Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Divided Emotions - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Divided Emotions (63228 Views)

19 Words For Emotions You Feel But Can’t Explain / Waves Of Emotions / Twisted Emotions - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 7:15pm On Dec 05, 2012
Splendblex: Welldone Lola,MORE! Pls...

Thanks Splend cheesy
Re: Divided Emotions by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 8:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
Omolollipop...no night dosage? cry
That means I won't sleep well tonight oh..
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:38pm On Dec 05, 2012
Oluwafunmilayo95: Omolollipop...no night dosage? cry
That means I won't sleep well tonight oh..

cheesy cheesy
Up next!
Re: Divided Emotions by IZUKWU(m): 8:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
Very touching
Re: Divided Emotions by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 9:11pm On Dec 05, 2012
Mods abeg "unhide" that post.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 6:28am On Dec 06, 2012
She hurried into her bedroom feeling sick to her stomach. The sight of Kenneth's old clothes stacked in the corner gave her another jolt. Divine hadn't wasted any time. His father was back, and life would resume as if the war had never taken place.

Swallowing the bile rising in her throat, she rushed over to the closet to change clothes. She gasped when she opened the doors and saw more of Kenneth's things hanging next to hers. Unconsciously, she reached out to touch the clothes she'd thought she'd dealt with for the last time.

Kenneth had always been physically perfect to her. In his topcoat, he'd looked sophisticated and rakishly handsome. She groaned. If she allowed memories to intrude, she'd never be able to cope.

. . .Stop it Sonia. This is sick. You're still thinking of him as dead. He's alive! Why can't you believe it? Because he doesn't look the same? Because he is not physically perfect anymore and you're repulsed? Because you're in love with James and don't want to believe it? That's what Kenneth thinks. Is that what you think, Sonia? Do you even know what you think? If you're this shallow and insensitive to another human's suffering, if you're really this cruel and selfish, then you need help, Sonia Brown. The kind of professional help not even Linda can give you. Please, God. Make it possible for me to listen to him tonight. Give me the strength to get through the next twenty-four hours without losing my mind. . .

Sonia stood there on shaky legs trying to gather the courage to phone James and tell him she couldn't see him or talk to him for a couple of days. Now was the time to call him, while Kenneth was out of the house. Then maybe she'd be able to concentrate long enough to put dinner on the table. Kenneth's first home-cooked meal in seven years.

Quickly, before any more time was lost, she changed out of her suit into jeans and a cotton top. After exchanging her high heels for leather sandals, she sat on the edge of the bed, picked up the phone and punched in James number.

When she got his answering machine, she let out the breath she'd been holding. To her horror she recognized it for what it was. Relief.

Relief because she wasn't ready for the kind of pressure she knew James would apply when she told him her plans. He would try to break down her resolve, change her mind. And because of her love for him, she was too vulnerable right now to withstand all the emotional arguments he'd use.

"James?" She couldn't prevent her voice from shaking. "I'm keeping my promise by phoning you now. There won't be a chance later.
"I've had little time to think and I've come to a decision. I-I'm not going to see you for a while. Please don't ask me for a timetable, because I can't give you one. I owe Kenneth my undivided attention while he adjusts. Divine's emotional state is fragile. So is mi..."

"And what about mine?" An angry male voice broke in, one she hardly recognized as James. He was at the house, after all.
She jumped to her feet, trembling from head to toe.

"You can't do this to us, Sonia. You shut me out for too damn long as it is. I'm not trying to be unreasonable. All I ask is that you fit me in for at least a few minutes every day so you don't forget what I look like!"

She gripped the receiver more tightly. "That can't happen and you know it. I love you, darling. But think...Kenneth's been deprived of his life for seven years. Seven years. Now I have to spend a few days helping him to put some of the pieces back together. I'm the only one who can do that...but it'll be impossible if I allow myself to see you."

She heard a deep groan.

"No one told him, but I'm positive he knows we were together today. I can't hurt him like that again, James. I can't!"

There was a dreadful silence. "But you can hurt me."

Her face went hot. "That's not fair, darling. I'm trying to do the right thing. But to sneak behind his back would be cowardly. Its not worthy of either of us."

