Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

No Valentine! Saudi Authorities - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / No Valentine! Saudi Authorities (892 Views)

When Boyfriend Says No Valentine Gift For Girlfriend [hilarious Photo] / No Valentine's Day In Nigeria Come 2015! / In Your Thirties And No Valentine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by youngies(m): 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2008
Religious police in Saudi Arabia are banning the sale of Valentine's Day gifts including red roses, a local newspaper has reported.
The Saudi Gazette quoted shop workers as saying that officials had warned them to remove all red items including flowers and wrapping paper.

Black market prices for roses were already rising, the paper said.

Saudi authorities consider Valentine's Day, along with a host of other annual celebrations, as un-Great Religious.

In addition to the prohibition on celebrating non-Great Religious festivals, the authorities consider Valentine's Day as encouraging relations between men and women outside wedlock - punishable by law in the conservative kingdom.

The Saudi Gazette reported that some people placed orders with florists days or weeks before Valentine's Day in anticipation of the ban, which is a regular occurrence.

"Sometimes we deliver the bouquets in the middle of the night or early morning, to avoid suspicion," one florist said.

Others were planning to travel to the more religiously liberal neighbouring countries, Bahrain or the United Arab Emirates, to celebrate.

Saudi Arabian authorities impose a strict Great Religious code that prevents men and women from mixing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7239005.stm
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by eyebeekay(f): 4:38pm On Feb 11, 2008
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by opokonwa(m): 4:56pm On Feb 11, 2008
This one na news?

What do you expect from a 100% muslim country
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by olanajim(m): 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2008
I love that. I wish Nigeria would follow that path!
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by booyaya(f): 6:48pm On Feb 11, 2008
So? What's the big deal? I don't celebrate valentines either. My uni is full of valentine atmosphere right now that it makes me SICK! I wish it was banned here. . .life would be much saner. I feel sorry for any fool who dares to get me a valentine. . .they are so going to see the wrong side of me. angry
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by olanajim(m): 9:59am On Feb 12, 2008
I like seeing the wrong side of people. If I weren't busy, I'd have send you a roasted chicken as val gift when I know that you allowee is running out.
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by Faitymine(m): 10:03am On Feb 12, 2008
Aba! That's just too much! grin grin grin
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by ndelta1(m): 10:08am On Feb 12, 2008
HAA BAA,

I TIRE OOOOO,

MAKE I NO VAL,

EXCEPT WORK AND

I MUST VAL,
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by ayeesha: 10:14am On Feb 12, 2008
@ olanajim

pls now, try and make out time to send that chicken cry

inshort, you MUST send that chicken angry grin
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by olanajim(m): 10:16am On Feb 12, 2008
How do I do that? Don't worry. I would send it. I don't promise, but I shall see!

Ayeesha, are you interested?
Re: No Valentine! Saudi Authorities by olanajim(m): 10:18am On Feb 12, 2008
How do I do that? Don't worry. I would send it. I don't promise, but I shall see!

Ayeesha, are you interested?

(1) (Reply)

Guys In Real Love. / Work Stress On Marriage. / He Loves Me Because :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.