Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,932 members, 7,835,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! (21861 Views)

I Still Wash My Husband’s Underwears - Folorunsho Alakija / Folorunsho Alakija: Nigeria’s Richest Woman [photos] / Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
defashan: ...............HAUSA MAN....RICHEST BLACKMAN

...............YORUBA WOMAN...RICHEST BLACK WOMAN

.............Igbo.................?
Ppl are making money you are here identifying on the basis of tribe. Looser
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by AndroBlaze: 9:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
manny4life:

Those figures aren't correct, this is the problem with journalism. when Forbes, an organization that values assets did thier numbers, it thoroughly carried out their research and computed their numbers very well. We can't go by hearsay nor comparing apples with oranges.

1. Mrs Alakija DOES NOT control 60% of the oil field. In fact according to the participant data culled from "WOOD MACKENZIE" - A global research and consulting firm in the field of Energy, Mining and Metals. Famfa Oil (a company owned by Ms. Alakija and family controls 10% of the said well. If you read the background, you will see that NNPC controls a whopping 50%.

2. According to production data obtained by same group, though the well does have a production limit of 250,000 bpd, however, the well in question has never reached 100% production limit. The data showed that production was between 157 AND 159 from 2011 to 2014 forecast. After 2014, production will dwindle largely because major operators are exiting the field. Therefore, isn't it VERY FALSE to claim 200,000bpd that's not even drilled. If they assessed based on reserve levels, one can understand, however doing so by production level (not 100%) is grossly false
Kai!! We Nigerians and ITK sha........

If you had bothered to read the original link or even the secondary link from the UK newspaper you would see that your point 1 makes you the carrier of old gist and the one that didn't carry out his research properly; thus I wonder if anyone should even give any credence to your point 2.

Anyway my Biafran brother, you can see that this habit you developed of ignoring links you don't like can leave you with yoke on your face.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by ajadek(m): 10:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
yuzedo: Igbe Malu! grin undecided

Na by like that dem dey take become richest black woman? Haha! If i hear!

So from former fashion designer/tailor of Maryam Babangida, dis madam put oyel bloc for pocket? Okay, issorai.. e dey happen. But why ride on our sensibilities and form richest black woman?? On Earth?! How much did T.Y Danjuma get when he divested from his oil bloc venture? Are the figures before or after tax? Have all deductibles been made? Have the other stakeholders collected their cut? What is HER PERSONAL equity share in the Oil Company? This woman is not even the richest woman in Nigeria. Make she go rest with her propaganda, abi is she trying to impress her society women's club? We need another story.
I wonder ooo,where us her depot,mega station,vessel etc compared with mrs oil,dangote sectary can put her money inside wallet,where mrs ajimobi they 1bn go london every 2 2 weeks,mariam abacha is there,a lot woman like,hajia maria in kano etc

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by ajadek(m): 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2012
ajadek: I wonder ooo,where is her depot,mega station,vessel etc compared with mrs oil,dangote sectary can put her money inside wallet,where mrs ajimobi they take €400k go london every 2 2 weeks,mariam abacha is there,a lot woman like,hajia maria in kano etc
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by yuzedo: 10:15pm On Dec 05, 2012
ajadek: I wonder ooo,where us her depot,mega station,vessel etc compared with mrs oil,dangote sectary can put her money inside wallet,where mrs ajimobi they 1bn go london every 2 2 weeks,mariam abacha is there,a lot woman like,hajia maria in kano etc
**ROLLING!!!!** grin grin grin
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by mkoabiola: 10:29pm On Dec 05, 2012
I av 1 of d son noba ,we were class mates in kings college,holla me if u need it privately.For ladies only.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Builder: 12:05am On Dec 06, 2012
sleekdot: Richest Black man in the World : Nigerian

