Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. (11841 Views)

Anja Ringgren-Lovén Rescuing Nigerian Children From ‘witchcraft' / Can You Stay A Day Without Speaking Pidgin? / Is It Possible To Use "Is" Or "It" When Speaking Vernacular? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by seanet01: 11:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
intrepid: Many Nigerian parents do not speak their local language to their children.This was not so some decades back and the children born in those days still grew up to become some of the most fluent and eloquent men and women we have today....I Also noticed some of the "misyans" in English sometimes from some of these English-speaking parents and they pass it on also to the kids who will reproduce same....Is it right or wrong to speak English to the kids at home and not teach or speak their native language to them?what are the merits and demerits?
The most disastrous thing to happen to somebody is to forget his root. I will never teach my kid not to speak in Yoruba. Infact it is Yoruba first before any Language. To hell with English language
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Shugamania(f): 11:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Thank heavens i'm not the only one unhappy with this trend.
Please, teach your kids your native language at home and leave the English to the teachers at school. Isnt that a part of the education u're paying for?
At least that's what my parents did and i can read, write and speak both languages perfectly.... Ok, nobody's perfect, but i still dey try..
Truth is, those kids wont be grateful to you in future...
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 11:39pm On Nov 22, 2012
anitank:
i dont know about our parents because i didnt grow up with them. But have you interacted with some graduates from one of the universities in Enugu who was actually born and brought up there? U'd weep at the kind of sentences they proudly make. One of them was recently rejected from a school he was posted for his NYSC because he couldnt read and write English language, can u beat that? A thread was actually opened for that issue right here on NL
i'm feeling too sleepy right now to answer u, d rejected coppers did not pass through the walls of a university. They bought fake certificates. Most folks that were brought up in lagos speaks very bad english.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by lanrefront1(m): 7:19am On Nov 23, 2012
It is a really sad development.

It is what is done all over now; even among the lower class. You even see parents whose English are not that good speaking only English to their child.

There is funny thing if you care to observe: you see a parent receive some guest and starts speaking native language with the man, but if during the conversation he has to speak to his child or send him or her an errand, he switches to English.

It is very pathetic really.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 23, 2012
I live in Dublin,but they will always encourage you to teach your child your native language,to give your child your native food etc..my 3 kids bears igbo names,I speak it to them,I use naija pidgin at home and at work with my naija and other west African colleagues..and you know what?,the white man/woman likes the sound of our broken English and wants to learn it..thats my childrens identity and will not take it away from them!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Hardfact: 8:13am On Nov 23, 2012
It's up to us whatever we want to do with our core identity. If we so wish, we may not only forbid our mother tongues, but also reject our native names, tribes, place of origin, cultures, and so on all in a bid to be more 'civilised', liberal, educated, and all what nots. In fact maybe it was a fatal error
that we are even Nigerians?

. . .It's rather pathetic. No wonder they have always maintained that a lot is definitely wrong with the black man.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Onyenna(m): 8:18am On Nov 23, 2012
degamonn: Good topic! Keep the discussion going. As for me, I must teach my children IGEDE!

Igede! U are from Benue....I'm currently serving in Ohimini(Idekpa LGA, otukpo zone)...I can now speak Idoma a lil bit...

@OP....it's like a taboo for parents to keep their Children From Speaking Vernacular.
There is this family friend of mine who married a spanish woman...he came back last december with his wife and 2 kids for the first time in almost 15years and guess what, his kids and wife were able to speak a lil bit of IGBO....we couldn't believe our ears @ first..his wife and kids have never been to 9ja before.....we were all Shocked!!..He taught them Igbo language....
I enjoy learning other languages...I'm a proud IGBO man and my children MUST speak IGBO....Period...
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Onyenna(m): 8:18am On Nov 23, 2012
degamonn: Good topic! Keep the discussion going. As for me, I must teach my children IGEDE!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 23, 2012
I think we should all learn and adopt pidgin English as an official language...white people really envy that when we speak it..they know its English but they can't decode..see Jamaicans speak na u go dey jealous I swear and they are so proud unlike Nigerians who speak rotten English everyday...learn ur native tongue then pidgin before English...I no send biko!!!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by mu2sa2: 8:45am On Nov 23, 2012
anitank: MY VIEW: if u live in the western part of the country or other regions with mixed tribes where English language is constantly spoken, then there is a need for you to teach ur kids their native language because they will definitely learn how to speak english when they grow.

