Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,897 members, 7,844,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua (1028 Views)

“stealing Is Now Corruption” – President-elect Muhammudu Buhari / Stealing Is Corruption: President Goodluck Jonathan / Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by Colonia(m): 3:24pm On Feb 09, 2008
President Yar’Adua has said that Nigeria's determination to eradicate corruption will take a long time to achieve and the country has many years to realise the great potential of its natural and physical endowments.

He also said he has absolute faith in the ability of Nigerians to overcome the nation’s present challenges.

The President said, “We are yet to overcome the bogeys of mindless corruption, sectionalism, ethnicity, religious bigotry, self-serving politics of intolerance and lack of commitment to national ideals.

“Our leaders, political, religious and secular, alike are a long way from imbibing and institutionalizing a culture founded on the tenets of equity, justice, fairness, inclusiveness, good people-centred governance and the fear of God.”

The president who was represented by the Vice President maintained that though the country had what it takes to achieve greatness, what is required was a dedicated, focused and courageous leadership with a clear re-generational roadmap.

He said his government has outlined a roadmap to Nigeria’s restoration in its seven-point agenda under the broad headings of critical infrastructural development; human capital development; wealth creation, food security; land tenure changes and home ownership; the Niger Delta; and national security.

And the agenda were anchored on absolute respect for the rule of law and entrenchment of transparency and accountability in the conduct of government business.

He urged Nigerians to look inwards and search their souls with a view to determining how committed they had been to the national ideals.

The guest speaker, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, said the worst enemies of Nigeria’s federalism were those who “speak of federalism, but act in a unitary fashion by brushing aside the divisions of power between different levels of the federation.”

He said that since independence, Nigeria had been facing the challenge of crafting a constitutional arrangement that had the backing of an overwhelming majority of its citizens.

“Federalism has faced a stiff challenge over the years from those wanting a unitary form of government on the one hand and from those wanting a con-federal arrangement, on the other, ” he said.

He asked, “What is the appropriate and just basis for sharing revenue? Should the federal government have the right to deduct monies due to the states without their permission?

“Should state governments continue to control local government allocations?”

He added that Nigeria needed to evolve a system of leadership selection and accountability capable of producing leaders that could confront the challenges facing it.

Gambari said, “The standard for the recruitment and performance of our individual leaders over the years have left much to be desired.”

“We do not need leaders who see themselves as champions of only some sections of our population. We do not need leaders who do not understand the economic and political problems of the country, not to talk of finding durable solutions to them.

“We do not need leaders who are more interested in silencing their opponent than pursuing justice

http://www.ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php?nid=5964
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by BigB11(m): 4:09pm On Feb 09, 2008
Yes, the president has spoken the word of wisdom, mostly saying what we want to hear, but failed to keep it real.
No disrespect, but war against corruption in Nigerian society will be an everlasting fight.
Why?
This is because corruption has become our ways of life; it is embedded in our soul, it is almost like fresh air that circulate around us. Without it we can not survive.
Therefore, we must be serious with the fight or else the outcome of this everlasting war against corruption in Nigeria will also be CORRUPTION wearing a different face mask and dancing to the same music!

You got it?

This is why I'm confident to continue to say that there isn't any other solution to effectively and efficiently fight corruption in Nigeria better than my recommendation.

[b]Solution to corruption in Nigeria:

I will put together a group of 50 independent delegates from everywhere in Nigeria, with substantial clearances. Their job is to identify each and every government official that stole from 1980 through 2007.
For a successful outcome, names of these individuals will be made confidential. How much each stole will also be determined.

Each individual will be privately contacted; based on how much individual stole, money to be returned back to Nigeria Federal Government will be determined. All identified corrupt individuals have an option to return specified amount of money with absolutely no question or face uncompromising punishment.
Deadline to return this specified amount of money will also be specified.

After the expiration of the deadline, all individual that cooperated will be pardoned immediately by the Federal Government; while the names of the rest that refused to cooperate will be revealed to the public and they will also be severely punished (eg. 20 years in federal prison and all their accumulated properties will be confiscated by the Federal Government).

Finally, our Constitution will be reviewed and revised.
From Oct 30, 2008, any individual caught engaging in any corruption activities (regardless of the scale) will be executed at his or her home town.

I will also announce vigorously to the entire country that scapegoat is desperately needed.
Guys: That will be the end of corruption in Nigeria; and new Nigeria will be born in a very short period.
Then, we will all witness the real career dedicated politicians, while the business politicians/ business police men will dissolve one at a time

With love, Big B1[/b].

Anything else will be absolutely a waste of money, time and an indirect continuation of corruption in Nigeria, trust me!
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by LadyT(f): 4:17pm On Feb 09, 2008
Everyone should shut up and sit down. When they bring Atiku, Babaginda, Tinubu and others to book then we will know they are serious about corruption,
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by BigB11(m): 4:41pm On Feb 09, 2008
All the politicians and leaders know the real solution, but nobody is willing to initiate it.
Why?
Too many are Too corrupt for[b]Too[/b] long

Well, as the president of Nigeria, I will lay a good example by being the first citizen to return stolen money back to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
This action of mine will also send positive message to the entire country that we mean business.
But the problem in Nigeria today is "no one is willing to claim the responsibility" They just don't have the balls and the heart to come out clean and honestly contribute to the elevation of this nation.

We have money and we continue to make a lot of money every single day; absolutely there is no excuse on this planet for having poor power and water supply in country full of all kinds of capabilities like NIGERIA.

