Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,742 members, 7,831,369 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. (11844 Views)

Anja Ringgren-Lovén Rescuing Nigerian Children From ‘witchcraft' / Can You Stay A Day Without Speaking Pidgin? / Is It Possible To Use "Is" Or "It" When Speaking Vernacular? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 4:29pm On Nov 22, 2012
charlsecy4:

[size=14]Who unchained you, you foolish fool?[/size]
mumu, look at ur english and clap 4 ur self, i guess it's this kind of english u teach to ur innocent children. Ozu nwuru anwụ na aga ije.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Anvaller: 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2012
[b]Ppl are just ignorant. Many Nigerian youth that speaks horrible English these days were brought up speaking English only by their parents. The question is why is there English still bad in spite of their parents' effort?

The quality of ur spoken English depends on the source u are learning it from. That means the quality of English you would speak is a measure of the quality spoken to you by your parents as you grow up. Little children tend to think that their parents' action is the most perfect and so they follow it. That is the reason why there are many "Nigerian English" grammar and expressions passed from parents to children.

If a child is properly educated, they can learn several languages at the same time. The scenario is confirmed in Europe from children out of cross country marriages. A child from German and Spanish parents for example would speak both languages perfectly and most likely would also speak English if 1) The child lived in an English speaking environment while growing up and 2)If the child is educated up to University level.

So I don't understand what is our problem in Nigeria, we are not always getting things right.[/b]
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Luxythere: 4:36pm On Nov 22, 2012
calcal: In some states in the Yankee one can use Yoruba and Igbo language to conduct business at the drivers license center. I just don't know why they allow it when the same people are self killing their own language.

Yankee is too far....Google ng uses all 3 Nigerian Language.

Only inferiority complex and the inability to think in-depth will make someone not teach their kids their own language.

Some NIG schools now teach mandarin / Chinese language, the indians at work will speak their language at the tinyiest opportunity and wear their saris too and look at those countries becoming world power. In the USA they rarely show news from other parts of the world ....they are today's world power.

If people look down on us and treat our stuff as inferior must we do the same. Know that Adebowale can never become a King in England and will never speak English better that Brian. Bowale's power is his pride in his identity this is where he draws his strength from.No wonder the Indians and Chinese are taken over and spreading themselves. Bread and butter comes from knowing and being who you are not copying others.

Mo wi fun yii to

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by charlsecy4(m): 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
Mgbadike80: mumu, look at ur english and clap 4 ur self.

Silly fowl. It's called cognate use. Go and learn, unwise rat! Correct or not, your pitiable condition requires that.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by seunajia: 4:47pm On Nov 22, 2012
charlsecy4:

[size=14]I think you need updating your vocabulary. English is vernacular to, for example, Bill Clinton. Vernacular is your local language, mother tongue, for your information.[/size]

^^ See person wey dey correct another man o grin what is this you spark? lol

Vernacular is the native speech or language of a place.

With the above definition, it's safe to call our indigenous languages vernacular. This also implies that English Language is vernacular to the English, Yes? And that Mandarin is vernacular to the Chinese too!

OP

Parents should encourage their children/wards to speak both languages and endeavor to Correct them when they make mistakes. Wole Soyinka is a nobel laureate and he speaks impeccable Yoruba.

One thing though, code-switching should be discouraged. You either speak the native language purely or English.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by mrrock: 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
The adoption of English and French language in Africa is the reason Africa is not doing well economically. You may not believe it but it's true.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by cecegorz(m): 5:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
category: My boy is just 3.
I always speak Afemai/Etsako to him
but he never speaks it nor mutter a word in it.
He is so used to speaking English (the language he first heard from his mum).
Its so so disturbing to me...
na wetin i go do dis bouy na
You are doing well already.
In language learning, you start off understanding, then you start forming your own sentences.
Just keep on communicating, before long, he will start speaking. it's a gradual thing.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by try69: 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
Still repping WARRI!
One day pidgin will be legalized
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
I spokA English and Pidgin and Yoruba and Hausa. grin
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by ejifranks(m): 6:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
intrepid: Is it right or wrong to speak English to the kids at home and not teach or speak their native language to them?what are the merits and demerits?
very very wrong....I believe our native tongues was given to us for a reason and no other language can be more important than it....speak to and teach your children your native tongue and also the official linqua franca simultaneously...That makes them real and complete individuals smiley smiley
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 6:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
seunajia:

^^ See person wey dey correct another man o grin what is this you spark? lol

Vernacular is the native speech or language of a place.

