Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. (12339 Views)

How To Live With a contentious woman / Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? / How Do You "Live" With An Adulterous Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 8:59am On Mar 21, 2012
I know where this thread is heading. Women vs men but i still have to spill it.
When a man go to the market and buy a goat or a dog, he owns the animal. When a man buys a house or a piece of land, he owns it but when a man goes to a woman and pays bride price, ladies will start to shout that he doesnt own her. They will remind us that this is 21st century as if we forgot. I am not saying a man should maltreat his wife or even his dog but ladies should get it.
You are all for sale and when we buy you, we take you to our own families.
Let the war begin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by maclatunji: 9:52am On Mar 21, 2012
ZUBY77: I know where this thread is heading. Women vs men but i still have to spill it.
When a man go to the market and buy a goat or a dog, he owns the animal. When a man buys a house or a piece of land, he owns it but when a man goes to a woman and pays bride price, ladies will start to shout that he doesnt own her. They will remind us that this is 21st century as if we forgot. I am not saying a man should maltreat his wife or even his dog but ladies should get it.
Let the war begin.

@bolded, that is called slavery.

So, you are saying marriage for a woman is slavery.

You my friend are a dictator and you should expect a revolution in your home if you actually practice what you preach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 10:15am On Mar 21, 2012
No, not slavery. Slavery is when you force your subject to do things he or she doesnt want to do. I am talking ownership.

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by maclatunji: 10:28am On Mar 21, 2012
ZUBY77: No, not slavery. Slavery is when you force your subject to do things he or she doesnt want to do. I am talking ownership.

The fact that you talk of ownership automatically connotes slavery. The treatment of a slave is not a factor in determining who a slave is. A person owned by another is a slave for all intent and purposes, if the person likes, let them be an emperor. Once another actually owns them, they are a slave to him/her.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by pemimi(f): 10:30am On Mar 21, 2012
Zuby are you serious....... Ownership..... So what do u think about families or tribes that reject bride price, are your saying their daughters are free commodities( since we all are for sale). Plz what is your definition of ownership
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 10:41am On Mar 21, 2012
pemimi: Zuby are you serious....... Ownership..... So what do u think about families or tribes that reject bride price, are your saying their daughters are free commodities( since we all are for sale). Plz what is your definition of ownership

I am happy this thread is still free of insults.
My definition of ownership is what i paid for. (the simplest definition of it)
Now some towns in the east here will dry your wallet simply because you are marrying their daughter.
I think bride price should be scrapped entirely and replaced with something like a cow or goat or something else, not money.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by pemimi(f): 10:46am On Mar 21, 2012
You didn't answer my 1st question. There are families that don't collect a DIME. Are their daughters free commodities?
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 10:54am On Mar 21, 2012
pemimi: You didn't answer my 1st question. There are families that don't collect a DIME. Are their daughters free commodities?

that one is the true definition of marriage. The other ones are more like acquiring something.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by pemimi(f): 11:08am On Mar 21, 2012
Better......... So I think your topic shd be " Men own SOME women"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 21, 2012
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Knight1(m): 12:34pm On Mar 21, 2012
lol @ CC.

Poster, How much do you think any woman is worth? a few hundred thousand? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Yorisb: 1:15pm On Mar 21, 2012
*Loading...*

Lol
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by charles316: 1:19pm On Mar 21, 2012
lol. so true
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by AZeD1(m): 1:22pm On Mar 21, 2012
Any lady here wanting to be owned
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by chuckdee4(m): 1:23pm On Mar 21, 2012
At OP i understand your beef with families that try to milk you off every penny all in the name of bride price but I think your approach towarsd the issue is wrong. Don't forget the ladies in question have no say on their bride price, i bet you most ladies would rather their husbands not pay a dime for them.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Koolking(m): 1:27pm On Mar 21, 2012
Once anything is bought that automatically becomes the property of the buyer, otherwise the buyer wants or decides to let the property owns him/her. My take is, why cant we do away with the conformist marriage, let women start doing the bargaining and buying then will they understand what it means to place a price tag on them.

Chill folks, am not agreeing to slaving a woman just because you paid a dowry to get her.

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by emmatok(m): 1:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
ZUBY77: I know where this thread is heading. Women vs men but i still have to spill it.
Let the war begin.

Then dowry and bride prize should be abolished.

Why will I pay for a woman, when she will one day file for divorce.

If marriage is partnership, then both couple should come together without any fees or fines attached.

This is also 21st century wink wink wink wink wink

Fair is Fair.

