Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,031 members, 7,838,582 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. (23143 Views)

Revelation Chapter 7 / Exposition Of The Occult Prophets And Healers In The Organizational Churches / The Original Hebrews Are Black Africans From Ancient Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by BERNIMOORE: 11:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
@Bidam

Whether similitude, likeness or order..the truth is that Jesus is Our High priest..abi u wan tell me say u no need High priest again?

thats not the issue here brother! but the issue is you, because 'jesus became the high priest according to the likeness,similarity and resemblance of office of melchizedech, and not that jesus function under(insult) a so called 'priesthood order' formulated outside the bible context to suit the advocates of modern tithe theory. okay?

Jesus is seated at the right hand of God making interceding for us.

nobody is disputing this,but could be a diversionary tatics!

And as for David being a priest, read the post here:

may i tell you these today sir, levites (as a family) were commanded according to the law to receive tithes (an officiate as priests) from the people according to the law.

can you please let us consider;

hebrews 7:5

5 And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham;

David (a non levite) was not eligible under the law to officiate at the alter,

now let me cite the bible quotes in the cite that you quoted in your post;
one is not required to be specially consecrated in order to perform d sacrificial functions anyone might approach d altar and offer sacrifices..chek (2sam24:25)

David was directed to erect an alter, as the only 'emergency option' to stop the plague killing his people isrealites and not as a regular priest; read;

2 sam 24:18, 24-25
18 So Gad came to David that day and said to him, “Go up, erect an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of[h]Araunah the Jebusite.

David was reluctant because he knew tht he was not from the levite family, and knew the implication; read,

24 However, the king said to Araunah, “No, but I will surely buy itfrom you for a price, [size=14pt]for I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God[/size] [a]which cost me nothing.” So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.

David accepted only on the condition of Gad who directed him.and not because he is eligible but for emergency.that is the time the plague was removed,an emergency situation.

25 David built there an altar to the LORD and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. Thus theLORD was moved by prayer for the land, and the plague was held back from Israel.

levites were suffered by jeroboam,solomon's son who rejected the priesthood of levites not because he was right to do what he wants but a clear violation of Gods law!

he jeroboam appointed for himself[size=14pt] priests for the high places, for the demons, and the calf idols which he had made. [/size]

im surprised that you Bidam can even use this to butrss your point because you want to build modern tithe legacy, see what you are supporting your point with, pure idolatory priest,;

2 chron 11:14-15

14 For the Levites left their common-lands and their possessions and came to Judah and Jerusalem, for Jeroboam and his sons had rejected them from serving as priests to the LORD. 15 Then he appointed for himself priests for the high places, for the demons, and the calf idols which he had made. 16 And after the Levitesleft,[a] those from all the tribes of Israel, such as set their heart to seek the LORD God of Israel, came to Jerusalem to sacrifice to the LORD God of their fathers.

And lastly you claimed that David made his sons priests which is false, you cited
2 chronicle 29:27

27 Then Hezekiah gave the order to offer the burnt offering on the altar. When the burnt offering began, the song to the LORD also began with the trumpets, [a]accompaniedby the instruments of David, king of Israel.

no where in the bble verse above which you quoted that support David directing his sons as priest, nothing like that was even mentioned there read yourself now. David and solomon offererig up burnt offerings, offered peace offerings, and made a feast for all his servants does not make them priests or part of priesthooh family, they are one-off.

it is only the levites family that receive the commandment coded and written as statutes (hebrews 7:5) and that is why

(heb 7:14)

''
14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, [size=14pt]of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood[/size].

priesthood recognition has to be commanded and written down as atatutes before it can be recognised in the old law! mere one off offerings did not validate one as a priest,or belong to the priesthood family,because God had already set the pattern.
stop making a case for David but rather 'tribe of judah' are there priest in tribe judah?

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by ijawkid(m): 11:26pm On Dec 04, 2012
BERNIMOORE: @Bidam

thats not the issue here brother! but the issue is you, because 'jesus became the high priest according to the likeness,similarity and resemblance of office of melchizedech, and not that jesus function under(insult) a so called 'priesthood order' formulated outside the bible context to suit the advocates of modern tithe theory. okay?

nobody is disputing this,but could be a diversionary tatics!

may i tell you these today sir, levites (as a family) were commanded according to the law to receive tithes (an officiate as priests) from the people according to the law.

can you please let us consider;

hebrews 7:5

5 And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham;

David (a non levite) was not eligible under the law to officiate at the alter,

now let me cite the bible quotes in the cite that you quoted in your post;

David was directed to erect an alter, as the only 'emergency option' to stop the plague killing his people isrealites and not as a regular priest; read;

2 sam 24:18, 24-25
18 So Gad came to David that day and said to him, “Go up, erect an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of[h]Araunah the Jebusite.

David was reluctant because he knew tht he was not from the levite family, and knew the implication; read,

24 However, the king said to Araunah, “No, but I will surely buy itfrom you for a price, [size=14pt]for I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God[/size] [a]which cost me nothing.” So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.

David accepted only on the condition of Gad who directed him.and not because he is eligible but for emergency.that is the time the plague was removed,an emergency situation.

25 David built there an altar to the LORD and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. Thus theLORD was moved by prayer for the land, and the plague was held back from Israel.

levites were suffered by jeroboam,solomon's son who rejected the priesthood of levites not because he was right to do what he wants but a clear violation of Gods law!

he jeroboam appointed for himself[size=14pt] priests for the high places, for the demons, and the calf idols which he had made. [/size]

im surprised that you Bidam can even use this to butrss your point because you want to build modern tithe legacy, see what you are supporting your point with, pure idolatory priest,;

2 chron 11:14-15

14 For the Levites left their common-lands and their possessions and came to Judah and Jerusalem, for Jeroboam and his sons had rejected them from serving as priests to the LORD. 15 Then he appointed for himself priests for the high places, for the demons, and the calf idols which he had made. 16 And after the Levitesleft,[a] those from all the tribes of Israel, such as set their heart to seek the LORD God of Israel, came to Jerusalem to sacrifice to the LORD God of their fathers.

