Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Would You Donate Blood? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Would You Donate Blood? (6939 Views)

Yola Blast: Hospital Urges Public To Donate Blood / Would You Donate Your Vital Organs? / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 2:24am On Nov 29, 2012
I have donated blood in the past. And will continue to do so.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by onitshaigbo(m): 4:14am On Nov 29, 2012
About how some white countries ban African blood, I understand why, let's be real here. Africans are much more likely to be HIV positive than other races. Sure I'm not happy, but hey that shouldn't stop us from donating blood in our own Nigeria to help fellow Africans.

Also, don't think donating blood is like sacrificing something for the benefit of others. It's good to let go of some old blood and give the body a chance to produce new blood cells, it can be rejuvenating. That is, of course, the blood donation needle is sterile. So I encourage healthy Nigerians to give blood. It's good for you too!
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by manny4life(m): 4:22am On Nov 29, 2012
dominique:

What has that got to giving blood? But you can receive blood abi?

It has everything. When I was in college and the Blood Drive van came along to campus, after filing out the questionnaire, it disqualified me automatically. Being that it's a long time, can't really recall why but it had to do with me being African or because I traveled to Africa or something of that nature. They automatically disqualified me.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by manny4life(m): 4:28am On Nov 29, 2012
centje: it's not forbidden or a taboo for a black or african to donate

Yeah it's not. Will ask yourself what the ratio is? I'm sure the results will convince you beyond doubt. In my state, blood collection meets stringent rules - like if you've been bitten by insects such as mosquitoes, or you having missing or no up-to-date vaccine record, things like that disqualifies you. Though my vaccine record was up to date, YET, they disqualified me. I stated that I traveled back home to Nigeria back then and I was sick when I traveled. I disclosed other information to the truth of knowledge, YET, I failed.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by toluene12: 1:22pm On Nov 29, 2012
[b][/b]
YOU WILL BE DENIED AS A BLOOD DONOR IF:

1. You test positive for HIV-1, HIV-2, human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV)-I, HTLV-II, hepatitis C virus, hepatitis B virus, West Nile Virus (WNV), and T. pallidum (syphilis).

2. You have a fever at the time of donation, or state that you do not feel well, or are taking antibiotics.

3. You may be declined if you have a history of injection drug use or a history of selected sexually transmitted diseases.

4. You have recent exposure to or a history of hepatitis, malaria, CJD (AKA Mad Cow Disease), babesiosis, and Chagas' disease.

5. You have symptoms that may be compatible with HIV infection like persistent fevers, night sweats, unexplained weight loss, persistent cough or shortness of breath, persistent diarrhea or swollen lymph nodes.

6. You say yes to these questions:

• Have you ever had clinical or laboratory evidence of AIDS or HIV infection?

• For men: Have you had sex with another man, even once since 1977?

• Have you ever injected intravenous drugs?

• Have you engaged in sex in exchange for money or drugs since 1977?

• Have you received clotting factor concentrates for hemophilia or other clotting disorders?

7. You will be turned away for a year if you have had sex with:

• A person who has HIV infection or AIDS

• A prostitute

• A person who currently or previously used intravenous drugs

• For women: a man who has had sex with another man

• A person receiving clotting factor concentrates

8. You have been treated in the past year for syphilis or gonorrhea, received a blood transfusion, experienced an accidental needle stick injury or received a skin or bone graft or a tissue or organ transplant.

9. You have been an inmate at a correctional institution or been incarcerated for more than 72 consecutive hours during the previous 12 months

10. You will be turned away if:

• You have a history of viral hepatitis after age 10.

• You have ever tested (+) for HBsAg.

• You have a history of close contact with someone who has viral hepatitis

• You received a blood transfusion in the last 12 months.

10. You may be denied if you got a tattoo or body piercing within the last 12 months

11. You have traveled to a malaria endemic area in the last year.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 3:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
^^this seem to be a very long list of requirement, as at when i donated, i can't remember been asked any of those questions, i was only tested 4 HIV and Hepatitis B i guess, and what's with the 1977 date anyway?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by jiljosh(m): 4:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
centje: a pint equals 450ml of blood. You're adviced to donate one pint at a time. But one can donate up to 3 times [b]or more [/b]in a year.

Not MORE.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 29, 2012
jiljosh:

Not MORE.
some people say up to 5,its not scientifically sound but that's their opinion
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
jiljosh:

Not MORE.

