Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job (13763 Views)

Poll: Take:

the bank job: 42% (58 votes)
the engineering job: 57% (79 votes)
This poll has ended

School, Job And Career: Before You Get Wrongly Inspired / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / I Want To Quit My Banking Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by guzzy: 12:57pm On Feb 13, 2008
whoah!!! what an interesting question, my own view is coming from experience becos my sister was deprive of her job becos of the wonderful offer or package gave to her by Bank phb as a marketer and unforturnately, after three months when she was unable to meet up with their target they showed her the way out and now she is back to square one and a lot of regret for leaving her former job becos of 2.6m per annum
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Rafaell(m): 1:11pm On Feb 13, 2008
I don't understand all these hula-balloo about money & what you can do with it. Men, Pally,  Its very short and simple. You  have a passion for engineering, which means you hold it close to heart. Don't ever think of moving away from that passion. I promise, you will regret it later in life if you venture that. Have u not heard of the saying that goes,  "Hold on to your profession, it will one day become beneficial (i.e lucrative) in our ever changing times.
So,  a word is enough for the wise.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Nobody: 1:13pm On Feb 13, 2008
guy,forget that bank job.
its not worth it.
i studied elect engr and got my forst job as a cistomer service officer
but there was no job satisfaction though i was earning good money including side deals
i resigned and joined an engineering firm .
though the pay wasn't that much,i gained experience in my field
and today im at a company that pays real good as in real good.
guy u fitb waka for sun?
u fit meet target?
abeg take that engineering job
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by 1stestees(m): 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2008
Success is not the key to happiness.
Happiness is the key to success.
If you are happy in what you are doing, you will be successful.

This quote encapsulates my advise to you and everyone else on nairaland.
First and foremost, try and know who you are, what you wish or want to be and work towards it.
You will then be happy.
Chances are that you are not even meant to succeed be in any of the two industries; engineering and banking.
If you really want to make it, if you want the world to celebrate you, then you need to be in your God ordained field, there, 1st you will be happy even when you are not been paid. then, you will become successful and thereafter the world will celebrate you.

All the best. kiss
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by candylips(m): 1:36pm On Feb 13, 2008
Well i had a similar experience and looking back i think following my heart worked out fine.

I actually got 2 bank offers with different start dates and was already working in an IT company although the pay was really crap ( =N= 20k)

I spent just 3 weeks in one of the banks where i was in Operations (gash i hated the smell of those dirty naira notes) and 2 months in the other bank where i was in Marketing ( left after 3 months when i found out that i couldnt meet up their stupid target ).

When another IT job came along i took it with both hands even though the pay was still crap (=N= 50k) , i was determined to learn and gain experience. and i was happy at the end of the day even though my pocket was not happy  smiley .

a college who worked with me in the previous job is now clocking =N=550,000 per month while my humble self is not doing too bad as well ( but i no dey naija sha) just after about 5 years
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 13, 2008
candylips:

a college who worked with me in the previous job is now clocking =N=550,000 per month while my humble self is not doing too bad as well ( but i no dey naija sha) just after about 5 years

see moneeeeey !!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked!!!!!
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by JJay1(m): 3:07pm On Feb 13, 2008
[email][/email]klas (m)   Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job
« #62 on: Today at 11:28:06 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are people making it sound as if banking is a job and not a career? What is a career? Must you read banking to reach the top in a bank? I can list up to ten Nigerian banks' MDs who read courses that are nothing near banking or related coureses. One of them is was a first class oil engineer. Education is about adaptation. In Nigeria of today, money is not everything, it is the only thing. Money creates passion where none exist hitherto.

Thank you klas, guys banking is a fantastic career and dont be surprised that many of the banks MD/EDs actually have first degree in engineering. As a matter of fact big banks in Europe and the US would actually recruit an engineering graduate before considering a graduate of Finance/Accounting/Bus Admn. At the moment Goldman Sachs (a global financial giant) tours UK and US top Universities to recruit penultimate and final year engineering students. You'll be surprised that so many Nigerian engineers are benefitting from this.

Also, the way the Nigerian financial industry is going, it is inevitable that the bank would have a technology division which encompasses their IT, Hardwares, Softwares, Applications & ERPs which would be a fantastic area for engineers to grow and at the same time earn respectful salaries. My younger cousin graduated from FUT Minna over a year ago in engineering and is in IT division with UBA, he keeps telling me its the best job in the world for him.

