;
1. Prior to conversion, the gentiles were not tithing to God
Neither were they fasting or praying to God.

2. Acts 15 provide details of the aspect of the Jewish practice that the gentiles were required to comply with and tithe was not included
Wrong, Acts 15 provides details of the aspect of the law of Moses they were required to comply with. Fortunately for us, the laws of God are not limited to the law of Moses. Tithing was BEFORE Moses' grandfather!

3. We know from the O.T that there was an instruction for the Levites to receive tithe and the Hebrews 7:8 you keep regurgitating refers only to the Levite. We don't find a contrary instruction for gentiles to tithe to pastors
The bolded is right and is what i've been saying for about 12pages, except you mistakenly wrote this.

4. In the course of establishing the tithe in the O.T, God declared the tithe of the land as sacred to him, he defined his tithe and mandated that this should be given to the Levite as their inheritance. In the NT, God did not modify this definition and beneficiary.
You make it sound so cool, establishing, declared, defined, mandated, bla bla. All na grammar. Every Bible student knows when God was specific and detailed in the law. Compare the issues of making the tabernacle, or of cleansing, or of sacrifices, with what you're saying of tithes. There is no such detail and definition given. It simply states that the tithe is holy to God.

Lev 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

Lev 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

It's not limiting it or defining it or establishing it. The focus is that tithes belong to God. In other places, it mentioned of some tithe that belong to widows and levites. Take the scriptures cumulatively not in some regimented isolation nobody demanded of you.

5. We know Paul did not collect tithe because [s]a. there was no contrary instruction that tithe can be received by non-Levi priests;[/s] b. Paul refused to burden the converts by working to earn his living. If tithe was the key to wealth, Paul would not deny the gentile Christians their 'breakthrough', instead Paul went from one Church to another collecting from those that are better off to support those in need. We know very well that most of the bible verse used to support prosperity gospel were Paul' s statements, yet Paul did not practice it.
selective reading yet again. paul never gave a reason for not collecting tithes or for collecting tithes. i thought you loved to argue that Paul did not talk about tithes? suddenly you know the reason why Paul did not collect what he did not talk about? i didn't say tithe is any key to wealth, dunno why you're devilishly trying to push that on me. Paul didn't 'burden' people but could have. He had the power to, it was his personal decision as shown here.
1Co 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
1Co 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

So image123, on what basis do you want me to assume that the gentiles tithed?
On the basis that they were mindful of the words of the holy prophets. Words like Malachi 3 and co. grin grin
The gentiles gave more than 10%. they didn't need to be taught giving. Many of them gave their all. The early christians were serious and practical. Today, we have little of their type left, people need to be taught to give. You don't teach alphabets to an O'levels student. Why should they be taught on 10% when they had given their all and were ready to give their eyes? Its unlike many of the wishy washy folks today, who are still asking if it is reading the Bible is necessary or not.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 7:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
Bidam: 8. In the one case, the tenth is collectected by men who die(levi); but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living(christ). Connect that scripture with heb5:6 paul was clear on that: And he says you are a priest forever in the order of melchizedek.heb7:9. One might even say that levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham,10. Because when melchizedek met Abraham, levi was still in the body of his ancestor. Summary:[size=20pt]melchizedek=Christ[/size](immortal and Spiritual).dispensation of Grace(spiritual jews). Men=Levi(mortal and earthly)under the law(jews).

This is your heresy exposed!

New International Version (©1984)
Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.

New Living Translation (©2007)
There is no record of his father or mother or any of his ancestors--no beginning or end to his life. He remains a priest forever, resembling the Son of God. Hebrews 7:3

Tell how Melchizedek = Jesus with the above verse
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 7:56pm On Dec 03, 2012
@ Image123,

Let's "assume" and/or "agree" that the tenses of Hebrews 7:8 on your "receives/receiveth" and all that stuff is considered and/or ignored; WHO IS THE "HE" that "receive, receiveth, received" or whatever, Who is the "he" in that context or verse Melchizedek or Jesus
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
Image123:
You well know that i was referring to the first/bolded part of that verse, while Bidam was referring to the second/latter part of the verse. In case, by any sick chance, you didn't really know, well re-read it now with a better understanding. i'm talking to all of you that fell for the zikky bait BTW, zikkyy and fans.

