Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% (17471 Views)

Okorocha Invests Innoson As IMSU Chancellor (pics) / Complaint On Harrasment Of Students By The Dean Of Uniben Faculty Of Law / Essay Competition For Secondary School Students By Uba Foundation Apply Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by cash22(m): 5:11pm On Nov 30, 2012
bravoo sir Rochas. we need more of your Kind
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by COOLDUN: 5:19pm On Nov 30, 2012
ifysoft:

You need to take it easy because this Governor has just decided not to steal public funds like other governors in our country. So lets appreciate him for helping the students in imo state as u and i know another governor might have done the opposite of this and then nothing will be improved in the schools..

Thank you very much for your wise reasoning; they would have loved him to siphon the fund, while Imo state will be in dept as his predecessors did. If Owelle Rochas Okorocha can develop educational sector in Imo state, by producing more educated people for the future of the state, during his tenure I will praise him a lot. After all the governors before him left many students behind and still accumulated dept for the state.

No government can deliver in all the sectors, but at least try in one than promising heaven and earth without doing anything. Education is the head of every sector, any government that succeeds in education have succeeded in all the sectors.

I know that sponsored distracters are on nairaland to oppose every positive move from the performing governors that do not belong to the Peoples Destroyers Party. God will judge all of them. God bless you, His Excellency Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha. The man on a rescue mission. God is on your side.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Forzap: 5:30pm On Nov 30, 2012
izubros: Hmmm!slashing school fees by 50% when acceptance fee is 70k.ie 100k total. . .clever criminal

guy seriously,u mean their acceptance is 70k?
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by COOLDUN: 5:31pm On Nov 30, 2012
Nd kings: What!
This man is a criminal,
which imo state indigenes ar enjoyin free edu?
Go to IMSU nw evrybody, bøt indigine and non-indigenes ar paying skul fees.
They hav evn increase d tuition fee 4 new studnts.

Which IMSU are you talking about? Why are people ingrates? Fashola increased tuition fees you criticized him, now Owelle Rochas have reduced the tuition fees, you are criticizing him also, what do you people really want from the government? I don’t think you are a student, from your spelling of school, shows that you are writing from the motor park. Get a life agbero.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by kenny1795(m): 5:40pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sijo01: This dude is indeed a Leader!
Like hell!!! Everything he sayz or do is false. Ask him y he sacked d imsu v.c Coz she wuldnt comply wit his directivez of givin only 20% indigene aspirant of d skul admissions.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Saksreal(f): 5:59pm On Nov 30, 2012
Where is the ACN(Tinubu, fashola and co) to learn from this?

Cnt wait till d anti-poor party is kicked out of Lagos
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2012
sirugos: my dear I belief dat u re a graduate like wise me. I graduated 2009 now pls educate me more on the difference btw free education and subsidised tuition fee. Bcoz d young man I mean rochas said he gave free education to imo indegen in tertiary institution. Guy dnt tell me dat rochas is a good governor rather he is good in talking. Guy man to the core
My point exactly is if paying 120K will stop one from going to scul and govt agrees to pay 83.3% of dat leaving u with 16.7%, surely, such a gesture requires commendation. If ur argument is why he should call it free, then I tell u dat is almost free. Look at his counterparts and u will doff ur hart for him, at least for this. Cheers.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by okeyfrank: 6:56pm On Nov 30, 2012
Free Education indeed.
It's very unfortunate that this clown of a governor is still able to deceive some shallow minded and illiterate Imolites with this free education of a thing. Fact remains that 'Free Education' is not possible in Imo State, at least with the present economic situation.
My cousins just paid N70,000.00 each as Acceptance fee to Imo State university and the governor, as indigenes, still under "Free Education', whereas throughout the last regime, the main Tuition fee was N30,000.00.

Prof. B.E.B. Nwoke has just been fired by Rochas, simply because he was opposed to his idea of granting 80% of the university intake to the declared Tuition paying non-indegenes and 20% to the indigenes. He has just instituted another fee called Ancillary fee in Imo State university for all students.

If people are forced to pay money in support of the so called free education, then is the education free? Which means that someone somewhere is being forced to pay. At Imo State Polytechnic, a large number of academic and non-academic staff have been forcefully retrenched, all in a bid to fund free education. The same thing is about happening in Imo State University and B.E.B. disagreed with the governor. The governor again is selling himself to the media while the state is going down. Economic activities here are on the decline yet, there are some noise about achievements.

Peoples' vehicle are being carried away with a fine of N25,000.00 and above all in the name of free education. Owerri is now amongst the dirtiest cities in Nigeria, still people are being forced to pay N6,000.00 each as fumigation fee, service which of-course was not delivered. They are forcing people to buy small refuse bins at N2500.00 each even if one has the same refuse bin already, all in the name of free education. There are now so much more task-forces extorting money from Imolites for the government, all in the name of looking for money to fund "Free Education"

The governor now temporarily owns Concorde Hotel, Imo Transport Company, as well as ADAPALM, all through his proxies. He can use the money he makes from these institution alone to fund his "Free Education", rather than deceiving himself, thinking that he was succeeding in deceiving the people.
I am so sure that, if the governor had gone through a university degree programme, he would have for real known how impossible his proposed ideas are, and this would have saved him the very mess of "Free Education" he is now.

