Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,609 members, 7,847,544 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:23 PM

Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. (23174 Views)

Revelation Chapter 7 / Exposition Of The Occult Prophets And Healers In The Organizational Churches / The Original Hebrews Are Black Africans From Ancient Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by plappville(f): 1:32pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: Principle is a rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.e.g i tithe as a principle.While Law is a system of rules and guidelines which are enforced through social institutions to govern behavior..e.g thou shall not kill is a law. Principle validates a Law..i think u know dat there are individuals who don't cut corners to make money; such individuals are principled..While there are some who cut corners to make wealth and still maintain the laws of the land..
Forget weder Principle or not. The bible no differentiate anything. Gods law is Gods law. If you break one, you
break all. If tithe is vakid for you, so does Gods sabbath thats my point.

@OP i beg no vex ooo. cheesy
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2012
Whether similitude, likeness or order..the truth is that Jesus is Our High priest..abi u wan tell me say u no need High priest again? Jesus is seated at the right hand of God making interceding for us. Am not manipulating anything..it is scripitures..i wonder why u guys are not seeing it the way ayam seeing it..actually the OT is just a shadow for what is to come..behold the NEW has come. And as for David being a priest, read the post here:
Bidam: Thank u for replying my post and dat shows u don't throw anybody's view to d dustbin as thrash..but let me take it slowly one by one am in no hurry and i hope u re not too...WAS KING DAVID A PRIEST? am not d only believer who believes king david was a priest..dats a whole new topic entirely and i dnt want to derail d thread cos its talking about tithing..but to find out if king david was a priest u can go the this link..www.askelm.com/doctrine/ The exposition dere will blow ur mind cos u can't talk about melchizedek and Christ witout d mention of david who also was a type of melchizedek.. As u know in ancient isreal one is not required to be specially consecrated in order to perform d sacrificial functions anyone might approach d altar and offer sacrifices..chek (2sam24:25). Even solomon before d ark in jerusalem(1king3:15): David on the occasion of the transferance of the ark to zion and solomon at d dedication of d temple ministered as priest(2sam6:14,17,18,1king8:22,54). The kings of isreal ordained as priest whomever they chose. David invested his own sons wiith priestly office(2chr11:15..2chr23:18,2chr29:27)... And as for who do we give our tithes and offering to...ayam am coming with scriptural quotations to back those claims.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 1:42pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam:
we are talkin about spiritual issues which are beyond human reasoning and comprehension here...

...and yet you (Bidam) was able to comprehend but Goshen cannot smiley abi you are not human?

Bidam:
i have replied goshen read my post...and pls STOP BEING LOGICAL ABOUT SPIRITUAL ISSUES..

You mean you don't believe i am functioning under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? Just because i don't agree with you? if it your (probably crooked) pastor talking you will say he is filled with the spirit because he tells you what your itching ears want to hear. You see yourself.

Bidam:
it is not stated in d OT wat melchi did with d 10%..since He is a priest of the Most High God i believe He gave it to God..

Lol! grin You mean he took the war loot to heaven and gave it to God? Don't forget you said Melchi=Jesus grin If Melchi=Jesus he must have gone back to heaven after collecting the tithe. So what did he use to transport the loot?

3 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 1:52pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam:
Principle is a rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.e.g i tithe as a principle.

So your tithe is therefore a personal principle and NOT a spiritual principle.

Bidam:
i wonder why u guys are not seeing it the way ayam seeing it..

Maybe it's because we don't understand what you claimed to be seeing ooh. You are seeing what your pastor wants you to see grin it's a mirage, it is not real smiley

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

...and yet you (Bidam) was able to comprehend but Goshen cannot smiley abi you are not human?

You mean you don't believe i am functioning under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit? Just because i don't agree with you? if it your (probably crooked) pastor talking you will say he is filled with the spirit because he tells you what your itching ears want to hear. You see yourself.