And lastly you claimed that David made his sons priests which is false, you cited
2 chronicle 29:27

27 Then Hezekiah gave the order to offer the burnt offering on the altar. When the burnt offering began, the song to the LORD also began with the trumpets, [a]accompaniedby the instruments of David, king of Israel.

no where in the bble verse above which you quoted that support David directing his sons as priest, nothing like that was even mentioned there read yourself now. David and solomon offererig up burnt offerings, offered peace offerings, and made a feast for all his servants does not make them priests or part of priesthooh family, they are one-off.

it is only the levites family that receive the commandment coded and written as statutes (hebrews 7:5) and that is why

(heb 7:14)

''
14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, [size=14pt]of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood[/size].

priesthood recognition has to be commanded and written down as atatutes before it can be recognised in the old law! mere one off offerings did not validate one as a priest,or belong to the priesthood family,because God had already set the pattern.
stop making a case for David but rather 'tribe of judah' are there priest in tribe judah?

Very good rebuttal..........
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 12:55am On Dec 05, 2012
ijawkid:

Very good rebuttal..........
@All antithers: sorry i culdn't reply all ur post...as u can see am not alwaz online..but i will try the best i can to answer some of d points@bernie: The argument is not about the tribe of judah funtioning as priests..i didn't bring up that subject if u followed the thread carefully Goshen said there was no king in the OT who functioned as a priest..i now cited david as an example with scriptures to back it up...first and foremost what is a priest? A priest is one consecrated to the service of the sanctuary and more particularly of the altar..this defination however holds true rather for the later than for the earlier stages of hebrew priesthood...u will agree with me that in ancient one was not required to be specially consecrated in order to perform the sacrificial functions only one might approach the altar and offer sacrifices..The arguments here is WAS KING DAVID A PRIEST? even if he wasn't..He operated as one in the ols testament even if he was unwilling to..dats my point...ayam not building any modern tithes monument...i have been consistent with my points xcept all of u guys are blind to see it due to arrogance or rather ignorance:zikky,goshen and co. Abraham was not even a jew yet he paid tithes..the jewish nation did not begin until the twelve patriachs came forth from jacob..let me summarise cos its lyk we re going round in circles on this issue and i need to do other important things on this forum...paul settled the matter of tithing in verse 8 of heb7..He states plainly that Christ receiveth them(tithes) of whom it is witnessed that he liveth...who are the witnesses that Christ is alive? Christians...Chriatians give tithes to Jesus..we might be gentiles in the natural but we are spiritual jews in Christ..u can't change scriptures...even if u apply logic lyk zikky...out of the 66 books in the holy scriptures,34 of them deal in one way or another with d subject of giving and recieving..IT IS A CHRISTIAN DUTY TO GIVE(NOT PAY) TITHES UNDER THE NEW CONVENANT...TITHING IS AN ACT OF WORSHIP..TITHING IS ABOUT RELATIONSHIP NOT ORGANISATION...TITHING CAUSES THE TITHE GIVER TO GIVE FREELY AND SPONTANEOUSLY RATHER THAN WAITING UNTIL AN APPEAL IS MADE..TITHING CREATES A COMMANDING POSITION OF STEWARDSHIP IN THE LIVES OF CHRISTIANS..TITHING INVOKES GOD'S BLESSING UPON THE TITHE GIVER..TITHING TEACHES US TO RECOGNISE AND ACKNOWLEDGE GOD'S OWNERSHIP OF OUR LIVES..TITHING IS GIVING IN A SYSTEMATIC MANNER RATHER THAN AN EMOTIONAL OR SPASMODIC GIVING AS U GUYS DO IN UR LOCAL ASSEMBLY...call it whatever u lyk tithing/offerings/givings...all are scriptural if u re a christian and the argument shouldn't be made in the first instance xcept ur god is ur belly..when it comes to the issues of money man is always dat way..i think u remember the story of annanias and saphira..dis my last post here folks...shalom.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 4:49am On Dec 05, 2012
Bidam:
u can't change scriptures...even if u apply logic lyk zikky...

You don't know that the ability to effectively apply logic is a gift from God? How do you read your bible? Do i have to be in a trance before i can read the bible? You think pastors are not applying logic when the skip other tithe related verses in the bible and focus on Malachi 3:10 or Mathew 23:23?

Bidam:
..IT IS A CHRISTIAN DUTY TO GIVE(NOT PAY) TITHES UNDER THE NEW CONVENANT...TITHING IS AN ACT OF WORSHIP..TITHING IS ABOUT RELATIONSHIP NOT ORGANISATION...TITHING CAUSES THE TITHE GIVER TO GIVE FREELY AND SPONTANEOUSLY RATHER THAN WAITING UNTIL AN APPEAL IS MADE..TITHING CREATES A COMMANDING POSITION OF STEWARDSHIP IN THE LIVES OF CHRISTIANS..TITHING INVOKES GOD'S BLESSING UPON THE TITHE GIVER..TITHING TEACHES US TO RECOGNISE AND ACKNOWLEDGE GOD'S OWNERSHIP OF OUR LIVES..TITHING IS GIVING IN A SYSTEMATIC MANNER RATHER THAN AN EMOTIONAL OR SPASMODIC GIVING AS U GUYS DO IN UR LOCAL ASSEMBLY...

These are all figment of your imagination. there are no scriptural basis for the statement above. You got this info in your dream, right? What you have done is to give us your personal (or a third party) view of tithe. This is how you interpret the bible? by telling us what you think without supporting scriptures?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 05, 2012
Zikkyy:

You don't know that the ability to effectively apply logic is a gift from God? How do you read your bible? Do i have to be in a trance before i can read the bible? You think pastors are not applying logic when the skip other tithe related verses in the bible and focus on Malachi 3:10 or Mathew 23:23?