My advice to this guy is that he take the banking job and try to get into their IT/Technology division later, I understand that he is being offered a marketing job now but  trust me its better scheming from within the organisation rather than from outside.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by JJay1(m): 3:07pm On Feb 13, 2008
Where there is a will, there is a way
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by mhm(m): 3:43pm On Feb 13, 2008
I always wonder how we get into our respective professions. are we really engineers because we had a passion for engineering or because our parents pushed us in that direction.

Sometimes what you study is not really where your passion lies.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by candylips(m): 5:04pm On Feb 13, 2008
JJay1:

My advice to this guy is that he take the banking job and try to get into their IT/Technology division later, I understand that he is being offered a marketing job now but  trust me its better scheming from within the organisation rather than from outside.

Not in Nigerian Banks. Once you get into Marketing you can't get out and you will not even have the skills or experience to go into the IT/engineering division of the bank. Trust me i am talking from experience

JJay1:

Thank you klas, guys banking is a fantastic career and don't be surprised that many of the banks MD/EDs actually have first degree in engineering. As a matter of fact big banks in Europe and the US would actually recruit an engineering graduate before considering a graduate of Finance/Accounting/Bus Admn. At the moment Goldman Sachs (a global financial giant) tours UK and US top Universities to recruit penultimate and final year engineering students. You'll be surprised that so many Nigerian engineers are benefitting from this.

Global investment banks are a different kettle of fish we are talking about Nigerian banks. The kind of work they do is totally different from what you can expect from a Marketing job in a Nigerian bank or even the Engineering/IT department.

The dude is mainly concerned about the money he is going to get from the bank relative to what he would get in the Engineering job. I dont think he is interested in a banking career per say
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by ratiken(m): 5:14pm On Feb 13, 2008
Passion can be triggered either by role models or parents/ guardians or possessing skills relevant to a field among many others.

Sometimes its necessary to adhere to parent's advice cos it combats juvenile decisions we make at the admiration of vanity at that tender age.

Though there are selfish parents who force their kids to live their own dreams without attending to their strengths and passion.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by alamin3: 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2008
An engineering graduate in banking can best be called A FAILED PROJECT. My brother or sister don't be deceived bank work in Nigeria whether you are an operation satff or a marketer with all the  pressure to meet target is slavery. Please I am passionately appealing to you don't make the mistake, the moment you  get used to the so called big money the bank takes control and you will be at their mercy.You are even lucky to have secured an eng'g job at the same time. Dont be deceived you will most likely end up fighting yourself as a banker, because the passion is not there and the job is not funny either. Go for your career where you will apply your creativity and your work experience will be relevant to your course of study thereby giving you the ability to make job changes and grow as a complete professional  then ultimately fulfil your dream.what gives you the most peice of mind is the best for you. forget about the temptations in banking. THINK ABOUT THE LONG RUN NOT THE SHORT TERM BENEFIT.
I have friends in banking who are sad people regardless of their so called big pay, and these are not even graduates of professional courses like you. I hope you have not decide already in favour of banking.
ANY SINCERE BANKER WILL GIVE YOU JUST THIS  ADVICE. BYE AND GOD BLESS
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by pope732901(m): 6:54pm On Feb 13, 2008
Banking now, Money na the Koko.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Dividends(m): 7:04pm On Feb 13, 2008
I know a guy who was in a similar fix. It's so easy to take the bank job and plan to save money for further studies abroad but it doesn't always work that way. A good number of fellas in banks today just wanted to "work briefly say for 2-5 years and jump out." My brother, I assure U that in the first six months of joining a bank U'd start thinking of renting a house, showing appreciation to those who helped you through school, and of course spending on designer clothes (U gotta live up to the image of your bank).

Then comes the interesting and very exciting world of up-fronts, profit sharing and staff loans. Ur mouth would always be filled with so much goodies U might find it difficult preparing for jumping ship. And so September after september glides by, and that thought of a great grad school experience gets ever so remote.

Think hard. Pray harder. Consult widely. then make a decision. And be determined never to regret Ur decision.