Image, you should know by now that I take time to read posts before responding. Whether you were referring to the first part & Bidam referring to the second part does not change anything. The conflict results from the period you referred to. while image123 is of the view that it was mortals that received tithe at the time the Hebrews letter was written, Bidam view was that the receiver was Christ himself. So who received tithe after the law (according to the Hebrew verse)? Jesus or Levi priests?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 10:18pm On Dec 03, 2012
Image123:
As much as you're trying to make it a 'there' and 'here' argument, that's not what we are talking about yet. We are talking about 'receiveth' and 'received'. There is a difference of tenses. I bake is different from i baked. Now, you're trying to blame the King James. Look at it in 7other translations. i guess all of them don't know their tenses like you do.Focus on the 'receive' instead of 'received' if you can.
1. (ALT) And here on the one hand dying [fig., mortal] men receive tithes, there on the other hand [it is] being witnessed that he lives.
2. (BBE) Now at the present time, men over whom death has power take the tenth; but then it was taken by one of whom it is witnessed that he is living.
3. (DRB) And here indeed, men that die receive tithes: but there, he hath witness that he liveth.
4. (Darby) Heb 7:8 And here dying men receive tithes; but there one of whom the witness is that he lives;
5. (GNB) In the case of the priests the tenth is collected by men who die; but as for Melchizedek the tenth was collected by one who lives, as the scripture says.
6. (LITV) And here dying men indeed receive tithes, but there it having been witnessed that he lives;
7. (WNT) Moreover here frail mortal men receive tithes: there one receives them about whom there is evidence that he is alive.

They are all in continuous tense. Why didn't they say men received tithes? That would so much have helped your case. Especially when one considers that the chapter freely used past tense where things were past. Pls, take note of the bold.

Ok, maybe you are confused - I am not arguing that 'men indeed receive tithes' - I have clearly said those men are Levitical Priests and no one else. If that is your point of argument, refer to this post below:

debosky:

The 'men' described here, as shown in other translations, are PRIESTS - i.e. those serving in the Levitical Priesthood, those who still conform to the law and NOT individuals in the church. To those men/Priests, there is no 'after the law' as they don't believe in Jesus as Jehovah's Salvation, just like many present-day Jews. They are effectively living under the dispensation of the law. And it is these people you refer to as justification? Heck you might as well refer to Pharisees as justification - oh wait, you've done that already in Matthew.

I am sure those priests also were receiving and administering burnt sacrifices (as practiced under the law) - where did the disciples 'condemn' that, since that is what you are emphasising? Please show me where burnt offerings were condemned by Apostles.

My argument is about your false claim that Melchisedek continues to receive tithes.

Heb 7:6 But he whose descent is not count[b]ed[/b] from them receive[b]d[/b] tithes of Abraham, and bless[b]ed[/b] him that had the promises.
Heb 7:7 And without all contradiction the less is bless[b]ed[/b] of the better.
Heb 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Heb 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, paid tithes in Abraham.
Heb 7:10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchizedek met him.

If you can't see this, its beyond me what can be done to show you. Verses in Hebrews 7 refering to Genesis 14 all very clearly show the action in past tense.
Melchi and Levi are of a different order of priesthood. Jesus was our High Priest even while the Aaronic priesthood was in place. In the end of the day, it is to God that you give tithes.

Again, the issue here is your claim that Melchisedek continues to receive tithes - I have no argument about 'present continuous' receipt of tithes by Levitical Priests.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 10:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
Image123:
i retain that they should be. if you agree to tithes and offerings, fine, very fine. Pastors are maintained with tithes and offerings today. there are different types of offerings. If you feel like giving your own pastor food, crops and animals, go ahead. they'll do with it, what they know is best. your own na to bring the animal. A giver like you, i expect cow, goats, fat chicken and turkey aplenty. It's very god and welcome

You pretend not to understand my post. The animals relate to burnt offerings. If you are saying Christ commands that pastors be maintained exactly the way it was done in the OT, then pastors should be maintained with animals sacrificed as burnt offering to God.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 4:39am On Dec 04, 2012
debosky:

When did tithes become the requirement for establishing 'relationship' or faith in Jesus Christ?

Even if we accept this 'tithe' for relationship argument - since Levi didn't tithe because his father Abraham had tithed, why do I need to tithe now since I also consider Abraham my father?

Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God.

My faith has already 'connected' me to what is accomplished in Heaven and bringing it to pass on earth.
faith without works is a dead faith.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 4:45am On Dec 04, 2012
Saint paris: Of all the laws and commandment God gave in the OT you guys choose to follow only one, tithe. show me in the old testament where d bible says law of tithing..there is law of peace offering, burnt offering but NEVER law of tithing..tithing is a principle(ordinance) not a law.

Why?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 4:55am On Dec 04, 2012
TheShopKeeper:

@Bidam

The two letters to the Corinthian Church was written by Paul to give a proper order on how the gentile christian should live their lives in an environment which was rather corrupt and full of vices.
Paul wrote these letters after he received information about how the christians were living their lives which wasn't what was excepted of them. A good example is the man having a martial intercourse with either his own mother or step-mother. (please try and research the kind of lifestyle of the Corinthians in the 1st Century). I guess you would have heard the saying - "living like a Corinthian".
Furthermore, the two letters focuses on how the house churches should related with each other. If you take time to study the two letters, you will find out that the church in question is full of spirit-filled christians who can doing unspeakable things, just like we have in many of our churches today.
Historically, Paul wrote four seperate letters to the church, but only two survived that is the 2nd letter (now known as the Ist Corinthian) and the 4th letter (now known as the 2nd Corinthian).
Please do further study, you will find out that Paul did not in any of the Corinthian letters specifically mentioned anything to do with tithing.
Paul wrote on many topics, such as how to relate with one another as brothers and sisters, his own personal views on marriage and celibacy, eating food offered to idols (as meats sold in the market places are firstly offered to the many idols in the Corinthian society), how men and women should dress to be different from the idol worshippers, Spiritual gifts etc.
Thanks.
irrelevant to d topic of disscussion.read those verses i quoted properly one of the things paul discussed as you rightly stated was tithes/offering..just because paul never mentioned tithes in those verses doesn't mean it's not there..like image said u guys dnt know d difference btw laws and ordinances..there are different laws in scriptures and Tithing is alwaz interchanged as Givings in the new testament..tithing is a principle not a Law.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 5:45am On Dec 04, 2012
Two quotes from some previous posts so peeps will understand where we are coming from;

1. You said income is.......

Image123: @zikkyy
Income is profits, proceeds, returns, harvest, revenue, earnings, wages, pay, salary. tithe is a 10% of what you make.

2. You said even the illiterate Israelites knew tithe was simplke 10% of income.....

Image123: @zikkyy
There is no dictionary meaning of tithe or of salvation in the Bible. Even the 'illiterate' Israelites were taken for granted to know the meaning of tithes. it is simply 10% of income.

Your definition of income below.....

Image123:
in·come [ín kùm]
(plural in·comes)
noun
1. money received over period: the amount of money received over a period of time either as payment for work, goods, or services, or as profit on capital

Thesaurus: profits, proceeds, returns, revenue, earnings, wages, pay, salary, take-home pay, takings

No-where in the definition of income above do you find any suggestion that income is also harvest, not even the thesaurus. You also provided a definition of Harvest (below)...

Image123:
har·vest [hrvəst]
noun (plural har·vests)
1. quantity of crop: the quantity of a crop that is gathered or ripens during a season

....and did you see any reference to income in the definition of harvest? No.

So to validate your position and escape embarassment, you decided to bring up the word 'yield' and show from it that income=harvest, the result was the definition below.....

Image123:
yield [yeeld]
verb (past and past participle yield·ed, present participle yield·ing, 3rd person present singular yields)
1. transitive verb produce something: to produce something naturally or as a result of cultivation

Thesaurus: harvest, crop, produce, vintage, profit, earnings, INCOME, revenue, return

You should be ashamed of yourself. This is how you have been trying to manipulate the scriptures to show tithe is for Christians angry The word yield can mean a lot of things but never income or harvest at the same time (because income is not harvest as you have shown in your definition). Two different use of the word 'yield' as it relates to the discussion;

a. to make a profit
The combined investment is expected to yield £5,000 in the first year.
yield a profit/return: This figure could yield a return high enough to provide a healthy pension.