These are all figment of your imagination. there are no scriptural basis for the statement above. You got this info in your dream, right? What you have done is to give us your personal (or a third party) view of tithe. This is how you interpret the bible? by telling us what you think without supporting scriptures?
Oga zikky...u re so obsessed about this tithing issue that u follow all the threads on thithing in nairaland..u ave been on it since 2009..wow how many years now? But u never learnt a thing or two on wat tony-t said..ayam enjoying the exposition of dat broda..u dnt even ave a basis attcking me on this tgread..remember wat u said in sept 2009God help u if u dnt..let me remind u..u said u re NOT AGAINST TITHERS..so u better find a profitable thing to do with ur time and stop following my comments...ayam having the best of time ryt now reading tony-t post in 2009..and Goshen ayam coming back to give u a mental knockout.lol
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 7:53am On Dec 05, 2012
Bidam:
Oga zikky...u re so obsessed about this tithing issue that u follow all the threads on thithing in nairaland..

Before nko? grin

Bidam:
..u ave been on it since 2009..wow how many years now?

You don't know anything. I have been on the tithe crusade even before i joined NL grin

Bidam:
..u dnt even ave a basis attcking me on this tgread..

I do. anytime you misquote, mis-interpret the bible you give me a basis smiley

Bidam:
..remember wat u said in sept 2009God help u if u dnt..let me remind u..u said u re NOT AGAINST TITHERS..

...and i repeated the same thing on this thread. I even told you i have 'tithers' at home tithing recklessly grin i don't have intention of discouraging anybody, if you want to stop tithing it will have to be your personal decision. I am not after you Bidam, i am after scripture twisting money loving tithe preachers. You fall into that category the minute you regurgitate their teachings here. what i do here is ensure readers get a balanced view of the concept of tithing (from both sides of the divide) so they are able to make more informed decisions. Even if you don't admit it here, you know we present by far the better argument grin if only you were not so hooked on tithing, am sure you would have told Image123 to go take a swim in the atlatic ocean wink

Bidam:
..so u better find a profitable thing to do with ur time and stop following my comments...

All you need to do is to stop posting smiley

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 8:06am On Dec 05, 2012
truthislight:
You are a afraud that wants to gain riches through the gospel.

This by exploiting others.

Your love for God can not take your making sacrifices but you must get back riches other wise no. And this through tith.

The apostles died for christ dont forget.

Greed.
I hope that you live forever with your exploit.

Don't mind the man. his mates are making it big time digging up graves in benin republic (for money making rituals grin), he is here thinking he can get rich by donating his salary to his pastor angry
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 8:24am On Dec 05, 2012
Bidam:
paul encourages believrs to give..and i am starting my own wit 10% even if i call am tithe e no bad.

If this was you basis for tithing, we won't be having this argument.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 8:37am On Dec 05, 2012
Zikkyy:

This is all you have to say? After all your 'gra-gra' grin when you were shouting "count me in Gosh, count me in" I was thinking Goshen was in serious trouble. You dey fall my hand grin
by now, you should have learnt that i can very well reply each sentence of an antitither's post if i wanted to, thank God for His grace. If Rancho's post or even www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe was the OP, I'll largely ignore the thread. But to insist and attempt to force on the populace that tithe is false doctrine or ended or wrong, that's unacceptable.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 8:50am On Dec 05, 2012
No Scripture has been truly presented that shows that tithing is ended or abolished. All we've seen are men's ideas punctuated by twisted passages.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 9:28am On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:
No Scripture has been truly presented that shows that tithing is ended or abolished.

I think you guys are having communication issues. The rendering of a tenth can never really end, why? because every kobo, dollar or pounds you give is a tenth of something irrespective of the name we call it.

My understanding of what ended is God's command for the Israelite to tithe. Ended in the sense that God has moved on; he no longer recognize the Levitical priesthood. Since there was never a command for gentiles to tithe, we cannot even begin to say God's command for Christians to tithe has ended. Everybody is free to give a tenth of his income or tenth of anything to his/her church, but it is not God's command. The problem we have today is that pastors in their bid to increase church revenue deceive the sheeple by linking the modern day request for tithe to the mosaic law.

Tithing should not be preached as God's command and individuals be given the freedom to decide if they want to give a tenth of their income to the church. So image123, you can decide to take your 10% to the church, it is your choice. It is not different from any other form of giving, the only difference being your decision to call it a tithe. It also not different from that of the man that decides to give 5% or 15% or 60%.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 9:45am On Dec 05, 2012
Image123: No Scripture has been truly presented that shows that tithing is ended or abolished. All we've seen are men's ideas punctuated by twisted passages.

What scripture have you provided to show tithing was recommended as a practice for Christians? All we've seen is holding on to 'tenses' (which refer to Jewish practice and not to Christians) as 'evidence'.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by PastorKun(m): 9:52am On Dec 05, 2012
Zikkyy:

I think you guys are having communication issues. The rendering of a tenth can never really end, why? because every kobo, dollar or pounds you give is a tenth of something irrespective of the name we call it.

My understanding of what ended is God's command for the Israelite to tithe. Ended in the sense that God has moved on; he no longer recognize the Levitical priesthood. Since there was never a command for gentiles to tithe, we cannot even begin to say God's command for Christians to tithe has ended. Everybody is free to give a tenth of his income or tenth of anything to his/her church, but it is not God's command. The problem we have today is that pastors in their bid to increase church revenue deceive the sheeple by linking the modern day request for tithe to the mosaic law.

Tithing should not be preached as God's command and individuals be given the freedom to decide if they want to give a tenth of their income to the church. So image123, you can decide to take your 10% to the church, it is your choice. It is not different from any other form of giving, the only difference being your decision to call it a tithe. It also not different from that of the man that decides to give 5% or 15% or 60%.

Brilliant summary, very apt.
1,000,000 likes smiley
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 05, 2012
Zikkyy:

Don't mind the man. his mates are making it big time digging up graves in benin republic (for money making rituals grin), he is here thinking he can get rich by donating his salary to his pastor angry
Do i sense a tweak of jealous hatred against pastors here? Even if we dash our pastors salary e dey pain u neh? SMH! Never wanted to comment anyway but the bitter bile coming out of ur mouth just becos we minister carnal needs to our pastors who feed us spiritual needs is nauseating to say the least...woe is me if i minister not to my pastor..oya come make anoda comment here..mr.lawgiver and judge.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 11:01am On Dec 05, 2012
Bidam:
Do i sense a tweak of jealous hatred against pastors here?

You are not sensing anything jor angry i think your sense organs are malfunctioning.