I wish U the best.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by penfold(m): 7:46pm On Feb 13, 2008
@poster,
maybe you should answer this question - to you, what constitutes wealth, a) ability to make loads of money on your OR b) being paid a stupendous salary by people who are making the money.

The answer to that and your view of nigeria's economic future should guide your decision. I was in the same dilemma some years back, i had a job in a bank, i was fed up and the engineering offers i got meant a serious pay-cut, i opted out and believe me, today i am better off for it. I got the opportunity to travel all over the world on a consultant status, this is in addition to getting higher degrees and proffessional qualifications abroad, opportunities that came my way through engineering, although not everyone can be as fortunate as that you still need to be very careful when making your decision. if you reject the bank job and you are unable to perform excellently in engineering, you would have made the sacrifice for nothing, even if you are good but the firm is in dire straits, you are still done for. so my guy, think it through before you make any decision o!!
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by yewaman1(m): 8:20pm On Feb 13, 2008
why go for a banking job when his passion is in Engineering, oh I forgot (banking job 140k, and engineering 60k), has he thought of the possibility of that 60k becoming 140k in three months and no chance of an increase in salary from the bank job for the next 1yr or more (thats if he dose not not get sacked first).

I should chase his passion, no pain no gain.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by yewaman1(m): 8:23pm On Feb 13, 2008
why go for a banking job when his passion is in Engineering, oh I forgot (banking job 140k, and engineering 60k), has he thought of the possibility of that 60k becoming 140k in three months and no chance of an increase in salary from the bank job for the next 1yr or more (thats if he dose not not get sacked first).

He should chase his passion, no pain no gain.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by sweetonyx(m): 8:35pm On Feb 13, 2008
Join the engineering firm,get the experience and boom grin grin,
blow up with a shell job or sumtin even beta. grin grin
Wateva u decide,let God be ur Guide.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by OLADO(m): 9:37pm On Feb 13, 2008
I will like to ask u, is it the money u are after of ur career?. Note that u can't ave the two together u will ave to sacrifice one 4 the other. Again are there pressures from u i mean mayb 4rm ur parents?, In the sense that are they looking up to u to train ur siblings? If no then i will advice u to go for the Engineering job u stand a lot to gain 4rm it. 60k is not bad as a starter on the job, if u are diligent and hardworking am sure promotion will come and as time goes on u will earn more than that which the bank is offering u. LOOK INTO THE FUTURE AND NOT TODAY. God Be With U.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by spoilt(f): 12:41am On Feb 14, 2008
60k a month in 2008 is nothing.
take the bank job. at least you will pocket some months pay before they fire you.you can then hop to another bank and repeat the same thing.  grin >:
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by astinno(m): 10:05am On Feb 14, 2008
Guy, my advice is simple.!

Look at people who what spent 3-5 years in each of the companies, then ask yourself a basic question.

Which of this guys can you tolerate yourself as being in 3-5 years time? I used the word TOLERATE because I see both options as being close to the worse case scenerio. the worse case scenerio being you are fired before the 3-5 years time.

Best scenerio being your heart desires are fulfilled, good luck my bro.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by ow11(m): 9:43pm On Feb 14, 2008
If his chic get 'belle' then the bank job should suffice; else he would be a poor planner to ditch experience at an early stage in his life for money.

BUT if he doesnt really like engineering and studied it because 'na him dey reign' then he can try the banking industry and see how far his talents can take him.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Mitsy: 10:23am On Feb 15, 2008
I tell you what, don't even think about the banking job, that is absolute waste of time. Although I may not be in a better position to analyse the banking system in Nigeria, since I never worked before I left exactly 8 years ago. But from my understanding and what I have read so far on these pages my candid opinion will be to focus on your core competence.

I had my Bsc in Software Engineering in Ireland but didn't like programming so I decided to go for a Masters in Operations Research also in Ireland. I still didn't get a job after this, but I was determined and I went for a traineeship programme in Supply Chain Logistics Administration. I now have a place with DHL Operations in Europe.