"I thought you told him about us!"

"I - I have."

"Then he knows the situation and he'll have to understand that you and I need time together, too."

"You're asking for understanding from a man who was left to rot in underground prisons for six and half years?" She asked. "Have you forgotten I'm still his wife?"

"That's funny," he lashed out. "Until this morning, I thought you were my fiance."

"James, you know what I meant."

"I'm afraid I do," he muttered. "If you ever figure out who you are, let me know. See you around."

"No, James. Don't hang up! Please..."

But the line was dead.

"Sonia?"

No....

She whirled around, the phone still in her hand.

"Kenneth..."
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 7:40am On Dec 06, 2012
Mods, why are my posts hidden?
This isn't funny
Re: Divided Emotions by Cuddlemii: 12:45pm On Dec 06, 2012
Omolola1: Mods, why are my posts hidden?
This isn't funny

Do you know about the spambot?
Spambot hides posts like that at times.
It has nothing to do with the content of your post.
Just alert me anytime it happens so I can release it.
Sorry for the inconvenience
Re: Divided Emotions by Ice4jez(m): 12:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
Mods wat ur own now.release dis post now or someone is gonna get a hunt real bad
Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 2:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
Chai! MORE!!!*pleading*
Re: Divided Emotions by IZUKWU(m): 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
Emotionally very touching
Re: Divided Emotions by DAvIt0(m): 5:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
im so so enjoying nd following dis
quite emotional
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:50pm On Dec 06, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Do you know about the spambot?
Spambot hides posts like that at times.
It has nothing to do with the content of your post.
Just alert me anytime it happens so I can release it.
Sorry for the inconvenience
[quote author=Cuddlemii]

Alright, thanks for "unhiding"
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:32pm On Dec 06, 2012
"I didn't mean to eavesdrop."

She swallowed hard. "I'm sure you didn't. I - I was calling James to tell him I couldn't see him for a while."

"It's okay," he murmured, still standing in the doorway. "You don't owe me any explanation. If I were in his shoes, I probably would've charged my way over here long before now."

Knowing the old Kenneth, he probably would have, she admitted to herself, not wanting to acknowledge the ghist of a smile hovering at the corner of his mouth. For a fraction of a moment she could remember other times when he'd smiled like that. It made her feel light-headed.

"From my standpoint, James self-restraint is highly commendable. According to Divine, he's 'pretty cool, a great guy. I just don't want Mom to marry him.'"

That was quite a heart-to-heart they'd had during their bike ride.
Tears stung her eyes and she looked away.

"Sonia, now that I'm back home to father our son, Divine isn't going to be as difficult. Do you hear what I'm saying?"

She could hear what he wasn't saying, and it confused her.

Kenneth was being so understanding it had caught her off guard. On the other hand, James was acting as completely out of character she couldn't explain it.

"Mom and Dad have taken over in the kitchen. We'll all get along fine if you want to use this time to drive to James house and make peace with him. Judging by your end of the conversation, the man is going through hell. He has a right to be put out of his misery."

A slow burning anger held her in place. "Don't say any more, Kenneth."

He frowned. "Say what?" He demanded.

She dropped the receiver back on the cradle. "You know what I mean."

"I think you're going to have to tell me."

Shades of the old Kenneth were surfacing faster than she could assimilate them. She whirled around to face him. "Hell is the place you've just come from. To use the word in any other context is ludicrous, and you know it."

His eyes narrowed. "Hell is a place. I agree. But it's also a state of mind."

"Stop it, Kenneth!" She practically shouted at him. "You can't compare what you've lived through to my state of mind or anyone else's. If you're trying to destroy me, you're doing a stellar job."

He moved away from the door and stepped closer. "Anything but, Sonia. You have to understand that I took a calculated risk in coming home without giving you advance warning.
"My superiors in Kaduna cautioned me that it would be better if we had over first re-union over there, to give everyone some time to come to grips with the fact that I didn't die in the war."

Sonia shuddered in renewed pain to hear him say those words matter-of-factly.

