Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed (10099 Views)

Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat / How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / How To Run Internet Speed Test With Dos Command (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Hardfact: 6:52pm On Nov 27, 2012
In theory or in reality? Whateva that means, it sure real sucks in naija.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by sammychido: 6:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
THANK GOD FOR ONCE SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT NAIJA
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by RedLight1: 6:56pm On Nov 27, 2012
Hardfact: In theory or in reality? Whateva that means, it sure real sucks in naija.
yeah am sure u woulda bein very happy if it had being.. (Nigeria has the slowest internet speed in the world) nigerians.. Choi nawa

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2012
[quote author=eGuerrilla][/quote]

The asssertion is misleading. As an analyst, the use of average (mean) could be rendered useless by extreme values. I think that is the case here. The fact that the peak speed of Nigeria exceeds that of South Africa but the average speed of South Africa is higher than that of Nigeria could mean that only very few % of Nigerian internet users enjoy the higher speed unlike South Africans. The highest speed I ever recorded on my BB bold 4 is 25kb/s with EDGE
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
obasy09:

The asssertion is misleading. As an analyst, the use of average (mean) could be rendered useless by extreme values. I think that is the case here. The fact that the peak speed of Nigeria exceeds that of South Africa but the average speed of South Africa is higher than that of Nigeria could mean that only very few Nigerians enjoy the higher speed unlike South Africans. The highest speed I ever recorded on my BB bold 4 is 25kb/s

Actually, because I achieved an average speed of 300kb/sec on the Glo 3G network, on a visit to Nigeria more than 2 years ago, I would strongly recommend that you change service providers. grin

I understand your point about mean values perfectly well as my throughput varied while on the move, but 25kb/s is the dogsbody.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by omenziate(m): 7:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
Mayb some tech geeks can help me out here, hw does 700kb/s translate to 2.5Mb download speed as cited by some chairmen here. Abi no b maths again? Is there a factor we multiply to get such values.?
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
amosy007: I told someone i got abt 3000kp/sec which is close to 25mbit/sec on etisalat which i with my 4g modem buh he doubted i could get such speed.. Has anyone got dat kinda speed b4?

3000kb/s is not = about 25mb/s
Remember 1mb = 1024 x 1024 bytes
3000 kb/s = 2.5 mb/s
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
amosy007: I told someone i got abt 3000kp/sec which is close to 25mbit/sec on etisalat which i with my 4g modem buh he doubted i could get such speed.. Has anyone got dat kinda speed b4?

3000 kb/s = about 2.5 mb/s
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
omenziate: Mayb some tech geeks can help me out here, hw does 700kb/s translate to 2.5Mb download speed as cited by some chairmen here. Abi no b maths again? Is there a factor we multiply to get such values.?

700kb/s is not = 2.5MB/s

It is less than 1MB/s
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by xtremeidea(m): 7:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=38pt]ooooppppsss!!!!!!! [/size]

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
Which kind lie be dis?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by zicjoe(m): 7:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
jogrin0: and hw is dat interupted ma 4.0g wireless?....where is ma guy kolade?...i am miss u so much
pls reconstruct ur english
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Dygeasy(m): 7:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
No be 53 countries dey west Africa? Mtcheew!! Nonsense! We be giant of west Africa na...
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by ignis: 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
jamace: What is good about this news? Tell us the truth, does your internet connectivity have up to the stated speed?
Everything is good about the news.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Guguru102(m): 7:48pm On Nov 27, 2012
My Empty Hen Hynet internet is 27kb/s very slow like Snail
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Guguru102(m): 7:48pm On Nov 27, 2012
My Empty Hen Hynet internet speed is 27kb/s very slow like Snail
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
Great news. IT conscious Nigerian businesses should leverage their speed advantage to spread their operations across West Africa. Lay their stake in the market before the others catch up.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by LoveDecay(m): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
Airtel gives 400+ kbps .... Deep into the night I get up 520kbps.

And, am using a 3.6mps modem. Imagine a 7.2mbps
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by KINGwax(m): 9:03pm On Nov 27, 2012
I don't knw why u guys don't biliv ds! Do u knw UK wil be introducing her first 4g next yr october? If u ask them, they complain of slow network.
I chat wit friends in ties states and cousins in UK and d truth is, they complain of network problem too.
I don't knw wot network u guys use...i've used swift 4g and it's fuckin fast..i also use glo with my phone and it's 3g has been the bomb. When the condition is fine, i browse with the mtn fast link and download files in seconds. I swear!
I'm alwys suprised when people complain..except the hitches, i'm cool
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Skywalker5(m): 9:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
KINGwax: I don't knw why u guys don't biliv ds! Do u knw UK wil be introducing her first 4g next yr october? If u ask them, they complain of slow network.
I chat wit friends in ties states and cousins in UK and d truth is, they complain of network problem too.
I don't knw wot network u guys use...i've used swift 4g and it's fuckin fast..i also use glo with my phone and it's 3g has been the bomb. When the condition is fine, i browse with the mtn fast link and download files in seconds. I swear!