With the above definition, it's safe to call our indigenous languages vernacular. This also implies that English Language is vernacular to the English, Yes? And that Mandarin is vernacular to the Chinese too!
don't mind d mumu with an IQ of less than 69.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by elopee3000(m): 6:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
if some family like let them teach thier children afganistan language na thier cup of tea , anybody that dosnt no how to speak his mother tongue is permanentry slave to a white man,why blacks in america re angry cus they lost thier african root we in nigeria a forcing our self to be a slave ,
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Builder: 6:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
searay2: We in Akwa Ibom here we speak english pass england sef

with chinese accent

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by tinkinjo: 6:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
I hate that word! It has huge colonial undertone...What is vernacular? A friend once protested to a prefect in secondary school days "I don't speak vernacular, I speak Annang!" It soon became a rhyme for those who were caught breaking the "only English rule".

...Such supremacist colonial words should be ostracized. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss! angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by AkoEja: 6:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
Studies have shown that speaking more than one language can be advantageous to the understanding of both languages. You can bring in what you know in one language into the other to enhance it. Language is tied to culture; the knowledge of one language, and hence culture can make a child produce better stories in an essay test for example. The UN secretary general, Mr Kofi Annan, can speak several other languages apart from his native tongue and English, which he obviously speak very fluently.

I speak the language fluently and I also speak English very well. In fact, I studied Yoruba at school certificate level. I also read it lot of Yoruba books in addition to English books. I find that I frequently use my knowledge of Yoruba to make my English essays better.

I have applied this knowledge to my children, even though they did not grow up in Nigeria, they were able to speak Yoruba fluently. They were both best in class in English and English literature.

While the word "vernacular" means your own native language, it also as a derogatory connotation as in "inferior language", [/b]and we should try not to use it to describe our own language.

The problem of self rejection is not restricted to language alone in Nigeria, especially among the Yorubas. Nigerians tend to reject everything that is native to them.
[b]
This is because of the slave mentality and inferiority complex.

3 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
charlsecy4:

[size=14]Who unchained you, you foolish fool?[/size]
are u an irland of knowledge? Castrated fool.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by bbulldog(m): 6:51pm On Nov 22, 2012
georgesylva:
I wonder o! If other natural languages are considered vanacular then what should english be considered as?
me sef tire 4 nigerians.... Wht is the essence of sending a child to school where both languages will be effectively lessoned
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by zannie(f): 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
I grew up speaking Igbo and English fluently, thanks to my dad. There's nothing more painful than seeing culture die right before you. Most kids are now 'Usu' (bats) as my dad calls them- you are not English, and u can't even speak your mother tongue. So you belong nowhere.
May God help us
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by makizee(m): 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
...I am really proud of this young generation, am a man of 89 years and am amazed most of the repondents on this thread agree that our native language must not die and you are making a concious effort of making it so, this was an oppourtunity my generation missed..God bless you all (including the atheists amongst you)
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 22, 2012
slimming: How can someone natural language become a vernacular.

LMBAO. That's the definition of vernacular. It simply means native or indigenous. It is amazing that 6 other ignoramuses agreed with you.

Once again, your vernacular language is your native language!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by gbollykore: 7:58pm On Nov 22, 2012
i live in the USA with my 3 kids, ages 7 , 5 and 2 ,they have never been to Nigeria, they understand everything in yoruba, the older two also speak yoruba, but when they get to school or go outside they speak with perfect American accent. And you find kids that have never been outside Nigeria who can not speak their native language.

i think its share inferiority complex that makes us embrace western culture over us, in the USA you see African americans wanting to do anything to identify with the African culture, some of them actually pay to learn our languages yet , we want to speak like them

it puts me off when i watch TV in Nigeria and most presenters are trying to talk with british/ American accent, please let us embrace our beautiful culture, even americans envy us, when we invite them to Nigerian parties they are amazed with the richness of our culture