But if you're bringing up ur kids in the eastern part of the country like Enugu where everybody speaks vernacular (igbo precisely) without minding wether you understand them or not, then you definitely have to groom them with english otherwise they'll end up growing up not knowing how to make a correct sentence in English language.
U are mistaken. It's been confirmed by experts that a child has the capacity to learn five languages simultaneously without mixing them up.this ability is however lost after the age of five.So there is no reason to deny your kids the ability to be multi-lingual- speak your local language as well as English and any other language with them.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by nonylove: 8:52am On Nov 23, 2012

are you from IGEDE?
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by HerexG(m): 9:46am On Nov 23, 2012
I wept inside of me the day i heard Lagos state government wants to include Chinese language to the school subject plan. Why does Africa loves settling for mediocrity ? How does our African culture patterns to the Chinese ? Our children cannot write a complete letter with our native language and they are here stocking our kids with foreign languages.
Instead of them to work more on improving our native languages, so our kids will know the true value of our culture. These will also attract other nations to study our native languages in their various countries.

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by DECOtech(m): 10:27am On Nov 23, 2012
What is VEENACULAR angry angry angry
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by DECOtech(m): 10:28am On Nov 23, 2012
What is VERNACULAR angry angry angry
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Shine1177: 2:26pm On Nov 23, 2012
Please speak your native language to your child it never a vernacular English is the original vernacular (strange).
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by simdam500(m): 4:25pm On Nov 23, 2012
ENGLISH is called a Linguafranca. It best u ave an alternate. Anyway avin an alternate does not pay any token to my acct, so i beta stick wit english alone
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 23, 2012
Interesting post. I could have passed as the original poster only that I won't call mother tongues vernacular.
As someone earlier pointed out, it's a colonial mentality plus inferiority complex. What these parents who wants their children to speak English more than the Queen fail to realise is that the kids are still exposed to the local heavily accented English we speak in this part of the world. The result is disastrous, a child who can not express him/herself in good English who can not also speak the mother tongue, a double loss.
On the other hand, a child who has mastered the mother tongue has basis for comparison and will have a rich vocabulary to express him or herself either directly or by interpreting the words. Hence you see lots of Proverbs and adage in literature works of African writers. What they do is first express themselves in mother tongue and interpret.
The question we should ask this parents who wants their children to speak English only is this: Can your kids be whiter than the white? do u regret your own childhood and have you not noticed you can speak better English than your "English" kids?
My aunt often tell us to speak in English only to her kids I was surprised when she brought them hone recently and was forcing Yoruba on them, thank God it's not too late for them but the last time I checked, you speak Yoruba to them they'll respond in "English". English in quote because that is even no English.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Ugo17: 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2012
anitank: MY VIEW: if u live in the western part of the country or other regions with mixed tribes where English language is constantly spoken, then there is a need for you to teach ur kids their native language because they will definitely learn how to speak english when they grow.

But if you're bringing up ur kids in the eastern part of the country like Enugu where everybody speaks vernacular (igbo precisely) without minding wether you understand them or not, then you definitely have to groom them with english otherwise they'll end up growing up not knowing how to make a correct sentence in English language.

I COULD NOT HELP BUT LOL @ "But if you're bringing up ur kids in the eastern part of the country like Enugu where everybody speaks vernacular (igbo precisely) without minding wether you understand them or not, then you definitely have to groom them with english otherwise they'll end up growing up not knowing how to make a correct sentence in English language." grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Mudus/kongos Are There In A 50kg Bag Of Flour? / Nairalander Caught With Her Knicker's Down (pic) 18 / Nairaland Versus Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.