Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? (12351 Views)

This Is What You Do When Your Best Friend Is In Labour... / Am I Really Married Or Sharing A Room With A Man? / Guys, Can You Go In With Your Wife To Labour Room? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 12:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
I've heard men recount how their requests to enter labour room with their wives were turned down. This is common with government hospitals. Why on earth do they do this if husband and wife are cool with it. I like the idea and my fiancee desires it. If after telling a doc upfront he still denies me the opportunity, I won't take it lightly o.lol. Are there pips who have done this with hubby? Please, share your experiences (when u requested for permission and in the labour room)
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by smartmom(f): 9:15pm On Nov 25, 2012
Of course its your right to enter the labour with your wife if it is not a C=section ie. But be prepared to be supportive and strong to her no matter what she does and says ok grin. As you register for antenatal, discuss upfront with the procedures of the hospital.

2 Likes

Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 9:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
Hehehehehe...as in she'll curse me or what? I doubt it. But its no problem at all even if she does. 'Father forgive her for she doesn't know what she's saying' will not be far from my lips.
Thanks a bunch.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by smartmom(f): 11:23am On Nov 26, 2012
winkNaah she wont curse or abuse u, we modern women dont do dat tongue, but beware, she may bite ur finger off when a contraction spasm hits her loovl! but seriously methinks every hubby should stay and 'help'his wife during labour, it increases the respect every woman deserves for each and every delivery!

2 Likes

Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by sucezTP(f): 1:05pm On Nov 26, 2012
It is often said that, if a man enters the labour room when his wife is on labour, there is a probability that she wouldn't deliver the baby on time. Although, i don't know if thats true..
IMO, i will suggest that, a man enters the labour room and watches how his wife goes through pains since they both did it together..on seeing that, he would know how to care for his wife the more..
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by tonym1(m): 1:13pm On Nov 26, 2012
OF COURSE ITS YOUR RIGHT TO ENTER THE LABOUR ROOM, WATCH AND EXPERIENCE THE PAIN WHAT WOMEN GO THROUGH IN LABOUR.

GOD IS GREAT
cheesy
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by smartmom(f): 2:08pm On Nov 26, 2012
sucezTP: It is often said that, if a man enters the labour room when his wife is on labour, there is a probability that she wouldn't deliver the baby on time. Although, i don't know if thats true..
IMO, i will suggest that, a man enters the labour room and watches how his wife goes through pains since they both did it together..on seeing that, he would know how to care for his wife the more..

Ahhh not with me o! on the 2 occasions he was there, the labour went smooth and swift and the bonding with the babies is always instant too. I believe its a unique experience men shouldn't miss out on. It may be the only thing they can lay claim to in the birthing of a child ..eer apart from the initial input that is.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by babyme1(f): 2:11pm On Nov 26, 2012
It's a cool thing for couples to do IMO. My hubby stayed all through, and i bit him twice!
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by sucezTP(f): 4:08pm On Nov 26, 2012
smartmom:

Ahhh not with me o! on the 2 occasions he was there, the labour went smooth and swift and the bonding with the babies is always instant too. I believe its a unique experience men shouldn't miss out on. It may be the only thing they can lay claim to in the birthing of a child ..eer apart from the initial input that is.

Yeah, right!
You said it all..
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by sucezTP(f): 4:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
baby.me:
It's a cool thing for couples to do IMO. My hubby stayed all through, and i bit him twice!

LOL..
Funny you!
Thank God he felt the pains too..
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by drnoel: 11:37pm On Nov 26, 2012
smartmom: Of course its your right to enter the labour with your wife if it is not a C=section ie. But be prepared to be supportive and strong to her no matter what she does and says ok grin. As you register for antenatal, discuss upfront with the procedures of the hospital.
What of if u want to be there for a cs. Who has the right to tell u to stay out? It just depends on the hospital policy, and or if the doctors in charge are comfortable with ur presence there. If u have a rapport with the doctors they may let u in. There are lots of other reasons like, if u won't faint on seeing ur wife screaming with pain and bleeding from her introitus or if u are not afraid of blood.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by drnoel: 11:46pm On Nov 26, 2012
Anoda thing is that, sometimes the nurses and mid wives maltreat the ladies who ate there to give birth. They beat them a lot, while asking them to push. This happens mostly in government hospitals.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by greatgod2012(f): 2:06am On Nov 27, 2012
Of course, its good to be there, afterall, both of u are responsible for d pregnancy, so, being there means u are really concerned about their welfare, i mean,of d mother and d baby. But, truth be told, that is when u patronise d private hospital, except its C.S, that they dont allow d hubby at all, because of d psychological trauma d man may pass thru during d operation. In govt(public) hospital, they dont usually allow men there, because of one or more of d following reasons :
1. D nurses/midwives dont seems to be tolerant at all, except, very few of them.
2. In most instances, there may likely be more than one woman in d labour room, so, men will not be allowed because in there, the women are usually unclad.

