Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. (11817 Views)

Anja Ringgren-Lovén Rescuing Nigerian Children From ‘witchcraft' / Can You Stay A Day Without Speaking Pidgin? / Is It Possible To Use "Is" Or "It" When Speaking Vernacular? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by intrepid: 8:15pm On Nov 21, 2012
Many Nigerian parents do not speak their local language to their children.This was not so some decades back and the children born in those days still grew up to become some of the most fluent and eloquent men and women we have today....I Also noticed some of the "misyans" in English sometimes from some of these English-speaking parents and they pass it on also to the kids who will reproduce same....Is it right or wrong to speak English to the kids at home and not teach or speak their native language to them?what are the merits and demerits?

3 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by 19naia(m): 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
in some parts of the world where natives were colonized and forbid to speak their own language by missionaries,today they spend many millions of dollars to make education programs to teach the new generation to speak the native tounge,because the language is not used any more publicly other than in books,students and a very very tiny few elders when they get together and talk old times.....This is true in Hawaii which is now a state in united states since 1952 or was it 1948?? Any way many of the young hawaiians dont speak english very well and use their own form of pidgin...one would think its because they come from speaking their own native toungue,but the truth i sad that they know little of their own native language and speak only their own form of english/pidgin..They get lower grades in school because of this....THE GOVERNMENT HAS EXTENSIVE PROGRAMS AND BUDGET TO SAVE THE HAWAII LANGUAGE AS IT HAS BEEN DECLARED AS ENDANGERED:SOME NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGES HAVE GONE EXTINCT OTHER THAN A FEW BOOKS CATALOGUEING THE LANGUAGE IN THE "=TH CENTURY

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Callotti: 9:17pm On Nov 21, 2012
Coming from a 'tri-lingual' home. . . you do not expect me to speak all 3 languages do you?
Like I plan to use them as a diplomat in the UN or something?
Will it put food on my table?
Nothing wrong with vernacular. . .
YOU SPEAK WHAT EVER LANGUAGE BRINGS YOU SUCCESS. . . AND GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT.

ENGLISH! kiss
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by anitank(f): 9:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
MY VIEW: if u live in the western part of the country or other regions with mixed tribes where English language is constantly spoken, then there is a need for you to teach ur kids their native language because they will definitely learn how to speak english when they grow.

But if you're bringing up ur kids in the eastern part of the country like Enugu where everybody speaks vernacular (igbo precisely) without minding wether you understand them or not, then you definitely have to groom them with english otherwise they'll end up growing up not knowing how to make a correct sentence in English language.

10 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by slimming: 2:51pm On Nov 22, 2012
How can someone natural language become a vernacular.

12 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 2:51pm On Nov 22, 2012
anitank: MY VIEW: if u live in the western part of the country or other regions with mixed tribes where English language is constantly spoken, then there is a need for you to teach ur kids their native language because they will definitely learn how to speak english when they grow.

But if you're bringing up ur kids in the eastern part of the country like Enugu where everybody speaks vernacular (igbo precisely) without minding wether you understand them or not, then you definitely have to groom them with english otherwise they'll end up growing up not knowing how to make a correct sentence in English language.
so all the ppl that their parents spoke igbo to, while growing up can't make a correct sentence in english? No wonder UNICEF have long declared igbo an endangered language.

6 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by calcal: 2:55pm On Nov 22, 2012
In some states in the Yankee one can use Yoruba and Igbo language to conduct business at the drivers license center. I just don't know why they allow it when the same people are self killing their own language.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by georgesylva(m): 3:02pm On Nov 22, 2012
slimming: How can someone natural language become a vernacular.
I wonder o! If other natural languages are considered vanacular then what should english be considered as?

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Itoroetti(m): 3:05pm On Nov 22, 2012
I'm happy for this topic.i want to regard this act by parent as an act of ignorance,stupidity and lack of Identity.Are they telling me that people like chinua Achebe,Soyinka,etc whose attainment in english language was due to their parent enforcing it on them?little children no longer speaks their dialect because their parent makes them feel it is a taboo.that's why people no longer answer their beautiful local names,rather u hear names Like scholastica,blair,bush,linda,washington,eugene,etc.most of them don't even know the meaning of the name before 'awarding' it to their kids.i weep for nigeria.i weep for africa.i weep for blackman's mentality.

7 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by OkwaIfugo(m): 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
that's bad.
our children should always learn to speak their mother tongue.

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by FlamingGun: 3:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
Na wetin be "vernacular"

Your kids should speak your language or the language(s) of the community they live in. Language is life. It is the height of ignorance when parents ban their kids from speaking the "mother tongue" or the local language of the community in which the family lives. Such children end up stultified in many ways.

