Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,252 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan (16290 Views)

You Encourage Corruption By Providing Safe Haven For Stolen Funds, Buhari Tells / Don’t Encourage Corruption, APC Cautions Sultan, Oritsejafor, Kukah, Others / “stealing Is Now Corruption” – President-elect Muhammudu Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by segzytemi(m): 8:46am On Sep 18, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan has lamented that in spite of institutional reforms aimed at fighting corrupt practices, Nigerians, through their actions encourage graft.

He also said both the public and private sectors were involved in corruption but stated that he would not give out their names “so that I won’t be attacked.”

The President spoke while declaring open the 54th annual conference of the Nigerian Economic Society in Abuja on Tuesday.

The conference, which has as its theme, “Institutions, institutional reforms and economic development,” is the single largest gathering of economists in the country.

Jonathan argued that if Nigerians did not “reward corrupt practices” through their actions, those involved in them would have no need to continue.

He said, “I want a society where all of us will frown upon people who come up with what they are not supposed to have.

“(If) a young man who just started a job and within six months or a year comes up with a car of N7m to N15m and you clap for him, then you are rewarding corruption.

“So for us as a nation to bring corruption down, it is not just blaming government or blaming the police. but all individuals must frown upon people who have what they are not supposed to have; who live in houses they are not supposed to live in; who drive cars they are not supposed to drive and who wear expensive suits they are not supposed to wear.

“And until Nigerians are able to do this, I don’t think we will get to where we want to go.”

Advising that the war against corruption should not be left to the government alone, Jonathan said both public and private institutions were also involved in sharp practice.

He advised that the country should stop creating an environment where people would be tempted to take what belonged to the public.

The President said “ When you talk about corruption, the private sector is involved; the public sector is involved; even individuals. But I wouldn’t want to mention names so that I will not be attacked.

“But I know that if collectively we don’t reward corruption, people would not be attracted to corrupt practices but when we all reward corruption, then of course, we will be tempted to go in that direction.”

He however said his administration would continue to focus on how to strengthen all anti-corruption agencies to enable them discharge their duties effectively.

Jonathan explained that his administration’s approach to fighting graft was targeted at building institutions that had the capacity to overcome corrupt influences.

This approach, according to him, will use the rule of law as a framework.

In this regard, he said the leadership of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other-Related Offences Commission had been repositioned to ensure effective, efficient and transparent way of managing corruption and corrupt practices.

He said that a major principle underlying the implementation of his transformation agenda was the unwavering conviction that reforms must not be centred on individuals, no matter how strong they might be.

Rather, he said his administration recognised the fact that in order for reforms to be sustainable, they must be driven by strong, sound and effective processes and institutions.

On the management of government finances, Jonathan said that the nation’s budget was now being managed electronically.

He said, “For many years, the process had been manual – government officials carrying documents and files from one office to another.

“This manual system created opportunities for corrupt practices and also introduced many ghost workers and ghost pensioners to the payrolls.

“Today, we have put in place computerised systems and processes to manage the government payroll and also government finances.”

At the event, the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and a former Minister of Health, Prof Eyitayo Lambo, were conferred with a fellowship award of the NES.

The institute had only conferred its fellowship award on 38 distinguished economists in its 56 years of existence.

http://www.punchng.com/news/nigerians-encourage-corruption-jonathan/

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by eagleeye2: 8:50am On Sep 18, 2013
mtsheeeeeeeeeew.

