Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Who Is Truly The Goverment? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Truly The Goverment? (507 Views)

Buhari Is Truly Brain Dead, Fani-kayode Insists / We Will Not Negotiate With The Goverment - Boko Haram / Should The Goverment Legalise And Promote Refineries As SMSEs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Truly The Goverment? by Joeadamu86: 11:58am On Nov 27, 2012
Back in the our secondary days,our Government teacher always tell us that power rest with the people,in an ideal democracy the people choose their leaders and their leaders represent the wishes and aspirations of the people.But sadly,the prolong military era has distorted our orientation about government,many people still government as the coming together of few people to control resources,but the truth of the matter is that,the people are the government we must play our part as good citizens by voting,paying our taxes,etc by so doing we can proudly say that we are the govt,we must also be responsible,patriotic and law abiding..I think we have a greater role than the people in power.
Re: Who Is Truly The Goverment? by ANALIST: 12:12pm On Nov 27, 2012
I do not share your view on this. This is because the Lincolnian theory of democracy which what informs us to believe that government is people and people government is no longer practical functioning, especially in Nigeria.

A heard a Senoiur lecturer in the prestigious uniport tell his student that politics is all about the allocation of scarce resources. In other words, the essence of politicking, and indeed goernment( which is the act of governing) is to control scarce resources and nothing more.

If this is the case, ( which is the case in Nigeria) there can not be government of all the peolple when the people are even denied of the fundamental right, necessities and infrastructure which the people need.

I think in my humble view, that government is the organisation, allocation and distribution of state resources and implementation policies.

Regards LFL(ANALIST)
Re: Who Is Truly The Goverment? by Joeadamu86: 12:17pm On Nov 27, 2012
ANALIST: I do not share your view on this. This is because the Lincolnian theory of democracy which what informs us to believe that government is people and people government is no longer practical functioning, especially in Nigeria.

A heard a Senoiur lecturer in the prestigious uniport tell his student that politics is all about the allocation of scarce resources. In other words, the essence of politicking, and indeed goernment( which is the act of governing) is to control scarce resources and nothing more.

If this is the case, ( which is the case in Nigeria) there can not be government of all the peolple when the people are even denied of the fundamental right, necessities and infrastructure which the people need.

I think in my humble view, that government is the organisation, allocation and distribution of state resources and implementation policies.

Regards LFL(ANALIST)
agree with you to a very large extend,politics is allocation of resources based on who gets what and how..agreed my concern here is the notion that only a few is the government whereas the people make the govt?

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING News;boko Haram Leader Killed In Nigeria. / When Was The Last Time Something Good Happend In Nigeria That Made Headlines / Nigeria Needs A Rawlings-type Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.