Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West (9636 Views)

Yoruba Groups Support Biafra, Asks FG To Release Kanu / Jimi Agbaje Rides Okada To Rally (PHOTOS) / Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
I don't like the way you bring Abuja and other states into this. Lagos is totally different from other states. Our needs here are different from those of other states, so, it's not right to say Lagos must ban okadas because Abuja and Enugu did so. I'm also not saying they shouldn't ban it but there should be an alternative. It has affected the livelihood of the okada people as a small street now houses over one hundred okada men fighting for a few passengers. Any okada man that makes 500 naira in a day should thank his CHI.

If it's about migrants from other countries then they should deport these people. You can't punish all okada riders because some Nigeriens and Chadians are migrating to Lagos.
Who is we ?? TO talk of our needs.
There are different needs
Number one we are a Yoruba state and that must be preserved. That is number one.Residents have similar but not equal rights to indigenes.
We do not accept okada as part of our culture so I don't know who your we is

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
Toppié2:
really? So what alternatives are we left with after getting 'rid of okada'? What sort of sane people put their cart before their horse. This is the joke of the year!

What fuccking alternative are you talking about? Is that a subtle blackmail against the govt? let them try armed robbery and dare the consequences then.

Lazy mentality at it's peak!
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
Lagos must respond to what happens in Abuja and elsewhere and the only reason you fail to see that is because you are not an Indigene.To us indigenes that is absolutely clear. You cannot import all the unemployment in the country here and then try and change our culture like in Jos we will never have that.We are talking Capacity.
There is a LIMIT TO what one state can carry

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0:
Who is we ?? TO talk of our needs.
There are different needs
Number one we are a Yoruba state and that must be preserved. That is number one.Residents have similar but not equal rights to indigenes.
We do not accept okada as part of our culture so I don't know who your we is
By "WE" i mean people who live in Lagos and what the fvck is "We're a Yoruba state". What has that got to do with the ban on okadas? This may be a Yoruba state different Nigerian live here and their needs have to come first and foremost. You don't accept okada as part of your culture. is Range Rover part of your culture? What's your point with the whole Yoruba culture ish? What has it got to do with banning okadas.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 2:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
ilugunboy:

What fuccking alternative are you talking about? Is that a subtle blackmail against the govt? let them try armed robbery and dare the consequences then.

Leave them to continue talking alternatives.Were slave traders not forced to find alternatives when they were forced to stop selling slaves ? Did anyone negotiate with them
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0: Lagos must respond to what happens in Abuja and elsewhere and the only reason you fail to see that is because you are not an Indigene.To us indigenes that is absolutely clear. You cannot import all the unemployment in the country here and then try and change our culture like in Jos we will never have that.We are talking Capacity.
There is a LIMIT TO what one state can carry
Mr man if only indigenes are considered in Lagos then the monthly allocation of Lagos will be the smallest even behind Ekiti and Ebonyi states. The gargantuan allocation Lagos gets is for the entire populace.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 2:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
By "WE" i mean people who live in Lagos and what the fvck is "We're a Yoruba state". What has that got to do with the ban on okadas? This may be a Yoruba state different Nigerian live here and their needs have to come first and foremost. You don't accept okada as part of your culture. is Range Rover part of your culture? What's your point with the whole Yoruba culture ish? What has it got to do with banning okadas.
Please do not swear at me . You might not like my response.The issue is capacity. The moment you arrive from Niger you have "started living in Lagos" That does not give you the right to contest elections or to receive student bursaries etc so there are autochthons who are keen to preserve "Yoruba identity" Too many people of unknown origin are arriving daily to do this business. If they are not discouraged their numbers will grow and next thing they will be telling us not to do Oro or Eyo festival because it is UnIslamic.We are making sure that will not happen by declaring that the Okada party is over.
Those people like you who come from wherever you come from are the ones who feel at home with okada and think because you now live in Lagos you will impose that way on us. We will put a stop to it. You mention livelihood completely ignoring the deaths and maiming. IN that "na market" mindset any trade is OK if it brings money but the reason we are against okada is it is unsafe,dangerous even and a threat to security and harmony

You talk about alternatives when discussing legitimate business. Okada is illegimate on EVERY level. Untrained,unlicensed riders carrying passengers commercially has ALWAYS been illegal in Lagos but government tolerated it till it got out of hand and now they are claiming rights and asking for alternative.
Alternatives only appliy to those people who are indigenes or have paid tax in Lagos consistently. Such people have a claim all others are on their own