Richest black woman in the world: Nigerian

Poorest people in the world : Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 2:42am On Dec 06, 2012
Most Nigerians are just bunch of useless money worshipers! It is a shame that country is deceiving a lot of them. Please, fight for your rights and force the government to provide you with basic facilities!
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by skyfall: 4:35am On Dec 06, 2012
kabaka1: Kudos to this naija lioness. She's such s great inspiration for both women & men 2 & I hope that produces more of her kind in d near future grin cheesy cool

I'm skeptical of this kind of "hard work" as inspiration for my sister or daughter. We all know how people get oil wells in Nigeria. I wish her well though.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by stantob(m): 5:51am On Dec 06, 2012
Na de woman herself I wan marry, no be her daughter.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by kunyeo(m): 6:12am On Dec 06, 2012
I think I know a littlle of her pedigree.Her mothet was Mrs.Alakija,the first woman Head of Service in the old Oyo-state.She is also the only daughter to the late Ooni of ife,oba adesoji aderemi,married into the great adeyemo alakija family.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 06, 2012
All of you are happy about someone else's success, instead of you to try and make your own. To be sincere, this woman used to live close to our house back then in the 90's she was just an average woman doing business. But now, after about 19 yrs later, she's now the richest black woman. Well, it was because she went into the oil and Gas business. How we wish we had made friends with her back then. We are still here...now she has blown....God bless her.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by loomy(m): 10:51am On Dec 06, 2012
What a time wasting post!
What if the woman is not satisfied with what she has,what if she has an unseen fire hurting her?
LORD,if u want to make me rich,make it an all-round richness(spiritually,mentally,materially and financially)
JUST TRYIN TO LOOK AT TINS THE ODA WAY ROUND.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by modskiller(m): 10:57am On Dec 06, 2012
Hard work pays off
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Gideonyte(m): 1:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
manny4life:

Those figures aren't correct, this is the problem with journalism. when Forbes, an organization that values assets did thier numbers, it thoroughly carried out their research and computed their numbers very well. We can't go by hearsay nor comparing apples with oranges.

1. Mrs Alakija DOES NOT control 60% of the oil field. In fact according to the participant data culled from "WOOD MACKENZIE" - A global research and consulting firm in the field of Energy, Mining and Metals. Famfa Oil (a company owned by Ms. Alakija and family controls 10% of the said well. If you read the background, you will see that NNPC controls a whopping 50%.

2. According to production data obtained by same group, though the well does have a production limit of 250,000 bpd, however, the well in question has never reached 100% production limit. The data showed that production was between 157 AND 159 from 2011 to 2014 forecast. After 2014, production will dwindle largely because major operators are exiting the field. Therefore, isn't it VERY FALSE to claim 200,000bpd that's not even drilled. If they assessed based on reserve levels, one can understand, however doing so by production level (not 100%) is grossly false

My man, she now does effective from this year. NNPC relinquished their 50% of Agbami to her (she now has 60%, only God knows what her profit margin is now!). Her working interest was initially 10% which translated to 3.33% profit share on 160,000bbls/day of production.

You are very correct about the WoodMackenzie report, however they have not updated their report on Agbami to reflect current realities.

One thing is sure though, she must have struck a deal with the govt in power, because there's no reason why NNPC would let go of their 50% if some powerful people are not behind it.

I'm telling you bro, Nigeria has gone to the dogs. God help us!

To educate the ignorant on this thread and clarify the location of Agbami Block. You'll see that it's located offshore BAYELSA/RIVERS STATE.

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by kinguwem: 6:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Abyjah: Now that we know, can we please talk about Jesus?

He told a parable about a billionaire agric-tycoon and Lazarus the poor.
Lazarus died and the billionaire couldn't buy out death either. It was in death he realized his billions couldn't buy a drop of water from Abraham's finger.

Vanity though I want it!

Please work hard now to get money. When times are hard, you may not remember the gospel but may be forced to be a kidnapper to get money.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by mekaboy(m): 7:38pm On Dec 06, 2012
ON A GOOD START UP WITHOUT CORRUPTION, DANGOTE AND THIS WOMAN WILL NOT BE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO FORBES LIST.

