Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,533 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 (21718 Views)

Describe Your Governor's Performance In 2013 In One Word? / The Best And Worst Places To Be Born In The World In 2013. / Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by AjanleKoko: 1:48pm On Nov 22, 2012
Freiburger:
Is there no reason to put end to these barbaric acts?

That's how we play sport in Africa grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Freiburger(m): 1:50pm On Nov 22, 2012
lufemi:
Wow!!! congratulation to another Nigerian with slavery mentality
I find the notion that most Nigerians living abroad are slaves very rediculous.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by yomilike(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
solomon111: Go to hell with your useless post.
Why not pray to be born in pakistan,or afghanistan.
Moronn
lol na true ooo ma broda ,dos place no b am ooo. I love my country ooo.
@ Op why not try somalia , haiti guy u will knw u are lucky to be born here
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by MacLovington(m): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
My babies will soon thank their grandmother for taking me out of that hell hole.

@I-I,

Are they already on their way, even before I pay dowry? grin tongue
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by MacLovington(m): 2:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
tpia1:

regardless the state of the educational system, fact remains nigerians from nigeria (born in nigeria) still do better overall than their foreign born/raised counterparts.

what the foreign based nigerians have to struggle with, includes being in a multiracial environment (where they're expected to be at the bottom of the racial equation), while the nigerians from home do not have to contend with that, although granted things might change with all these chinese and other stuff.

another thing nigerians overseas have to contend with, is having most other things (aside from race) very easy- this doesnt necessarily encourage strong character when it comes to stuff that matters.

Things that matter like paying bribe, looting public purse and everybody being his own local government? It's true. Most serious countries where diaspora kids are don't build such "strong" character.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
YAY! My country is number 1! :-) By the way, I'm not sure what kind of data they're using, or to which period they refer because I'm working for an NGO involved in Iraq and trust me it wouldn't be good to be born in that place: education system was destroyed, high infant mortality, low life expectancy, etc due to the UN sanctions and the US/UK invasion/occupation, so I'm pretty sure Nigeria isn't that bad!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by coogar: 3:40pm On Nov 22, 2012
MacLovington:

Things that matter like paying bribe, looting public purse and everybody being his own local government? It's true. Most serious countries where diaspora kids are don't build such "strong" character.

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by porka: 3:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
Has anyone been born in 2013 yet?

Did they consider natural and man-made disasters such as Aunti Sandy's devastation of Lower Manhattan and the Gaza bombardment when conducting their phony survey?

And what's their methodology?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by AjanleKoko: 4:07pm On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by farolee(m): 4:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
When next i am travelling out of my nija,i am going to wear a big t shirt with nigeria boldly written on it.i love my country,becos ,i don,t need visa to be here
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Gbawe: 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
The mistake some Nigerians make is thinking a negative indictment of Nigeria is a negative indictment of them personally. They are then forced into the automatic defense of Nigeria. Whatever indices/parameters were used, is it really difficult to believe Nigeria is one of the worst place a child can be born into when factually damning revelations, such as that below, speaks volume?

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/sep/13/824.html

Nigeria has second highest child, maternal mortality rates'

James Azania, Benin

With an estimated 608 deaths per 100,000 deliveries, Nigeria ranks second only to India in the list of nations with the worst child mortality.

According to Women Health and Action Research Centre, an organisation committed to the promotion of sexual and reproductive health and social well-being of women and adolescents, out of 100,000 women that enter labour rooms, 50 of them do not come out alive.

With the figure (death of 50 women), the group said Nigeria also ranked second in the global number of maternal deaths.

The Chief Executive Officer of the centre, Prof. Friday Okonofua, said at a dissemination workshop on 'Assessment of Infection Control Practices in Delivery Care Units in Edo State,' that three major factors were responsible for the high maternal mortality in Nigeria.

They are bleeding after birth, pregnancy hypertension and post-delivery infections.

He said, "Studies, including data from Edo State have shown that up to four out of 10 Nigerian women experiencing puerperal infections die from the complication.

"Besides, maternal mortality in Edo State reflects the national average. Maternal health is presently not prioritised by the state government."