24 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by TechRev: 8:53am On Sep 18, 2013
segzytemi:
President Goodluck Jonathan has lamented that in spite of institutional reforms aimed at fighting corrupt practices, Nigerians, through their actions encourage graft.
He also said both the public and private sectors were involved in corruption but stated that he would not give out their names “so that I won’t be attacked.”
The President spoke while declaring open the 54th annual conference of the Nigerian Economic Society in Abuja on Tuesday.
The conference, which has as its theme, “Institutions, institutional reforms and economic development,” is the single largest gathering of economists in the country.
Jonathan argued that if Nigerians did not “reward corrupt practices” through their actions, those involved in them would have no need to continue.
He said, “I want a society where all of us will frown upon people who come up with what they are not supposed to have.
“(If) a young man who just started a job and within six months or a year comes up with a car of N7m to N15m and you clap for him, then you are rewarding corruption.
“So for us as a nation to bring corruption down, it is not just blaming government or blaming the police. but all individuals must frown upon people who have what they are not supposed to have; who live in houses they are not supposed to live in; who drive cars they are not supposed to drive and who wear expensive suits they are not supposed to wear.
“And until Nigerians are able to do this, I don’t think we will get to where we want to go.”

“But I know that if collectively we don’t reward corruption, people would not be attracted to corrupt practices but when we all reward corruption, then of course, we will be tempted to go in that direction.”

@bolded its so true. A society that rewards money no matter how it was acquired can never fight corruption!

18 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Tayeni(m): 9:00am On Sep 18, 2013
Presidential pardon he gave? What was dt all about? I might b with him on other issues.....but he negated his speech when he gave dt pardon to Alam.

57 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Well...it's not like he's wrong.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by VirginFinder: 9:06am On Sep 18, 2013
Spot on!

Nigerians are extremely corrupt and enjoy it. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 18, 2013
Tayeni: Presidential pardon he gave? What was dt all about? I might b with him on other issues.....but he negated his speech when he gave dt pardon to Alam.
Alams completed his jail term and asked for forgiveness but that doesn't free Jonathan from being atlest 5% corrupt.
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by gerald09(m): 9:16am On Sep 18, 2013
Nigerians are not ready for change in corruption practises. Imagine a country where people try to fight corruption and the people support does dat are found guilty and persecute does that are trying to fight the corruption.
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Rexphobia(m): 9:23am On Sep 18, 2013
No be like.

Corruption in Nigeria is institutionalized. You will rather offer bribe than do things the right way.

For instance,

1. Settle Law enforcement agents than visit their office
2. Admission racketeering
3. Pay to get your license, international passport, etc in 48hrs than queue under the scourging sun and wait for eternity for issuance.

I can go on and on. We have all in one way of the other been actively or otherwise involved in corruption.

Our system currently supports corruption. We need to start the reforms from there.

Uncle Jo is only exposing some of the lapses and we want to kill him already. He didn't start this process.

I no say him sef no get him own o, him hand sef dirty wella.

Safe

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by 1bunne4lif(m): 9:23am On Sep 18, 2013
Ok
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by MyOpinion1(f): 9:24am On Sep 18, 2013
The love for money is d genesis of *capital C* if nah lie ask Bode G, Ibori, Debo Ajimuda, Alamesegha, Tukur pikin and d list continue, nd as 4 encouraging nah mtchèeew cus without motion no debate, if our politrikcians did not reccomend, organise, rearrange,propangate,implement, compose, reconstruct et al corruption, there wouldn't have bn sometin called *corruption encouragement*
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by damibravo(m): 9:25am On Sep 18, 2013
Simple Philosophy...

Premise 1- Nigerians Encourage Corruption
Premise 2- GEJ is the number one Nigerian...

Conclusion.............

can someone help me with that

48 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by kabba7(m): 9:25am On Sep 18, 2013
One can now understand why he is so corrupt.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by ddeola: 9:26am On Sep 18, 2013
Nigerians encourage corruption abi ! And that is why people like you are still in government. If not you would have resigned long ago or even be impeached by the national assembly but for the corruption "thngzs" of your party and the legislators, you are still there and even have the audacity to seek re-election. What da ****!