Proudly Nigerian

2 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by anitank(f): 8:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
Dozieson:
tribalist! in yoruba land where i schooled, and hausa land where i served, precisely akure and jos respectively, yoruba and hausa is their lingua franca. so don't sectionize it.
i'm not a tribalist because am an igbo girl. i called Enugu particularly because i grew up there and i know exactly what i am talking about. How many of those your Yoruba and Hausa peeps who live in core yoruba and hausa lands speak English fluently??
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2012
Our mother tongue is in extinction because every body is trying to speak borrowed language and speak it perfectly but no body cares about speaking her mother tongue perfectly. Our mother tongue is in extinction because every body is trying to speak borrowed language and speak it perfectly but no body cares about speaking her mother tongue perfectly. Our mother tongue is in extinction because every body is trying to speak borrowed language and speak it perfectly but no body cares about speaking her mother tongue perfectly.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Karleb(m): 8:12pm On Nov 22, 2012
Well as for me i think there is nothing 2 bad in speaking english and also vernacular(which is ur native languge) but wha suprises me most is dat most pple tends 2 mingle d 2 languages 2gether which is not suppose 2 b so i think it's high time we start thinking about d future generation.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by anitank(f): 8:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
Mgbadike80: so all the ppl that their parents spoke igbo to, while growing up can't make a correct sentence in english? No wonder UNICEF have long declared igbo an endangered language.
i dont know about our parents because i didnt grow up with them. But have you interacted with some graduates from one of the universities in Enugu who was actually born and brought up there? U'd weep at the kind of sentences they proudly make. One of them was recently rejected from a school he was posted for his NYSC because he couldnt read and write English language, can u beat that? A thread was actually opened for that issue right here on NL
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by intrepid: 8:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
2nedo: I wonder ooo
ok we have heard you all: LOCAL LANGUAGE,NATIVE LANGUAGE,MOTHER TONGUE.,NATIVE TONGUE...Oya make your own meaningful contributions to the topic.Thank you.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by tinkinjo: 8:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
omo_to_dun:

LMBAO. That's the definition of vernacular. It simply means native or indigenous. It is amazing that 6 other ignoramuses agreed with you.

Once again, your vernacular language is your native language!

That's not the point. It's rather that the Brits will never in their miserable lives refer to the French or Spanish as speaking vernacular. It's only a language such as yours - Yoruba - that they'll term vernacular.

As stated earlier, it,s the connotation. I repeat this word should be skipped. Pleeessssssssssss!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by intrepid: 8:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
gbollykore: i live in the USA with my 3 kids, ages 7 , 5 and 2 ,they have never been to Nigeria, they understand everything in yoruba, the older two also speak yoruba, but when they get to school or go outside they speak with perfect American accent. And you find kids that have never been outside Nigeria who can not speak their native language.

i think its share inferiority complex that makes us embrace western culture over us, in the USA you see African americans wanting to do anything to identify with the African culture, some of them actually pay to learn our languages yet , we want to speak like them

it puts me off when i watch TV in Nigeria and most presenters are trying to talk with british/ American accent, please let us embrace our beautiful culture, even americans envy us, when we invite them to Nigerian parties they are amazed with the richness of our culture

Proudly Nigerian
Thank you my bro for this.Abeg tell them o.The funny thing is that some of these parents even speak such bad English and this is wat they teach their children.the result is that We now have more and more ppl who cannot defend themselves well in their local language and cannot also speak English well.We see this everyday...you need to hear wat some ppl speak here as English!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
tinkinjo:

That's not the point. It's rather that the Brits will never in their miserable lives refer to the French or Spanish as speaking vernacular. It's only a language such as yours - Yoruba - that they'll term vernacular.

As stated earlier, it,s the connotation. I repeat this word should be skipped. Pleeessssssssssss!

As for the connotation, it is Nigerians who use the word disparagingly. And does anyone see the irony in this discourse? We are all conversing using the English Language in order to buttress our points. Let's face it: English is our primary language. Our native languages have taken a back seat.

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by tinkinjo: 9:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
omo_to_dun:

As for the connotation, it is Nigerians who use the word disparagingly. And does anyone see the irony in this discourse? We are all conversing using the English Language in order to buttress our points. Let's face it: English is our primary language. Our native languages have taken a back seat.

It's certainly not in dispute that our languages (native) have taken a back seat. And don't blame us Nigerians 'cos the Brits would've put it differently like Yoruba Language same as English Language in our schools back then as it is now instead of vernacular.

The 'trash' I'm really writing is why coin a word - vernacular and only use it for languages native to other people yet refuse to use it to describe your own - English which is also native to you.

If I may add, consider yourself saying: "I like your vernacular" to an Englishman!...trust me that word was used in derision to our languages
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by othenok(f): 9:48pm On Nov 22, 2012
[quote author=anitank]
@ anitank
I beg to differ. I grew up in the east, Enugu to be specific. My parents never spoke a word of English to us. Prayers and conversation between each other were in our dialect. One obvious thing was our parents had a special love for reading and encouraged us to be voracious readers. I tell you between all the kids none made below C5 in English.
Now as a mother living in Lagos, i speak mostly my native dialect with my hubby and kids. I don't have any regret.
The so-called English you claim to be spoken in the West as far as am concern is trashy and terrible most of the speakers have major trouble even writing what they speak.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mogidi: 10:59pm On Nov 22, 2012
Why can't we replace English with WAZOBIA?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairalander Caught With Her Knicker's Down (pic) 18 / Nairaland Versus Facebook / The Best Way To Win Goal Goal On Betpawa Virtual Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.