Lol! grin You mean he took the war loot to heaven and gave it to God? Don't forget you said Melchi=Jesus grin If Melchi=Jesus he must have gone back to heaven after collecting the tithe. So what did he use to transport the loot?
Yes i said so backing it with scriptural quotations..If God know show u something zikky no argue blindly..calling my pastor(Jesus) crooked does show d side u belong..u be d judge not me.May melchizedek went by whirlwind to heaven with the tithes..funny u should ask dat..since He has no geneology..The fact is Jesus is my shepard(pastor) and my High priest and My Father. Remember i asked u WHO IS YOUR FATHER? answer my queshion and stop being self righteous and hypocritical.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

Yes i said so backing it with scriptural quotations..If God know show u something zikky no argue blindly..calling my pastor(Jesus) crooked does show d side u belong..u be d judge not me.Mayb melchizedek went by whirlwind to heaven with the tithes..funny u should ask dat..since He has no geneology..The fact is Jesus is my shepard(pastor) and my High priest and My Father. Remember i asked u WHO IS YOUR FATHER? answer my queshion and stop being self righteous and hypocritical.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 2:58pm On Dec 04, 2012
Chai, Brother Zikky don finish exposing Brother Bidam o. Chai! I love Image123 (not that I hate Bidam because we don't agree on this subject anyway) more that Bidam simply because, Image123 have proved himself to be grounded in the word "by himself" even though he hold on to tithe teaching for the NT Christians. I lost confidence in Bidam because he is NOT saying things he learnt but what someone told him or what he got from somewhere, that is why he is talking and contradicting himself - in the case, from a website. That is the reason he is talking different things and who knows what he will say next.

@ Image123, you still haven't answered my kweshion o. Please do.

@ Bidam, I see Zikky, BERNIMOORE and Plappville had replied you already. I will not bother anymore. You erred when you said Melchi=Jesus. Concerning your Heb.5 where you said Jesus was referred to as Melchi. We covered that aspect from the beginning of this exposition/thread. This is it,

1. The historic Melchizedek of Genesis 14 is a type and foreshadowing and not the person of Christ. If he were, it then means Christ lived on this earth before his virgin birth and that destroys the many teachings about Christ.

2. The Prophetic Melchizedek appeared in Psalm when David used the historic Melchizedek prophetically to give a future office of Christ. Under the prophetic, it is the "order" of historic Melchizedek that was prophesied and used, NOT the "person" of Melchizedek that Christ fulfilled.

3. The fulfilled Melchizedek is now Christ in the "order" of the prophetic Melchizedek from the Psalms, NOT from historic Melchizedek of Genesis 14. I mentioned that, for instance....Out of Egypt I have called my son - historically refers to National Israel coming out of Egypt BUT prophetically refers to and fulfilled in Christ.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by RanchOwner: 5:13pm On Dec 04, 2012
The heart of the book of Hebrews is the comparison between the Mosaic covenant and the New covenant in Christ. The New covenant in Christ is much "better," "superior," "more excellent," "more valuable," "higher rank", than that of the Mosaic covenant, which spells out 'death' as a consequence for not following it to the letter.

One thing that must be made clear is that Christians are not mandated to tithe, that practice has long gone, discarded, stopped after Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law.

I believe the NT guidelines for regular giving (if there are any) are found in 2 Corinthians 8 and 9, which go far beyond tithing.

The New Testament does not once introduce tithing into the grace of giving. Tithes are mentioned only three times in the New Testament:
(1) in censoring the Pharisees for neglect of justice, mercy, and faith while giving meticulous care to the tithing of even garden produce (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42)
(2) in the exposure of the proud Pharisee who 'prayed to himself,' boasting that he fasted twice each week and tithed all his possessions (Luke 18:12)
(3) in arguing for the superiority of Melchizedek, and hence of Christ, to Levi (Heb. 7:6-9).

It is clear that Jesus approved tithing as a part of the Temple system, just as in principle and practice he supported the general practices of the Temple and the synagogues. But there is no indication that he imposed any part of the Temple cultus on his followers.
Tithes were chiefly produce, formerly eaten at the sanctuary by the one tithing and later eaten by the priests. Tithing as set forth in the Old Testament could be carried out only in a religious system built around a system of animal sacrifice.

Many Christians find the tithe to be a fair and workable plan for giving. So long as it is not made to be a coercive or legalistic system, it may prove to be a happy plan. However, one may not validly claim that tithing is taught in the New Testament. It is recognized as proper for Jewish observance (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42), but it is not imposed upon Christians. In fact, it is now impossible for Jews or Christians to tithe in the Old Testament sense. Tithing today only faintly resembles the ancient ritual practice belonging to the sacrificial system of the Jews.

