Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West (9640 Views)

Yoruba Groups Support Biafra, Asks FG To Release Kanu / Jimi Agbaje Rides Okada To Rally (PHOTOS) / Building On Weekends & Public-Holidays Banned In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

You mean the presidential villa is the capital of Nigeria? ? ? You don't have to start lying or bending the truth just to have something to say in a debate.

Second, how does what is happening in Abuja affect what happens in Lagos or the comment I made. You are not very bright and it is best for you to comment less. No one gets paid to comment you know.

Is Aso Rock not a place in Abuja? What particular part of Abuja is it? Can we also say that the particular town is the capital of Abuja and not the whole of Abuja just like you said Lagos Island was the capital of Lagos and not the whole of Lagos?
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by occam(m): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
Toppié2:
just calm down, can't you comment without swearing? mental laziness at its peak indeed! As far as i know, this is a public forum and i'm entitled to my own opinion regardless of what anyone thinks.
Read my other posts, i'm not standing in for those motorcyclists whose livelihood "would" be threatened but those of us that would be affected if the government does not provide alternative means of transportation before motorcycle is banned; especially in areas where people solely depend on bikes. Who says motorcycle shouldn't be banned? It's not my headache if you think otherwise!
And until today, i never knew Lagos is now the only state in the SW!

I don't agree with the "wait till we have alternative" approach. Govt may start dragging its feet to implement solutions if there'e no urgency. Also, the next Governor may play the populist card and decide not to ban Okada saying it will cause too much suffering for people. No ban it immediately and start developing a comprehensive transport system. Enough of Okada on our streets. Lagos should aspire to world class statues and not compete with cities in Benin, Togo or Mali.

Lagsoisns deserve better
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Dipwater(m): 5:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
I am not against banning okada but banning without the provision of alternative is the worst
People are suffering in lagos after the ban .armed robbers have taken it to another level .its complete breakdown of law and order .naija which way?

Nigerians are fond of supporting useless govt policies as long as it doesn't affect their own biness .put urself in their shoes and u will feel their pains .yes I agree with everyone in support of the okada ban but their things to consider b4 the ban

Things like

Unemployment

Security of lives and properties; some of those okada rider wuld end up as robbers terrorizing lagos state .we know some wuld be caught and set ablaze ,what about the lives and properties that wuld be lost b4 they are caught,the pains and scares they will leave behind .

We are truthful to ourselves ,areaboys(agberos) are still roaming about causing hardship in lagos state, the so called fashola can not do any thing about it.

No roads ,water transportation has gone into extinction,monorails are not in place ,the danfo drivers are as crazy asthe okada riders ,no bus stops,govt agencies like etc are very corrupt ,no link roads to ease traffic. And we have banned okada

Ok nau suffering continues ,I can see the life expectancy dropping from 46 to 26 and if u are above 26 ur clock is ticking u might drop dead any moment from now
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 6:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva: @Aribisala
I repeat, people who live in Lagos are the ones who should be considered before any decision is taken in Lagos and not just the indegenes. If it were just about the indigenes then Lagos would have been receiving the smallest allocation. The money been paid to Lagos monthly is been done with the population of the city in mind.

I'm still yet to grasp what Yoruba has to do with this whole okada thingy. Are you insinuating that it's only non-Yorubas that are complaining of the okada ban? Are you also saying that there are no Yoruba people making a living from the rididng of okadas? I await your answer.

"People who live in Lagos" is a phrase that requires definition. What exactly does this mean from a governance perspective. Live or lived for how long?? I am saying that the reponsibilty to provide alternatives cannot accrue to someone who arrived in Lagos this January to start riding Okada so we need to define exactly what it means to be a "resident" in Lagos in contrast to the term "live in Lagos" which is quite obscure.

What Yoruba has to do with it is that we do not like the okada culture in our land.It is that simple.We were willing to tolerate it as part of our accommodating nature but it has gone too far now.Non Yorubas may not understand but that is just too bad.Of course there are Yoruba armed robbers but that does not mean we endorse that
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 6:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0:
What Yoruba has to do with it is that we do not like the okada culture in our land.It is that simple.We were willing to tolerate it as part of our accommodating nature but it has gone too far now.Non Yorubas may not understand but that is just too bad.
I never knew that you could speak on behalf of all Yorubas in Lagos. I guess the Seguns and Adewoles i see complaining alongside Emeka, Udeme and Auwal are not Yorubas because they don't share your view. I wonder whose culture culture Okada is part of. Igbo or Hausa? Dude, your positions are not well thought out.

