Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Divided Emotions - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Divided Emotions (63236 Views)

19 Words For Emotions You Feel But Can’t Explain / Waves Of Emotions / Twisted Emotions - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 8:40am On Dec 15, 2012
Omolola1: Sorry dats all I can post tonight! Not feeling well
ohh sorry dear,get well soon biko...
Re: Divided Emotions by collab: 10:56am On Dec 15, 2012
Oh! I luv dis place
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 15, 2012
Take a rest Sweets,the Lord will strengthen you.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 12:26pm On Dec 15, 2012
SONIA GOT BACK in the Mercedez, trying not to stare at the Siena driving off through the meadow.

"I've hated his guts since the day you first told me you had a husband named Kenneth who died in the war. When you phoned me and said he was coming home, I prayed his plane would crash. Now I wish to God I never met him."

She shivered at the vehemence in his tone. "I'm sorry, James."

"Sonia, let's go back to Abaji for dinner."

"I...I was just going to suggest it."

"Why don't we pick up some movies? We'll spend a relaxing, low-key evening since we've got the house to ourselves."

"That sounds lovely."

He reached for her hand. She clung to his, even when he had to shift gears, and tried hard not to think about anything. What she really wanted was to attain the glorious state of oblivion where there was no hurt, no pain, no guilt. Just nothing.

"Hey, sleepyhead. We're home."

"So fast?" Sonia lifted her head to look around. "I can't believe I passed out on you like that."

"I can. You've been under a lot of stress."

He leaned over to caress her hair. "You go on in and I'll run over to the movies store. Any movie preferences?"

"Something happy."

He came around to her side of the car and helped her out. '"I'll see what I can come up with." After giving her a swift hard kiss on the mouth, he left."

Sonia hurried into the house and locked the door, relieved that he hadn't insisted she go with him. This was one time she couldn't burden James. Her emotions were in such a chaotic state that she couldn't explain them to herself, let alone to him.

Why wasn't she jumping up and down with excitement at finding herself truly alone with James...her husband-to-be? It didn't make sense. They'd been given a whole night of privacy, to talk without interruption, to hold each other, to make definite plans for the future.

Shaking her head as if to ward off the guilt, she made her way to the bathroom to freshen up and replace the clothes she'd worn to work with her robe and slippers.

As she walked toward the living room, it struck her as odd that the house felt so empty. Heavens, she'd been alone many times. Divine often slept over with friends or spent a few nights in Maitama with his grandparents.

Why did the emptiness seem different tonight?

. . .You know why, Sonia. Because you're feeling lonely. Because Divine's not in any of his usual places. He's in paradise. He's with Kenneth. . .

She could see them now, the lanterns lit, fierce looks of concentration on their faces as they tried to beat each other at cards and outdo each other with scary stories. When the lights went out, they'd place their sleeping bags side by side, then climb in and gaze up at the heavens.

They'd philosophize a little, chat about nonessentials. Eventually Divine would ask questions about the war. How did Kenneth keep himself alive in prison? What did he think about? What frightened him? What did it feel like not to have a hand anymore?

Kenneth would answer some of Divine's questions with a watered-down version of his experiences, then change the subject to something more on Divine's level, like friends, sports, girls. They'd talk about all kinds of things, all kinds of people, except one. Divine's mother, Kenneth's wife.

A sharp pain pierced Sonia's heart. She cried out in the oppressive stillness of her empty home.

. . .Face it, Sonia. You wish you were there with them, you feel left out. . .

Terrified at the direction of her thoughts, she rushed over to the couch and began rearranging the pillows. She tried not to think about Kenneth using it as a bed. She fought the memory of his hunched body, fallen to the floor as he relived his imprisonment.

When the divorce was final, what lucky woman would have the privilege of holding him at night, of sharing his future? Who else knew how to scratch his back in just the right way, rub the ache out of his legs when the muscles tightened up?

Who else knew he was his most amorous at four o'clock in the morning? Who else knew how ticklish he was behind his knees? That if you kissed him there, he was putty in your hands? Your slave for the night?