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
I can't understand this whole idea of Afam's point of view.....
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
Mr man if only indigenes are considered in Lagos then the monthly allocation of Lagos will be the smallest even behind Ekiti and Ebonyi states. The gargantuan allocation Lagos gets is for the entire populace.

the responsibility of Government will be equally smaller also.

is it Okada riders making the diffference?
do not make me Laugh.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 3:07pm On Nov 29, 2012
ilugunboy: I can't understand this whole idea of Afam's point of view.....
He needs to understand that the needs of indigenes are supreme to others and they decide what they want to see in their state. Visitors have subordinate rights that is the reality.
Do you see Lagosians arguin with anyone about how to run Onitsha or Abuja. Or that they should stop Sharia in Zamfara
Anyone who does not like it knows the Toll Gate

Why is it the Job of Lagos to provide alternative employment for non indigenes who arrived last month??

For those who have lived in Lagos for long (in my view at least 5 years) paying tax and staying out of trouble that is a different matter. Even in the UK here University tuition is free in Scotland for Scots but not for English. Imagine if all the English were entitled would that not bankrupt them. Once again Lagos is FULL

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 29, 2012
Every day I see fewer and fewer Southerners riding these Okadas and their places been taken over by weird..rudely looking Abokis (read Nigeriens and Chadians)

...to me, it not a coincidence, there is more to it than that, they are more or less an infiltration army waiting for signal.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 3:15pm On Nov 29, 2012
ilugunboy: Every day I see fewer and fewer Southerners riding these Okadas and their places been taken over by weird..rudely looking Abokis (read Nigeriens and Chadians)

...to me, it not a coincidence, there is more to it than that, they are more or less an infiltration army waiting for signal.
Leave them those that know Lagos know what's up and some jokers come here talking alternative

alternative ko alterlocal ni
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2012
The reason we bring other states into it is simple Once everyone bans it those who had no plans to come to Lagos will think they have no choice.The fact that there is no immigration check makes it attractive for hordes of unemployed youth to swarm in.Will they not need healthcare,schools,transport and other amenities ? Will they contribute as much as they consume,in short is it worth it? ultimately they are not contributing to development in Lagos. No state is an Island. Imagine if ALL states except Lagos enforce a ban on alcohol,cigarettes and prostitutes. It is disingenuous to suggest that Lagos can ignore the ban in other states or that there are no consequences for Lagos

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by ESULAALU: 4:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0:
Please do not swear at me . You might not like my response.The issue is capacity. The moment you arrive from Niger you have "started living in Lagos" That does not give you the right to contest elections or to receive student bursaries etc so there are autochthons who are keen to preserve "Yoruba identity" Too many people of unknown origin are arriving daily to do this business. If they are not discouraged their numbers will grow and next thing they will be telling us not to do Oro or Eyo festival because it is UnIslamic.We are making sure that will not happen by declaring that the Okada party is over.
Those people like you who come from wherever you come from are the ones who feel at home with okada and think because you now live in Lagos you will impose that way on us. We will put a stop to it. You mention livelihood completely ignoring the deaths and maiming. IN that "na market" mindset any trade is OK if it brings money but the reason we are against okada is it is unsafe,dangerous even and a threat to security and harmony

You talk about alternatives when discussing legitimate business. Okada is illegimate on EVERY level. Untrained,unlicensed riders carrying passengers commercially has ALWAYS been illegal in Lagos but government tolerated it till it got out of hand and now they are claiming rights and asking for alternative.
Alternatives only appliy to those people who are indigenes or have paid tax in Lagos consistently. Such people have a claim all others are on their own

ARIBISALA COMMENTED WITHOUT INSULTING ANYONE?HE EVEN SAID ''PLEASE DONT SWEAR AT ME''

NAIRALAND IS INDEED GETTING BETTER.AM PROUD OF YOU MY BOY,YOU ARE NOW THE TRUE FATHER OF YOUR SON.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by occam(m): 4:13pm On Nov 29, 2012
5 yrs is too long. One year is enough time to rid our cities of Okada. They should be confined to the villages and rural areas.

Okada was never the solution to transportation challenges for Lagos. Previous government should have acted quickly to ban it before it became a way of life. Kudos to Fashola for getting rid of this menace. He should go one step further and ban it completely in all roads in Lagos.