I'll continue to repeat that i hate okadas. I'm just highlighting the fact that these are some people source of livelihood and so an alternative should be provided. I heard Fashola is doing something about it but i think it's a case of putting the cart before the horse. But it's all good. It's better late than never.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 6:10pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
I never knew that you could speak on behalf of all Yorubas in Lagos. I guess the Seguns and Adewoles i see complaining alongside Emeka, Udeme and Auwal are not Yorubas because they don't share your view. I wonder whose culture culture Okada is part of. Igbo or Hausa? Dude, your positions are not well thought out.

I'll continue to repeat that i hate okadas. I'm just highlighting the fact that these are some people source of livelihood and so an alternative should be provided. I heard Fashola is doing something about it but i think it's a case of putting the cart before the horse. But it's all good. It's better late than never.
This is a social issue expressing a preference for what I like in MY father's land.Not a Philosophy confab. I believe you have a homeland? Go there and fight for the entrenchment of Okada. We don't like it ,we have told those that govern us and they are responding that is all that matters not the views of interlopers or intruders who fail to know their place. It is no longer a matter of debate but action.You have a lot to learn about how Yoruba play politics.

Fashola has a duty to provide alternatives to SOME not ALL those affected namely the indigenes who are probably non-existent and those who have paid tax in Lagos for more than 5 years

It is not the job of Fashola or Lagos state to employ ALL Nigerians. There is a reason why we talk about state of origin in Nigeria
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Toppie2(f): 6:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
occam:

I don't agree with the "wait till we have alternative" approach. Govt may start dragging its feet to implement solutions if there'e no urgency. Also, the next Governor may play the populist card and decide not to ban Okada saying it will cause too much suffering for people. No ban it immediately and start developing a comprehensive transport system. Enough of Okada on our streets. Lagos should aspire to world class statues and not compete with cities in Benin, Togo or Mali.

Lagsoisns deserve better
ok. Thanks for being specific. I don't stay in Lagos and i didn't mention Lagos state in my posts! I believe There are other states in the Sw
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0:
This is a social issue expressing a preference for what I like in MY father's land.Not a Philosophy confab. I believe you have a homeland? Go there and fight for the entrenchment of Okada. We don't like it ,we have told those that govern us and they are responding that is all that matters not the views of interlopers or intruders who fail to know their place. It is no longer a matter of debate but action.You have a lot to learn about how Yoruba play politics.
Mr Man do you live in Lagos? What's your business with what goes on here? I live i Lagos and i have say one way or the other. What do you mean by your father's land. Do you own a plt of land in Lagos. You're beginning to sound ridiculous my friend. I also find it annoying that you can't comprehend simple statements like "I'm not in support of Okadas". Is that so difficult for you to decipher?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 6:17pm On Nov 29, 2012
afam4eva:
Mr Man do you live in Lagos? What's your business with what goes on here? I live i Lagos and i have say one way or the other. What do you mean by your father's land. Do you own a plt of land in Lagos. You're beginning to sound ridiculous my friend. I also find it annoying that you can't comprehend simple statements like "I'm not in support of Okadas". Is that so difficult for you to decipher?
You are beginning to get unruly so I suggest we call it quits now. There is no need for biography Whether I own a plot of land anywhere is not your father's business. I am an autochthon in Lagos and we have decided along with our government where we are going. It has moved from discussion to implementation. That is where we are now.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Afam4eva(m): 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2012
aribisala0: You are beginning to get unruly so I suggest we call it quits now. There is no need for biography Whether I own a plot of land anywhere is not your father's business. I am an autochthon in Lagos and we have decided along with our government where we are going. It has moved from discussion to implementation. That is where we are now.
I guess we call it quits because the thread has turned from banning okadas to being an omo-onile. I apologize if i came across as insulting.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
Supported

If you must ride Okada go to another region and do it.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by geez1: 7:17pm On Nov 29, 2012

There is no provision for okadas in the regional economic powerhouse of the South West where fast moving trains blaze across the landscape from city to city and highways connect even the smallest of towns.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Katsumoto: 7:24pm On Nov 29, 2012
geez*:

There is no provision for okadas in the regional economic powerhouse of the South West where fast moving trains blaze across the landscape from city to city and highways connect even the smallest of towns.