Bidam:
Do i sense a tweak of jealous hatred against pastors here? Even if we dash our pastors salary e dey pain u neh? SMH! Never wanted to comment anyway but the bitter bile coming out of ur mouth just becos we minister carnal needs to our pastors who feed us spiritual needs is nauseating to say the least...

Na wa for you. You people don't know how to read oh! maybe that's the reason you are having difficulty understanding tithing. I just don't understand why you think i hate pastors. Bidam i don't hate pastors and i am not jealous (nothing like bitter bile). I have pastor friends and sometimes contributes to their ministry even though i am not a member of their church! I am beginning to think you are the one after me here o!

Besides i wasn't even thinking pastor when i made that post, i was thinking of my friend, image123.

Bidam:
...woe is me if i minister not to my pastor..

You don dey curse yourself because of money matter. Wetin concern me? it's your money smiley

Bidam:
oya come make anoda comment here..mr.lawgiver and judge.

I don talk grin do your worst na angry
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 11:01am On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

What scripture have you provided to show tithing was recommended as a practice for Christians? All we've seen is holding on to 'tenses' (which refer to Jewish practice and not to Christians) as 'evidence'.
Matthew 23:23
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 11:03am On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:

Matthew 23:23 was referring to Pharisees (Jews) tithing agricultural produce to the Levitical Priesthood. That instruction is not applicable to Christians as we are neither subject to the law neither is there a Levitical Priesthood in existence to collect agricultural produce.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Joagbaje(m): 11:07am On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

Matthew 23:23 was referring to Pharisees (Jews) tithing agricultural produce to the Levitical Priesthood. That instruction is not applicable to Christians as we are neither subject to the law neither is there a Levitical Priesthood in existence to collect agricultural produce.

Tithing existed before Levitical priesthood . Besides its not only agricultural produce that are given as tithes . Tithe was paid in cash and kind.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 11:19am On Dec 05, 2012
I am having difficulty reconciling Joagbaje's reponse to Debosky's post.

debosky:

Joagbaje:
Tithing existed before Levitical priesthood . Besides its not only agricultural produce that are given as tithes . Tithe was paid in cash and kind.

Joagbaje, you just want to show activity here. Debosky was referring to Jesus comment in Mathew 23:23 and the period/people to which it is applicable angry wetin concern tithe before the Levitical priesthood for this matter?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 11:21am On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

wrong, all the words of Christ are eternal truth, spirit and life. There's nothing wrong with a Christian obeying the words of Christ.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by BERNIMOORE: 11:55am On Dec 05, 2012
@Bidam
Abraham was not even a jew yet he paid tithes..the jewish nation did not begin until the twelve patriachs came forth from jacob

Im happy that you recognise that Abraham was not a jew, and moreso his father Tire was a pagan. but do you honestly on you own see that what Abraham gave 'tenth-part' was not 'commanded' by God but a community practice unlike the 'leviticus who were really commanded by the law statutes', but Abraham 'vowed' a 'tenth part' of spoils,or a tribute offering;

GEN 14:22

22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, the Possessor of heaven and earth, 23 that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap

and let us see what is practiced during his(Abraham's) time and what could motivate him to do that.

There Was Actually A General Tenth Parth Which Is Of Pagan Origin And Precedes The Mosaic Law’s Tithe By Many Centuries,

The Separation Of A Certain Proportion Of The Products Of One’s Industry Or Of The Spoils Of War As Tribute To Their Gods Was Practiced By Various Nations Of Antiquity. The Lydians Offered A Tithe Of Their Booty (Herod. I, 89).

The Phoenicians And Carthaginians Sent A Tithe Annually To The Tyrian Hercules. These Tithes Might Be Regular Or Occasional, Voluntary Or Prescribed By Law

Moreso, Abraham's tenth-part offering (from war spoils) is reffered to by paul in hebrews as 'tenth-part' delibrately not using the word 'tithe' see below(in majority translations),

Hebrews 7:2,5 and 6;

2 Abraham.... one tenth of all he had taken.

6 ... collected one tenth from Abraham.

5 Levi..... to receive tithes

Now let us see the difference from the 'tithe' recognised for Gods people(isreal) which is a tithe only 'on increase'

WHAT IS REFERRED TO AS 'tithe' which meant and reccomended as a standard for Gods people(isrealites) IS ''ON INCREASE'' and not the one that followed the pagan traditions before the law!

Deutronomy 14:22,

22 “You shall truly tithe all the[size=14pt] increase[/size] of your grain that the field produces year by year. 23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.

Sabbatical years(every 7th year),there is no tithe requested for that whole year of twelve months! but you people cover this and apply malachi 3:10 (meant only for the isrealites/levites) and force members to tithe without sabatical! is that not fraud?

Even without increase in ones income,im not saying regular income,but tithe applied to only 'increase' as you can see but you still force one to give from the regular,thereby portraying God as 'a demanding God' because of your greed, is that right? keep the answer to yourself oooo!

paul settled the matter of tithing in verse 8 of heb7..He states plainly that Christ receiveth them(tithes) of whom it is witnessed that he liveth

was christ mentioned in verse 8 at all? read it yourself,

heb 7: 8;

Here mortal men receive tithes, but there[size=14pt] he [/size]receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives

'he' there was a continuation of 'the man melchi' in verse 1. ok?

IT IS A CHRISTIAN DUTY TO GIVE(NOT PAY) TITHES UNDER THE NEW CONVENANT...TITHING IS AN ACT OF WORSHIP..TITHING IS ABOUT RELATIONSHIP NOT ORGANISATION...TITHING CAUSES THE TITHE GIVER TO GIVE FREELY AND SPONTANEOUSLY RATHER THAN WAITING UNTIL AN APPEAL IS MADE..TITHING CREATES A COMMANDING POSITION OF STEWARDSHIP IN THE LIVES OF CHRISTIANS..TITHING INVOKES GOD'S BLESSING UPON THE TITHE GIVER..TITHING TEACHES US TO RECOGNISE AND ACKNOWLEDGE GOD'S OWNERSHIP OF OUR LIVES..TITHING IS GIVING IN A SYSTEMATIC MANNER RATHER THAN AN EMOTIONAL OR SPASMODIC GIVING AS U GUYS DO IN UR LOCAL ASSEMBLY.

