Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General (7642 Views)

Male Rape Cases In Nigeria Should Be Taken Seriously / 90% Of The World Population Which Is About To Be Destroy By The Illuminati,freemansonry,skull And Bo / Washington Woman Admits Acid Attack Was Self-inflicted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Ptimes: 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
Violence against women is a dreadfully brutal and pervasive crime. In many countries, those who are responsible for preventing, eliminating and ensuring accountability for it mostly fail to recognize it as such, tolerate it or simply blame the victims for being violated. On the 31st Anniversary of the International Day of Action on Violence against Women – 25 November – law enforcement and public officers in Nigeria must commit to a programme of action to change this.

On Friday, 23 November 2012, I attended a workshop of the International Association of Women Judges at the conferenceViolence against women is a dreadfully brutal and pervasive crime. In many countries, those who are responsible for preventing, eliminating and ensuring accountability for it mostly fail to recognize it as such, tolerate it or simply blame the victims for being violated. On the 31st Anniversary of the International Day of Action on Violence against Women – 25 November – law enforcement and public officers in Nigeria must commit to a programme of action to change this.

On Friday, 23 November 2012, I attended a workshop of the International Association of Women Judges at the conference room of the High Court of Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory in Abuja. The theme of the conference was “Sextortion”. Its aim was to call attention to the various forms of sexual exploitation that women suffer in the public space and inspire a committed search for how the judiciary and the legal process take action to diminish and ultimately eliminate this.

Present at the workshop were senior judges of all the Superior Courts in Nigeria, including High Courts, the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court as well as some international judicial experts. The conference showcased the progress that women have made in Nigeria’s legal profession as well as the considerable amount of work that is still needed to eliminate historical discrimination against women in the legal profession and the wider country.

The afternoon panel discussion featured three presentations respectively by a Nigerian judge, a Tanzanian judge and this writer explaining the concept of sextortion, illustrating its various dimensions and offering suggestions as to how to address it. The session was moderated by a recently retired Justice of the Nigerian Supreme Court.

In response to the panel ‘s presentations, Katsina State Attorney-General, Alhaji Ibrahim Dan-Soho, who was also present at the meeting, offered a spirited defence of “men” and a shocking plea for tolerance of the levels of gratuitous sexual violence in our country. During the course of this prolonged allocutus, the Honorable Attorney-General asserted that “rape is self-inflicted….in at least 90% of cases.”

Three different participants at the meeting, including this writer, publicly pointed out to the Honorable Attorney-General the egregious baselessness of his claim, the obvious insensitivity of it and the clearly adverse implications for victims of rape and other sexual violence in Katsina State, and requested him to withdraw it. He failed to acknowledge this request.

Rape is a vile crime of violence against mostly – but not necessarily or exclusively – women. It grossly violates the physical integrity and dignity of its victims, causes serious damage to public and reproductive health, and injures social cohesion. It is, therefore, evidently outrageous for anyone to say or suggest that such a crime is self-inflicted or to blame the crime on its victims.

Every criminal justice system has a basic obligation not just to recognize rape and similar sexual violence as the vile crime that it is but also to ensure that it is effectively punished. Even in situations of conflict, rape is now well established as a war crime. Victims of such crimes are entitled to expect the state to treat the crime of rape seriously and to provide the necessary care and support to enable them survive its lingering and most damaging consequences.

Victims or survivors of rape in Katsina State, for instance, have no hope of such support, care, remedies or accountability if or where the Chief Law Officer of the territory takes the view that a crime of this seriousness is self-inflicted. This attitude further victimizes survivors of sexual violence and violates the political and legal obligation on government to protect its entire people equally by providing effective remedies for such crimes.

This is why most victims will suffer in silence rather than report rape. It is also why the attitude reflected in the statement by Attorney-General Dan-Soho is a danger to public safety and security. Any Chief Law Officer that harbours this view has a duty to re-consider his position as such because this is fundamentally incompatible with the functions and primary responsibilities of the Attorney-General.

