Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,091 members, 7,953,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:18 PM

I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? (13812 Views)

Alimodu Sheriff As Pdp Chairman.what Do You Think? / The GEJ Trekkers Got Elaborate Reception By An LGA Chairman.(photo) / Coming Soon - To An Lga Near You (kogi Lg Chairmen Kidnapped For Ransome) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by jamil2(m): 3:28pm On Dec 02, 2012
These are the pillars of democracy whenever you have mastered them then your dream will come true namely; 1. Decieving 2. Lie and 3. Hypocrite. Wishing you all the best.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by surveyProf(m): 3:30pm On Dec 02, 2012
afam4eva: I want to throw my hat into the ring and contest for an elective position. I think i can make a change by starting off by contesting for the chairmanship position in my local government, Enugu South LGA. It's not like i'm ready at the moment but i want to plan for the future. I chose to contest to become the LG chairman position because it's the closest government to the people. I want to make my LGA the pride of NIgeria and Africa. Infact, i don't mind being the LGA chairman for the next 50 years if the constitution permits as long as i can make my own little contribution in my local government.

Now, what are the things that i need to know and which party do you think is progressive and encourages young people like myself?

What's the minimum age to be elected in to such a position?

As an LGA chairman, how much power do i wield?

I'm currently working on my economic plan for my local government and i will also like ya'll to contribute and tell me what you think local governments need the most.

Thanks

You know what, not until you change your hatred for Chelsea team, u're going no where....lol.

Back to the topic of discussion, @ first to become a local government chairmen in a state like Enugu, @ first you have to identify the party in power over der, perhaps the peoples democratic party (PDP), by so doing u have to let ur intention known to the people of that community, eg the Chiefs, traditional rulers, Obi's, obas etc, tell dem your intention, that you think you're the best man for the next local govenment chirmanship of that community.

Secondly, if you have not been travelling home before, you should start now, the people have to feel your impart amoung dem, build mini markets for the women, free medi care for women, build boreholes around and engrave ur name on it, dem commission it for mostly schools, churches etc, give out mini scholarships to the less privilages in dat communities, print execise books and your pictures and names on it, and share to most schools around, with dis, u are drawing close to the people.

Thirdly, pick a pdp membership form, perhaps for local government is 450-500k, with dis you are now a member of the ruling party.

Will be back to finish it up!!!
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Vincent41(m): 3:59pm On Dec 02, 2012
afam4eva: I want to throw my hat into the ring and contest for an elective position. I think i can make a change by starting off by contesting for the chairmanship position in my local government, Enugu South LGA. It's not like i'm ready at the moment but i want to plan for the future. I chose to contest to become the LG chairman position because it's the closest government to the people. I want to make my LGA the pride of NIgeria and Africa. Infact, i don't mind being the LGA chairman for the next 50 years if the constitution permits as long as i can make my own little contribution in my local government.

Now, what are the things that i need to know and which party do you think is progressive and encourages young people like myself?

I'm currently working on my economic plan for my local government and i will also like ya'll to contribute and tell me what you think local governments need the most.

Thanks

tins u must o
==>Kill for ritual
==>steal Money
==finally promise tins u can never do for ur people==>Hope it helps
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 02, 2012
First join ROF then PDP from there sky is ur limit.

My 2 cents.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Coldfaya(m): 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2012
Intrepid!:
You need advanced Jazz, tons of money, and no morals...

Not d best option ordinarily buh truth be told, in REALITY d Nigeria of today, this is part of ur way there else na die u dey find.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Sogo10: 4:25pm On Dec 02, 2012
U will not 4get nairaland after we don elect u.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by EzePromoe: 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2012

Thanks
[size=32pt]EXCUSE ME, MR AFAM! ARE YOU GOING TO PARTAKE IN THE 2016 OLYMPICS AS A CHAIRMAN? I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO COMPETE WITH USAIN BOLT IN THE NEXT OLYMPICS![/size] undecided
afam4eva: I just got inspired by
the dismal showing of
Nigerian athletes at
the London 2012
olympic games. I just
want to anounce to
the world that i'm
going back to the
tracks and i will
represent Nigeria at
the next Olympics in
Rio De Janeiro. I just
hope Usain Bolt is still
available by then. The
world will witness a
rude awakening
because i'm about to
set a new world
record thereby
rendering Bolt's record
redundant. But first i
need to see a doctor
to know if i;m fit to
still do competitive
athletics.
Afam bu Afam
SOURCE
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by sylve11: 4:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
Demdem: what exactly do u want? were u not the person that told us u will like to represent Nigeria in an olympic sport and u are working towards it?

grin grin grin grin grin cool
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by surveyProf(m): 4:44pm On Dec 02, 2012
Continue for where I stooped!!