4 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by drnoel: 1:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
Let the war begin.

and one if those threads, make sure u tell ur wife so when u marry her. I am sure she will make sure u sleep on the floor till ur back is sore
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by solgee(m): 1:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
Just passing wil come back later...
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 21, 2012
Men are superior to women and will always be.if you dont believe it,deal with it.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 21, 2012
@OP, you are absolutely right, men own out rightly any woman they paid bride price to marry. If you disagree, go pay for a man's bride price and own him yourself. Its simple, but some men in trying to win feminine admiration started empowering women to the extent that they now say wht a man can do, a woman can do better, what a bulshit?? Women are supposed to be slaves to men! Now come on with your stones, men own all of yaa!! If doubt it, don't marry & lets see!! jeez!

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by GUNZnROSES(m): 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
Let the war begin.

to say the least, your logic is nauseating me because it ridicules reasoning.paying a woman's dowry is customary and a rich cultural nigerian heritage.using the word "SALE" is very worrisome and inhumane

4 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by gegee(m): 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2012
:Pi just wasted precious time reading this thread tongue
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Godmann(m): 1:45pm On Mar 21, 2012
Funny Thread. Truly we are in the twenty-first century and bride price does not make much sense any longer

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ocelot2006(m): 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2012
Well, I think the word "own" is a bit strong as I don't see my wife as my property. Still, I don't run a democracy in MY house, but a benevolent dictatorship, and my wife knows that. Her opinions are always welcomed, but my words and approval are FINAL. Oh, and I don't believe in all that 21st century 50/50 bullshyte. Like my parents, I'm pretty much old school.

4 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Feraz(m): 1:48pm On Mar 21, 2012
chaircover: The bride price is just a token. People are not commodities like houses and Ipads which have a price tag on.

You do not out rightly own a woman simply because you brought some yams and put N50k in an envelope and gave it to her father and I am sure that you will feel the same way in a number of years time when your own daughter is about to get married too.
lmao............ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by lovejo(m): 1:48pm On Mar 21, 2012
I have studied Nigeria marriage tradition a little and i can tell you some family don't take bride price anymore cos of irrational thinking like this, but my alignment to people in Southern Africa makes me know that bride price is must which you have to pay according to their tradition and their ladies are submissive before and after you marry them as if they belong to you only for anything...but 9ja has put 21st century ideology to everything so we can't clearly do what is right or wrong without being told this is 21st century.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by GUNZnROSES(m): 1:48pm On Mar 21, 2012
jobfront: @OP, you are absolutely right, men own out rightly any woman they paid bride price to marry. If you disagree, go pay for a man's bride price and own him yourself. Its simple, but some men in trying to win feminine admiration started empowering women to the extent that they now say wht a man can do, a woman can do better, what a bulshit?? Women are supposed to be slaves to men! Now come on with your stones, men own all of yaa!! If doubt it, don't marry & lets see!! jeez!
jobfront: @OP, you are absolutely right, men own out rightly any woman they paid bride price to marry. If you disagree, go pay for a man's bride price and own him yourself. Its simple, but some men in trying to win feminine admiration started empowering women to the extent that they now say wht a man can do, a woman can do better, what a bulshit?? Women are supposed to be slaves to men! Now come on with your stones, men own all of yaa!! If doubt it, don't marry & lets see!! jeez!

then it is save to say u were brought to this world by a slave

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by achi4u(m): 1:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
chuckdee4: At OP i understand your beef with families that try to milk you off every penny all in the name of bride price but I think your approach towarsd the issue is wrong. Don't forget the ladies in question have no say on their bride price, i bet you most ladies would rather their husbands not pay a dime for them.
true talk my brother.though some villages charged more than the other.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by charlsecy4(m): 1:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
GUNZnROSES:
....paying a woman's dowry bride price is customary and a rich cultural nigerian heritage.......

I think you should see https://www.nairaland.com/896733/bride-price-dowry-whats-difference
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2012
"
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by oradee: 1:54pm On Mar 21, 2012
ZUBY77:

I am happy this thread is still free of insults.
My definition of ownership is what i paid for. (the simplest definition of it)
Now some towns in the east here will dry your wallet simply because you are marrying their daughter.
I think bride price should be scrapped entirely and replaced with something like a cow or goat or something else, not money.

the irony of it all is this...we have come to realise that we value things we purchase with high price tags.
A man wld pamper his 2012 Range sport compared to a tokunbo car he bought at a cheap price.
So its assumed that if he pays highly for the bride price, he wld treat her likewise.
The definition of marriage Mr Zubi isnt bordered on whether u paid highly for the bride price or not...
*some men do have a crazy way of thinking* undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don't I Have The Right To Be In Labour Room With My Wife? / My Husband Ties Me To Tree, Housewife Tells Ibadan Court / The Most Traumatic Experience You Ever Suffered In Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.