It is worth recalling that since 1981, November 25 has been commemorated globally as the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. In December 1999, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 54/134 formally recognizing this day as such. The International Day is instituted in memory of the sacrifice of the Mirabal Sisters – Patria Mercedes, Maria Argentina Minerva, and Antonia Maria Teresa – persecuted and ultimately assassinated by suspected agents of the regime of Rafael Trujillo in the Dominican Republic on 25 November, 1961.

The globally recognized 16 Days of Activism on Violence against Women also begins this week. In recognition of the multiple dimensions of sexual and other forms of violence against women, the 16 Days of Activism include the International Day of Action on Violence against Women and World HIV/AIDS Day on December 1, and ends with the International Human Rights Day on 10 December.

On this beginning of 16 Days of Activism on Violence against Women, law officers and leaders – like Attorney-General Dan-Soho – must do more and take clear action to address the multi-dimensional problem of violence against women.

Present at the workshop were senior judges of all the Superior Courts in Nigeria, including High Courts, the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court as well as some international judicial experts. The conference showcased the progress that women have made in Nigeria’s legal profession as well as the considerable amount of work that is still needed to eliminate historical discrimination against women in the legal profession and the wider country.

Read more: http://premiumtimesng.com/opinion/108607-katsina-attorney-general-and-his-warped-dangerous-logic-on-rape-by-chidi-anselm-odinkalu.html
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by UnknownMember: 3:38pm On Nov 26, 2012
IN CONCLUSION: Katsina State Has a person for an Attorney General.. angry

14 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 26, 2012
what do you expect from an aboki's speech? am not surprised at all! afterall he doesnt have regard for women.smh!

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by ujoatu(m): 3:45pm On Nov 26, 2012
no pl, understand the man. a woman follows a man home she met on facebook with no prior knowledge of who she is going home with (remember cynthia osokogu). ITS SELF-INFLICTED BRO
Unknown Member: IN CONCLUSION: Katsina State Has a person for an Attorney General.. angry

5 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2012
ujoatu: no pl, understand the man. a woman follows a man home she met on facebook with no prior knowledge of who she is going home with (remember cynthia osokogu). ITS SELF-INFLICTED BRO

You made a very good point broda!

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by hannydarl(f): 3:51pm On Nov 26, 2012
Where he comes from women are tied to the door post. If you go out and get "motestationed" naim be say na your fault.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by ebamma3: 3:52pm On Nov 26, 2012
Aboki na ram

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by UnknownMember: 3:54pm On Nov 26, 2012
ujoatu: no pl, understand the man. a woman follows a man home she met on facebook with no prior knowledge of who she is going home with (remember cynthia osokogu). ITS SELF-INFLICTED BRO

[b]What percentage of women are r@ped like that?!

- A small girl selling bread is lured into an uncompleted building by a man, r@ped and then we turn and blame the girl?!

- A female student is held at gun point, r@ped by multiple men and we blame the girl?

- Armed robbers break into a mans house and sexually assault his daughters and we blame the girls?!

- H0rny policemen storm a prostitution area, arrest the girls, r@pe and release them and we say its the girls fault?!

- A young innocent naive girl goes to visit an older man whom she considers a friend, he then assaults and r@pes her and its her fault?!

- A mother in the name of worshipping God allows her little daughter around a pervert disguised as a Pastor and in the end she is r@ped and we blame the girl?!

- A girl goes out with guys that she calls 'friends', her drink is spiked and when she gets drowsy, she gets r@ped and its her fault?!

- A prostitute sef that follows a guy to his house and after negotiating the rate, finds it unfavourable and decides to leave, and is inturn forced to have sex against her will, and its her fault?! Really?!

What exactly is your point?! That women ask to be r@ped or what?! Even a man who is married, if he is halfway through forplay and his wife says no, he has no right to force himself on her. A girl that is provocatively dressed isnt asking to be r@ped either..

MEN NEED TO exercise self control..

The Attorney General of Katsina is still a person.[/b]

29 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
Unknown Member: IN CONCLUSION: Katsina State Has a person for an Attorney General.. angry
Okija juju/Mad Cow?