According to Okonofua the "results demonstrate the lack of appropriate policies and practices relating to infection control in maternal units in Edo State, given that puerperal sepsis is the third leading cause of maternal mortality in the country."

Worried by the lack of data on maternity care and puerperal sepsis in health facilities, the centre recommended that record keeping be prioritised as an important strategy to monitor the outcomes of infection control measures.

The workshop, which had in attendance officials from the state ministry of health, women affairs, health workers from public and private health institutions, accused governments of insensitivity to the problems of women.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Lasinoh: 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2012
ukpaku: I no de understand ur language o broda.

Open your eyes. . . wink
My words are not for simple-minds.
Or for the 'politically-correct' wishy-washies on NL looking for 'like' points. . . .wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by ballabriggs: 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
See how low the Nigerian mind has gone. They benchmark themselves with mediocrity!

"What of Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan?"

Are these the countries any forward thinking people should compare themselves with? Absolutely ridiculous!

What most of you don't understand about these developed countries is that they progress because they always tell themselves there is a problem. They are never comfortable with the positions they find themselves at any point in time. They develop a questioning mindset. "Why is it done this way? How can we do it better?". Of course they could tell themselves they are better than most African countries and need not bother.

This is what we call continuous improvement. It is done by 'problem-solvers'. It is a hallmark of leadership. In fact in most organisations in the UK, this is the language. That is the mindset of winners. I have seen roads that would have been seen as standard in Nigeria totally rebuilt because of "health and safety" reasons.

And this is how you start as a people. You must tell yourselves you can do better than you are doing at the moment. Your present situation is a concern, how do we improve it and not attack every report presented on Nigeria.

If you are not comfortable with their reports, get your own researchers to do the work. You have improved a process by doing so!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by ebankole: 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
Very soon what we'll read or hear is NIGERIA is the worst place to CHEW food or DEFECATE...na wa o
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by coogar: 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
Gbawe: The mistake some Nigerians make is thinking a negative indictment of Nigeria is a negative indictment of them personally. They are then forced into the automatic defense of Nigeria. Whatever indices/parameters were used, is it really difficult to believe Nigeria is one of the worst place a child can be born into when factually damning revelations, such as that below, speaks volume?

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/sep/13/824.html

a professor in luth estimated nothing less than 515,000 expectant mothers die annually in nigeria during prenatal, child labour or postnatal! little wonder celebrities and government officials quickly whisk their wives abroad to ensure safe delivery.....
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by tpia1: 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
MacLovington:

if you want to look up events in the diaspora, google is your friend. undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by tpia1: 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
basher:

https://www.nairaland.com/1110573/soldiers-flog-abuja-university-students

I'm sure you'll like this treatment on your kids?

i schooled in nigeria- what's your point?
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Case33(m): 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
Proudly naija! I have visited so many countries and in some of those places i wished i never got der,while some were paradise on earth,but none felt like naija! If given another chance to be born again n d opportunity to chose where to be born,i would choose naija, anytime, anywhere! We are never stuck,we always find a way!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by tpia1: 5:19pm On Nov 22, 2012
the fact remains- western countries NEED the influx of people from elsewhere.

most nigerians are under the illusion the need is one sided.

america is a country of immigrants, duh.

as per where to be born- why not ask that question when you're in diaspora and looking for who to marry!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by coogar: 5:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
Case33: Proudly naija! I have visited so many countries and in some of those places i wished i never got der,while some were paradise on earth,but none felt like naija! If given another chance to be born again n d opportunity to chose where to be born,i would choose naija, anytime, anywhere! We are never stuck,we always find a way!

which explains why the country is not progressing....
the uncanny ability to find ways(dubiously) is the reason we have allowed our leaders to räpe and loot the country as they please.....

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by rusher14: 6:13pm On Nov 22, 2012
Questions:
When last did you enjoy electricty round the clock for a whole week?
When last did you enjoy pipe-borne water for an entire week?
When last did you go around 11pm and felt totally safe?
If the building next door to yours is gutted by fire how long would it take for the fire department to come to the rescue?
While travelling interstate when last did you trust the road, the driver and the other motorists?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by mamagee3(f): 6:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
They come last in everything except crime
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by k2039: 6:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
Blueboy0402:
I strongly believe you do not have issues understanding my comment. I have not and will never say all is well with Nigeria right now (read through my comments). Is this not enough retrospection about the state of things in the country?