While much may be said for adopting the tithe voluntarily as a standard for one's giving without rigidly imposing it upon others as a Christian requirement, it is clear in adopting such a practice that one is not carrying on the Old Testament practice. At most one is doing something only remotely analogous to the tithing practice of the Old Testament, which was a tax to support the Temple and the priestly system, a social and religious system which no longer exists. Tithes were obligatory in Judaism as a tax until the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D, but they are not thus binding upon Christians. Even the Jews have stopped the legalistic system of tithing, why, because after the destruction of the temple in 70A.D, all the Levitical records were destroyed, making it impossible for them to continue the practice. We Christians have got a better covenant (called: Grace) in the order of our Lord Jesus Christ, who for once and for all, gave His life on the cross of calvary. What more do we want.

This is not to discredit tithing, but it is to clarify its relationship to the New Testament. It is to deny that the New Testament supports the coerciveness, legalism, profit motive, and the bargaining which so often characterise the tithing appeals today. As a voluntary system, tithing offers much; but it must be redeemed by grace if it is to be Christian. To plead that 'it works' is only to adopt the pragmatic tests of the world. Much 'works' that is not Christian. Tithing, if it is to be congenial to New Testament theology, must be rooted in the grace and love of God.

In conlcusion, Christians should give because we are blessed and that we love God, not by giving grudgingly because we anticipate we would be cursed if we didn't adhere. Our God surely loves a generous giver.

4 Likes

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Image123(m): 5:57pm On Dec 04, 2012
thank you.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360: Chai, Brother Zikky don finish exposing Brother Bidam o. Chai! I love Image123 (not that I hate Bidam because we don't agree on this subject anyway) more that Bidam simply because, Image123 have proved himself to be grounded in the word "by himself" even though he hold on to tithe teaching for the NT Christians. I lost confidence in Bidam because he is NOT saying things he learnt but what someone told him or what he got from somewhere, that is why he is talking and contradicting himself - in the case, from a website. That is the reason he is talking different things and who knows what he will say next.

@ Image123, you still haven't answered my kweshion o. Please do.

@ Bidam, I see Zikky, BERNIMOORE and Plappville had replied you already. I will not bother anymore. You erred when you said Melchi=Jesus. Concerning your Heb.5 where you said Jesus was referred to as Melchi. We covered that aspect from the beginning of this exposition/thread. This is it,

1. The historic Melchizedek of Genesis 14 is a type and foreshadowing and not the person of Christ. If he were, it then means Christ lived on this earth before his virgin birth and that destroys the many teachings about Christ.

2. The Prophetic Melchizedek appeared in Psalm when David used the historic Melchizedek prophetically to give a future office of Christ. Under the prophetic, it is the "order" of historic Melchizedek that was prophesied and used, NOT the "person" of Melchizedek that Christ fulfilled.

3. The fulfilled Melchizedek is now Christ in the "order" of the prophetic Melchizedek from the Psalms, NOT from historic Melchizedek of Genesis 14. I mentioned that, for instance....Out of Egypt I have called my son - historically refers to National Israel coming out of Egypt BUT prophetically refers to and fulfilled in Christ.
are u after the praise of men? Ofcos i read books to enhance my understanding...and i believe u do too..paul understood by books..daniel also jus to mention a few..and as for zikky he is sounding logical in order to win an argument..not teachin in love..and dat to me is unchristian attitude cos he has recieved d praise of men..sorry, as far as am concerned tithing is scriptural and God validates it..end of story
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by debosky(m): 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
RanchOwner:
One thing that must be made clear is that Christians are not mandated to tithe, that practice has long gone, discarded, stopped after Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law.

I believe the NT guidelines for regular giving (if there are any) are found in 2 Corinthians 8 and 9, which go far beyond tithing.

The New Testament does not once introduce tithing into the grace of giving. Tithes are mentioned only three times in the New Testament:
(1) in censoring the Pharisees for neglect of justice, mercy, and faith while giving meticulous care to the tithing of even garden produce (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42)
(2) in the exposure of the proud Pharisee who 'prayed to himself,' boasting that he fasted twice each week and tithed all his possessions (Luke 18:12)
(3) in arguing for the superiority of Melchizedek, and hence of Christ, to Levi (Heb. 7:6-9).