Thesaurus entry for this meaning of yield:
Synonyms or related words for this sense of yield
Relating to making profit: commercial, speculative, pay, boom, yield, boom, speculation, profitability, arbitrage, commercialism...

b. to produce fruit, vegetables, or other foods

Thesaurus entry for this meaning of yield
Synonyms or related words for this sense of yield
What plants can do: bear, bloom, blossom, bud, choke, climb, come out, come up, die back, fade...

You can see there is no direct relationship between income and harvest. So if i get you correctly, even the illiterate Israelite needed to first define the world yield, then use a thesaurus to prove that their harvest is income angry
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360:

This is your heresy exposed!

New International Version (©1984)
Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.

New Living Translation (©2007)
There is no record of his father or mother or any of his ancestors--no beginning or end to his life. He remains a priest forever, resembling the Son of God. Hebrews 7:3

Since you have the bible, look at heb5..Paul revealed Christ as a High priest in the order of Melchizedek..connect it with heb7.16-28)..i beleive u agree with me paul was talking about Christ..and i clearly remember when u said david was not a priest and i quoted relevant scriptures where david not only functioned as a priest but also ordain his sons to serve as priest in the temple...now if u read psalm110..why would david speak of melchizedek? Let me answer:becos david was inspired to prophesy d coming of a messiah in the order of melchizedek(a future individual) who also was to be seated at God's right hand and would also be a high priest of our calling just as paul was inspired in hebrews7..study the whole book and not just one particular verse. Your arguments dat melchizedek doesn't have a father and mother and Jesus has a mother is baseless and logical..we are talkin about spiritual issues which are beyond human reasoning and comprehension here...it's just lyk d argument dat elijah in the old testament is different frm d elijah(john d baptist) of d new testment. Did Elijah die in d old testament? No..Did john the baptist die in the NT? Yes. Was melchizedek priest of the Most High God crucified in the OT? No..Was Jesus Christ crucified? Yes..God made away with d Old dat He might established the New..there is no greater sacrifice u can give to God more than what Christ has paid on the Old rugged cross..no wonder paul said i urge u in view of God's mercies to offer your bodies as living sacrifices holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship(rom12:1).does dat mean we should give our bodies to be burnt? No.Ur body is ur toil here on earth and dat includes: prayer,worship,time,money(tithes and offerings),resources..etc..and all these are spiritual acts of worship pleasing to God..and that is why i said tithing is a spiritual principle.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 8:03am On Dec 04, 2012
Image123: @zikky

You've asked more than one question, even if i answered this one, you'd ask three more. i'm not under a debt to answer your every question. i'm answering your questions in order of relevance to the points being discussed, so that you see the real issues instead of gallivanting around aimlessly. BTW, the goal of the law, which is love, is achieved by anyone who adheres to it. Love has not passed away.1Corinth 13.

i retain that they should be. if you agree to tithes and offerings, fine, very fine. Pastors are maintained with tithes and offerings today. there are different types of offerings. If you feel like giving your own pastor food, crops and animals, go ahead. they'll do with it, what they know is best. your own na to bring the animal. A giver like you, i expect cow, goats, fat chicken and turkey aplenty. It's very good and welcome.

1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

CEV

1Co 9:13 Don't you know that people who work in the temple make their living from what is brought to the temple? Don't you know that a person who serves at the altar is given part of what is offered?
1Co 9:14 In the same way, the Lord wants everyone who preaches the good news to make a living from preaching this message.

You are proving lazy and dishonest. i don't do online dictionaries and thesaurus as i have one. But i'll oblige you with the microsoft on my system. Merriem Webster is also similar.

in·come [ín kùm]
(plural in·comes)
noun

har·vest [hrvəst]
noun (plural har·vests)

yield [yeeld]

Wrong, Acts 15 provides details of the aspect of the law of Moses they were required to comply with. Fortunately for us, the laws of God are not limited to the law of Moses. Tithing was BEFORE Moses' grandfather!

The bolded is right and is what i've been saying for about 12pages, except you mistakenly wrote this.

You make it sound so cool, establishing, declared, defined, mandated, bla bla. All na grammar. Every Bible student knows when God was specific and detailed in the law. Compare the issues of making the tabernacle, or of cleansing, or of sacrifices, with what you're saying of tithes. There is no such detail and definition given. It simply states that the tithe is holy to God.