Let him run the state as a state and stop this crazy greed for money. He has just succeeded in deceiving and shortchanging Imolites in less than two years, and sooner or later, he may not be able to contain the suffering and hunger he has so subjected the state to, while only him, his family, proxies, girlfriends and families are the very ones enjoying the money of the state.

Let him denounce his so called 'Free Education"' so that we can have peace in Imo State, as this is not working, period.

Furthermore, let him stop wasting our scarce resources on constructing the poor quality roads he is doing. The Inner and outer ring roads remain the two most important roads in the state capital; why must the governor abandon these roads if he truly means well for the state?
We are all watching him, and if he does not take time and reverse his cruel approach to governance, he will definitely face the same situation faced by his predecessor. He still needs to demolish all the over 300 sub-standard gates in the state capital territory which he is now denying knowledge of, despite his earlier claims to them, all because people are criticizing the idea. We are all watching, and some people "still dey laugh"

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by antontech(m): 7:25pm On Nov 30, 2012
desertboom: Fake news, how much is the school fee? If he did cut it down to 50%, how much is the new fee? It is either this news is incomplete or they're telling lies.

Why not go the imo state and ask them,bad belle.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Mekanze: 7:28pm On Nov 30, 2012
doctokwus: Anoda populist,poorly thought out move.Where will d funding for offsetting d balance to d institutions come from,or wi he now b owing salaries or cutting subventions?As long as he hasn't elaborated how to improve funding or @worst maintain d present funding,I don't think anyone shd b applauding him
Don't you know that Imo state is among oil producing area( NDDC,) There is money, is that some political office holders don't want to work.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by estyvino(m): 8:03pm On Nov 30, 2012
Well, some governors are busy giving out land that belong to higher institution. Oh'' it is painful.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by onyekabe(m): 8:56pm On Nov 30, 2012
DANILSA: THIS GUY IS BUSY WORKING HARD WHILE MY GOVERNOR IS BUSY PLANTING FLOWER AND MAKING MORE BILL BOARDS TO SPREAD MORE FALSE INFORMATION.BADBELLE PEOPLE MUST TALK BUT THE HONEST ONES WILL APPROVE YOUR EFFORT. CHUKWU GOZIE GI.
I guess you are from Delta state
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by amarral: 11:36pm On Nov 30, 2012
HOw much was imsu fees during d former regime, he can only deceive those he can big thief
izubros: Hmmm!slashing school fees by 50% when acceptance fee is 70k.ie 100k total. . .clever criminal
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sam Milla:

It is easier to call him ediot because he is not your wretched father who could not afford your school fees.
As shallow minded as you are, your silly mind did not tell you that everybody does not do the same thing at the same time. While the allocation of Imo state is far bigger than that of Enugu, have you taken out time to see that Enugu is far more better than Owerri?
[color=#006600][quote author=Sam Milla] Better than owerri in what aspect?
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by somegirl1: 12:38am On Dec 01, 2012
what happens after graduation?
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by jaybee(f): 3:29am On Dec 01, 2012
doctokwus: Anoda populist,poorly thought out move.Where will d funding for offsetting d balance to d institutions come from,or wi he now b owing salaries or cutting subventions?As long as he hasn't elaborated how to improve funding or @worst maintain d present funding,I don't think anyone shd b applauding him

you just can't conclude it is 'populist, poorly thought out'. the staff salaries/allowances and maintenance funding, for all public schools and institutions, are budgeted and disbursed by the state.

it appears over the years these high school fees were not used for development of the respective schools, but went to private pockets, while govt funds the schools 100% and gets the blame 100%. if govt can not ensure judicious use of the proceeds of school fees, considered to be on the high side, and is not convinced that the students get commensurate value for it, then it is justified to temper with the school fees to a reasonable extent. after all Gov Okorocha is running a welfarist agenda in his state.

my thoughts are, will these policies endure after his tenure?
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by KDULAR: 6:44am On Dec 01, 2012
Yes I enjoyed the free education program, but whether the government of the day steals or not, Nigeria and indeed most of the states are lagging behind in social, infrastructural and other amenities. These including education are necessary for development but as things are presently, no government world wide can provide freee education up till the university level. Besides that, university education and other post secondary school education should not be made compulsory but a necesssary personal choice which the seeker SHOULD be ready to pay for.

One of the reasons why we cannot protest on poor state of facilities and level of lecturing tutoring , mentoring and directing in our universities and the sorry state of a good number of our undergraduate not really representing the undergraduate status is because THEY PAY VIRTUALLY SOMETHING NON COMMENSURATE WITH WHAT THE EDUCATION REALLY IS WORTH.