How do they consider the ones who double donate?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
SniperInADiaper:

How do they consider the ones who double donate?
commercial donors,they are good at that
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Watermelon(m): 6:07pm On Nov 29, 2012
i have donated blood once and can still donate more to save lives, i can donat organs when i'm dead but not when i'm alive
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Black002(f): 11:28am On Dec 06, 2012
I havent had the opp. to donate but believe me if it happens will gladly go for it.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 06, 2012
I try to donate blood every time I can because I am O- and so I'm universal donor. But the conditions are rather restrictive: not change in sexual partner in the last 6 months (protected or unprotected sex, it doesn't matter), you must wait also 6 months after you travelled to some countries, you must not have been sick in the last weeks, not have gone to the dentist in the last days, not having taken antibiotics, etc. You must be over 50kg and have a good blood pressure. And you can donate max 2-3 times a year only.
When I studied in the US I wanted to donate blood but they rejected me because I am from Europe.
Because of that, the last time I donated blood was in 2009. Then I travelled too much that I wasn't able to donate because of the 6 months waiting period! I got a call 2 weeks ago from the transfusion center, asking if I can come because they really need O-, but I couldn't meet their criteria :-S!
I think it's very important to donate blood. There are so many people that need transfusion, and as I might need it one day (though I hope not), I think it's the least I can do to help. And I encourage anybody who's fit for blood donation to go to the transfusion center and donate blood!
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by rocky01(m): 6:54am On Dec 07, 2012
Hello everyone,your all comments inspire me to donate the blood but there is a problem I don't have enough for denoting to other so please some one suggest me some thing for gaining my weight and blood too. so that I would be able to donate my blood so thanks in advance.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
rocky01: Hello everyone,your all comments inspire me to donate the blood but there is a problem I don't have enough for denoting to other so please some one suggest me some thing for gaining my weight and blood too. so that I would be able to donate my blood so thanks in advance.

how did you know you don't have enough?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 07, 2012
do you have low blood pressure? i remember one time i was told i was at the limit for donation, because if it's too low you can't donate. maybe it's that, but i don't really know what you can do to increase blood pressure. My doctor told me to eat salty.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2012
rocky01: Hello everyone,your all comments inspire me to donate the blood but there is a problem I don't have enough for denoting to other so please some one suggest me some thing for gaining my weight and blood too. so that I would be able to donate my blood so thanks in advance.

First of all make sure you are not short of blood because you are sick by asking a doctor.
One instant solution to low blood count is pumpkin leaves juice. try to squeeze the juice from pumpkin leaves (ugwu leaves wink) or if you like taking medicine then you can just get blood tonic.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 12:01am On Dec 23, 2012
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by jiljosh(m): 2:17am On Jan 10, 2013
centje: commercial donors,they are good at that

But it's a big risk on the health of anyone who "overdonates". Besides, it'll be a really difficult thing to do in advanced countries where all your health/medical history can be called up with a few keystrokes.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by doctorbabs(m): 7:11am On Jan 10, 2013
masterpiecer: I can still remember how happy and i satisfied i felt the day i donated a pint of blood to a blood bank, i didn't plan to do it but i went to the hospital that particular day for check up and a thought came to me to run a HIV test to assertain my status so i went to the lab attendant and told him i would like to donate blood knowing fully well that before i would be allowed to donate blood, they would have to run a HIV test on me, he checked if i was healthy enough to donate, after that he ran the test and it came out -ve, in d result, hepatitis B was also tested and i eventually donated some blood, I was so happy.

That was about 2 yrs ago, i'm thinking of re-visiting for another donation, i know its against the belief of some religion, but would u donate ur blood to save a life?

. when u w ent for the test, what d doctor write on ur result to know if u are positive or negative. thanls
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 10, 2013
jiljosh:

But it's a big risk on the health of anyone who "overdonates". Besides, it'll be a really difficult thing to do in advanced countries where all your health/medical history can be called up with a few keystrokes.
that's right.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 9:30am On Jan 10, 2013
doctorbabs: . when u w ent for the test, what d doctor write on ur result to know if u are positive or negative. thanls

that's about some 3yrs ago, cant vividly remember in details but there was a column where HIV status was printed with 2 check boxes; one indicating +ive and d other -ive, the check box with the '-ive' was ticked and there was also a column for hepatitis B and some others i cant remember.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by monalicious(f): 9:37am On Jan 19, 2013
doctorbabs: . when u w ent for the test, what d doctor write on ur result to know if u are positive or negative. thanls
If he was positive,he wldnt hv been bled @ all. When they do all the necessary tests like PCV and d rest,if any of them is below what its supposed to be,the donor wldnt be bled @ all,he/she wld be told he isn't fit to donate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra State Wins World Bank Award On Immunization-photo / Jang Plans World-class Hospital To Check Foreign Medical Trips / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.