Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria (14229 Views)

Independence Day Speech By Hon Patrick On Nigeria At 52 Years / Nigeria At 52 Need To Reserve To Old Glory / Ribadu And North: North Plan To Rule Till 2019 Making 52 Years In Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by ciphoenix: 11:24am On Dec 01, 2012
geez*:

Can you confirm the figure? How stupid

Maybe I should break it down for you:

75 out of 1000 children that are born never survive (Age=0yrs, which forces down the average life expectancy)
0.3m children die of malaria each year (now this excludes all other diseases)
When you factor these, child mortality is high forcing down the average life expectancy. My grandparents all lived to be over 80yrs but this doesn't mean there arent a lot more people who never got a chance to see their grand kids, never got to see their kids, never got to start school, never got to suckle their moms. Our healthcare is poor and people die for the smallest of reasons
well said, a lot of indices affect the life expectancy figures.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by omenziate(m): 11:31am On Dec 01, 2012
Hmmmm, wahala dey o. Well d dying bracket for my family na 82 yrs. God go make me cross that age in Jesus name.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 01, 2012
geez*:

Can you confirm the figure? How stupid

Maybe I should break it down for you:

75 out of 1000 children that are born never survive (Age=0yrs, which forces down the average life expectancy)
0.3m children die of malaria each year (now this excludes all other diseases)
When you factor these, child mortality is high forcing down the average life expectancy. My grandparents all lived to be over 80yrs but this doesn't mean there arent a lot more people who never got a chance to see their grand kids, never got to see their kids, never got to start school, never got to suckle their moms. Our healthcare is poor and people die for the smallest of reasons

You have NOT shown any mathematical calculations that can account for the claimed life expectancy of 52. Merely stating that ''0.3 million children die of malaria each year'' is not enough. 0.1 million Americans die in car accidents each year, in addition to 17,0000 murders annually. Also 571,000 (0.6 million) Americans die of cancer each year. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/news/annualreport-u.s-cancer-death-rates-decline-but-disparities-remain

All this doesn't seem to have touched their life expectancy rate as published by that report.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Hoodrat(m): 11:40am On Dec 01, 2012
All this olofo oyinb are realy annoying and cazy people they must be speaking from their anus, so anybody can just wake up and put a whoe population down just to make theirselves and their race feels good? huh how ironic. Check the top rank then you will know imperializm and racist at its best of course caucassian are expected to live longer my a s s. My grand father is still keepig it strong at 102 and my dad is is over 65 and still healthy as ever. undecided
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Hoodrat(m): 11:55am On Dec 01, 2012
geez*:

I've modified my post. You must have dropped out of school. In a country of 1,000 people, if 600 die at 100yrs and 400 die at 0yrs. What's the life expectancy? I will consider you worthy of an intelligent argument if you can answer that.

Mr man be quite and go suck your oyinbo balls you pig worshiper. stop making fool of yourself glorifying racism designed to put your race down. angry
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by slimyem: 12:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
My great grandma is a hundred and plus years old and still living in my family house...!
We dey pray make she die sef...she nor gree..
This report is Bullshit.
Nigerians generally die hard...against all odds!
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by KINGwax(m): 12:30pm On Dec 01, 2012
Be killing yourself there. You people are dunderheads to be takin craps from these idiotts who themselve don't even live past 50yrs. With all their fuckin healthcare systems on ground, it'll be waste of time tryin to figure how many of them die of cancer and all that yearly!
They do all sort of drugs that after many yrs in circulation, some scientist come up with claims dt prolong usage of it causes this and that and all fuckin adverse effects!
Yo better learn to do simple exercise like workin and gardening instead of sitting your fat fucck in the ac all days long. Walking with your cars all on the street! Eating fast food junk everytime and drinkin juices!
If u wanna live longer than yrs, do exercise, eat fruits, eat vegetables, drink lots of water, sleep fine, laugh and smile, and ask your grannie for that concortion and herbs she drinks even time even when not sick and you'll be amazed!
My grandma died at 107 with all teeth intact and strong. She died fine! Keep reading and bilivin is stupid reports! That's how they come up wit 'nigerian women are the most promiscous' when we all knw indecency is thier middle name. Their females fucck anythin dt moves and don't give a fucck abt it!!!
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
slimyem: My great grandma is a hundred and plus years old and still living in my family house...!
This report is Bullshit.

You grandma lived in a different era , they were a very content and hard-working people in those days.

Today with the increased level of both armed and pen robbery, quick to get rich schemes and attitude, poor water and sanitation with the resultant plague of diseases, inhalation of carbon monoxide and silent death from it's fumes through constant use of generators, high rate of employment and job insecurity with associated rocketing stress levels, poor diet , bad roads with thousands of accidents annually , it should come as no surprise to you that the life expectancy in Nigerian is very low and shameful for a nation that once had it all.