Lev 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

Lev 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

It's not limiting it or defining it or establishing it. The focus is that tithes belong to God. In other places, it mentioned of some tithe that belong to widows and levites. Take the scriptures cumulatively not in some regimented isolation nobody demanded of you.

selective reading yet again. paul never gave a reason for not collecting tithes or for collecting tithes. i thought you loved to argue that Paul did not talk about tithes? suddenly you know the reason why Paul did not collect what he did not talk about? i didn't say tithe is any key to wealth, dunno why you're devilishly trying to push that on me. Paul didn't 'burden' people but could have. He had the power to, it was his personal decision as shown here.
1Co 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
1Co 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

On the basis that they were mindful of the words of the holy prophets. Words like Malachi 3 and co. grin grin
The gentiles gave more than 10%. they didn't need to be taught giving. Many of them gave their all. The early christians were serious and practical. Today, we have little of their type left, people need to be taught to give. You don't teach alphabets to an O'levels student. Why should they be taught on 10% when they had given their all and were ready to give their eyes? Its unlike many of the wishy washy folks today, who are still asking if it is reading the Bible is necessary or not.

why are you defining income instead of defining harvest?

You are supposed to define "harvest" = income.

You are a afraud that wants to gain riches through the gospel.

This by exploiting others.

Your love for God can not take your making sacrifices but you must get back riches other wise no. And this through tith.

The apostles died for christ dont forget.

Greed.
I hope that you live forever with your exploit.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 8:59am On Dec 04, 2012

But they were fasting and praying to their own god. Were they tithing to their god? NO. What that tells you is that they were used to fasting and praying what changed was the God/god they prayed to.

This is not smart. even if tithing was before Adam, the tithe at the time was tithe as required by the mosaic law. Nobody gave a tenth of war spoils after the law was issued. The only tithe that God claimed as sacred is the tithe practiced under the law. Every other rendering of a tenth is at the individuals discretion, probably a personal vow to God (like Jacob did). We know the laws of God are not limited to the mosaic law, but the laws of God (outside the mosaic law) does not contain the compulsory payment of a tenth to a pastor. By giving a tenth of harvest to the Levites you are obeying the mosaic law, and by paying a tenth of your income to your church/pastor you are obeying your pastor.

I don't know what you are talking about.

Are you saying the Lev. 27 you quoted above simply states that the tithe is holy to God? or is it saying that the tithe of the land, whether of the seed or the fruit of the tree is holy to God? Even a blind man will see the difference! You need to wake up from your nightmare and face reality.

Go back and read that Lev. 27 chapter and tell us where it says that any form of income whether salary, income from prostitution, fraud, robbery is holy to the Lord! The definition is not limiting abi? all tithes belong to the Lord abi?

There is no tithe that belongs to widows. There are other types of tithe, but they all have something in common; the tithe was from the harvest which is holy to the Lord:

The second tithe:

Deuteronomy 14:22 (KJV)
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

You can see it was always about the harvest (Agric produce)

The third tithe:

Deuteronomy 14:28-29 (KJV)
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

I believe you can read. The Levite, stranger and fatherless + widow shall come and shall eat. eat what? money? No, Agric produce. It did not say drop money at the gate for the fatherless and widow to pick and spend.

I believe we agreed to work with probabilities here, so what this talk about Paul giving or not giving a reason? and nobody is claiming that you see tithe as key to wealth (even though we know you do smiley), it is the general perception. Paul did not burden people yes, the question is why not? when he 'knew' (according to our pastors) it was for their prosperity, why did he deny them the opportunity to prosper? that's for you to think about.

On the basis of the law? i thought you said you don't tithe based on the law? Act 15 makes nonsense of this assumption anyways.

The gentiles gave more than 10% agreed, and you know why? it's because you don't teach giving. It comes as a nature, it is not based on a command to give. The gentiles were true Christians, they gave from their heart. we cannot say the same for people like you. The Apostles taught the gentiles charity, they taught them love and what was the result? they gave their all! Today's pastors teaches giving in percentages, and what is the result? we have 'Christians' (like Image123) using (scientific grin) calculator to determine their giving angry
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 9:06am On Dec 04, 2012
debosky:
Ok, maybe you are confused

Na today? i want to believe his aim here is to spread the confusion grin Bidam is just as confused.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 9:08am On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam:
like image said u guys dnt know d difference btw laws and ordinances..there are different laws in scriptures and Tithing is alwaz interchanged as Givings in the new testament..tithing is a principle not a Law.