Jesus never taught tithes so also the apostles but he taught 'giving cheefully out of what one has' and moreso 'if the willingness is there, it is acceptable' (1 corinthians cool

im not discouraging giving, because i set out any amount i deemed fit for giving, and at times not neccesarily through the church, even directly i will share the monies i set out and give to those who are needy directly, by following jesus clear example below;

Mathew 19-21;
Remember the young ruler was told by jesus to,

21, ‘’sell all ye have and [size=14pt]distribute to the poor[/size].and have treasures in heaven’’,

directly giving to the genuine poor in christ to help them is another way to 'treasure in heaven'where the treasure cannot be destroyed! and not a way of [size=14pt]enriching some individuals 'in sheeps covering, but inside them they are greedy wolves'[/size]

milking the gullible. anti tithers koo, antitither nii! if you know that you are sure of your self you dont need to run away. because with all this expose, many will be freed. you Bidam is the most surprising of all the advocates of modern scam called modern Tithe

surporting your priesthood from pagan culture before the law, and during the law (pagan jeroboam choosing priests for idol alter) this proves shows that you dont care about Gods flock only their money! abaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 11:55am On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:
wrong, all the words of Christ are eternal truth, spirit and life. There's nothing wrong with a Christian obeying the words of Christ.

I have not disputed the above, however any words of Christ must be understood in context and applied within context. The context of Matthew 23:23 is with regard to the law and its requirements to tithe - it is not applicable to Christians.

Besides, if the issue here is 'obeying the words of Christ', Jesus said approved of tithing cummin to Levitical Priests - are you tithing cummin to Levitical Priests? If you are not doing so, then you are not obeying the words of Christ in Matthew 23:23.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Tgirl4real(f): 12:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

I have not disputed the above, however any words of Christ must be understood in context and applied within context. The context of Matthew 23:23 is with regard to the law and its requirements to tithe - it is not applicable to Christians.

Besides, if the issue here is 'obeying the words of Christ', Jesus said approved of tithing cummin to Levitical Priests - are you tithing cummin to Levitical Priests? If you are not doing so, then you are not obeying the words of Christ in Matthew 23:23.

Very well said. You have really been patient dealing with this issue.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by RanchOwner: 4:20pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:

@ image123

To have a better understanding, the whole of Matthew 23 have to be read within the setting which Jesus Christ was referring to.
Right from Matthew 23:1, there was a rift between Jesus and the Jewish power structures (the Pharisees) which was becoming more intense.
Jesus is doing His possible best to reach out to these group of people to give up their traditional and nationalist concepts. We have read from the scriptures, how the Pharisees continuously tried to trap Jesus with questions. These questions usually focused on the controversial issues of their time (e.g. the woman brought to Jesus who was caught in adultery).

Now back to Matthew 23:23, Jesus was referring to the legalism of the Pharisees in tithing mint and dill and cummin (these can be garden or even kitchen items). They counted even the smallest spices so as to give ten percent to God, but yet they neglected justice, love and fidelity, which should be the bedrock of Christianity (being Christlike). If I may ask, please think, (What is the Gospel of Jesus Christ?) - this can be another topic to be discussed later.

As new testament believers, we must be careful not to turn Christianity into a new legal performance oriented code (a sort of Christian Talmud). In our desire to please God, we often try as much to find various guidelines for every area of life. This can be quite dangerous in our christian faith if we pull old-covenant rules which are not re-affirmed in the new testament and make them dogmatic criteria, especially when they are claimed to be causes of calamity or promises of prosperity.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 5:27pm On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

Actually, the context is as regards the hypocrisy of the pharisees and scribes, It is applicable to anybody including christians. The issue is the HYPOCRISY or DOUBLE STANDARDS i.e the false claim to or pretense of having admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings. The comparison is akin to the straining at a gnat and swallowing a carmel verse.
Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus called them hypocrites, why? FOR/BECAUSE ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith. They paid tithe(observing a small part of the law) to the DETAIL. He's not saying that they only tithed anise, mint and cummin, but that they tithed to the detail of anise, mint and cummin. These plants are flavourings, they are for aroma, like maggi or curry. The pharisees tithed to the last, that's what Jesus is saying. They strained at a gnat, something of little consequence. It's like someone at a gate or border searching to detail using microscope, metal detector etc, paying much attention and correction on the gnat, and would not allow the gnat to pass. they would make sure tithes are paid to the kobo as it were, but they swallowed a camel, they omitted the weightier matters. The camel would pass their gate/border without batting an eyelid, while they have all the machines and details for the gnat. There are some folks that way today, i don't support such too. these folks can pay tithe, calculate, porate, to the nearest kobo. they can tithe on gifts, even if someone gives them 20naira, they can write it down with aim to tithe. If they got a lift, they cantithe on the equivalent transport cost. That's detail, tithing mint, anise, cummin. But same folks would not help others even if its 20 naira, 100naira. They'd owe bills and debts, they'll commit fraud at work, be wicked lecturers and goverment workers, omitting judgement and mercy. There are folks like this today. This is the hypocrisy Christ was pointing out, not tithing according to one law or the other. he didn't mention anything about levitical priests. i give tithes of my income, which do not include anise or cummin or mint. He didn't mention animals so why the sudden focus you're putting on plants? Was levitical tithe only plant? You guys need to focus on the real issues and read the big picture, as it were.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:38pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:

Actually, the context is as regards the hypocrisy of the pharisees and scribes, It is applicable to anybody including christians. The issue is the HYPOCRISY or DOUBLE STANDARDS i.e the false claim to or pretense of having admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings. The comparison is akin to the straining at a gnat and swallowing a carmel verse.
Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus called them hypocrites, why? FOR/BECAUSE ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith. They paid tithe(observing a small part of the law) to the DETAIL. He's not saying that they only tithed anise, mint and cummin, but that they tithed to the detail of anise, mint and cummin. These plants are flavourings, they are for aroma, like maggi or curry. The pharisees tithed to the last, that's what Jesus is saying. They strained at a gnat, something of little consequence. It's like someone at a gate or border searching to detail using microscope, metal detector etc, paying much attention and correction on the gnat, and would not allow the gnat to pass. they would make sure tithes are paid to the kobo as it were, but they swallowed a camel, they omitted the weightier matters. The camel would pass their gate/border without batting an eyelid, while they have all the machines and details for the gnat. There are some folks that way today, i don't support such too. these folks can pay tithe, calculate, porate, to the nearest kobo. they can tithe on gifts, even if someone gives them 20naira, they can write it down with aim to tithe. If they got a lift, they cantithe on the equivalent transport cost. That's detail, tithing mint, anise, cummin. But same folks would not help others even if its 20 naira, 100naira. They'd owe bills and debts, they'll commit fraud at work, be wicked lecturers and goverment workers, omitting judgement and mercy. There are folks like this today. This is the hypocrisy Christ was pointing out, not tithing according to one law or the other. he didn't mention anything about levitical priests. i give tithes of my income, which do not include anise or cummin or mint. He didn't mention animals so why the sudden focus you're putting on plants? Was levitical tithe only plant? You guys need to focus on the real issues and read the big picture, as it were.

Thanks for placing it in it's proper perspective. Those who have listening ears and believing hearts will surely get the message.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 6:14pm On Dec 05, 2012
You pretend not to understand my post. The animals relate to burnt offerings. If you are saying Christ commands that pastors be maintained exactly the way it was done in the OT, then pastors should be maintained with animals sacrificed as burnt offering to God.
Take your animals to your pastors, they'll do what is best with the animals. Evn in the OT, na the priests and levites dey chop the thing so why you dey fear na? Your pastor will eat it with his fellows especially in this yuletide season. Or he may sell it and use the money for something worthwhile, like paying rent, bills, school fees, gospel tracts, books, evangelism, charity etc. Though you refused to know, he would know that

Heb 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

You should be ashamed of yourself. This is how you have been trying to manipulate the scriptures to show tithe is for Christians The word yield can mean a lot of things but never income or harvest at the same time (because income is not harvest as you have shown in your definition).
'Yield' is the same thing as 'income' or 'harvest'. i brought up the three so you can have a cumulative picture. Get a thesaurus or a good dictionar instead of disturbing me with frivolous semantics.

why are you defining income instead of defining harvest?

You are supposed to define "harvest" = income.

You are a afraud that wants to gain riches through the gospel.

This by exploiting others.

Your love for God can not take your making sacrifices but you must get back riches other wise no. And this through tith.

The apostles died for christ dont forget.

Greed.
I hope that you live forever with your exploit.
This one would start quoting me like a stammerer now. Anyways, i defined both income and harvest, can't you read? Zikky was complaining that i defined three, you are complaining that i defined one. i didnt really get the rest of the mumbo jumbo. The apostles died for Christ? i thought it was scripturally recorded the other way round embarassed

But they were fasting and praying to their own god. Were they tithing to their god? NO. What that tells you is that they were used to fasting and praying what changed was the God/god they prayed to.
How do you know they were fasting or praying to anything?

Are you saying the Lev. 27 you quoted above simply states that the tithe is holy to God? or is it saying that the tithe of the land, whether of the seed or the fruit of the tree is holy to God? Even a blind man will see the difference! You need to wake up from your nightmare and face reality.
Did the Bible only mention tithe in Lev. 27? When would you start to read cumulatively instead of segregationally?

On the basis of the law? i thought you said you don't tithe based on the law? Act 15 makes nonsense of this assumption anyways.
Malachi 3 is the law? Genesis is the law?

The gentiles gave more than 10% agreed, and you know why? it's because you don't teach giving. It comes as a nature, it is not based on a command to give. The gentiles were true Christians, they gave from their heart. we cannot say the same for people like you. The Apostles taught the gentiles charity, they taught them love and what was the result? they gave their all! Today's pastors teaches giving in percentages, and what is the result? we have 'Christians' (like Image123) using (scientific ) calculator to determine their giving
Luk 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you, good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again
Mat 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

You already know what followed. It didn't take long for them to go back to their old ways. All that was required was for Nehemiah to leave town for a while
This is no point. There is possibility of backsliding also in the new covenant/testament. There are several warnings by the apostles, refering us to past OT backskslidings telling us to beware. That one does something for God out of love doesn't rule out possibilities of backsliding.

Jude 1:5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

But it wasn't only tithes - people (i.e. the Jews) also continued giving burnt offerings in the temple, kept on giving all the various offerings prescribed under the law without a word of condemnation or discouragement, as well as giving tithes to the Priests. This lack of condemnation was not restricted only to tithes.
There was word/discouragement clearly against burnt offerings

Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Heb 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

I guess this will also make a perfect instruction, correction unto righteousness since it's also part of the "All Scriptures"......take a look:

22 You shall surely tithe all the yield of your seed produced by your field each year.

23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God in the place in which He will cause His Name [and Presence] to dwell the tithe (tenth) of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstlings of your herd and your flock, that you may learn [reverently] to fear the Lord your God always.

24 And if the distance is too long for you to carry your tithe, or the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His Name [and Presence] is too far away for you, when the Lord your God has blessed you,

25 Then you shall turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and shall go to the place [of worship] which the Lord your God has chosen.

26 And you may spend that money for whatever your appetite craves, for oxen, or sheep, or new wine or strong[er] drink, or whatever you desire; and you shall eat there before the Lord your God and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

27 And you shall not forsake or neglect the Levite [God’s minister] in your towns, for he has been given no share or inheritance with you.

28 At the end of every three years you shall bring forth all the tithe of your increase the same year and lay it up within your towns.

29 And the Levite [because he has no part or inheritance with you] and the stranger or temporary resident, and the fatherless and the widow who are in your towns shall come and eat and be satisfied, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do. - Deuteronomy 14, Amplified Bible (AMP)

You know this is also an instruction unto righteousness.........
There is nothing wrong with obeying this as far as you understand that it is a different tithe/tenth. you should learn to spend for/on and with others. Share your income with others, it is v.good for your health. Don't be a solo.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Thanks for placing it in it's proper perspective. Those who have listening ears and believing hearts will surely get the message.
My Brother miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. So you sef come hia, how you dey? Hope Christ is doing wonderfully in you?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:23pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:
My Brother miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. So you sef come hia, how you dey? Hope Christ is doing wonderfully in you?