"I thought I knew better." His voice sounded gruff. "I was so anxious to get home to you and Divine I refused to listen to professionals who knew what they were talking about. Poor M.T thinks he owes me his life because he has some misguided idea that I saved his, so he was willing to do whatever I wanted.
"The poor devil deserved to know his fate long before he got off that plane this morning. That's the other regret I'm going to have to live with." There were tears in his voice. "Not one damn person was there to let him know he'd been missed, to acknowledge that he'd ever fought for his country..."

"Oh, Ken." She moved toward him. But his body had gone rigid. She sensed he'd reject any comfort she tried to offer.

"The timing couldn't have been better, could it?" He asked with evident self-loathing. "If I'd done the right thing, you and James would have heard the news about me several weeks ago and you could've had time to talk things out and come up with some kind of strategy before you had to face me again.
"Instead I burst in on what was probably one of the happiest times of your life. We both know Divine would have eventually accepted James as his stepfa..."

"There is no wrong or right time!" She interrupted him before he could say another damning word. "Three weeks or nine hours could make no difference to the fact that you're alive and you've come home! That's all that matters. All that's important!"

One dark brow lifted. "Not true, Sonia. We all need time to get our bearings. After dinner, M.T and I will move to a hotel for a week or two, maybe the University Plaza Hotel. Divine and I passed it on our bikes. It's two minutes from the house. That close, I'll be accessible to him after school..."

"No!" In the next breath she'd closed the distance between them and grasped his shoulders. "Don't you dare talk about moving out! This is your home, Kenneth. I want you here." She shook him.

His eyes took on a faintly glacial sheen. "But not in your bed."

"Yes, I want you in our bed," she fired back.

The cord in his neck throbbed. "Tonight?"

His question pulsed in the air like a live wire. Their gazes collided.

One wrong word and Kenneth would leave. She could see it in the savagery of his expression.

If she let him walk away now, something told her the painful consequences of that action would haunt her for the rest of her life.

. . .Forgive me, James, but this is something I have to do. . .

"Yes," she whispered. "Tonight. Please, Ken. Promise me you won't move out."
Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 10:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
It is really gettin more interestin.More ink to ur pen!

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by DAvIt0(m): 12:20pm On Dec 07, 2012
AS IN DAMN INTERESTING

KAWAIIIIIII
Re: Divided Emotions by Silke(f): 4:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
This is great. And your characters have depth. Keep it up
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 6:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
Silke: This is great. And your characters have depth. Keep it up

Thank you Silke
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 6:02pm On Dec 07, 2012
THE FEAR IN THOSE pleading black eyes wasn't something Sonia could fake. No doubt their son's welfare figured heavily to her panic-driven petition. Divine was one terrific kid. But he was fragile right now, and there was a limit to his ability to cope with their hellish situation. Having just heard his son spill his guts, Kenneth shared Sonia's concern.

Her fear, rather than the touch of her hands on his shoulders or the words she'd felt compelled to say for decency's sake if nothing else, made Kenneth reconsider his decision to move out.

"There have been enough shocks for one day. I have no desire to create another crisis for Divine. He's already torn apart by conflicting loyalties. I'll stay."

"Thank you," she said quietly. She seemed unaware that her fingers dug into his skin through the pullover as her eyelids fluttered closed. They drew his attention to the faint purple smudges beneath her lashes, evidence of her trauma, the lack of sleep.

New lines radiated from the corners of her eyes and around her generous mouth. The shape of her facial features was a little more pronounced, giving her a more womanly aspect, evidence of the passing of years he'd missed. Years they could never recapture as a joint memory of living together and loving.

. . .To resolve your grief, you must accept the fact that what was will never be again. Then you must give yourself permission to grieve over your grief. . .

Those words...reiterated by the hospital staff on a daily basis...were so easy to say. But impossible to act on, Kenneth moved inwardly.

. . .How do I accept the fact that the stranger in my arms was once blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, soul of my soul? How can I bear it that she loves another? How do I stand that?

"Mom? Dad? Grandma says dinner's ready."

"We'll be right there," they both answered at the same time.