BOTH OF THEM ARE FRONTING FOR CORRUPT POLITICIANS WHO HAVE HUGE STAKE IN THEIR COMPANIES.

WITHOUT THE HELP OF PAST PRESIDENTS, SUPPORTING DANGOTE TO FORCEFULLY MONOPOLIZE CEMENT, SUGAR ETC , HOW WILL HE AMOUNT TO RICHEST MAN.

OF COURSE WE KNOW THAT ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH OIL BLOCK IN NIGERIA IS CORRUPT, SO WITH THOROUGH INVESTIGATION, YOU WILL DISCOVER THE MAIN PEOPLE THIS WOMAN ACCOUNT TO.

IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE, FOR ANY NIGERIAN BASED IN NIGERIA TO MAKE IT TO THE LIST OF WORLD RICHEST PEOPLE WITHOUT CORRUPTION .

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 07, 2012
mekaboy: ON A GOOD START UP WITHOUT CORRUPTION, DANGOTE AND THIS WOMAN WILL NOT BE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO FORBES LIST.

BOTH OF THEM ARE FRONTING FOR CORRUPT POLITICIANS WHO HAVE HUGE STAKE IN THEIR COMPANIES.

WITHOUT THE HELP OF PAST PRESIDENTS, SUPPORTING DANGOTE TO FORCEFULLY MONOPOLIZE CEMENT, SUGAR ETC , HOW WILL HE AMOUNT TO RICHEST MAN.

OF COURSE WE KNOW THAT ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH OIL BLOCK IN NIGERIA IS CORRUPT, SO WITH THOROUGH INVESTIGATION, YOU WILL DISCOVER THE MAIN PEOPLE THIS WOMAN ACCOUNT TO.

IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE, FOR ANY NIGERIAN BASED IN NIGERIA TO MAKE IT TO THE LIST OF WORLD RICHEST PEOPLE WITHOUT CORRUPTION .

You're 90% correct Emeka.

one can't be richer than the economy in which he or she operates, otherwise, it raises questions. The prosperous Western countries and emerging Tigers produce genuine billionaires, wnereas poverty stricken, economically comatose backwater dungeons like Nigeria purport to produce the richest Man and Woman in the black world? Genuinely? How possible is that?

It's just like the Russian oligarchs. . .who got wealthy by gang-banging their country's commonwealth. It's not quite the same thing as the likes of Marc Zukerberg, Warren Buffet, or Amancio Ortega - who got wealthy though genuine hard work, talent, and/or 'luck'. Alakija would NEVER be as inspirational as Oprah Winfrey, in that regard.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 08, 2012
Where did she get all those money?
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by ghm: 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2012
I took my time to read the full story with all the links and I discovered that the story is true.

She was allotted the oil block in 1993 by Babangida Administration. You will recall that Danjuma said categorically that he sold his own for one billion (1993) US dollars but Alakija did not sell her own but went into partnership with Star Deep(a subsidiary of Chevron) for a 40% stake. when they struck oil, NNPC under OBJ took over the 50% stake and her take was reduced to 10%. Forbes estimate of her $600m USD last year was based on the 10% stake.

She went to court that NNPC has no right to take over 50% without spending a dime and she claimed she spent an average of about 3 billion USD annually to get to a productive stage before NNPC decided to take it over. After a couple of years of legal battle, the Supreme Court in May 2012 ruled in her favour and that was how she owned 60% again and that projected her net-worth to over 3 billion USD ahead of Oprah's 2.7 billion as the world's richest black woman.

The breakthrough started in 1993 (19 years) ago and no wonder the success.