I dey enjoy your posts as oyinbo dey enjoy im cigarette. Ride on my broda as a true defender of the faith that you are.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 7:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
@Opening Post
i thought to add a little knowledge to the Hebrews 7 understanding. We should realise that Hebrews 7 is not in isolation but surrounded by 12 chapters and more than 50 other books which all make up the Word of God. The theme of the Bible is Jesus, and the theme of Hebrews is Jesus.

Heb 8:1 Now a summary of the things of which we are speaking is , We have such a one high priest who has sat down on the right hand of the throne of the greatness in the heavens; (Darby Bible)

The book of Hebrews is a letter/epistle to the Hebrews attempting to show them (and us of course) that Jesus is the One above all and is the One to whom our faith should be attached. Recall "Looking on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith.", that's Hebrews 12. The book of Hebrews takes everything that the Jews respect and regard, place it with Jesus and shows, giving reasons, that Jesus is greater and should be embraced. When we hold on to this theme and anchor, we'll see the big picture and not be detracted or distracted into thinking that there is a chapter in the Bible dedicated to tithe(pro or anti). Notice there is no real antagonism of any kind against tithing in the Hebrews, unlike what antitithers paint for us. Tithe is an insignificant part of God's Word. It is a minor matter as stated by Jesus, and is not a guage for anything important. It's bad enough to hear that some pulpits focus on tithes(i'm yet to see one for myself BTW). but to come on a forum and magnify tithes in an anti-defence is eternally puzzling. There has been much ado over nothing on this thread unfortunately, and i know thee will still be in other threads to come up. Back to Hebrews, hebrews begins with a comparison of Jesus Christ and Angels. The first chapter tries to basically prove Jesus' superiority to angels.

Heb 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
The point of the writer to this claim among other things are as follows;

Heb 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of thy kingdom.

And he continues in the defence till about

Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
He's already pushing for his point of the NT era been better here,
Heb 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
The Jews/Hebrews naturally paid a lot of attention to the law, angels and co, but the epistle is bringing their attention to something higher and better. One, better than angels. two, better than Moses!! The Hebrews had a world of respect for Moses but this writer comes and says Jesus Christ is BETTER.
Heb 3:3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honor than the house.
i'm not dwelling on the reasons but on the THEME, Jesus Christ. He is better than angels and better than Moses. he says Moses is a servant while Jesus is a Son. Now, we can argue for or against that point scripturally,but the focus remains that Jesus is better than Moses.
Heb 3:5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
Heb 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

He's about now to enter something much huge and touchy. Notice that he never condemns the Old testament or the commandments of God on the way. Instead, he reckons with them. He says that the problem the OT Israelites had was unbelief. their problem was not tithe or the law. Paul said the law is good, and holy and righteous. Jesus and all the apostles had similar words for the law. Infact, John said sin is the transgression of the law. Not 'was' but 'is'. Anytime you transgress the law, you have sinned. Anytime you sin, you have transgressed the law.
1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

So the issue with the OT was not tithes or the law, but unbelief.
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
He talks about this for a while, adding in the process that,
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
Again, it is the what they heard that was wrong. They heard the gospel just like we do, that's what this verse says. All of the law is love. God is love. god so loved us that He gave. So far, so good, infact very good. the OT and its content is good and the gospel truth. The problem was that they did not believe/have faith. He further makes reference to the scripture.
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

You know, its good to note that at the time of this writing, and putting one's self in the shoes of the initial recipients of the epistle, The Word of God referred to was not majorly any book in the NT. What they knew then as scripture was majorly the OT. And here, we are told that this Word of God is alive and powerful and sharp. That is, the law and the prophets, books like Nehemiah, Psalms, Exodus, Jonah, Malachi are alive and powerful. this were their scriptures. James refers the OT as Jam 1:25 the perfect law of liberty, and said anyone who continued in it will be blessed. Peter said to put us in remembrance to be mindful of the words of the Holy prophets, prophets like Moses, David, Abraham, malachi and Elisha. John, Paul, Jude and others also copiously quoted the OT as pillar to the points they were making in their writings. Looking sincerely at the writers of the Nt, we find no antagonism against the OT or the writers, unlike what antitihers would have us believe that they are all useless, and all that matters and should be taken serious are writings after the resurrection.
The Hebrew enters a comparison between Jesus and Aaron in chapter 4. This is the core, as the Jews were majorly religious, seeking to follow the purity and righteousness of the Levitical order. He had briefly said in chapter 3,
Heb 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Now He begins to enter cautiously in chapter 4. He majorly lays the ground for comparison
Heb 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
Heb 5:4 And no man taketh this honor unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
Heb 5:5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made a high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, today have I begotten thee.
Heb 5:6 As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

He first introduces Jesus as High priest, then brings in Aaron, then Christ, then melchizedek. He then actually leaves off, to start the comparison at chapter 7. Along the way though, notice that he has no bile against OT priests or against the OT scriptures.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 7:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:
Actually, the context is as regards the hypocrisy of the pharisees and scribes, It is applicable to anybody including christians. The issue is the HYPOCRISY or DOUBLE STANDARDS i.e the false claim to or pretense of having admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings.

I have no issues with this as a general principle - hypocrisy is wrong.

He's not saying that they only tithed anise, mint and cummin, but that they tithed to the detail of anise, mint and cummin. These plants are flavourings, they are for aroma, like maggi or curry. The pharisees tithed to the last, that's what Jesus is saying.

Don't overreach yourself - the bible records tithes were of agricultural produce and animals, not monetary. If Jesus talked about anise, mint and cummin, don't 'add' to the scripture by extending it to everything else.

This is the hypocrisy Christ was pointing out, not tithing according to one law or the other. he didn't mention anything about levitical priests.

He didn't mention it eh? So who were the Pharisees tithing to? Was it to the Levitical priests or to other individuals?

i give tithes of my income, which do not include anise or cummin or mint. He didn't mention animals so why the sudden focus you're putting on plants? Was levitical tithe only plant? You guys need to focus on the real issues and read the big picture, as it were.