As Sonia pulled away from him, her wan little smile came and went too fast for Kenneth to believe they'd shared a moment of spontaneous humour.

He allowed her out of the room and down the hall. Though she was a good fifteen pounds thinner than he remembered her, the shape of her body had grown more svelte and womanly. She looked toned. She looked terrific. No doubt James was her match in all the ways that counted.

Kenneth had thought he'd want to see his successor. But certain images of Sonia with the man Kenneth's mind had conjured up brought on such an intense spasm of jealousy it made him think again.

"I hope you still love potatoes and egg," she called over her shoulder.
"Why would that have changed?"
At his question, she faltered in her stride and turned to him. "I don't know. I was just trying to make pleasant conversation."
"Hell, Sonia. You know I didn't mean it the way it sounded."
The pinched look on her face told him he'd really hurt her. "Then why did you ask it?"

"Maybe because once upon a time you would never have felt forced to 'make' conversation with me. Maybe because it was too-painful reminder of the years we've missed, and for a little while I wanted to forget the past. Maybe because you made me feel like a long-lost uncle, instead of your husband. Maybe because I'm aware you'd rather be with James right now than here with me. Is that enough truth for you?"

Her eyes filled, but not one tear fell."I'm sorry, in the future I'll try to be more careful."

"That's the point, Sonia. I don't want you to try to do anything. I'm the one who should apologize for being so damn touchy." He expelled a deep sigh. "Just ignore me and be yourself."

Her gaze didn't quite meet his. "I don't know who 'myself' is anymore."

"That makes two of us. Aside from Divine, it appears to be the only common ground between us. Perhaps because this is brand-new territory for both of us, we can agree to forgive each other ahead of time for any unintentional slings and arrows that find their mark."

Her face crumpled in despair. "You talk as if we're enemies."

"No, Sonia. The exact opposite, I think. An enemy desires to harm. You and I, on the other hand, keep making wider circles to avoid hurting each other. But somewhere in that process, we continue to alienate all the same."

She averted her head. "How are we going to get through the rest of this day without doing more damage?"

"I suppose by accepting the fact that we're both painfully aware of how easily psyches can be bruised with one wrong word or glance."

"I don't want to hurt you, Kenneth." Her voice sounded tormented.
"I don't want to hurt you, either." He gestured toward her with his good arm. "Come on, let's go eat."

Unaccountably relieved that they'd survived the latest skirmish, he trailed her into the small formal dining room off the kitchen.

"There you two are," his father said. Kenneth detected satisfaction in his tone, as if seeing Kenneth and Sonia together meant everything was getting back to normal in a hurry, and they could proceed with life as it used to be.

His mother fussed around M.T., but Kenneth recognized the approving gleam in her eyes as he and Sonia emerged from the hallway. That gleam revealed all her hopes and dreams for a happy future.

Kenneth stood in awe of his parents' incredible optimism. When everyone else had given up, even Sonia, they, along with Divine, hadn't believed in their hearts that Kenneth had been killed in the war.
Re: Divided Emotions by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 8:44pm On Dec 07, 2012
Beautiful! Beautiful!!Beautiful!!! kiss

We want MORE!!!!!!!wink
Re: Divided Emotions by DAvIt0(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2012
so coool drop more before bed time
Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 8:58pm On Dec 07, 2012
Too short nah...welldone n pls try n make it longer nxt tym.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:29pm On Dec 07, 2012
Splendblex: Too short nah...welldone n pls try n make it longer nxt tym.

Too short?
Haba splend!!! I'd try
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 10:57pm On Dec 07, 2012
Was it any wonder they assumed he and his estranged wife would have little difficulty weathering this final storm before ending up in the sunshine again?
When Kenneth had called them from Kaduna, there was no mention of James. Not until Sonia's kiss did he realize another man had entered the picture.

At first he'd thought his parents had purposely left James name of out the conversation because they didn't want to deliver any blows that might mar his homecoming. But since this morning, he'd had time to reflect on his parents' silence about Sonia's fiance, and he'd come to a different conclusion. They hadn't said a word to him about James because they refused to face the fact that Sonia could love anyone except their son. Period.