Even our politicians peg off between 50-65.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 01, 2012
KINGwax: Be killing yourself there. You people are dunderheads to be takin craps from these idiotts who themselve don't even live past 50yrs. With all their fuckin healthcare systems on ground, it'll be waste of time tryin to figure how many of them die of cancer and all that yearly!
They do all sort of drugs that after many yrs in circulation, some scientist come up with claims dt prolong usage of it causes this and that and all fuckin adverse effects!
Yo better learn to do simple exercise like workin and gardening instead of sitting your fat fucck in the ac all days long. Walking with your cars all on the street! Eating fast food junk everytime and drinkin juices!
If u wanna live longer than yrs, do exercise, eat fruits, eat vegetables, drink lots of water, sleep fine, laugh and smile, and ask your grannie for that concortion and herbs she drinks even time even when not sick and you'll be amazed!
My grandma died at 107 with all teeth intact and strong. She died fine! Keep reading and bilivin is stupid reports! That's how they come up wit 'nigerian women are the most promiscous' when we all knw indecency is thier middle name. Their females fucck anythin dt moves and don't give a fucck abt it!!!

Take a deep breath and stop this emotional hyperventilation.

In the UK there are diseases but they generally catch up with people in their 50s and 60s and even then, with the health care system and good diet, people generally recover from most of these illnesses and a large number make it into their late 70s to late 80s.

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by ballabriggs: 12:50pm On Dec 01, 2012
Haha even Shymexx wey dey hide for Peckham talks of people dying early in the UK.

You want to see old people in these country, go outside London. Visit Hampshire, Yorkshire or even Scotland you'd be shocked at the number of old people you see in those zones walking the streets. WW2 veterans meanwhile my Grand papa dem wey fight for the same war done die finish. But it has a social implication for them in that they have few people to take care of their ageing population.

If you have problems with the methodology used by W.H.O in arriving at the statistics please set up your own statistical data collection agency and do it yourself. I am sick of empty heads who have no knowledge of the methodology used by these guys in arriving at their conclusion moaning all day about defeat.

Life expectancy does not necessarily mean the number of old people in the population. There are factors used by these statisticians in arriving at what to expect for example, disease prevalence rate, healthcare expenditure e.t.c. However, what we find is that in most countries with a high life expectancy, there is usually a high percentage of old in the society.

So do your own or shut up, simple cool

2 Likes

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by OneNaira6: 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2012
slimyem: My great grandma is a hundred and plus years old and still living in my family house...!
This report is Bullshit.

The problem with some Nigerians is that we do not like believing anything the west writes about Nigeria. They not saying that every Nigerian life expectancy 52, there is always an exception. My grandmother lived a long life too. They saying on average, the life expectancy of a Nigerian is 52 or less. We cannot deny this because we all have been on NL and seen articles about the killings of students in college, boko haram bombing, ritual killing, arm robbery, gang killing, among many other things. There are those, like your grandmother, who lived a very long life in Nigeria but a thousand or even millions of Nigerians who aren't as lucky as your grandmother

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Msauza(m): 1:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
ROSSIKE: ^^Don't mind these dummies. If the white man publishes research claiming all their mothers were man-eating tortoises they'd believe it.

By the way I also do not believe that South Africa has a life expectancy of 49.5 or whatever is claimed on that list above.

Point of correction, Life expectancy of South Africa has risen to 60 years. I have seen it recently on the news.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Freiburger(m): 1:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
A very disturbing analysis. embarassed
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by ciphoenix: 1:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
ROSSIKE:

You have NOT shown any mathematical calculations that can account for the claimed life expectancy of 52. Merely stating that ''0.3 million children die of malaria each year'' is not enough. 0.1 million Americans die in car accidents each year, in addition to 17,0000 murders annually. Also 571,000 (0.6 million) Americans die of cancer each year. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/news/annualreport-u.s-cancer-death-rates-decline-but-disparities-remain

All this doesn't seem to have touched their life expectancy rate as published by that report.
this would only affect the life expectancy greatly if the age groups mostly affected affected are young and middle age
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by adconline(m): 5:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
ROSSIKE: I've never accepted the claim that the average Nigerian lives to just 52 years.
Can you give us your own peer reviewed data? Naija mentality of disputing facts without having their own data!

2 Likes

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
@ROSSIKE, please take up adconline's challenge pronto.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by adconline(m): 5:23pm On Dec 01, 2012
This report is Bullshit.
Give us your own data, saying this figure is bullshit does not cut it. Using your grandma's age is not an empirical evidence. Here is a simple research for you. Check 50-100 names in your extended family born between 1930 to date, living and dead, compute all their ages if living, or age at death, get the average . Then compare that with that of ur grandma. Your grandma is an outlier!

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Dec 01, 2012
nex: The fact that you saw a hundred year old Nigerian doesn't mean the life expectancy has increased.

[size=15pt]Go to the graveyard and check the ages inscribe on the gravestones. People in their 20s and 30s are dying at an alarming rate.[/size]

The real reason for Nigeria's low life expectancy though, is the high infant mortality. By the time you add the ages of the hundreds of babies dying daily, to the few aged people, you find the average is about 46-52.