Levitical tithes were recorded as produce and animals only, so I am not putting 'sudden focus' - that is the biblical record. If you tithe your income, that is your prerogative, but that is not what is recorded in the scripture as tithing under the law, which is what Jesus commented on.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 8:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
@Opening Post contd...

Heb 7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;Melchizedek was a king and a priest. he was a priest of the most high God. Just like believers today are kings and priests.

Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:

We are kings and priests because we are joint-heirs with Christ who is our Head. We are the kings, and He is the King of kings. We are the priests and He is our High Priest. Our elders, leaders, pastors, bishops, and shepherds take the place of chief priests, with a mandate to give account of us.
Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
Christians/Believers are sheep, their elders are shepherds while Jesus is the good Shepherd and Bishop.
1Pe 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
1Pe 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Melchizedek was the only king that was also a priest in all of the old testament. Old testament kings were not allowed to minister as priests.
2Ch 26:18 And they withstood Uzziah the king, and said unto him, It appertaineth not unto thee, Uzziah, to burn incense unto the LORD, but to the priests the sons of Aaron, that are consecrated to burn incense: go out of the sanctuary; for thou hast trespassed; neither shall it be for thine honor from the LORD God.

Melchizedek, being a priest, had the pre-requisite/requirements/qualifications to receive the tithes and offerings of God. So also, Christ our High priest is qualified as a priest and a King. He is also of the order of Melchizedek. Nothing stops or disqualifies Christ from receiving tithes if truly Melchizedek was made like unto the Son of God.

And so, we see Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings. this event happened in the past and is rendered in the past tense. It happened as far back as Genesis 14.
Gen 14:1 And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
Gen 14:2 That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.

Four Kings in verse 1 made war with 5kings in verse 2. please, consider that this is not a riot or a melee. it's not university aluta,it's not even civil unrest, it was WAR. War between about 9 nations!! The kings in 14v1 won and had dominion for over 12years before Sodom and its allies mounted a rebellion. In that time, one of the four victorious kings(Chedorlaomer) had emerged as a major 'principality' defeating other nations around. See it below
Gen 14:4 Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.
Gen 14:5 And in the fourteenth year came Chedorlaomer, and the kings that were with him, and smote the Rephaims in Ashteroth Karnaim, and the Zuzims in Ham, and the Emims in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
Gen 14:6 And the Horites in their mount Seir, unto El-paran, which is by the wilderness.
Gen 14:7 And they returned, and came to En-mishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezon-tamar.

The rebellion was a failure as the four kings defeated the five kings again. Remember that we are not talking about wrestlers here, we are talking about armies, kings, kingdoms/nations so that you can understand and picture the magnitude. Infact one of the 4kings was called 'king of nations', he was that powerful. See it below;

Gen 14:9 With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.
Gen 14:10 And the vale of Siddim was full of slime pits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain.
Gen 14:11 And they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and went their way.
Gen 14:12 And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.

This is where Abraham comes into the picture, his relative, Lot was also captured in the war, and his goods. remember that we're not talking about one travelling bag here. lot was rich, so rich that he had to part ways with Abraham.

Gen 13:5 And Lot also, which went with Abram, had flocks, and herds, and tents.
Gen 13:6 And the land was not able to bear them, that they might dwell together: for their substance was great, so that they could not dwell together.

It is this Lot's possessions that were taken, a man who had great substance, herds, flocks and tents. The five kings took Lot's goods and family, took Sodom's goods, ALL the goods of Sodom, Gomorrah and of course the rest of the defeated kings. It was these that had been done before Abram abi na Abraham heard and came to fight. Obviously, the victory was not by his military prowess or strength but God. It was a miracle(Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. )

Here's the summary of the battle below in case you don't have your Bible close by.
Gen 14:14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
Gen 14:15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
Gen 14:16 And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.

It is after this that the King of Sodom and Melchizedek met him. Hebrews 7v1(who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him. )

Heb 7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
It was to Melchizedek that Abraham gave a tenth of ALL. ALL of course doesn't refer to the wives of people or to other people's property. it is wrong to give tithes of other people's property. Other people's property is theirs. Abraham didn't take Lot's goods and give tithes, neithe did he take the king of Sodom's goods according to the passage. Yet, it is recorded that he gave tithes of all. tithe is simply a tenth part i.e 10% as seen from Hebrews 7v2. A tenth is 1/10 of a whole.
Melchizedek was/is first King of righteousness. What a title! What a position! The priest of the most high God, and King of righteousness. What man can be King of righteousness? This is truly made like unto the Son of God, who is the Sun of righteousness(Malachi 4:2), and the Lord our righteousness(Jeremiah 23v6 and 1Corinthians 1v30).
melchizedek is also King of Salem, which is, King of peace. Salem is Jerusalem the city of the great King. The great king is by the way, Jesus Christ, the Lord of David. Jesus is the Prince of peace. He is the Lord our Shepherd that guides us besides still waters.
Psa 76:2 In Salem also is his tabernacle, and his dwelling place in Zion.
Psa 87:2 The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.

Whenyou read the passage, every other thing is supposed to pale in significance, compared with Him with whom we have to do. It is actually (Heb 7:13) He of whom these things are spoken (that) pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
The writer is not throwing light on tithes or on anybody but Christ.

Heb 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
For time and space, i'll be more brief ihope. Here is an awkward verse if looked at literally. Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life are the features in Melchizedek used to connect Him to Christ. This features make Him like unto the Son of God. In reality, the Son of God as the name suggest has a father(God) or physically (Joseph to the Jews), a mother(Mary), descent/pedigree and geneology well stated by Matthew 1 and Luke 3, beginning of days(Bethlehem) and end of life(Golgotha). So actually, the writer goes into something above the normal, apparent here. An issue that brings up debates on whether Christ is melchizedek and whatever, an issue i'm not delving into anytime soon by God's grace.
Heb 5:11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
Nevertheless, it is agreed that Melchizedek and Christ are being aligned in this passage as of the same order.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

A Godly Christian Lady Doesn't Wear High Heels - Evangelist Akande / Casting Out Spiritual husband(Oko Orun) / The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 214
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.