So my friend, think about the long term and decide what best suit you.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by parislomo(f): 1:07pm On Feb 15, 2008
Hey dude, tell your friend to take up the engineering job. You cannot get BETTER & be BITTER (hehe, I formed this saying myself now now. You see what your story is doing already? INSPIRING SOMEONE ALREADY!)
It's well.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by ivanX7: 11:26pm On Feb 15, 2008
true passion is every thing
but the reality of the every ones situation superceeds passion

take the bank job if it doesnt work out move back to engineering
you just might be the next big thing in the banking industry so dont let any one discourage you

im a doctor here in nigeria the sad pay has removed passion from my life
as of now my younger ones run things in the family and all i get is to be called "docky" with no money

so right now if i get such a banking offer ill take it wit open arms
hard work doesnt scare me its called reality
u could be stuck in the same shityy engineering job for the next 6-7yrs
with no real improvemnt just like most doctors

pls go with the reallity of your situation and be prayerful
all the best
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by na2day2(m): 12:57am On Feb 16, 2008
GBAM! the doc as spoken and i am strongly behind his advice. there are many black kids in the usa that dream to be in the NBA or a big time rap super star, it will be foolish if they all reject other opportunities that knock on their doors. a word is enough for the wise.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Rare(m): 8:00am On Feb 16, 2008
Let me drop my own analysis:

First, the poster did not indicate details of the engineering job (scope of the company, profile, job description) nor his academic discipline; so that we can determine how useful it'll be for your future prospects

Secondly, others have mentioned the important issue of 'passion'. It can drive you confidently anywhere. If the engr doesn't conform with your passion or if it isn't offerring promising prospects (as earlier mentioned) , you can look to the bank, as it may still offer its own kind of useful experience.

Thirdly the "stepping stone" concept. I've seen two intelligent versions in this thread----make your pick. Either you take the engineering job (if it promises prospects!!!!!!!!!) and use the valuable experience/skill to progress to better future jobs and pay packages; OR take the marketing job strictly for monetary gains and perhaps support yourself to higher degrees in engineering from quality graduate schools overseas.

When looking at the last option, bear in that a lot of schools overseas appreciate the work experience, which would put you in a better position for scholarships & grants as well as keep you focused in your choice of school/degree program.

Believe me, I was faced with this dilemma about six months ago. I decided to take the engineering job (telecoms; but lower paying than a bank offer) because the prospects are overwhelming, either for a better job change or to seek grants for Master's degree overseas. The experience/skill being acquired is impressive even to myself. So far, no regrets. Let's watch and see how the gamble plays out.

I never like to discourage anyone from grabbing these 'juicy' bank offers. They are really tempting. Besides, some people may find themselves in conditions (or families) where monetary needs may supercede any other considerations, and hugely influence that choices. It can also be a thing of the mind. I believe I'm not in that kind of position.

Weigh your options
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by TEEZERO(m): 11:05am On Feb 16, 2008
The difference between a job and a career is PASSION.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by JayCee100: 10:12am On Feb 18, 2008
This reply's probably coming late. But just in case it's not,

1. ask your friend if he thinks the 200M in 3 months target is achievable by him.

2. He should be aware of the fact that even if he achieves the 200M target, this will most likely be increased - is he prepared for that?

3. 60k may look small to start with for the Engineering job, but if he gets good experience, I bet you, 3 to 4 years down the line, he'll be better off than if he took the banking job (as a marketer in particular, each day these marketers go to work not knowing if the'll be given the boot or not)

4. He's got passion for Engineering, that's very very important.

Best of luck!
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by Tundeadio: 7:05pm On Feb 18, 2008
I think it is better to go for the banking job and get your dole. Banks don't really sack like that. All that is just a threat even if you don't meet your target, you can't be sacked just like that. They will still give you time. Enjoy your money! As you go out marketing, other oppurtunities will be coming your way and you will have to open your eyes to see them. I tell you, you will not regret it. Money first. Career is good but if the money is not coming, what happens to you? Dejection and dissapointment. Look, u are lucky, just settle down for the banking job and enjoy your life.
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by kareem111: 9:05pm On Feb 18, 2008
Hello ,I saw your advert concerning A BANKING JOB AND AN ENGINEERING JOB . I think i have an interest in it please i have attached my CV you can mail me through my e-mail address krmbalogun@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Two Offers: A Banking Job And An Engineering Job by ratiken(m): 12:18pm On Feb 19, 2008
@kAREEM11
angry shocked shocked shocked

Which part of moon are you coming from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? / My Journey Into Yahoo Plus, How It All Started In Details / In Need Of My Employer's Help That, If Done, Will See Me Leave His Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.