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by israel007: 9:26am On Sep 18, 2013
The ones that have been reported, tried and convicted and yet left to go after paying 1500 naira should be brought and used as an example.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by kstyle2(m): 9:27am On Sep 18, 2013
Tru.i cudnt agree more...itz stil nigerians who giv policemen bribr on d road,na dem stil dey sort lecturers nsleep wit dem,na dem stil dey say u go pay money b4 u get job,na dem dey folo rig elections,na dem dey destroy transformers wey govt manage put,na dem dey say mak we emulate ibori...d truth is dat we r our own enemies....we knw our problem,we knw we hav problems,we knw hw 2 solve it but hav turned a blind eye 2 it...wel i dunno hw itz gonna hapn or wen it wil hapn,but i knw say 1 day e go beta

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 18, 2013
ok
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by wellmax(m): 9:28am On Sep 18, 2013
Q: Why is corruption so rampant in Nigeria?
GEJ: Nigerians encourage corruption
Q: Are you a Nigerian?
GEJ:

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Davo93(m): 9:29am On Sep 18, 2013
Fact! I expect some people to start drawing out a lot of criticism out from this simple and lucid statement.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by ifedayogal(f): 9:30am On Sep 18, 2013
Politics is a very dirty and complicatd game...anyone in it will b involved in corruption one way or d oda...so wen u wanna CHECK corruption...u start from URSELF...jo na tan check ursef
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 18, 2013
removed
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Akshow: 9:30am On Sep 18, 2013
How have u as a president discourage it? By ur brazen wanton waste of public funds? Or ur wife's flagrant waste and abuse of power n money? Abi na d thiefing ministers n excos wey dey ur cabinet na him we wan talk? Yeah nigerians are corrupt n if we want a change start from d top n work it down. U can't continue preaching abt corruption wen u dine n wine with it mr fisherman president.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 18, 2013
Huh! Really?

Me: He's right afterall...

My mind: Yea! But what will you say of a man who eats 2billion naira food in a year and buys newspapers worth 4.2 billion naira plus fleets of presidential cars, jets and careless about university students' welfare?

Me: Well damn!

My mind: That's it, if the head is corrupt, definitely the whole system will be too...

Me: Are you saying he's without such sin?

My mind: He made a mistake by casting the first stone when he isn't clean either...

Remember, despite miss froggy eyes' petroleum subsidy money scandals, why is she still there?

Me: Enough! Once he promised us white electric bulbs to help conserve energy, but we are yet to see it. Not forgetting about the buses he promised each local govts in time of subsidy removal, we haven't seen that either.

My mind: He's the no. 1 corrupt Nigerian for now.

Me: Madam! Pls I need two cup cakes and a bottle of Soya milk.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by uken73(m): 9:31am On Sep 18, 2013
Even the devil can quote the bible.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by oladapoa1(m): 9:31am On Sep 18, 2013
A ki i gbò buburu lénu abòrè

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by kachi6969(m): 9:32am On Sep 18, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]He just said the simple truth
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 18, 2013
damibravo: Simple Philosophy...

Premise 1- Nigerians Encourage Corruption
Premise 2- GEJ is the number one Nigerian...

Conclusion.............

can someone help me with that

well, it means GEJ is the no1 nigerian that encourages corruption !!

seun nor be me talk am oo

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 18, 2013

He said this? shocked

This presido dey fall hand sha.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by LeStylo: 9:32am On Sep 18, 2013
Tayeni: Presidential pardon he gave? What was dt all about? I might b with him on other issues.....but he negated his speech when he gave dt pardon to Alam.
What about refusing to publicly his assets? And having sufficient braggadocio to tell us all off when we asked? IMO, it was the green light to his co-office holders - "do wetin una like!"

10 Likes

political corruption is the major problem.
once political corruption goes down the rest would be history
Re: Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan by PECO4KING(m): 9:32am On Sep 18, 2013
If he really wanna stop corruption then let him give out their names. That is one way to fight corruption.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos From Senate Plenary, As Dariye Decamps To APC / Dangote, Coscharis, Stallion Group To Partner With Ekiti To Set Up Rice Mill / Supreme Court Dismisses Alaibe’s Appeal Against Governor Diri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.