What woman would be the recipient of that secret smile of his said that said, 'I've got you where I want you. There's no one to save you. You're all mine. Come here, little girl, you know when your number is up.'

The memories of Kenneth chasing her around their old apartment making ridiculous hooting sounds like a gorilla were so real she found herself giggling out of fear and excitement.

"Sweetheart?"

"Kenneth!" She screamed laughingly in automatic response, whirling around.

Too late she realized her error. James had stopped dead in his tracks, the bag of food in one hand, a video in the other.

Like an automation, he put the things on the coffee table, then straightened, his expression grim.

"Do you want to tell me what that was all about?"

. . .Remember. To get in touch with your feelings, you have to be honest. Always tell the truth, no matter how much it hurts. . .

She gazed into his eyes without flinching. "I was relieving a memory of life with Kenneth before he went to war. I didn't mean for it to happen. I'm sorry if it hurt you. I love you, James. I think you know that."

The muscles twitched along the side of his jaw. "Has this been happening a lot?"

"No," she answered with conviction because it was true. "In fact tonight is truly the first time I've entertained any intimate thoughts of him."

"How intimate?" He fired back.

She couldn't sustain his glance and looked away. "Intimate," she whispered.

She could tell he was struggling for breath. "I swore I wasn't going to ask you this question..."

"I haven't slept with him!" She cut off before he could say another word.

"But you want to."

. . .At all times be honest, no matter how much you think it might hurt. In time you'll begin to understand yourself. When that day arrives, you'll know what to do. . .

"I...I don't honestly know."

"Sonia!"

"James," she cried, "make love to me tonight. It's long past time for us to create our own intimate memories. That's what's wrong here. All this time I've asked you to wait. I've asked too much of you, of myself. I made a mistake!" She took a deep, shuddering breath. "Forgive me, I've loved you so long. Let me show you how much."

"You think I don't want that?" His voice shook.

"I know you do. Come on, darling." She lifted her hand, willing him to take it.

"If I make love to you tonight, Sonia, there's no going back."

"No going back."

"Be sure, my love."

. . .I'm going through with the divorce, Sonia. It's only a piece of paper, but it represents freedom for both of us. A chance for all concerned to start fresh. . .

"I'm sure."

Finally he took her hand and she led him through the house to the guest room, where he'd taken some of his clothes and personal articles.

When they entered, she grasped his other hand and held on to both as she looked up at him. "I'd take you to my room. But that's the bed Kenneth and I slept in."

His features tautened. "Kenneth won't be in this one," he vowed fiercely.

Relinquishing her hands, he unclasped the chain around her neck. Within seconds, the ring was back on her finger.

"The first thing I want to do, Mrs. Okoye-about-you," he murmured with a half smile playing around his mouth, "is take a shower with you. Since the day we met, I've had this fantasy of shampooing your hair and rubbing soap into your skin and..."

The world tilted as he lifted her in his arms. With his mouth fastened to hers, he carried her out of the bedroom to the bathroom across the hall.

"Surprise, Sonia!" A familiar voice called from the front corridor. "It's Grandpa and Grandma. Are you here? Sonia? Divine?"

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by loadux(f): 12:52pm On Dec 15, 2012
Noooooo Sonia is meant for Kenneth alone make James no come spoil show o
Lola well done beautiful story with right emotions can help it am hooked
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
This s.exy James is not going to sweep me off my feet! No! No matter how tantalising the idea of a bath with him is,no we will pass. Thanks to dearest Grannies. Iru ki le yi?Osenobua o.

Team Kenneth for life!

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 2:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
hmmmn,dis z getting crazy,lola,'u go wound person o!!!!'

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by bukydiamon(f): 3:26pm On Dec 15, 2012
moreeni, u are right o. Team kenneth for life. Welldone lola

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by Dumzii: 3:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
Beautiful!!! But u keep using sow terms we don't exactly use in Nigeria. Closet? Phone booth? How many people in Nigeria leave their houses to go call someone from a phone booth? Grocery store? The story sounds more American than Nigerian save for the Nigerian cities.
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
Dumzii: Beautiful!!! But u keep using sow terms we don't exactly use in Nigeria. Closet? Phone booth? How many people in Nigeria leave their houses to go call someone from a phone booth? Grocery store? The story sounds more American than Nigerian save for the Nigerian cities.