Probably because he was an only child, Kenneth's parents had a fatal blind spot where he was concerned. If they chose to believe that something was so, then no power on earth could change their belief. Kenneth loved them for that astounding quality...for loving him without qualification...but he also wept for them because in their denial, they were going to reap the proverbial whirlwind.

"Sit up here, Dad," Divine said excitedly.
The head of the table. How many times in the past seven years had he dreamed of moments like this?
. . .Stop it, Brown. The past is over. . .
"Don't mind if I do." He tousled Divine's hair then pulled out the chair. on the left, next to his own. His gaze darted to his wife. "Sonia?"
"Thank you."

As he guided her, he knew his hand rested too long on her shoulder, but her warmth and softness had seeped through his palm, grounding it. She was so alive. Her energy infiltrated his starving body, reminding him how much he craved her touch.

. . .Lord help me. . .

Somehow he'd thought he was prepared for this moment, with all his family gathered around the table anticipating this most special thanksgiving feasts. But as he took in each beloved face, he felt his throat close up. His heart hammered so painfully in his chest he couldn't breathe.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to say grace," M.T said, intervening at the precise moment Kenneth thought he'd have to excuse himself from the table. During their years of captivity, M.T and Kenneth had become extensions of each other. When one cut himself, the other bled. Right now, M.T's steady gaze was focused on Sonia, seeking her permission. Her face softened as she responded in a tremulous voice, "I wish you could."
"Let's all join hands."

Divine grabbed Kenneth's right hand and clung. It was purely accidental that Sonia was sitting at Kenneth's left, which meant that she'd have to hold on to his bad arm, above the wrist. He had to admit she hid her revulsion well. So well, infact that he could almost believe she wasn't aware of it. No doubt shock had settled in and she wasn't feeling much of anything.

"Dear Father, we thank you..." Kenneth heard the crack in M.T's voice, then a pause. "We thank you for life itself. For the beautiful circumstances in which we find ourselves this day. For the many prayers offered in our behalf, which led to our being freed. Help us find the strength to use this freedom in wise ways, meaningful ways, which might help others.
"Bless this house with every needful thing. Bless the hands that prepared this food, that it will nourish..." His voice trembled "...and strengthen our bodies.
"At this time, Father," he continued, his voice dropping to a lower register, "I wish to thank you for my friend, Kenneth, Sergeant Brown. He was your servant, your instrument. If it weren't for him..."
Kenneth felt Sonia's hand slide up his forearm and squeeze it hard before M.T whispered, "Amen."
"Amen," Kenneth's father pronounced in a suspiciously thick tone. He picked up the carving knife and began to cut large slices of potato. "Let's eat, you first, M.T."

"Amen," Sonia murmured, staring straight into Kenneth's eyes before she allowed her hand to fall away. At this moment, he could read admiration in her eyes. The kind of respect one would have for an exceptional human being, whether male or female. But definitely not the look of the impassioned lover he'd left behind seven years ago, the besotted wife who'd once worshiped the ground he'd walked on, just as he'd worshiped everything about her and still did.

No. These days James Okoye was the person upon whom she lavished her desire.
Kenneth's stomach churned.
In his haste to reach his drink, he knocked over the glass, sending the milk splashing all over himself and Divine.
While Divine dashed to the kitchen for paper towels, Kenneth got to his feet in time to see his mother come rushing toward him with an anxious face, napkin in hand. "What's the matter, Kenny? If you didn't feel well, you should have told us."

"No need to get alarmed, Mom. I'm just clumsy." He walked her back to her chair, then returned to his place to help Divine clean up.
"That was one of the pluses of living in a cell." M.T piped up. "If we spilled our food, it didn't matter."
Divine looked at M.T. "What kind of food did they give you?"
M.T paused before taking a bite of Potato. "I never did figure it out. Did you?" He switched his gaze to Kenneth who could never thank M.T enough for defusing another unpleasant moment.

"Nope. In fact I'm not sure that's what you'd call it."

Neither his parents nor Sonia, especially Sonia, seemed to find his comment funny. M.T and Divine, however, laughed out loud.