As much as it is a populist idea which I commend him for in the first place, let us remove our mind from this AWUF mentality and get serious and be ready to pay even a reasonable token for education ( something reasonably weighty).
ifysoft:

You enjoyed free/low fee education then because our leaders were not stealing too much..
Now the schools are in bad state only because our leaders are stealing too much and have refused to use the funds the states get in the right way.
The Imo state governor has simply refused to steal or should i just say he is using a larger part of the state funds to do things right and small amount for his self. as nobody holy pass...
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by ujchief(m): 7:35am On Dec 01, 2012
desertboom: I am a student of this Institution, I know everything. People just read paper, watch news and then conclude.

Let me break it down for those shouting about Rochas being the best.

If given admission today in IMSU as a fresher, you are expected to pay;

Acceptance fee 70,000
School fees 120,000 and 150,000 for non-indegens.

Mind you the scholarship has not been given to year one because they've no applied yet

Abeg, who is smarter? Is this free education?
i was waiting for an imsu student to make an input b4 i comment. Here is it! Acceptance fee of 70k is absurd. 70k will cover for both school fees, acceptance fee and hostel accomodation in some universities. Sounds more like robing peter to pay paul.
My take, make imsu a word class university of international standard. Its better to give people quality education than quantity education.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 01, 2012
ujchief:
i was waiting for an imsu student to make an input b4 i comment. Here is it! Acceptance fee of 70k is absurd. 70k will cover for both school fees, acceptance fee and hostel accomodation in some universities. Sounds more like robing peter to pay paul.
My take, make imsu a word class university of international standard. Its better to give people quality education than quantity education.
70K for freshers alone. The sophomores, penultimates and finalists do not pay the 70K or are they? Nobody disputes the fact that quality should not be traded on the alter of quantity, bt fact remains that govt has intervened in Imo students welfarem
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by chimaobikanu(m): 11:11am On Dec 01, 2012
i need a tipple like button for this reply. tell them, wish they had someone like T.A Orji as Enugu state Governor, then they would have known!
Sam Milla:

It is easier to call him ediot because he is not your wretched father who could not afford your school fees.
As shallow minded as you are, your silly mind did not tell you that everybody does not do the same thing at the same time. While the allocation of Imo state is far bigger than that of Enugu, have you taken out time to see that Enugu is far more better than Owerri?
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by desertboom(m): 11:29am On Dec 01, 2012
This news has never enlighten us how much the new fee is, what I can only read is 50% reduction.
Fake news, deceit and lies everywhere.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by steinacoz(m): 12:38pm On Dec 01, 2012
I sincerely respect the way dis man (Rochas lies),it is superb.
He issued free education that did not affect 20% of imolites in IMSU, indirectly increased the school fees.
That man is a thief.......
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2012
steinacoz: I sincerely respect the way dis man (Rochas lies),it is superb.
He issued free education that did not affect 20% of imolites in IMSU, indirectly increased the school fees.
That man is a thief.......
How did he do that? Please, clarify us of your statements.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by GeneralGaricks: 8:26pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I see that I've ruffled some kidnappers' nest.

The truth is bad for business abi? e pele.

Gerrout. Kidnappers dont go for hungry people like Ileke itti. Onuku!!!

Moreover Delta is number one state in kidnap cases followed by Imo state. @no other south east state suffers kidnap saga.

Stop being stupid and the mods wont ban ur a. $$ for being ethnically biased.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by lionphil(m): 8:28pm On Dec 01, 2012
hmm! I have been reading comments and all i have been doing is shaking my head and almost falling into tears. Pls pls pls, if u are not residing in Imo and u are not a student of one of the state owned schools, pls S.HUT d F.CUK UP. How dare you, i mean how dare you come here to comment on something u know absolutely nothing about. I went to western nigeria recently and i heard his(the governor's) gingles on roads and what have u. I SWEAR!! This man has done nothing but make much noise. Listen to those of us living and schooling here, he is not giving free education. All he does is make outsiders believe all is well in the state.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2012
General Garicks:
Kidnappers dont go for hungry people like Ileke itti.

But they go for hungry people like you? grin

Please, leave your picture and address on this thread. Unfortunately, NL won't pay to have you released if you dare grin grin grin
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by GeneralGaricks: 8:44pm On Dec 01, 2012
''I will still become President''. Comment by Rochas.

I see him becoming President with this trend.

Dont hide this comment and dont ban the handle. Think like a human.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by noskybanj(m): 9:53pm On Dec 01, 2012
Can't really believ sm people r criticising dis man. Is it cos he is doing dis 1 4 d non imo's?
D state make money nd he is using it 2 help people nd sm people r sad. Wat if he av kept dis money 2 himself like d previous governors did, would dat av bin beta? God bless u gvnr Rochas jare, make ur hatters go hug trans4ma
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by augustineerebi(m): 10:59am On Dec 02, 2012
Wat is naija turning to...we al be naijarians..make we pay equal jare.
Re: Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% by kcbaba0071(m): 11:31am On Dec 02, 2012
grin grin LASU STUDENTS GET READY TO MIGRATE

GALLOP ON ROCHAS!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PICS:See Why UNILORIN Is Far 'better By Far' / Jamb:Posting Of Candidates To Their School Of Choice / University Of Abuja Ex-Students Protest Over Statement Of Results (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.