But trains will not get folks to their homes. When they get down from the trains, they still need to get to their final destination.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by geez1: 7:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

But trains will not get folks to their homes. When they get down from the trains, they still need to get to their final destination.

Of course, we have buses on major streets
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 29, 2012
geez*:

Of course, we have buses on major streets

Yes and from these places ..they are easy walking distances to our various homes.

Our sedentary life style will either kill us or we kill it. The choice is ours.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by NegroNtns(m): 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
Afam,

You can attest to the fact that of all participants in nl no one advocates for social policies for the people more than myself. There are many aspects of this "alternative employment" argument that are just completely irresponsible. If Lagos begins to provide alternative employment guess what the few left in villages in East and North will do?

There is no city in the world that receives as much visitors and foot traffic per square inch of public space per year than Mecca. Mecca has the most strict law enforcement than all US law enforcement agencies combined.

Lagos has many legacy laws on books that needs to be enforced to bring back sanity to the city. You said it was the capital therefore it cannot be compared to others. Okay, if you will follow down that path then we should bring out all the laws in force when it served as capital and re empower Lagos City Council to bring out the health inspectors, the town hall councils, the street ordinances, the building codes and all the rest of these laws that are in the books and no one is enforcing. You think Fashola 's taxes and laws are oppressive, dont let them throw the LCC books at you, half immigrants in Lagos will voluntarily deport.

In a democracy no government owe anybody a means of livelihood, indigene or non indigene....you fend for yoursel but while doing so you respect law and order. It is irresponsible to suggest that Lagos must provide "alternative employment" to buy people out of commiting crime or violating the law and ordinances of the city. Thats AMNESTY, SouthSouth style!

In Yorubaland we dont buy out crimes and lawlessness, we manage it responsibly.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by aribisala0(m): 8:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
Lagos State was NOT the capital. A common error. Just a small part thereof i.e Lagos and Victoria Islands,Ikoyi and Mainland up to WAEC area i.e the locations of the Federal Secretariat,Supreme Court ,National Assembly and similar buildings built mostly by the British. In fact Ikeja was in the Western Region before States were created.
Lagos was never "resettled" like Abuja and indigenes retain full powers. We have Kings etc and are not about to become some utopian cosmopolitan all comers welcome enclave. No it is Yoruba land and we do not acccept this Okada trajectory as our way we deserve better and will NOT become another Jos!!
You will never find us asserting on how Kano should be run or Onitsha or Port Harcourt. Any one who wants Okada in their homelands should fight for it. We have taken a stand

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by NegroNtns(m): 8:19pm On Nov 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

I once saw a picture of what looked like a car parking lot, much smaller in size but similarly open, instead of cars they had rows and rows of bicycles in silver colors and black colors and many of them were close enough to read the brand "Swan" stamped on the post. On first view I mistook it for a bicycle dealership store front...its the only way I could imagine so many bicycles parked at a spot at same time.

I dont know if anyone here know who Peter Obe was. I suspected at one time that naptu was Peter Obe or his son or relative, given the many historical pictures he brings here. Anyway, for those who do not know, Peter Obe was a photo journalist, he freelanced. I saw this picture Im describing in his studio.

The bicycle parking lot was actually a park-and-ride for residents of Lagos Island who worked in the outskirts like Oshodi, Agege and so on.

There was a short train that commutes workers between Iddo terminus and the outskirts and these people rode bicycle across Carter bridge, park at Iddo, hop on train and go to work. Businesses and Industries built their plants and warehouses and offices close to the rail system back then. The workers get off at their stop and walk the short distance to clock in. There were workers in Ilupeju, Oshodi, Ikeja, Agege that lived on Island and went back and forth like this. This was in the 60s and into late 70s.