Have you not heard of the saying "monkey no fine but him mama like am?" the fact that the monkey is ugly didnt make her mother call her ugly. Please mention one country under the sun that is devoid of challenges.
We both know the mother is deceiving herself.
Well our challenges are most man made that can be prevented and corrected

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by k2039: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2012
Johnwizzy:
guy stop ya frustration n look for a job...dont just stay here a whole day chatting away ya life....come 2 NYC and start begging cuz we hv many shiit like yu here in d street of nyc
A case of pot calling kettle black,mtchew.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
k2039:
A case of pot calling kettle black,mtchew.
I saw in one of ya post that u aint earning yet
I pray u get a job...cuz dat will stop ya frustration
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by lufemi(m): 8:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Freiburger:
I find the notion that most Nigerians living abroad are slaves very rediculous.
So it is better to call your country a hell hole than for me to say she has slavery mentality for saying that?? undecided, and please "rediculous man", as assignment go and learn d diff. of being called a slave and having slavery mentality,read my post again, understand and comment.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by ba7man(m): 9:44pm On Nov 22, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
My babies will soon thank their grandmother for taking me out of that hell hole.
What are u still lookin for in Nairaland then?? You should be on a UK or American or whatever country you've adopted's forum or won't they accept you there??
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Navalsadiq(m): 9:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
babaowo: is ghana a country or a village just asking no hard feelings lol
it is a community.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 22, 2012
ogugua88: Considering that there's no Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, or Congo, one way to look at it is that Nigeria is among the 80 best nations in which to be born. We shouldn't rejoice, but that's another perspective because, last time I checked, there are more than 80 nations comprising planet Earth.

Thank you very much. It's a highly misleading, dubious study. Obviously calculated to tarnish Nigeria's image. Apart from the lack of information on the methodology used for the study, there are at least 196 countries on earth, yet the list stopped at No 80 with Nigeria, making it appear we are the worst place on earth! These oyibo people and their hate for Naija!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
zeem_bab: Very funny.....

I always wondered if all these strange statistics are to bring Nigeria down.

Nigeria may not be the best country...but I have been to worst places on earth even outside Africa.

Mexico is an example of such place. A country that share border with almighty united state, but I thank God I was not born their.

Back home in Africa, Nigeria is far better with lot of opportunities than even Kenya ranked better us. Where is Sierra Leone, Guinnea, Togo, Congo,
Mali even Cameroon.

These are countries that when I visited, I did special thanks giving for being born in Nigeria.

I would like to advise that we should stop posting sensational news that drag the name of our country in mud.

We are far better than most of these countries....just imagine how possible is it that Nigeria produce the richest black man on earth with staggering $12 Billion worth if it is the worst place to be born.

Back in the UK, I had a Ugandan friend who couldn't understand what I meant when I told him I travelled to my village in Naija every christmas for holidays.

The guy was like ''the village?''. He was shocked. He said in Uganda nobody goes back to their village, and most people have no clue where their village even is! The villages/rural areas are desolate, poverty stricken and neglected - totally lacking any form of govt presence or interest. He said only a bush path led to his ''ancestral village'', as he called it, and there was no electricity, no shops or markets etc. Just a few mud huts and farmers, finish. I told him in my village we had clinics, roads, mansions, hotels, secondary schools, markets selling food, native wear, t-shirts, watches, recharge cards etc. The guy was just looking at me in confusion. cool cool

This is why I say many Nigerians don't know what they have.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
tpia1: the fact remains- western countries NEED the influx of people from elsewhere.

most nigerians are under the illusion the need is one sided.

america is a country of immigrants, duh.

as per where to be born- why not ask that question when you're in diaspora and looking for who to marry!

All these facts that you quotegrin grin grin grin that have no basis with reality, mostly assumptions
Re: Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 by ouagadougou(m): 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
Nigeria at least outdid Somalia, which didn't even get a mention in the index. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jonathan And John Mahama At Achebe's Burial (Pictures) / General J. O. Akomolafe Discharged, Acquitted / 57 PDP Reps Declare Support For Atiku’s Faction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.