As for Okada riders, tough luck. They should find something else to do. Riding a bike recklessly all day is not a sustainable livelihood. In any policy decisions there are net gainers and losers. Lagosians are the winners in this Okada ban. I bet you in 3 yrs time we'll all breathe a sigh of relieve that these dangerous riders are off our street.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 4:16pm On Nov 29, 2012
ESULAALU:

ARIBISALA COMMENTED WITHOUT INSULTING ANYONE?HE EVEN SAID ''PLEASE DONT SWEAR AT ME''

NAIRALAND IS INDEED GETTING BETTER.AM PROUD OF YOU MY BOY,YOU ARE NOW THE TRUE FATHER OF YOUR SON.

Sango lo ma paa iya re
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by occam(m): 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva: I think they should have proffered an alternative to okadas. We only know how to condemn but never profer solutions.

The Lagos state govt is already implementing some of the solutions; its just taking time

First thing first: Get rid of Okada. Lagosians will be better off without these two-wheel menace on the street. After all, before the dawn of Okada Lagosians moved freely from the Mainland to Island to Ikeja.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by occam(m): 4:32pm On Nov 29, 2012
Dipwater: I am not against banning okada but banning without the provision of alternative is the worst
People are suffering in lagos after the ban .armed robbers have taken it to another level .its complete breakdown of law and order .naija which way?

Nigerians are fond of supporting useless govt policies as long as it doesn't affect their own biness .put urself in their shoes and u will feel their pains .yes I agree with everyone in support of the okada ban but their things to consider b4 the ban

Things like

Unemployment

Security of lives and properties; some of those okada rider wuld end up as robbers terrorizing lagos state .we know some wuld be caught and set ablaze ,what about the lives and properties that wuld be lost b4 they are caught,the pains and scares they will leave behind .

We are truthful to ourselves ,areaboys(agberos) are still roaming about causing hardship in lagos state, the so called fashola can not do any thing about it.

No roads ,water transportation has gone into extinction,monorails are not in place ,the danfo drivers are as crazy asthe okada riders ,no bus stops,govt agencies like etc are very corrupt ,no link roads to ease traffic. And we have banned okada

Ok nau suffering continues ,I can see the life expectancy dropping from 46 to 26 and if u are above 26 ur clock is ticking u might drop dead any moment from now

For how long must we rely on Okada? Immediate ban is the best approach. Solutions are there and the ban may hasten implementation. No more excuses. We don't need dangerous bike riders on our streets anymore. Period
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by M17: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2012
supported ,it makes whole lot of sense .believe me this guy's are right on this decision.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2012
Supported!!

Any initiative that'll reduce the population of Lagos by at least 50% should be supported... It's high time people started developing their regions as well and leave Lagos alone!!

You don't see mainland Chinese people migrating in droves to Hong Kong to mess up the darn place... Lagos needs the Hong Kong vs. Mainland China thing where people would require visas to move there, to be honest... grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by ESULAALU: 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0:

Sango lo ma paa iya re

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
EWO ORISA,A KII FII OMO RE BO RE.

IWO GAAN NII SANGO MA PA...OGUN A WA FII EJE E WE.

JUST WHEN I WAS BEGINNING TO THINK YOU WERE CONFORMING THEN YOU INSULT AGAIN.

OYA BACK TO YOUR CAGE (KICKS HIM TO HIS CAGE)
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Candybob(m): 4:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
ilugunboy: Every day I see fewer and fewer Southerners riding these Okadas and their places been taken over by weird..rude looking Abokis (read Nigeriens and Chadians)

Very on point, i noticed the influx of these elements since about six month on the lagos island. It seems like somebody just shipped them in over night. They have only three businesses; suya, okada and begging!
Though a non-indigene of lagos, i agree with the indigene's perspective. Since it is your place u will always have an obligation to maintain it after all u have no where else, but a non-indigene feels no such obligation, it is not his fathers house.
Even the keke should be banned.
We southerners are been careless about these fulani/hausa/arab threat. They are armed with long range and short range weapons, and yet we ignore them? I hope we dont get to the point when they start showing themselves b4 we start thinking what to do? Because then it might be too late.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2012
Candybob:
Very on point, i noticed the influx of these elements since about six month on the lagos island. It seems like somebody just shipped them in over night. They have only three businesses; suya, okada and begging!
Though a non-indigene of lagos, i agree with the indigene's perspective. Since it is your place u will always have an obligation to maintain it after all u have no where else, but a non-indigene feels no such obligation, it is not his fathers house.
Even the keke should be banned.
We southerners are been careless about these fulani/hausa/arab threat. They are armed with long range and short range weapons, and yet we ignore them? I hope we dont get to the point when they start showing themselves b4 we start thinking what to do? Because then it might be too late.