5 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by hannydarl(f): 3:57pm On Nov 26, 2012

True talk sha in some cases but not 90%. But not to give men the idea that any lady that follows them home must be raped.
Make them warn our women and girls too. Its unwritten law by Nigerian men that if they buy you drinks and you follow them anywhere you are asking to be raped and this judge will say its your fault. No wonder they rub the heads of rapists and peodophiles in the north these days and slam them with small fine for wasting the judges time to judge rape case wen e be say na the woman/child enjoy the rape.
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by solbil: 3:57pm On Nov 26, 2012
i understand the victims also and sometimes have a role in cases like these, but the issue with blaming them is; we trivialize the gravity of the offence commited by the perpetrators. We make the perpetrators feel like they gave to the victims what they deserved.

Note that i used "victim" and not "women" . Women are not only victims of things like this. I think we shouldnt be celebrating any world day for violence against women. Instead we should be trying to eliminate all kinds of violence what so ever
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by navygrl: 3:58pm On Nov 26, 2012
date rape makes up a very small percentage of rapes. Regardless if a woman does accompany a man to his flat, if she says no the answer is no. If a male takes that to mean anything other than no the blame is on him. If he sleeps with her while drunk or drugged she is incapable of giving concent under the law and it is ALWAYS an assumed no. Taking by force or persuaders is rape and the blame is on the male (or the female if roles are reversed)

3 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by BJ4REEL(m): 3:58pm On Nov 26, 2012
[color=#000000][/color]
And that's a supposed law officer of a state.....
Maybe 20 boko harams should violate his daughter,then lets see whether he'd be willing to rephrase d inane thrash he vomitted......e.g 'my daughter inflicted it on herself'....

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by mca795: 3:58pm On Nov 26, 2012
Hmm men won turn hegoats o women make una go buy dat pant we get padlock
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by UnknownMember: 4:00pm On Nov 26, 2012
ItsModella:
Okija juju/Mad Cow?

Who is that/those?! undecided
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by nedu2000(m): 4:00pm On Nov 26, 2012
Y don't we have a day of violence against men,are we not all equal.....anyways, I don't agree with the attorney-general on this one,women r the weaker sex,at least physically
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by beebop(f): 4:04pm On Nov 26, 2012
Well over 90% of sexual assault victims and domestic violence victims are women. By any standards, in any country, women are disproportionately victims of sexual assault. Eliminating violence against women (if that is ever possible) will eliminate the VAST majority of violence. Women have been marginalized for so long especially by nincompoops like that donkey Attorney General. One day to recognize the fact does not negate the fact that all forms of violence is abhorrent.

solbil: i understand the victims also and sometimes have a role in cases like these, but the issue with blaming them is; we trivialize the gravity of the offence commited by the perpetrators. We make the perpetrators feel like they gave to the victims what they deserved.

Note that i used "victim" and not "women" . Women are not only victims of things like this. I think we shouldnt be celebrating any world day for violence against women. Instead we should be trying to eliminate all kinds of violence what so ever
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by ypzilanti: 4:04pm On Nov 26, 2012
Saying a woman brought rape upon herself by being at the wrong place at the wrong time is just blaming the victim.

At the same time, if you met a woman that behaved as if she was paranoid and obsessed with the thought that you might want to r@pe her, you would think she was crazy.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by BJ4REEL(m): 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2012
ItsModella:
Okija juju/Mad Cow?
detective?? ..lol
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by navygrl: 4:08pm On Nov 26, 2012
This is one of the reasons I divorced my exhusband. He admitted to me that he gangraped 4 girls for refusing to have sex with him or a friend and saw nothing wrong with it. Said they were punishing the girls. As a rape survivor myself I cannot allow such a person to be near my children.

8 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 26, 2012
You are talking about a man from a section of the country where minor children are deemed ripe for marriage.
Why should anyone be surprised at his utterances?

4 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
navygrl: This is one of the reasons I divorced my exhusband. He admitted to me that he gangraped 4 girls for refusing to have sex with him or a friend and saw nothing wrong with it. Said they were punishing the girls. As a rape survivor myself I cannot allow such a person to be near my children.