Why don't you pick a dictionary and look up the meaning of principle.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 9:56am On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360: @ Image123,

Let's "assume" and/or "agree" that the tenses of Hebrews 7:8 on your "receives/receiveth" and all that stuff is considered and/or ignored; WHO IS THE "HE" that "receive, receiveth, received" or whatever, Who is the "he" in that context or verse Melchizedek or Jesus
that you're still assuming shows some insincerity when the passage tense is so clearly present and continuous. There are two groups of people in the talked about and one verb, no? Why are you making out like its one person the verse talked about? Let's settle the first before you move to the second where already know my answer BTW.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 10:14am On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360:

If Melchi = Jesus, i'll like Bidam to tell us what Melchi did with the spoils of war (his 10%). was it taken to heaven?.. am sure he did not give it back to Abraham smiley
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 10:15am On Dec 04, 2012
debosky:

Ok, maybe you are confused - I am not arguing that 'men indeed receive tithes' - I have clearly said those men are Levitical Priests and no one else. If that is your point of argument, refer to this post below:

My argument is about your false claim that Melchisedek continues to receive tithes.

Again, the issue here is your claim that Melchisedek continues to receive tithes - I have no argument about 'present continuous' receipt of tithes by Levitical Priests.
good of you, very good. The value of that is that people received tithes under the noses of the apostles without a word of condemnation or discouragement. Most antitithers treat the subject as if the very gospel and salvation hangs on it. To them, tithe is the mark of an heretic, blasphemy, who is a brother and who is not. Antitithing has become a ministry to them and anybody tithing MUST be gullible or a major beneficiary of "the tithe scan". This is the rooted notion being uprooted by fire, as it were.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 10:21am On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

You pretend not to understand my post. The animals relate to burnt offerings. If you are saying Christ commands that pastors be maintained exactly the way it was done in the OT, then pastors should be maintained with animals sacrificed as burnt offering to God.
You hypocrite, do your own part of faithfully bringing the animals. The pastors you can leave to do what's best with it, whether na burnt, or grilled, or fried they go take am do. I know you're not as thick-headed as the quote.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 11:18am On Dec 04, 2012

CEV

in·come [ín kùm]
(plural in·comes)
noun

har·vest [hrvəst]
noun (plural har·vests)

yield [yeeld]

why are you defining income instead of defining harvest?

You are supposed to define "harvest" = income.

You are a afraud that wants to gain riches through the gospel.

This by exploiting others.

Your love for God can not take your making sacrifices but you must get back riches other wise no. And this through tith.

The apostles died for christ dont forget.

Greed.
I hope that you live forever with your exploit.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 11:58am On Dec 04, 2012
Sorry i missed this.

Image123:
BTW, the goal of the law, which is love, is achieved by anyone who adheres to it. Love has not passed away.1Corinth 13.

You claimed the goal of the 'mosaic' law is love and i asked if the goal was achieved. The post above is not telling us that the goal was achieved, instead you are saying love is achieved when you adhere to the law! Mr. Image123 adhering to something you don't believe in does not result in love. To think you even referred me to 1 Corinthians 13! This is the first three verse of that chapter...

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (KJV)
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Is the above not telling you that love/charity is independent of your works/actions? Clearly the command to give a tenth of the harvest the Levite did not bring love.

Let me also illustrate with some extract from the book of Nehemiah. Consider the book of Nehemiah where the people vowed to comply with the law....

Nehemiah 10:29 (KJV)
They clave to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, whi[/i]ch was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the Lord our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

They actually complied by remitting the tithe to the appropriate quarters.....

[i]Nehemiah 12:47 (KJV)
And all Israel in the days of Zerubbabel, and in the days of Nehemiah, gave the portions of the singers and the porters, every day his portion: and they sanctified holy things unto the Levites; and the Levites sanctified them unto the children of Aaron.

with plenty of rejoicing grin...