It is clear that Jesus approved tithing as a part of the Temple system, just as in principle and practice he supported the general practices of the Temple and the synagogues. But there is no indication that he imposed any part of the Temple cultus on his followers.
Tithes were chiefly produce, formerly eaten at the sanctuary by the one tithing and later eaten by the priests. Tithing as set forth in the Old Testament could be carried out only in a religious system built around a system of animal sacrifice.

Many Christians find the tithe to be a fair and workable plan for giving. So long as it is not made to be a coercive or legalistic system, it may prove to be a happy plan. However, one may not validly claim that tithing is taught in the New Testament. It is recognized as proper for Jewish observance (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42), but it is not imposed upon Christians. In fact, it is now impossible for Jews or Christians to tithe in the Old Testament sense. Tithing today only faintly resembles the ancient ritual practice belonging to the sacrificial system of the Jews.

While much may be said for adopting the tithe voluntarily as a standard for one's giving without rigidly imposing it upon others as a Christian requirement, it is clear in adopting such a practice that one is not carrying on the Old Testament practice. At most one is doing something only remotely analogous to the tithing practice of the Old Testament, which was a tax to support the Temple and the priestly system, a social and religious system which no longer exists.

The bolded sections are highlighted for emphasis.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:06pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Seconded! Need we say more
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: are u after the praise of men? Ofcos i read books to enhance my understanding...and i believe u do too..paul understood by books..daniel also jus to mention a few..and as for zikky he is sounding logical in order to win an argument..not teachin in love..and dat to me is unchristian attitude cos he has recieved d praise of men..sorry, as far as am concerned tithing is scriptural and God validates it..end of story

Zikky is not taking praise from men. He teaches the truth of God's word and consistency is the bedrock for any sound teaching. You should know that not everything in the bible is for Christians just because it is written therein. The bible is written to 2 major groups but subsequently three. We are under a better covenant and our high priest don't demand tithe in order to bless us or as a per-requisite to bless us. When you understand this truth, you are free for you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. God bless you.

Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 04, 2012
@Ranchowner..God bless u jare! Atleast i got one or two sound teachings from ur post..dats how a christain attitude should be..not castigating and antagonisin sumone even going as far as using abusive words on my pastor in order to win an argument, just becos i dont hold ur views concerning tithing..dats very unchristian attitude i tell you.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:21pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Okay. No vex. I apologize on behalf of Zikky, you hear....we are all humans.....but make you leaf this tithing for Christians alone.....it is not a sound doctrine, that's if you have really learnt one or two sound doctrine from RanchOwner..... cheesy. (No mind my yeye o, sometimes I can be a naughty boy you know) God bless you bro. Love you bro!
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by RanchOwner: 6:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360:

Zikky is not taking praise from men. He teaches the truth of God's word and consistency is the bedrock for any sound teaching. You should know that not everything in the bible is for Christians just because it is written therein. The bible is written to 2 major groups but subsequently three. We are under a better covenant and our high priest don't demand tithe in order to bless us or as a per-requisite to bless us. When you understand this truth, you are free for you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. God bless you.

I like the diagramatic explanation.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:36pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ I used it to illustrate my teaching and exposition at the beginning but many missed it. Since I understand that faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word.....I brought it up again. As people keep hearing and hearing, faith will be formed in them as much as we don't stop speaking the word. Thanks for your great contribution. It suddenly changed the tune of this exposition and thread. God bless you brother!
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360:

sorry, i disagree on this one:All Scriptures is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works.(1tim3:16-17).
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 6:48pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Yes, All scripture is given by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.....Does that mean "All Scriptures" MUST be obeyed and followed
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^ Okay. No vex. I apologize on behalf of Zikky, you hear....we are all humans.....but make you leaf this tithing for Christians alone.....it is not a sound doctrine, that's if you have really learnt one or two sound doctrine from RanchOwner..... cheesy. (No mind my yeye o, sometimes I can be a naughty boy you know) God bless you bro. Love you bro!
bro.goshen u funny.u still don't get it do you...Jesus never condemn tithing even ranchowner agrees with that.paul encourages believrs to give..and i am starting my own wit 10% even if i call am tithe e no bad.lol
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^ Yes, All scripture is given by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.....Does that mean "All Scriptures" MUST be obeyed and followed
As long as it is profitable for correction and instruction to righteousness why not.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Goshen360(m): 7:05pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: As long as it is profitable for correction and instruction to righteousness why not.