• Send ahead a 4-wheel drive jeep to your hometown for later use

• Then begin frequent visits home. Stock up on bags of rice and salt, posh mobile phones and recharge cards

• Stock up on expensive alcoholic drinks

• Sink a borehole or two

• Start attending funerals, chieftaincy parties, church/mosque dedications

• Pay some school fees – but only at the Primary and Secondary school levels

• While you’re doing this, do not let it cross your lips that you are interested in any political office oh

• After about a year of this, step up the frequency of your visits home

• Find out who in your LGA is in sweet with your governor. This is when and where you begin to distribute your fancy mobile phones

• Get what the Italians call a Consigliere. In Nigeria, he is called an Agent – a trusted foot soldier. He should cost you no more than N1m at the end of the day

• Take your expensive drinks and your GMGs (Ghana-must-go) and begin to visit the stakeholders

• Visit all the Ward chairmen, Ward secretaries, Women leaders and Youth leaders and do the needful

• This is called ‘Entry Behaviour’

• Become friends with the controller of the NURTW in your area. These fine gentlemen do more than just the control of road transport workers you will find

• If you can, get a small government contract to build a small road or a small public building in your LGA. The people will think you are doing that in a private capacity. Do not correct that misconception

• Then you make your formal announcement

• Present yourself at a function where your State governor is in attendance. Grab the microphone, make a sizable donation after you have lavished His Excellency with much praise for his socio-infrastructural achievements in your area even if you yourself can’t see any. Don’t stop there, lustily pour invectives on the heads of His Excellency’s political enemies

• The 419 boys will outspend you. Some of them will even turn up at local palaces and community events with a troupe of dancers, but don’t let that trouble you unduly. Play up your professionalism, ideals and gentlemanliness

• If you’re coming from abroad, your ‘greenness’ is actually an advantage. It is perceived as refreshing as you won’t be seen as too negatively clever, hard nosed or cynical like some of your home based competitors. You’ll also come across as more believable

• Play possum; allow a local idiot to be your oga

• Get your good deeds in the local media. Make sure your Agent at every opportunity is telling your governor, “My man did this and that.” And the governor should delightfully respond, “Ah, so and so from London/US/Lagos is still on the ground?” Your Consigliere would say, “Your Excellency, that transformer that we commissioned the other day, that was him oh!”

• All these should get you in

• Now, you’re in, let’s say your LGA is due N98m every month. Your State Finance Commissioner will diligently go to Abuja and collect that N98m

• Your fine supportive governor will only give you – on a good month – about N48m

• On assuming office, you discover that LGA workers have not been paid for 2 months

• There are about 14 wards in your LGA. Councillors earn about N232,000 every month in salary and allowances. Supervising Counsellors earn more

• Recurrent costs, teachers, secretariat staff, sanitation people, technicians, clerks, etc, etc have to be paid promptly every month

• Traditional rulers and political warlords have to be paid even more promptly every month or you are out and the governor would appoint a caretaker LGA chairperson in your stead

• When all that is done, you barely have N3m left

• But that is not all. You are frequently called at short notice to host and entertain State and Federal visitors to your LGA. That means lodging, food, drinks and gifts

• You cannot directly source for this of course. You have to contract it out to one of the stakeholders’ wives - possibly the wife/girlfriend of the governor or one of the traditional rulers for about N1.5m

• Remember the 4X4 you shipped home? Vulcanisers keep planting nails at strategic junctions in town, how many times can you patch one tire. Moreover, your roads are tough and have told on the poor jeep. You have to replace it

• You have laid out close to N40m to be elected and have creditors to settle, plus your wife won’t stop shinning

• Halfway through your tenure, you realise that the financial arithmetic don’t add up so you become a philosopher-politician and begin to think very deeply

• You cannot possibly go back to your old life and old work after your tenure. You would need a moderate modern house in Abuja, Lagos or Kaduna as you plan your future and, hopefully, bigger political adventures like, for instance, being one of the many PAs or Advisers to your governor

• Meantime, on one of your trips abroad, you talk your town’s people in the Diaspora into promising to build a community hall back home

• You’ve come to rightly understand that in Nigeria, loyalty is bought so you begin to cultivate the very special friendship of the Finance man

• With the help of your new special friend, the Finance man, you don’t pay worker’s salary for the last 2 or 3 months of your chairmanship. You simply keep those

• Now, there’s just the one remaining matter – the elephant in the room: You have done bugger-all for your LGA in 2 years. Don’t worry; you simply didn’t have enough time or money for that.

Change is of course, the only constant in life. So this will change too for the better at some point in Nigeria, but for now, that is how it’s done.