We can do park-and-ride again and there are many options open to us today than they had in that age.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Katsumoto: 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

I once saw a picture of what looked like a car parking lot, much smaller in size but similarly open, instead of cars they had rows and rows of bicycles in silver colors and black colors and many of them were close enough to read the brand "Swan" stamped on the post. On first view I mistook it for a bicycle dealership store front...its the only way I could imagine so many bicycles parked at a spot at same time.

I dont know if anyone here know who Peter Obe was. I suspected at one time that naptu was Peter Obe or his son or relative, given the many historical pictures he brings here. Anyway, for those who do not know, Peter Obe was a photo journalist, he freelanced. I saw this picture Im describing in his studio.

The bicycle parking lot was actually a park-and-ride for residents of Lagos Island who worked in the outskirts like Oshodi, Agege and so on.

There was a short train that commutes workers between Iddo terminus and the outskirts and these people rode bicycle across Carter bridge, park at Iddo, hop on train and go to work. Businesses and Industries built their plants and warehouses and offices close to the rail system back then. The workers get off at their stop and walk the short distance to clock in. There were workers in Ilupeju, Oshodi, Ikeja, Agege that lived on Island and went back and forth like this. This was in the 60s and into late 70s.

We can do park-and-ride again and there are many options open to us today than they had in that age.

I agree

My initial comments were based on the notion that trains would replace Okadas. Geez did not complete articulating the vision of train travel with other modes of transport.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by MegaMan2020: 8:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
GOOD!!! Get them out!!! They have been causing mayhem in Yorubaland for years. it's time they go back to their caves and villages in the East!!!
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by MegaMan2020: 9:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
Why should Yoruba governers be saddled with all this igbo Rif Raff that has flooded Lagos? Ban the Okadas the population will drop down to a manageable size again. The Igbos flood into the city by these thousands every single day. They're now flooding into different parts of Yorubaland like locusts. It's getting too much now lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by NegroNtns(m): 9:34pm On Nov 29, 2012
MegaMan2020: Why should Yoruba governers be saddled with all this igbo Rif Raff that has flooded Lagos? Ban the Okadas the population will drop down to a manageable size again. The Igbos flood into the city by these thousands every single day. They're now flooding into different parts of Yorubaland like locusts. It's getting too much now lipsrsealed

They are setting up satellite camps in West.

There is a thread here on the Yoruba Kiriji wars and I believe every Yoruba sons and daughters need to read that thread and pay close attention to the grievances that led to these wars and the treaties that resulted from it.

In particular reference I would love to mention my beloved Ijebu people. In countless reports by the Portuguese and then later the British, we were told how the riverines and the creeks were monopolized by the Ijebus who on many occassions waged wars against neighbors, Europeans were not spared in the bloodshed, in a rivalry for trade monopoly. Whoever controlled the waterways ruled market and pricing and Ijebus gave their lives, not just for control of the waters but indirectly also to serve as the godfathers to inter-exchange between the coast and the hinterland.

If Igbos succeed, unhindered and unimpeded, in rooting satellite camps from which to network trade and market in entire Yorubaland, then they will be sitting in the same position that the Ijebus were many many years ago. Its not about war or open hostilities, its about posessions.......land and right of way concessions. There are many aspects of this and how to counter it which I cant even and wont ever dare write in a public forum, but we need to study the Ijebu strategy and how it spread its tentacles and became an empire in its own right.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Katsumoto: 9:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

There is a thread here on the Yoruba Kiriji wars and I believe every Yoruba sons and daughters need to read that thread and pay close attention to the grievances that led to these wars and the treaties that resulted from it.

In particular reference I would love to mention my beloved Ijebu people. In countless reports by the Portuguese and then later the British, we were told how the riverines and the creeks were monopolized by the Ijebus who on many occassions waged wars against neighbors, Europeans were not spared in the bloodshed, in a rivalry for trade monopoly. Whoever controlled the waterways ruled market and pricing and Ijebus gave their lives, not just for control of the waters but indirectly also to serve as the godfathers to inter-exchange between the coast and the hinterland.

If Igbos succeed, unhindered and unimpeded, in rooting satellite camps from which to network trade and market in entire Yorubaland, then they will be sitting in the same position that the Ijebus were many many years ago. Its not about war or open hostilities, its about posessions.......land and right of way concessions. There are many aspects of this and how to counter it which I cant even and wont ever dare write in a public forum, but we need to study the Ijebu strategy and how it spread its tentacles and became an empire in its own right.