@ the bolded - that's the best and most selfless comment ever on NL - salute!!!

Lagos needs more people like you - not these louts who think Lagos is a do, or die affair...

I definitely will support someone like you if you decide to contest for a political post in Lagos - you're a rare breed in Nigeria!!
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by achi4u(m): 4:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
shymexx: Supported!!

Any initiative that'll reduce the population of Lagos by at least 50% should be supported... It's high time people started developing their regions as well and leave Lagos alone!!

You don't see mainland Chinese people migrating in droves to Hong Kong to mess up the darn place... Lagos needs the Hong Kong vs. Mainland China thing where people would require a visa to move there, to be honest... grin
guy easy O!cheesy You indirectly tellin them to come to Lagos with VISA!grin

I no follow o!
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
achi4u: guy easy O!cheesy You indirectly tellin them to come to Lagos with VISA!grin

I no follow o!

That might be the only way to curtail the population explosion... Lagos is unique - and Lagosians are generally different from other Nigerians(mentality wise)... So, we might have to do the Mainland China vs. Hong Kong thing - one country, two systems and visas... That'll also generate more money for Lagos... ;Ds
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Toppie2(f): 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
ilugunboy:

just calm down, can't you comment without swearing? mental laziness at its peak indeed! As far as i know, this is a public forum and i'm entitled to my own opinion regardless of what anyone thinks.
Read my other posts, i'm not standing in for those motorcyclists whose livelihood "would" be threatened but those of us that would be affected if the government does not provide alternative means of transportation before motorcycle is banned; especially in areas where people solely depend on bikes. Who says motorcycle shouldn't be banned? It's not my headache if you think otherwise!
And until today, i never knew Lagos is now the only state in the SW!
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On Nov 29, 2012
shymexx: Supported!!

You don't see mainland Chinese people migrating in droves to Hong Kong to mess up the darn place... Lagos needs the Hong Kong vs. Mainland China thing where people would require visas to move there, to be honest... grin
I don't know why i notice this mental shift whenever you're commenting on anything related to Lagos. Are you now comparing Lagos, former capital territory and one of the states in Nigeria with Hong Kong which is kinda like a country on it's own.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Katsumoto: 5:31pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
I don't know why i notice this mental shift whenever you're commenting on anything related to Lagos. Are you now comparing Lagos, former capital territory and one of the states in Nigeria with Hong Kong which is kinda like a country on it's own.

Excuse me, please be very clear on your use of terms. Lagos Island was the capital and not Lagos. There is a BIG difference.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Nov 29, 2012
@Aribisala
I repeat, people who live in Lagos are the ones who should be considered before any decision is taken in Lagos and not just the indegenes. If it were just about the indigenes then Lagos would have been receiving the smallest allocation. The money been paid to Lagos monthly is been done with the population of the city in mind.

I'm still yet to grasp what Yoruba has to do with this whole okada thingy. Are you insinuating that it's only non-Yorubas that are complaining of the okada ban? Are you also saying that there are no Yoruba people making a living from the rididng of okadas? I await your answer.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

Excuse me, please be very clear on your use of terms. Lagos Island was the capital and not Lagos. There is a BIG difference.
Aso Rock is the capital territory and not the whole of Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Katsumoto: 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
Aso Rock is the capital territory and not the whole of Abuja.

You mean the presidential villa is the capital of Nigeria? ? ? You don't have to start lying or bending the truth just to have something to say in a debate.

Second, how does what is happening in Abuja affect what happens in Lagos or the comment I made. You are not very bright and it is best for you to comment less. No one gets paid to comment you know.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 29, 2012

He disclosed: ”We have been reliably informed that some fundamentalists raise their funds from Okada riders. You will recollect that Boko Haram recently said it has 2000 fighters in Lagos. Where are the fighters, where do they live and which job do they do?

”With over 500,000 migrants armed with knives and daggers, what is the future of the people of Lagos, if suddenly there is a major ethnic strife in an increasingly fragile state like ours?”

For more information, read http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/yoruba-groups-want-okada-banned-in-south-west/

Can someone tell me,where are most Okadamen around Lagos from?
Because the initial post gives me the impression that they are from other regions
Infact these people are telling us they are northerners
is that true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fani-Kayode : APC Is Not A Muslim Dominated Party / Ebonyi APC Supporters Vandalise Government Facilities / Simon Bako Lalong Inaugurated Into Office For Second Term (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.