I guess this will also make a perfect instruction, correction unto righteousness since it's also part of the "All Scriptures"......take a look:

22 You shall surely tithe all the yield of your seed produced by your field each year.

23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God in the place in which He will cause His Name [and Presence] to dwell the tithe (tenth) of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstlings of your herd and your flock, that you may learn [reverently] to fear the Lord your God always.

24 And if the distance is too long for you to carry your tithe, or the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His Name [and Presence] is too far away for you, when the Lord your God has blessed you,

25 Then you shall turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and shall go to the place [of worship] which the Lord your God has chosen.

26 And you may spend that money for whatever your appetite craves, for oxen, or sheep, or new wine or strong[er] drink, or whatever you desire; and you shall eat there before the Lord your God and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

27 And you shall not forsake or neglect the Levite [God’s minister] in your towns, for he has been given no share or inheritance with you.

28 At the end of every three years you shall bring forth all the tithe of your increase the same year and lay it up within your towns.

29 And the Levite [because he has no part or inheritance with you] and the stranger or temporary resident, and the fatherless and the widow who are in your towns shall come and eat and be satisfied, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do. - Deuteronomy 14, Amplified Bible (AMP)

You know this is also an instruction unto righteousness......... grin
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by ijawkid(m): 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: As long as it is profitable for correction and instruction to righteousness why not.

And as long as it can be used to milk the gullible dry.........

Oboy its high time you forfeit this tithing issue........no early christian engaged in it.........

We are gentiles for Christ sake.......

Leave tithing for the natural Jews......

Abi you be natural JEW??..........
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 9:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam:
Yes i said so backing it with scriptural quotations..If God know show u something zikky no argue blindly..calling my pastor(Jesus) crooked does show d side u belong..u be d judge not me.

Is your pastor crooked? You decide. I can't confirm if he is, the reason I said 'probably crooked'. Don't see why you are bothered.

Bidam:
Mayb melchizedek went by whirlwind to heaven with the tithes..

Lol! grin

Bidam:
Remember i asked u WHO IS YOUR FATHER? answer my queshion and stop being self righteous and hypocritical.

It depends. Don't really understand your question. Are you referring to my biological parents?
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by truthislight: 9:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
Image123: @zikky

You've asked more than one question, even if i answered this one, you'd ask three more. i'm not under a debt to answer your every question. i'm answering your questions in order of relevance to the points being discussed, so that you see the real issues instead of gallivanting around aimlessly. BTW, the goal of the law, which is love, is achieved by anyone who adheres to it. Love has not passed away.1Corinth 13.

i retain that they should be. if you agree to tithes and offerings, fine, very fine. Pastors are maintained with tithes and offerings today. there are different types of offerings. If you feel like giving your own pastor food, crops and animals, go ahead. they'll do with it, what they know is best. your own na to bring the animal. A giver like you, i expect cow, goats, fat chicken and turkey aplenty. It's very good and welcome.

1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

CEV

1Co 9:13 Don't you know that people who work in the temple make their living from what is brought to the temple? Don't you know that a person who serves at the altar is given part of what is offered?
1Co 9:14 In the same way, the Lord wants everyone who preaches the good news to make a living from preaching this message.

You are proving lazy and dishonest. i don't do online dictionaries and thesaurus as i have one. But i'll oblige you with the microsoft on my system. Merriem Webster is also similar.

in·come [ín kùm]
(plural in·comes)
noun
1. money received over period: the amount of money received over a period of time either as payment for work, goods, or services, or as profit on capital
2. inflow: an act of coming in or flowing in

Thesaurus: profits, proceeds, returns, revenue, earnings, wages, pay, salary, take-home pay, takings
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

har·vest [hrvəst]
noun (plural har·vests)
1. quantity of crop: the quantity of a crop that is gathered or ripens during a season

Thesaurus: crop, yield, produce, return, fruitage, ingathering
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

yield [yeeld]
verb (past and past participle yield·ed, present participle yield·ing, 3rd person present singular yields)
1. transitive verb produce something: to produce something naturally or as a result of cultivation

Thesaurus: harvest, crop, produce, vintage, profit, earnings, INCOME, revenue, return

Neither were they fasting or praying to God.

Wrong, Acts 15 provides details of the aspect of the law of Moses they were required to comply with. Fortunately for us, the laws of God are not limited to the law of Moses. Tithing was BEFORE Moses' grandfather!