Good for you for removing yourself from that curse
He will meet his match someday and enter the one that he will enter and come out with potopoto that cannot be wiped off by a handkerchief
When calamities befall some families,they wonder where it came from.Sometimes it is the blood and tears of all the people they have hurt crying out for vengeance.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Tonitelli: 4:17pm On Nov 26, 2012
Unknown Member:

- A small girl selling bread is lured into an uncompleted building by a man, r@ped and then we turn and blame the girl?!

- A female student is held at gun point, r@ped by multiple men and we blame the girl?

- Armed robbers break into a mans house and sexually assault his daughters and we blame the girls?!

- H0rny policemen storm a prostitution area, arrest the girls, r@pe and release them and we say its the girls fault?!

- A young innocent naive girl goes to visit an older man whom she considers a friend, he then assaults and r@pes her and its her fault?!

- A mother in the name of worshipping God allows her little daughter around a pervert disguised as a Pastor and in the end she is r@ped and we blame the girl?!

- A girl goes out with guys that she calls 'friends', her drink is spiked and when she gets drowsy, she gets r@ped and its her fault?!

- A prostitute sef that follows a guy to his house and after negotiating the rate, finds it unfavourable and decides to leave, and is inturn forced to have sex against her will, and its her fault?! Really?!

What exactly is your point?! That women ask to be r@ped or what?! Even a man who is married, if he is halfway through forplay and his wife says no, he has no right to force himself on her. A girl that is provocatively dressed isnt asking to be r@ped either..

Guy!!!U have spoken well....!!!what nonsense...'self-inflicted'!!!whats that supposed to mean U have absolutely no right to take sexual advantage of someone else when u do not have that person's permission...whether the person is walking around totally naked or not...if she doesn't consent,stick ur weapon of mass destruction in ur bunker!!!
I totally agree..that attorney general is a person..
And I'm sure he's taken advantage of some girl or lady many times...probably has a harem made up of them..

-
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by zebudaya(m): 4:18pm On Nov 26, 2012
navygrl: This is one of the reasons I divorced my exhusband. He admitted to me that he gangraped 4 girls for refusing to have sex with him or a friend and saw nothing wrong with it. Said they were punishing the girls. As a rape survivor myself I cannot allow such a person to be near my children.

You did well.
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:18pm On Nov 26, 2012
I don't see why people are surprised! 90% of the cases are truly self-inflicted. A true Muslim beats his wife with care that marks may not be obvious. wink grin grin
On the real though. Women in Nigeria face a lot of physical abuse from Men especially in a society where religion encourages women to be submissive, docile and under-foot in a male-dominated Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by zebudaya(m): 4:19pm On Nov 26, 2012
Why does nairaland call r|ape molestation? which kin yeye term be that

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 26, 2012

Good for you. He is a sociopath.
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by ypzilanti: 4:21pm On Nov 26, 2012
Once had to talk a female friend out of a potential rape situation that she found herself in by joining a guy she knew for a free ride home. She suddenly realized the wahala she had entered by the time the guy detoured to go pick 'something'.

When she had a moment alone, she called me...she suspected trouble, but was not sure what to do because she wanted to still give the guy the benefit of doubt even as she found herself in a strange house, in a strange surrounding.

I told her to just run out of that place and not give a damn what the guy thought. Better to err on side of caution. These things happen. We all make poor decisions or refuse to listen to the little voice that tells us there is danger ahead. that does not mean that we deserve to be r@ped or murdered for our oversight.

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 26, 2012
Unknown Member:

You are on the money! Excellent!
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by yumsty: 4:44pm On Nov 26, 2012
if he had said 10%.then i ll agree
Re: 90% Of Rape Cases Are Self-inflicted - Katsina Attorney General by Hima(f): 4:45pm On Nov 26, 2012
angryDoes that mean when a man follows an unknown girl somewhere and she pulls a gun on him, robs him of all his cash and probably get some guys who are waiting for her by the corner to beat him to the point of death, its the man's fault?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help A Nairalander Win Samsung Photo Contest / Some Mind Blowing Facts About Coca-Cola You Don't Know. / Rich And Sassy Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.