"Forget all that, son," George muttered. "Now, here's a real meal you can sink your teeth into." Kenneth shook his head at the heaping plate of food set in front of him. If he got through a third of it, he'd be surprised. He and M.T shared an amused glance. No matter how good everything looked, their stomachs had shrunk. The doctors had told them to eat lots of small meals throughout the day.

"Grandma makes the best cake in the whole world, M.T. You can't stop with just one."
"I'm finding that out, Divine."

For a few minutes, there was a lull in the conversation while everyone ate. Throughout his marriage to Sonia, Kenneth had been served this same meal many times. But he'd never appreciated it in quite the same way, especially the scalloped potatoes. He was glad she'd made enough for an army because he had trouble sleeping at night and planned to raid the refrigerator.

Suddenly the sound of a high-pitched siren rent the air. Both Kenneth and R.T covered their ears and leapt to their feet. In the process, Kenneth's potato dropped to the plate with a thud and his chair fell backward on the carpet. But until the din finally subsided, he was rooted to the spot.

"Dad? It was just a car alarm..."

Divine's anxious expression was superseded only by the horrified look in Sonia's eyes. Slowly Kenneth lowered his hand. "Sorry," he murmured, then righted the chair and sat down again. "We didn't mean to scare you. I'm afraid M.T and I are going to be doing a lot of strange things for a while."

His mother started to cry, but his father patted her hand and she caught herself. Looking around, he said, "who wants more egg?"
M.T was still on his feet. "I don't think I could, sir. If you'll excuse me for a minute, I'm going to try to find out if someone knows where my aunt is. But I'll be back for dessert.
Kenneth flashed him a private signal.
. . .Get out of here M.T., before you jump through the ceiling. . .
His gaze followed M.T's progress from the dining room before he realized that Sonia's complexion had paled. She sat rigidly in her chair. "What just happened, Ken? And don't make light of it."

For the first time all day, he felt that maybe he had her attention.

After a brief hesitation, in which he weighed the wisdom of letting Divine hear this, he said, "All right, part of our harassment in the bunkers was to be awakened in the dead of the night by a long blaring siren set at decibels high enough to puncture an eardrum. That only happened once before we learned to stuff our ears with whatever was available, becase you never knew when they were going to pull one of their stunts."

Just relieving the memory, Kenneth felt sweat break out on his forehead. "It happened to us on the fourth night of our incarceration. Up to that point, they hadn't fed us, given us water or let us go to sleep. We'd been put in cages too small for us to stand or lie down. There was nothing we could do but sit or stand in a bent position."

"No, Kenny!" His mother wailed. "I can't hear it." She ran from the room, sobbing.

"Janet?" Kenneth's father pushed himself from the table and hurried after her.

By now, Divine's pallor matched his mother's. His eyes filled his whole face. "They were trying to break you down so you'd give them information, huh, Dad?"

"That's right, son. But M.T and I kept our mouths shut. After four days and nights of torture, we didn't care what they did to us. We were too exhausted and just passed out where we were. That's when they used the siren on us."

"As I said, the first time it went off, I woke up thinking the bunker had been bombed. Because we couldn't get out of our cages, we figured we were goners. But we soon heard that it was a routine tactic to make us talk. When that didn't work, they roughed us up on a fairly regular basis, but between sessions, we were at least given cells large enough to lie down in.
"I'm afraid the siren we heard few minutes ago triggered a reaction that's going to be hard to change. Our nerves have been shot to hell, but give us time. One day we'll be able to sit as calmly as you did."

Which was probably a lie. But it sounded good and seemed to satisfy Divine for the moment.

Sonia's state of mind was another matter. She looked ill. So ill, infact, that Kenneth thought she might faint.

"I-i'm going to fix the desert. Divine? Will you start clearing the table?"
He nodded.
"We'll both help." Kenneth offered.
"No!"
Her pleading eyes belied the sharpness of her tone.

"I'm worried about M.T. Go to him. He mustn't be alone right now and you'll know how to comfort him. After what you've just told us, I don't think anyone else could."