4 Likes

Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 6:15am On Nov 27, 2012
smartmom: winkNaah she wont curse or abuse u, we modern women dont do dat tongue, but beware, she may bite ur finger off when a contraction spasm hits her loovl! but seriously methinks every hubby should stay and 'help'his wife during labour, it increases the respect every woman deserves for each and every delivery!
Seriously? Modern women bite? I'll watch out for that...yeah, you're right on point. I'll like to stir up my sense of respect for her.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 6:18am On Nov 27, 2012
sucezTP: It is often said that, if a man enters the labour room when his wife is on labour, there is a probability that she wouldn't deliver the baby on time. Although, i don't know if thats true..
Now, that's a strange rumor. Perhaps applicable to cruel husbands who only come around during labour to pull stunts.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 6:19am On Nov 27, 2012
smartmom:

God bless you for this.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 6:22am On Nov 27, 2012
baby.me:
Lol. Seems you're proud of yourself. Hope the baby bit you twice while breastfeeding too? Hehehehe

1 Like

Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 6:25am On Nov 27, 2012
sucezTP:

LOL..
Funny you!
Thank God he felt the pains too..
He needs not feel the pains cos they are incomparable. Mere witnessing the hues, push, and cries is enough pain for a loving hubby.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by Nobody: 6:29am On Nov 27, 2012
I would love for my hubby to see his first child pop out...hopefully he won't faint though
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 6:31am On Nov 27, 2012
drnoel:
What of if u want to be there for a cs. Who has the right to tell u to stay out? It just depends on the hospital policy, and or if the doctors in charge are comfortable with ur presence there. If u have a rapport with the doctors they may let u in. There are lots of other reasons like, if u won't faint on seeing ur wife screaming with pain and bleeding from her introitus or if u are not afraid of blood.
A man that can't stand his wife scream or the sight of blood has no business in the labour room in the first place. If its a CS, I'd rather not be there cos 'scabashing' mode would have been activated.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by tpia1: 7:14am On Nov 27, 2012
I dont think most nigerian men in nigeria, enter the labour room with their wives, but the few who want to do so, should be allowed to, imo.

However, its not a pretty sight, with all the blood, gore etc as well as the screaming, panting and laboured breaths.

Dont know if most men can stand the sight of their once pretty wife in that condition.

Takes a lot of stamina even for the ones who dont get cursed out or beaten up by the groaning woman.

Besides, like someone mentioned, the staff might not be that friendly.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 27, 2012
tpia1:
Dont know if most men can stand the sight of their once pretty wife in that condition.

why is does everything have to revolve around beauty...if u go broke u wld still expect her to love u regardless, u can't expect unconditional love if u can't give it back in return

5 Likes

Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by youngdady: 10:14am On Nov 27, 2012
I've heard funny stories about men who were so in-love and entered labour room with their wives only to faint or attempt to run out when blood started gushing out. Me, I don't think I want to watch all that process. I'm contented praying for her safe delivery and loving her as much as I can with or without baby delivery.

I can't faint abeg!!! cheesy
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 1:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
mondi_cheeks: why is does everything have to revolve around beauty...if u go broke u wld still expect her to love u regardless, u can't expect unconditional love if u can't give it back in return
I wonder o. In beauty and in 'ugliness' till death do us path. Love transcends fickle emotions. Its a choice, commitment and covenant.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 1:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
youngdady: I've heard funny stories about men who were so in-love and entered labour room with their wives only to faint or attempt to run out when blood started gushing out. Me, I don't think I want to watch all that process. I'm contented praying for her safe delivery and loving her as much as I can with or without baby delivery.

I can't faint abeg!!! cheesy
Don't base your decision just on what you've heard. But then, if you are the type that won't touch 'Medicine and Surgery' with a long pole, then it's wise you stay away. If doctors can stand the sight, why can't I?
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by youngdady: 1:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
bamto:
Don't base your decision just on what you've heard. But then, if you are the type that won't touch 'Medicine and Surgery' with a long pole, then it's wise you stay away. If doctors can stand the sight, why can't I?

You tell me not to base my decision on what I've heard and you go on to say this: If doctors can stand the sight, why can't I?. . . it is well. cheesy

If the bolded part of your post connotes being squeamish, lemmie assure you I'm not. When a loved one is concerned I can't predict my reaction when blood start pouring. . . . Know thyself!!!
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by tpia1: 9:08pm On Nov 27, 2012
mondi_cheeks: why is does everything have to revolve around beauty...if u go broke u wld still expect her to love u regardless, u can't expect unconditional love if u can't give it back in return

Well, men are the ones going on and on about women's beauty, arent they?
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 27, 2012
tpia1:

Well, men are the ones going on and on about women's beauty, arent they?
how does it stop one from loving the person he married if that changed
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by bamto(m): 12:20pm On Nov 28, 2012
youngdady:

You tell me not to base my decision on what I've heard and you go on to say this: If doctors can stand the sight, why can't I?. . . it is well. cheesy

If the bolded part of your post connotes being squeamish, lemmie assure you I'm not. When a loved one is concerned I can't predict my reaction when blood start pouring. . . . Know thyself!!!
Lol. My last statement refers to me. I've seen very dear one lose blood; I've seen others die. Like you said, I know myself- and the reasoning behind that statement 'if doctors can stand the sight, why can't I?'contibuted in shaping my personality.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by yuzedo: 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2012
Huh?! So you want to enter labour room and scope your wife punny abi?! undecided angry
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 28, 2012
Cos some men aint man when they see the pain the woman undergo during labour,they can't withstand the sight,and start crying like baby,and disturb the doctors,and nurse.
Re: Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
Not sure how true this is, husbands are allowed into the Labor room . . . Was there with my wife all the way, even cried!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Husband Ties Me To Tree, Housewife Tells Ibadan Court / Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. / The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.