I really appreciate this woman for her tenacity in not selling her own oil block like some other people who are privileged to be given oil block then. If she had done so, this story won't have come up today. the so called $ 3B stake will be to some foreigners.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Horus(m): 11:07pm On Sep 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZlsQF3Q_2c

[size=15pt]Folorunsho Alakija Becomes World's Richest Black Woman[/size]

According to Ventures Africa, an African business magazine and news service, the richest black woman in the world is NO LONGER Oprah Wilfrey but Nigerian Billionaire oil tycoon Folorunsho Alakija. The report suggests that the 61 year-old owner/founder of Famfa oil is worth at least $3.3 billion, $500 million richer than media mogul Oprah Winfrey whose wealth Forbes magazine estimated at $2.7 billion in September. Infact, Alakija's claim in a $10.74 billion oil well is worth $6.44 billion. But the report subtracts 50% of the $6.44 billion (in a worse case scenario) since it is unknown whether or not the company has any long-term or short-term debt. In essence, If Famfa oil is debt free, Mrs Alakija will undisputedly be the world's richest black woman with $6.4 billion dollars. She is also reported to have a real estate portfolio running into hundreds of millions.It was reported earlier this year that she acquired a property at Hyde Park in London for $102 million. She also owns a Bombardier Global Express 6000 jet which she bought earlier this year for a reported $46 million.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by Nobody: 1:41am On Sep 15, 2013
Horus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZlsQF3Q_2c

[size=15pt]Folorunsho Alakija Becomes World's Richest Black Woman[/size]

According to Ventures Africa, an African business magazine and news service, the richest black woman in the world is NO LONGER Oprah Wilfrey but Nigerian Billionaire oil tycoon Folorunsho Alakija. The report suggests that the 61 year-old owner/founder of Famfa oil is worth at least $3.3 billion, $500 million richer than media mogul Oprah Winfrey whose wealth Forbes magazine estimated at $2.7 billion in September. Infact, Alakija's claim in a $10.74 billion oil well is worth $6.44 billion. But the report subtracts 50% of the $6.44 billion (in a worse case scenario) since it is unknown whether or not the company has any long-term or short-term debt. In essence, If Famfa oil is debt free, Mrs Alakija will undisputedly be the world's richest black woman with $6.4 billion dollars. She is also reported to have a real estate portfolio running into hundreds of millions.It was reported earlier this year that she acquired a property at Hyde Park in London for $102 million. She also owns a Bombardier Global Express 6000 jet which she bought earlier this year for a reported $46 million.
Yet she is not on Forbes list
Re: Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! by somtookeke(m): 6:17am On Jan 08, 2020
62-year-old oil tycoon and fashionista, Folorunsho Alakija, has reportedly unseated media executive, talk show host, and philanthropist, Oprah Winfrey.

According to American business magazine, Forbes magazine, Alakija’s fortune has been estimated at $600 million, as of November 2012, however, the magazine’s editor-in-chief Uzodinma Iweala said his researchers were ‘closer to the ground.’

Expatiating the reports, they noted that Brazilian oil company, Petrobas, was looking to sell its 8 per cent stake in OML 127 for $1.5- $2.5 billion, and extrapolated that if they managed to sell it for $1 billion, Alakija’s 60 per cent stake would be worth at least $7.3 billion.

Read More: wink wink wink wink

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/forbes-folorunsho-alakija-unseats-oprah.html

Other headlines

Rockets hit Iraq base where US troops are located

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/rockets-hit-iraq-base-where-us-troops.html

21 wonderful Health Benefits of Oha Leave within 3 days

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/21-wonderful-health-benefits-of-oha.html

11 facts about Nigeria's Oshoala, Africa's best female footballer who dropped school for football

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/11-facts-about-nigeria-oshoala-africa.html

Everything I Was Taught In School Was All Lies – Naira Marley

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/everything-i-was-taught-in-school-was.html

CAF Awards 2019: Sadio Mane is Africa’s best player

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/caf-awards-2019-sadio-mane-is-africas.html

Like , Share, Comment grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COO, Mohammed Jameel Leaves Glo Over Mike Adenuga’s Bad Manners / Top 10 Richest Nigerians. / Aba Shoemakers Jittery Over Chinese Shoe Magnete’s Investment In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.