I dream of living past 50, but the way this country is, I'm doubtful.

Thank you very much!!
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by sambos994(m): 5:53pm On Dec 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Thank you very much!!

Are you in support of this research?
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2012
sambos994:

Are you in support of this research?

I am in support of common sense. Saying my grandmother died at 89, and ignoring the fact that more than 20 of her friends and relatives did not even make it to the age of 50( she lost most of her family before she even got to age 50), does not help anyone. When you consider the rate at which people die in that country, as a whole, it should send shivers down any human spine.

Anyways,if you have reasonable numbers to counter the claim, I would very much like to see and examine em.

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am in support of common sense. Saying my grandmother died at 89, and ignoring the fact that more than 20 of her friends and relatives did not even make it to the age of 50

Where is your PROOF of that?

And what about her ''over 100 friends and relatives'' who DID make it past 50?
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
Msauza: .

Point of correction, Life expectancy of South Africa has risen to 60 years. I have seen it recently on the news.

Oh.. it suddenly rose from 49.5 to 60 yrs in a year or two? Is that some sort of joke? It's obvious the research is severely flawed to have South Africa posting a lower life expectancy than Sierra Leone and DRC.

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
There is a wealth of data that shows a correlation between a plethora of factors and life expectancy.

Check out the graph below which shows how life expectancy varies between different social groups in England and Wales.

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2012
@All,

When you can spare time and/or bandwidth, do watch this relevant TED video.

Hans Rosling: Stats that reshape your worldview
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Freiburger(m): 8:34pm On Dec 01, 2012
Preacher man, don't tell me,
Heaven is under the earth.
I know you don't know
What life is really worth.
It's not all that glitters is gold;
'Alf the story has never been told:
So now you see the light, eh!
Stand up for your rights. come on!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!

Bob Marley (1973)
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 01, 2012
bory09: is it only in africa that child birth mortality, road accident etc happen most?. This white people use all this underground research to advertise their country and rubbish africa. This just first class discrimination, if you like believe them and be among those fools they use to develop their economy leaving our economy stagnant. Nitemi sha o i am proud to be africa no matter their f*cking information

How many widows are in ur area. Wetin white people do u?
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by sambos994(m): 9:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am in support of common sense. Saying my grandmother died at 89, and ignoring the fact that more than 20 of her friends and relatives did not even make it to the age of 50( she lost most of her family before she even got to age 50), does not help anyone. When you consider the rate at which people die in that country, as a whole, it should send shivers down any human spine.

Anyways,if you have reasonable numbers to counter the claim, I would very much like to see and examine em.

These numbers don't make sense. How can Somalia have a higher life expectancy than South Africa, if SA is the most developed nation in Africa.
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by EKONGKING: 10:14pm On Dec 01, 2012
sambos994:

These numbers don't make sense. How can Somalia have a higher life expectancy than South Africa, if SA is the most developed nation in Africa.
South africa has HIV epidemic . google is ur friend smiley

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by andrewza: 10:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Oh.. it suddenly rose from 49.5 to 60 yrs in a year or two? Is that some sort of joke? It's obvious the research is severely flawed to have South Africa posting a lower life expectancy than Sierra Leone and DRC.

It is due to AIDS. At one point AIDS at 20 ment dead before 30 now with increase in the effectvness AIDS medication and decrease in the rate of what it is spreading the statsic changes. It is all so a rough value. All so how many of the people who's famly members are so old live in a squater camp or on the side of the road.

1 Like

Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
The thread shows why some of the most "educated" people in Nigeria are actually the dumbest, to be honest...

If death rate was the premise used for this superficial stat - then countries like: Congo DR, Yemen, Pakistan, Iraq etc. should never be higher than Nigeria...

This crap is make believe albeit there might be an element of truth to some aspects of it...

And just like every other stupid stat out there - it belongs to the trash can!!
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
sambos994:

How can't somalia have a higher life expectancy than South Africa? Please explain what you mean so I can at least know where to start this one from?

There are so many factors that play into how long people live -- from family size, to disease, health care, access to clean water, economy etc. So, where do we start this or any other debate?
Re: Life Expectancy At 52 Years For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 01, 2012
You have got poverty ravaged war torn countries like; Congo DR and Yemen - and a terrorist haven like Iraq with depleted uranium everywhere higher than Nigeria on this rubbish list... And some of you actually think it's a valid list, no?? smh...

Most of the countries below Nigeria are HIV/AIDS ridden countries - and their position on the list might be justified... However, Nigeria shouldn't be where it's... Even freaking Sudan is higher than Nigeria lol..

I'm not overly Pro-Nigeria - but this list is rubbish, to be honest...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lalong Defeats Pdp’s Useni To Secure Second Term / Abraham Rejects Ondo APC Primaries, Heads For Appeal Committee. Mo / Employers Reject Fg’s Expatriate Employment Levy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.