Trust me, they clearly know the solution to all our problems, but lack the heart to execute them.

In order for us to move forward smoothly, the car needs a new battery, but our leaders are only focusing on changing the cotton sits in the car to leather sits for their comfort, while they continue to ignore the obvious reason why the car is not working.
But what they refuse to understand is "they can continue to change the car sits for their comfort, but they will also continue to look retarded as long as the car remains stationary"

My point: Our leaders have intentionally disregarded the priority chart or blue print, which is required to effectively and efficiently develop our country; and this is a big shame.
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by Colonia(m): 4:52pm On Feb 09, 2008
I do not really have faith in any of these government to implement your idea Mr BIG b1, but maybe someday we will have the leadership that will establish less corrupt society. Corruption in Nigeria started way back and it is now part of our culture , We all just need to stand up and make sacrificies . We should do whatever we can do on our own part to discourage corruption no matter what. Having said that we nigerians learn by example if the governmennt come clean and establish a strict punishment to discourage corruption things will change gradually. My whole idea is, you cannot be fighting corruption when you have PHD in the game.
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On Feb 09, 2008
Colonia:

I do not really have faith in any of these government to implement your idea Mr BIG b1, but maybe someday we will have the leadership that will establish less corrupt society. Corruption in Nigeria started way back and it is now part of our culture , We all just need to stand up and make sacrificies . We should do whatever we can do on our own part to discourage corruption no matter what. Having said that we nigerians learn by example if the governmennt come clean and establish a strict punishment to discourage corruption things will change gradually. My whole idea is, you cannot be fighting corruption when you have PHD in the game.

Would you people please stop saying that corruption is now a part of our culture?? No it is not. I mean just cause it is rampant does not meant it is a part of our culture and that to me is the first step in dealing with this issue. You talk to someone about eradicating corruption in Nigeria and the next thing the person tells you is that you do not know anything about Nigeria for making that statement. That is rubbish!! What is corruption?? Crime. How do you deal with it?? Put in place serious purnishments that will disourage those who are currently involved from going ahead with it and also clean up the notion that it is a hopeless situation in Nigeria. Nothing is part of our culture in this. I am for execution being purnishment for the crime. Make some examples and watch how Nigerians will run the other way. We live in a currently filled mostly with people who are cowards to the bone. You execute a couple of the big league criminals and offer rewards to those who catch others and Boom,  instant turn around. I remember back in the days when Environmental Sanitation programs used to be in place in that country. At first, people thought it was a joke but after the arrest and punishment of a few people, before long, the whole country was on board. LMAO!!! Even the Agbero's would take their time to clean up their buses and areas.
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by oldie(m): 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2008
I think it is an insult to think corruption is part of our culture
A very good excuse not to fight it totally
Our leaders carry too many baggages to fight this cancer
The war can be fought and won by "revolution" not by the rule of law or by our present constitution
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by Colonia(m): 9:31pm On Feb 09, 2008
When i say corruption is now part of our culture , i meant that it should not have been there . But  i am telling the truth Most people follow what they see . We glorify people that atttain so called success through corrupt practises. Crooks ,Drug dealers get  tittles easily , they run the town, poeple hail them . If we all frown at such actions maybe this will send a message that you cannot be stealing and expect us to be hailing you. But there is hope , if only we put our differences apart and fight corruption in our  society. We have discussed corruption all these years, a drastic measure has to be put in place. I know we all try , but we need to do something that will really chage everybody mind set.
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by McKren(m): 9:44pm On Feb 09, 2008
I don't think those who assert that corruption is almost becoming a culture in our society should appologize for that
So tell me how has corruption not eaten into our culture when the campaign of the present President of the country was funded with proceeds of corruption
How has corruption not eaten into our culture when the process that brought most of our elected officials to power including President, Governors and Senators are questionable??

We need to face the harsh realities.
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by LadyT(f): 9:57pm On Feb 09, 2008
Yes corruption has been made into our culture. The police demand money for stupid reasons. People die in hospitals because they cant afford the stupid fees. To get ahead you have to know the right people. Should I carry on? We are not known as 419'ers for no reason. We have a disgusting attitude of not wanting to work but being as rich as possible the only way we know how is fraud.

419 = Nigeria
yahoo yahoo = Nigeria
Bribes for positions = Nigeria
shut up money = Nigeria

We need to change but the only way is too see our errors
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by BigB11(m): 11:03pm On Feb 09, 2008
It is simple and clear.
Save money, save time and save innocent lives; Just introduce uncompromising capital punishment.

That is the only way, trust me!
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by BigB11(m): 11:11pm On Feb 09, 2008
I guarantee you that the execution of couple of the convicted corrupt citizens (scapegoats) in their various home towns will send a clear message to the entire country. This action will also cut down corruption activities in Nigeria by 89% in just 3 months.

Anything else will be waste of time, while the thieves get fatter!
Re: We Have A Long Way To Go To Stamp Out Corruption – President Yar’adua by BigB11(m): 11:19pm On Feb 09, 2008
Facts:

During OBJ and his house boy (Ribadu) era, corruption was reduced by only 1.8%
After OBJ's house boy (Ribadu) was sent to school, corruption in Nigeria has been reduced by 3.5%; which in my book is still not effective and efficient enough.

With the implementation of my recommendation, my friends, we will witness 89% reduction of corruption in Nigeria within 3 months.

I guarantee you!

(1) (Reply)

Reps Power Probe: Serious Business Or Damaging Ego Trip? / Zuma Win! / I Want To Become The President In The Year 2027

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.