Slow network in uk?you sure about what you saying. Maybe most of the people you talking about stay in remote places with limited connectivity. Never heard of sloe network in UK at all. Maybe you talking about people who uses dongle. dongle self is fast
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by RedLight1: 9:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
obasy09:

3000 kb/s = 2.5 mb/s
i know but thats when u are calculating megabytes and kilobytes in terms of hard disk and so on but it is not applicable to internet speed

8mbit = 1kbyte
when u wanna calculate internet speed
if ur dongle speed is at 1.00mbit/sec, your actual speed in kilobyte is 125kilobytes per second

thats why if mtn sell a modem with 3.2mbit capacity for u.. it means the maximum speed the modem can give wont be more than 400kilobyte per seoond
same goes for their 7.2mb modem wont give u more than 800mbit/sec ... check mtn website (internet plan section) u will see that mtn maximum speed aint more than

recent etisalat 3.75g has the capacity of 42mbit per second which is around 5230kbyte/sec but u will need a powerful modem (like 4G modem )to get such speed.... do more research sha
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by RedLight1: 9:15pm On Nov 27, 2012
omenziate: Mayb some tech geeks can help me out here, hw does 700kb/s translate to 2.5Mb download speed as cited by some chairmen here. Abi no b maths again? Is there a factor we multiply to get such values.?
dont confuse yourself... the MB is not mega-byte its mega-bit and 700kb aint equivalent to 2.5mb.... 700kb is equivalent to 5.6mbit on ur modem
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
Red-Light:

i know but thats when u are calculating megabytes and kilobytes in terms of hard disk and so on but it is not applicable to internet speed

8mbit = 1kbyte
when u wanna calculate internet speed
if ur dongle speed is at 1.00mbit/sec, your actual speed in kilobyte is 125kilobytes per second

thats why if mtn sell a modem with 3.2mbit capacity for u.. it means the maximum speed the modem can give wont be more than 400kilobyte per seoond
same goes for their 7.2mb modem wont give u more than 800mbit/sec ... check mtn website (internet plan section) u will see that mtn maximum speed aint more than

recent etisalat 3.75g has the capacity of 42mbit per second which is around 5230kbyte/sec but u will need a poweful modem (like 4modem )to get such speed.... do more research sha

I think I am the one that is ignorant here. Now I know better. Thanks for the clarification without resulting to insults as most people do on Nairaland. Thx once again.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by RedLight1: 9:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
obasy09:

I think I am the one that is ignorant here. Now I know better. Thanks for the clarification without resulting to insults as most people do on Nairaland. Thx once again.
u welcome *smiles*
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
4 dis naija wey i dey browse? Then oda country no get internet at all.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by erico2k2(m): 11:04pm On Nov 27, 2012
pDudd: Then internet connectivity in Africa must really suck. cry
took you this long to realize? grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by erico2k2(m): 11:06pm On Nov 27, 2012
KINGwax: I don't knw why u guys don't biliv ds! Do u knw UK wil be introducing her first 4g next yr october? If u ask them, they complain of slow network.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man becomes a king
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by tkovie2002(m): 11:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
And while Nigeria is "LEADING", see my average speed here in Ghana.

FYI:: I am a Nigerian

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by fortyfeet(m): 11:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
binger: If this is true,then West Africa is really backward. I don't know abt u,but my(and those i knw) internet connectivity walks,it doesn't speed. So,for 9ja to be in the lead,shows there is trouble.
You can still calculate the speed at which it walks. You must be poor in Physics and Mathematics.
In an attempt to paint your country bad, you expose your deficiencies.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Sike(m): 12:12am On Nov 28, 2012
We get mouth.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by RedLight1: 12:31am On Nov 28, 2012
tkovie...this is my own average speed on mtn nigeria

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 1:25am On Nov 28, 2012
Niiice. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Restore Window 7 As In Fresh Install / The Best Internet Connection To Use? / Intel Vs AMD: What's Your Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.