Nehemiah 12:43-44 (KJV)
Also that day they offered great sacrifices, and rejoiced: for God had made them rejoice with great joy: the wives also and the children rejoiced: so that the joy of Jerusalem was heard even afar off. And at that time were some appointed over the chambers for the treasures, for the offerings, for the firstfruits, and for the tithes, to gather into them out of the fields of the cities the portions of the law for the priests and Levites: for Judah rejoiced for the priests and for the Levites that waited.

You already know what followed. It didn't take long for them to go back to their old ways. All that was required was for Nehemiah to leave town for a while grin.......

Nehemiah 13:6-12 (KJV)
But in all this time was not I at Jerusalem: for in the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon came I unto the king, and after certain days obtained I leave of the king: And I came to Jerusalem, and understood of the evil that Eliashib did for Tobiah, in preparing him a chamber in the courts of the house of God........

.....And I perceived that the portions of the Levites had not been given them: for the Levites and the singers, that did the work, were fled every one to his field. Then contended I with the rulers, and said, Why is the house of God forsaken? And I gathered them together, and set them in their place. Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.

Mr Image123, you cannot love because the law says you should love, it is not possible.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2012
Image123:
You hypocrite, do your own part of faithfully bringing the animals. The pastors you can leave to do what's best with it, whether na burnt, or grilled, or fried they go take am do. I know you're not as thick-headed as the quote.

You are avoiding the issue. It is not about me bringing my meat. It is about your interpretation of the bible verse. If you say pastors must eat as it was done in the O.T, it means Pastors must engage in sacrificing meat on the altar (offering burnt offering to the Lord). The offerings as commanded by the law must be burnt, that way it will be exactly as practiced in the O.T. pastor handling it any other way implies a deviation from the commandment, a modification of the commandment, and we know you are against any attempt at modifying Christ commandment.

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

If Melchi = Jesus, i'll like Bidam to tell us what Melchi did with the spoils of war (his 10%). was it taken to heaven?.. am sure he did not give it back to Abraham smiley
i have replied goshen read my post...and pls STOP BEING LOGICAL ABOUT SPIRITUAL ISSUES..JESUS IS ALIVE..and not dead..it is not stated in d OT wat melchi did with d 10%..since He is a priest of the Most High God i believe He gave it to God..Jesus Offered Himself on the cross..Jesus is also a High priest..why should a High priest offer himself?it is just like asking why Abraham should offer His son isaac? Do u get the point? Now check this most occultic pple also offer sacrifices to d devil..why should they do that? Ask them..and what they do is a counterfeit of what is scriptural..lets not even go into that.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by BERNIMOORE: 12:33pm On Dec 04, 2012
@Bidam

please lets engage in the followings;

Since you have the bible, look at heb5..Paul revealed Christ as a High priest in the order of Melchizedek..connect it with heb7.16-28)..i beleive u agree with me paul was talking about Christ..

i have seen how modern tithe advocates were so unfair to the bible teaching by using these two strategies;

(1) 'distorting' the real meaning of 'order of'as used in the context of the book of hebrews and psalms; [size=16pt]order of[/size] Melchizedek.

(2) Also watered down bible clear message in hebrew 7:13-14 by telling us that the tribe of judah(where jesus was made to come from),that there exist a priest there, against the bible claim ''of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood''and '' from which no man has officiated at the altar''(we shall treat it later);

Hebrews 7:13-14;

''13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood''.

(1) above

(1) 'distorting' the real meaning of 'order of' [/b]as used in the context of the book of hebrews and psalms; what does [size=16pt]order of[/size] Melchizedek mean in the context of book of hebrews?

Heb 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the ''similitude.[b]G3665
'' of Melchisedec there ariseth another
priest,

since the NT was written in greek, lets see the greek meaning

G3665

ὁμοιότης

homoiotēs

hom-oy-ot'ace

From G3664 ; [size=16pt]resemblance[/size]: - [size=16t]like [/size]{as} similitude.

heb 7:15 (New king james version)

15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the [size14pt]likeness of Melchizedek[/size], there arises another priest

heb 7:15 (young's Literal Translation)

15 And it is yet more abundantly most evident, if according to the [size=14pt]similitude of Melchisedek[/size] there doth arise another priest,

heb 7:15 Wycliffe (Wyc) Bible

15 And more yet it is known, if by the [size=14pt]order of Melchisedec[/size] another priest is risen up; [And more yet it is known, if after the order of Melchisedec another priest riseth;]

heb 7:15 Good News Translation (GNT)

15 The matter becomes even plainer; a different priest has appeared, who[size=14pt] is like Melchizedek.[/size]

can you see what is meant by ''order of Melchizedek'' from above bible translation; (resemblace, likeness, similitude,order)[/size]any other 'orders' outside these are fraud! and must be abandoned!