Maybe he'd gotten through to her a little.

"He'll be alright. If anything, he'd be embarrassed. I'll talk to him, and then we'll be back in for desert."

"Your mom's going to need help too."

. . .But not you, Sonia?

A helpless anger raged inside him. "She's got Dad. That's what a husband's for."

Sonia turned away.

In an instant, he'd destroyed the ephemeral rapport between them.

...Another sling, another arrow. More regrets. Hell...
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 10:57pm On Dec 07, 2012
Double post.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 10:58pm On Dec 07, 2012
Double post.
Re: Divided Emotions by kilokeys(m): 6:38am On Dec 08, 2012
I've read abt 35 novels this yr.. I can feel the depth in this one the most.. The iraqi-kaduna thingy is electrifying... Just keep posting o..
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 08, 2012
This is so beautifully written.I'm so having a divided emotion about each of the men.I wish MT could be consoled with a new love in live. How I wish I am part of the plot. Good job Lollypop!
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 11:52am On Dec 08, 2012
moreeni: This is so beautifully written.I'm so having a divided emotion about each of the men.I wish MT could be consoled with a new love in live. How I wish I am part of the plot. Good job Lollypop!

Thanks moreeni,
MT doesn't need a new love. .u'd find out why soon!
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 11:53am On Dec 08, 2012
"MOM?" DIVINE HAD JUST walked into the kitchen with load of plates. "Are you okay?"
. . .No, I'm not. I don't think I ever will be again. . .
"Not really." Her voice shook. "I'm sorry you had to hear those things." Appalled was more like it. Didn't Kenneth care that those graphic details of his torture would give their son nightmares?
"Jeez, Mom. I'm not a baby. We've learned about a lot of horrible things in my history class. Dad's so cool not to break. I love him, even if you don't!"

"Divine..."

"It's true!" He blurted, tears gushing from his eyes. "Dad figured out where you went today. He's not dumb."

Before she could demand he apologize, Divine dashed into the dining room for another load of dishes. The violence of his emotions almost immobilized her. She swayed against the counter where she'd been putting whipped cream on the strawberries. Her chest pains felt real.

"I'll tell you one thing," Divine began in that aggressive tone the second he came back in with the tray. "I hate James. I hate him. If you marry him, plan on me living with Dad."

Sonia felt as though she was going to die. "Divine...Divine..." In despair she reached for him, desperate to prevent fissure from cracking wide open. But for the first time in their lives, he jerked his body away from her and flew out of the kitchen.

She didn't have to wonder where he'd run. Suddenly her home had turned into an armed camp, and Divine had chosen sides. In less than twenty-four hours she'd managed to alienate everyone she loved...

Sonia hid her tear-wet face in the nearest dish towel. There shouldn't have to be a division. Life wasn't supposed to be like this!

"Sonia, honey?" George said gently. She hadn't heard him enter the kitchen.

"Dad...How's Mom?" She asked in a dull voice.

"Pretty bad. She's lying down. Kenny's in with her. I guess you didn't hear the doorbell. Do you want me to get it?"

James? With the circumstances so precarious, he wouldn't come over here now. Or would he? Was that what her father-in-law thought?

Kenneth had said that if he'd been in James position, he wouldn't have let anything stop him. Had she underestimated James pain? His desperation? If he was at the door, she didn't want anyone else answering it.

"No," she said, wiping her eyes. "I'll go. Thank you."

He touched her arm to detain her. "Honey..." He began, then seemed to think better of it and fell silent.

It didn't matter. Sonia knew exactly what he wanted to say.
...Don't hurt my boy. You mustn't hurt him. How can you hurt Janet and me this way...?

The bell rang again. Her heart had dropped to her feet before she reached the foyer and opened the front door, expecting to see James.

Instead, a slender petite woman with short hair and a pretty face stood anxiously on the porch. Her brown eyes seemed to be searching past Sonia.

"Yes?" Sonia said. "May I help you?"

"I hope so," came the fervent reply. "I'm Hauwa Danjuma, M.T.'s wife."
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 11:54am On Dec 08, 2012
Double post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Twist Of Fate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.