FG
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Clerverly: 3:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
Plain inferiority complex! In my house, it is forbidden for any member of the family to interact with another in any other language except our local dialect while at home. You can do that in school or anywhere but once you are home, you must switch. Personally i learnt this little grammer i am managing in order to conduct my business outside my location, other than that it is my sweet Igbo Language any day. I learn other people's language just for fun including this (onitsha English i dey yan) here. kiss

10 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by muyik78(m): 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
Its common practice here in the south, i mean both Igbos and yorubas alike,but wait, the way we were taught is even wrong I mean calling our own mother land Language Vernacular, the initiator whould have said ,native language.An Hausa man we never allow that to happen.
I strongly believe its a raging epidemics that is affecting us, I am sw man, can not pray very well in my native language, i do i correct my children to do so?In own of the British School i know, A yoruba Teacher was employed to teach them sound yoruba Language,I aws suprise when i saw what the guy was teching them,. i means it lack substance. it made me sick.Our language is a dying one n there is a need for us to have change of heart.
My own submission is that its better to let our children learn as many language as u know, let them know as a matter of fact the own that is their mother tongues, scientifically such children will be intelligent that the one we restrict to English alone.
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by degamonn: 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
Good topic! Keep the discussion going. As for me, I must teach my children IGEDE!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by 2nedo(m): 3:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
I wonder ooo
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Super1759: 3:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
one of my uncles living in the states. one christmas, came home with his children( first time ever). The children turned us into a laughing stock when they hear us speak "igbo", that the language Is so awkward.
My uncle saw this coming and sent them back to nigeria,after the christmas. He got them good schools. After their secondary school,@least they were able to hear and mutter some statements before going bk to states for university. I think parents should look into this

2 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Dozieson(m): 3:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
anitank: MY VIEW: if u live in the western part of the country or other regions with mixed tribes where English language is constantly spoken, then there is a need for you to teach ur kids their native language because they will definitely learn how to speak english when they grow.

tribalist! in yoruba land where i schooled, and hausa land where i served, precisely akure and jos respectively, yoruba and hausa is their lingua franca. so don't sectionize it.

5 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 3:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
I wonder if chinua achebe and soyinka would have been good writers if they haven't learnt their mother tongue. What about most of our movie stars and musicians? D blackman is his own biggest enemy.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 3:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
Dozieson:
tribalist! in yoruba land where i schooled, and hausa land where i served, precisely akure and jos respectively, yoruba and hausa is their lingua franca. so don't sectionize it.
don't mind the mumu
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by ebamma3: 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
gbagaun warlord long time no see Thank God you are back
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 22, 2012
How can your language be labelled as; vernacular? - that's slave mentality...

It's funny how you meet Nigerians who can't speak English properly, yet they can't speak their native language as well...

Shyte that makes you wonder and shake your head in disgust... undecided

5 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Dignitygab(m): 3:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
nothing is bad about vernacular
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Dignitygab(m): 3:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
Dignitygab: nothing is bad about vernacular
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Ugosample(m): 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2012
In my own opinion, i don't think that native languages in Nigeria because apart from the major cities, other parts of Nigeria especially villages speak their own native languages!
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 3:52pm On Nov 22, 2012
D most annoying part is that d mumu parents often speak horrible english and pass it on to the innocent children.

5 Likes

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by charlsecy4(m): 3:55pm On Nov 22, 2012
georgesylva: I wonder o! If other natural languages are considered vanacular then what should english be considered as?

[size=14]I think you need updating your vocabulary. English is vernacular to, for example, Bill Clinton. Vernacular is your local language, mother tongue, for your information.[/size]
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by category(m): 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
My boy is just 3.
I always speak Afemai/Etsako to him
but he never speaks it nor mutter a word in it.
He is so used to speaking English (the language he first heard from his mum).
Its so so disturbing to me...
na wetin i go do dis bouy na
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by searay2(m): 4:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
We in Akwa Ibom here we speak english pass england sef
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Mgbadike80: 4:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
charlsecy4:

[size=14]I think you need updating your vocabulary. English is vernacular to, for example, Bill Clinton. Vernacular is your local language, mother tongue, for your information.[/size]
mumu, can't u inform them without sounding so insultive? Ur another cultural slave who overprides himself for his mastery of the language of his colonial masters.

1 Like

Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Nezan(m): 4:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
category: My boy is just 3.
I always speak Afemai/Etsako to him
but he never speaks it nor mutter a word in it.
He is so used to speaking English (the language he first heard from his mum).
Its so so disturbing to me...
na wetin i go do dis bouy na

You need to be blending the two languages for him. My kids easily switch from English to Tiv as the condition demands without stress.
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by charlsecy4(m): 4:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Mgbadike80: mumu, can't u inform them without sounding so insultive? Ur another cultural slave who overprides himself for his mastery of the language of his colonial masters.

[size=14]Who unchained you, you foolish fool?[/size]
Re: Keeping Children From Speaking Vernacular. by Lollycutie(f): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
Callotti: Coming from a 'tri-lingual' home. . . you do not expect me to speak all 3 languages do you?
Like I plan to use them as a diplomat in the UN or something?
Will it put food on my table?
Nothing wrong with vernacular. . .
YOU SPEAK WHAT EVER LANGUAGE BRINGS YOU SUCCESS. . . AND GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT.

ENGLISH! kiss
U are a fool.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Update: Standard And Premium Nin Slip (Get Lost Nin Slip Back) / Nairaland Versus Facebook / Why French Manicures Are Still Popular Today And Maby From CEO Tran Quang Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.