The bolded is right and is what i've been saying for about 12pages, except you mistakenly wrote this.

You make it sound so cool, establishing, declared, defined, mandated, bla bla. All na grammar. Every Bible student knows when God was specific and detailed in the law. Compare the issues of making the tabernacle, or of cleansing, or of sacrifices, with what you're saying of tithes. There is no such detail and definition given. It simply states that the tithe is holy to God.

Lev 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

Lev 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

It's not limiting it or defining it or establishing it. The focus is that tithes belong to God. In other places, it mentioned of some tithe that belong to widows and levites. Take the scriptures cumulatively not in some regimented isolation nobody demanded of you.

selective reading yet again. paul never gave a reason for not collecting tithes or for collecting tithes. i thought you loved to argue that Paul did not talk about tithes? suddenly you know the reason why Paul did not collect what he did not talk about? i didn't say tithe is any key to wealth, dunno why you're devilishly trying to push that on me. Paul didn't 'burden' people but could have. He had the power to, it was his personal decision as shown here.
1Co 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
1Co 9:12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

On the basis that they were mindful of the words of the holy prophets. Words like Malachi 3 and co. grin grin
The gentiles gave more than 10%. they didn't need to be taught giving. Many of them gave their all. The early christians were serious and practical. Today, we have little of their type left, people need to be taught to give. You don't teach alphabets to an O'levels student. Why should they be taught on 10% when they had given their all and were ready to give their eyes? Its unlike many of the wishy washy folks today, who are still asking if it is reading the Bible is necessary or not.

why are you defining income instead of defining harvest?

You are supposed to define "harvest" = income.

You are a afraud that wants to gain riches through the gospel.

This by exploiting others.

Your love for God can not take your making sacrifices but you must get back riches other wise no. And this through tith.

The apostles died for christ dont forget.

Greed.
I hope that you live forever with your exploit.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 9:32pm On Dec 04, 2012
Image123: thank you.

This is all you have to say? After all your 'gra-gra' grin when you were shouting "count me in Gosh, count me in" I was thinking Goshen was in serious trouble. You dey fall my hand grin
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Enigma(m): 9:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
Zikkyy:

This is all you have to say? After all your 'gra-gra' grin when you were shouting "count me in Gosh, count me in" I was thinking Goshen was in serious trouble. You dey fall my hand grin

You mean to say he was gragravating the matter? wink

cool
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 10:06pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam:
..and as for zikky he is sounding logical in order to win an argument..not teachin in love..and dat to me is unchristian attitude cos he has recieved d praise of men.

What do you mean am sounding logical? How do you want me to interpret the things I read? Do you reason with your head or with your stomach? If you know me Bidam, you will know I don't really come out here to win anything. Am usually here to state my point of view on any issue that has to do with interpretation of the bible and have fun at the same time. I don't care about your personal tithing practice, I live in a house with very close family members tithing. I don't do anything to discourage them just as long as nobody misinterpret the scriptures to justify their practice. I do my part to ensure our giving is done out love, not greed, fear or desperation. That's all I care about. I see 'tithing' as an act not different from any other form of giving and I believe it should be based on personal conviction. Every giving is a % of something irrespective of the name given to it.

I am sorry if you feel am not teaching in love. This is not a class and I do believe you are un-teachable. Most tithers are, so why waste my time.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 10:08pm On Dec 04, 2012
Enigma:

You mean to say he was gragravating the matter? wink

cool

Lol! grin Yes ooh! grin
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 10:24pm On Dec 04, 2012
Bidam: @Ranchowner..God bless u jare! Atleast i got one or two sound teachings from ur post..dats how a christain attitude should be..not castigating and antagonisin sumone even going as far as using abusive words on my pastor in order to win an argument, just becos i dont hold ur views concerning tithing..dats very unchristian attitude i tell you.

I was going to apologize, but you sound like a pastor worshipper, so no need.

To be honest, if your post/views reflects the opinion of your pastor, I can say your pastor is either ignorant or he is a fraudster.
Re: Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. by Zikkyy(m): 10:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360:
(No mind my yeye o, sometimes I can be a naughty boy you know) God bless you bro. Love you bro!

I think Bidam is a she. Talks & react like one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Archbishop Martins Speaks On #EndSARS / Bishop David & Faith Oyedepo Celebrate 35th Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / The Creation- How Compelling Is The Christian Narative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.