(2) also the strategy of watering down bible clear message in hebrew 7:13-14 by telling us that tribe of judah, there exist a priest, against the bible claim

.and i clearly remember when u said david was not a priest and i quoted relevant scriptures where david not only functioned as a priest but also ordain his sons to serve as priest in the temple

can you tell us pls, i cant find where you replied someone about officiating in the tribe of judah, pls im interested for clarity sake.

waiting pls!
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by PastorKun(m): 12:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:
Mr Image123, you cannot love because the law says you should love, it is not possible.

Image2123 has no clue as per what christian love is really about.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 12:46pm On Dec 04, 2012
Image123:
good of you, very good. The value of that is that people received tithes under the noses of the apostles without a word of condemnation or discouragement.

But it wasn't only tithes - people (i.e. the Jews) also continued giving burnt offerings in the temple, kept on giving all the various offerings prescribed under the law without a word of condemnation or discouragement, as well as giving tithes to the Priests. This lack of condemnation was not restricted only to tithes.

Most antitithers treat the subject as if the very gospel and salvation hangs on it. To them, tithe is the mark of an heretic, blasphemy, who is a brother and who is not. Antitithing has become a ministry to them and anybody tithing MUST be gullible or a major beneficiary of "the tithe scan". This is the rooted notion being uprooted by fire, as it were.

Maybe they do, but I can only hold brief for myself - I restrict myself to discussions about the Word and its interpretation. I don't think everyone tithing is gullible or a beneficiary, but I do believe that many people have become 'tithers' based on incomplete/distorted teaching of the word. If such people choose to remain tithers in light of the complete/wholesome teaching of scripture, then it's their prerogative.

I don't regard 'antitithing' as a ministry at all.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

Principle is a rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.e.g i tithe as a principle.While Law is a system of rules and guidelines which are enforced through social institutions to govern behavior..e.g thou shall not kill is a law. Principle validates a Law..i think u know dat there are individuals who don't cut corners to make money; such individuals are principled..While there are some who cut corners to make wealth and still maintain the laws of the land..
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: Thank u for replying my post and dat shows u don't throw anybody's view to d dustbin as thrash..but let me take it slowly one by one am in no hurry and i hope u re not too...WAS KING DAVID A PRIEST? am not d only believer who believes king david was a priest..dats a whole new topic entirely and i dnt want to derail d thread cos its talking about tithing..but to find out if king david was a priest u can go the this link..www.askelm.com/doctrine/ The exposition dere will blow ur mind cos u can't talk about melchizedek and Christ witout d mention of david who also was a type of melchizedek.. As u know in ancient isreal one is not required to be specially consecrated in order to perform d sacrificial functions anyone might approach d altar and offer sacrifices..chek (2sam24:25). Even solomon before d ark in jerusalem(1king3:15): David on the occasion of the transferance of the ark to zion and solomon at d dedication of d temple ministered as priest(2sam6:14,17,18,1king8:22,54). The kings of isreal ordained as priest whomever they chose. David invested his own sons wiith priestly office(2chr11:15..2chr23:18,2chr29:27)... And as for who do we give our tithes and offering to...ayam am coming with scriptural quotations to back those claims.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by plappville(f): 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: i don't think i will waste my time here discussing spiritual principles here..since u re blind to spiritual truths..wait till Christ returns then we shall know who is speaking truth and who is telling lies...but one thing am sure of that the Holy Spirit has taught me is that tithing is a spiritual principles..The whole scriptures shouts it..Jesus acknowledges it..Paul encourages it..God validates it .

Good bros....this applies with "Gods" sabbath abi?
Not a dot of the law will pass away, Jesus , paul, all apostles and the early gentiles obeserved the Sabbath, why una no dey follow this law then? Because He no dey bring money abi? If tithe is held strongely because of blessing, dont you know that God also blessed The
blessing ??

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Archbishop Martins Speaks On #EndSARS / Bishop David & Faith Oyedepo Celebrate 35th Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.