Prince Negro

You do know that the Ijebu were defeated at Imagbon in 1892 when they refused to grant access to right of way to the hinterland.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by occam(m): 10:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
Now the issue of banning Okada has turned into tribal chest beating and mudslinging

No matter the city Enugu, Aba, Lagos or Kaduna these bikers have become a menace and should be banned. Given the population and importance of Lagos, its more urgent.

People need to chill and remember that Lagos is not a Yoruba enclave. It's a vibrant city that’s thriving due to the diversity of tribes who call this city home. I say this as a Yoruba who grew up in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by NegroNtns(m): 10:10pm On Nov 29, 2012
You are correct Katz.

As many wars as they fought, it would be foolhardy to give them victory in everyone. They lost in the battle for Epe settlement in around 1850 as well and for the life of me I cant recall the name of that war.....but they sustained their aggression untill ultimately Epe fell into their fold.

Not enough has been written or could be written to do justice to the history of Ijebu. While the Oyo cavalry were well respected and honored for their horsemanship and brigandage, the Ijebus hardly are reckoned for their naval and marine tactics.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Crayola1: 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Wow poverty is bad thing...
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by NegroNtns(m): 10:18pm On Nov 29, 2012
Oh, ahem, Katz...its Chief Negro. You like starting fires grin
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by NegroNtns(m): 10:28pm On Nov 29, 2012
occam: Now the issue of banning Okada has turned into tribal chest beating and mudslinging

No matter the city Enugu, Aba, Lagos or Kaduna these bikers have become a menace and should be banned. Given the population and importance of Lagos, its more urgent.

People need to chill and remember that Lagos is not a Yoruba enclave. It's a vibrant city that’s thriving due to the diversity of tribes who call this city home. I say this as a Yoruba who grew up in Lagos.

There's diversity in every city of Nigeria. There is no one city peopled by only the origins of the land its located in. The focus is on social order and the impact of lawlessness on the conscience and spirit of people.

Yorubaland has its own moral codes and etiquettes regarding society and social interaction and these codes extend broadly all over the West wherever Ogboni existed. If Ogboni exist in Lagos, then Lagos, as many colored as its diversity is, is a Yoruba enclave.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Desola(f): 10:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
ilugunboy: Every day I see fewer and fewer Southerners riding these Okadas and their places been taken over by weird..rudely looking Abokis (read Nigeriens and Chadians)

...to me, it not a coincidence, there is more to it than that, they are more or less an infiltration army waiting for signal.

Very eerie! But true.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by EkoIle1: 11:17pm On Nov 29, 2012
Dipwater: I am not against banning okada but banning without the provision of alternative is the worst
People are suffering in lagos after the ban .armed robbers have taken it to another level .its complete breakdown of law and order .naija which way?

Nigerians are fond of supporting useless govt policies as long as it doesn't affect their own biness .put urself in their shoes and u will feel their pains .yes I agree with everyone in support of the okada ban but their things to consider b4 the ban

Things like

Unemployment

Security of lives and properties; some of those okada rider wuld end up as robbers terrorizing lagos state .we know some wuld be caught and set ablaze ,what about the lives and properties that wuld be lost b4 they are caught,the pains and scares they will leave behind .

We are truthful to ourselves ,areaboys(agberos) are still roaming about causing hardship in lagos state, the so called fashola can not do any thing about it.

No roads ,water transportation has gone into extinction,monorails are not in place ,the danfo drivers are as crazy asthe okada riders ,no bus stops,govt agencies like etc are very corrupt ,no link roads to ease traffic. And we have banned okada

Ok nau suffering continues ,I can see the life expectancy dropping from 46 to 26 and if u are above 26 ur clock is ticking u might drop dead any moment from now

Then chose between suffering and untimely okada related death. It's your choice.
Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by Horus(m): 11:35pm On Nov 29, 2012

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Groups Want Okada Banned In South West by 7lives: 12:01am On Nov 30, 2012
afam4eva:

Fashola should not provide alternative jobs for the okada men, they should change their business or relocate to another state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Online Registration / The Age of Illusion and Delusion (UPDATE: DO NOT FEAR DEATH) / What The Late Dr Chuba Okadigbo Said About Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.