True, we have already let her know many of these things. I don't know what she intends to do with this story but she will have to make modifications if she wants to formally publish it.
Re: Divided Emotions by MsBella: 4:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
This James of a man! won't he leave sonia & her true love Kenneth to be?!?!

I am so happy the Grand parents interrupted. May they stay overnight. Yeye James. cheesy
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 5:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
maclatunji:

True, we have already let her know many of these things. I don't know what she intends to do with this story but she will have to make modifications if she wants to formally publish it.

Sure I would.
Thing is, am used to most of these american terms
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 6:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
Omolola1:

Sure I would.
Thing is, am used to most of these american terms

Because of the gazillion American novels you have read.

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 7:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
maclatunji:

Because of the gazillion American novels you have read.

grin grin
You can say that again

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by ruth42k3(f): 7:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
Wow!! Nice one. Good job omoloa.....tongue good for james that the grand parents interrupted.
Next update plsss
Re: Divided Emotions by oluchijud(f): 8:04pm On Dec 15, 2012
Omolola1:

grin grin
You can say that again
. Gud work omolola.. Pls dear Don't stop now .My heart is racing!!.. Oh my kenneth!!..
Re: Divided Emotions by tijehi(f): 8:16pm On Dec 15, 2012
Omolola u know suspense can send one to an early grave. Please o, hurry up and update. PleasEeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 9:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
angryplease darling..update more 2nit...ds suspense na d height

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 10:12pm On Dec 15, 2012
This James ehhh:/,Lola darlin MOREeeeee...
Re: Divided Emotions by IZUKWU(m): 6:56am On Dec 16, 2012
Lola,today is sunday , i hope say you will finish the book today and post it all
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 7:30am On Dec 16, 2012
Omolola dear, how are you? i'v missed reading your updates cos of the network in redemption camp, been there all week. now let me read through your beatiful lines, happy sunday.
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 16, 2012
I dnt knw y i feel so diff n feel mre 4 James oda dan Keneth,i lve Keneth bt lve james d mre,everibdy s surpportin Kenneth n hapi d@ grannies r arnd,mine s d turn around. Y cryI dnt knw y i feel so diff n feel mre 4 James oda dan Keneth,i lve Keneth bt lve james d mre,everibdy s surpportin Kenneth n hapi d@ grannies r arnd,mine s d turn around. Y
Re: Divided Emotions by ChikaSunday(m): 1:10pm On Dec 16, 2012
Your write-up is okay. you still need some cutting edge. Chika-Sunday 08032606847.
Re: Divided Emotions by Folusade(f): 2:11pm On Dec 16, 2012
omolola, happy sunday!
Please post the rest of the story today!
All of it oooooooooo
Lol!

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by trixandra(f): 3:01pm On Dec 16, 2012
You are not alone dear. Team James all the way
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2012
@ Candis,I used to be so divided btw James and Ken and was even partial to James because of the intensity of his emotional attachment to Sonia. Lately, I have noticed that though he still clearly loves her but the intensity of his emotion has reduced over time. Let's stick to the best man. Kenneth for live.
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2012
lola hope u are feeling better now? b good
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 5:32pm On Dec 16, 2012
Thanks all!
I'd try and post tonight! Am still very very strong
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 16, 2012
Omolola1: Thanks all!
I'd try and post tonight! Am still very very strong

The Lord is your strength. Would have said 'take your time' but let's do 'get strong quick' instead. Looking forward to your post tonight.
Re: Divided Emotions by Folusade(f): 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2012
Oh so sorry omolola
Didn't know you were ill.
How are you doing dear?
Re: Divided Emotions by Jaygrl(f): 6:15pm On Dec 16, 2012
Still waiting Ooº°˚ ...

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 7:56pm On Dec 16, 2012
Still waiting Ooº°˚ ...
Lola help us plsss

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Twist Of Fate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.