Finally, Do not forget to buy your membership form (PDP)....powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 02, 2012
What does he need to know? To respect every citizenry Jxt like as if its a forum

1 Like

Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by koolg: 4:56pm On Dec 02, 2012
DICKtator: This is simple
1. Join a strong political party
2. Do their dirty jobs
3. Learn how to fight
4. You will rise to the top
grin grin grin grin

@op
If sulivan is not your father n you don't have millions of naira,
This will work for you.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by fapcrook(m): 4:59pm On Dec 02, 2012
You must have three 0s, Owo meaning money, Oogun meaning juju and Obinrin meaning women who will campaign for u, d4 u must be able to yansh them wella wella
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by 2pence(m): 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2012
Afam I suggest you go back to your ward/zone and start working ;Be people oriented , Make yourself available for people to use; no matter how you look at it you must start from some where; Get into community driven ideas for empowerment for instance and make a statement; Goodluck to you man !
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by 2pence(m): 5:17pm On Dec 02, 2012
koolg:

@op
If sulivan is not your father n you don't have millions of naira, ever heard of favour ? Where was sullivan before he became governor ? Its all about favour man ! Wake up
This will work for you.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by otokx(m): 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2012
nice
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by achi4u(m): 5:19pm On Dec 02, 2012
A big THANK you to mr Surveyprof for ur guardline and ur Maradona tacticsgringrin
You must be one of those PDP thiefs guyz making alot of moneycheesytongue

Where's AFAM?
Abeg come and copy this one!!!

Me i wan rule my state EBONYI
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by surveyProf(m): 5:23pm On Dec 02, 2012
achi4u: A big THANK you to mr Surveyprof for ur guardline and ur Maradon tacticsgringrin
You must be one of those PDP thiefs guyz making alot of moneycheesytongue

Where's AFAM?
Abeg come and copy this one!!!

Me i wan rule my state EBONYI

You can say dat again, follow who know road, so dat make u nor fall inside gutter, while not, you can rule ur state Ebonyi!!
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by achi4u(m): 5:33pm On Dec 02, 2012
surveyProf:

You can say dat again, follow who know road, so dat make u nor fall inside gutter, while not, you can rule ur state Ebonyi!!
Ameeeen ooo! you've shown many the road to political manouvering.I love that.My state is too turf( due to what I dont know )but with ur political analysis and biting the figer that feed yougringrin
Infact I believe i can fly but I need a more advice from a hardcore PDP member like you.....

more tricks plsgringrin
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Jarus(m): 5:34pm On Dec 02, 2012
Demdem:

didnt get that undecided
He can achieve both, olympian and LG chair.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by saintiyke(m): 5:39pm On Dec 02, 2012
@op . How about shooting the incumbent LG chairman in the head or eye like u 've wanted to do to TA Orji, Doctors in Garrison hosipital PH and a host of others .
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Abagworo(m): 5:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
surveyProf: Continue for where I stooped!!

• Send ahead a 4-wheel drive jeep to your hometown for later use

• Then begin frequent visits home. Stock up on bags of rice and salt, posh mobile phones and recharge cards

• Stock up on expensive alcoholic drinks

• Sink a borehole or two

• Start attending funerals, chieftaincy parties, church/mosque dedications

• Pay some school fees – but only at the Primary and Secondary school levels

• While you’re doing this, do not let it cross your lips that you are interested in any political office oh

• After about a year of this, step up the frequency of your visits home

• Find out who in your LGA is in sweet with your governor. This is when and where you begin to distribute your fancy mobile phones

• Get what the Italians call a Consigliere. In Nigeria, he is called an Agent – a trusted foot soldier. He should cost you no more than N1m at the end of the day

• Take your expensive drinks and your GMGs (Ghana-must-go) and begin to visit the stakeholders

• Visit all the Ward chairmen, Ward secretaries, Women leaders and Youth leaders and do the needful

• This is called ‘Entry Behaviour’

• Become friends with the controller of the NURTW in your area. These fine gentlemen do more than just the control of road transport workers you will find

• If you can, get a small government contract to build a small road or a small public building in your LGA. The people will think you are doing that in a private capacity. Do not correct that misconception

• Then you make your formal announcement

• Present yourself at a function where your State governor is in attendance. Grab the microphone, make a sizable donation after you have lavished His Excellency with much praise for his socio-infrastructural achievements in your area even if you yourself can’t see any. Don’t stop there, lustily pour invectives on the heads of His Excellency’s political enemies

• The 419 boys will outspend you. Some of them will even turn up at local palaces and community events with a troupe of dancers, but don’t let that trouble you unduly. Play up your professionalism, ideals and gentlemanliness

• If you’re coming from abroad, your ‘greenness’ is actually an advantage. It is perceived as refreshing as you won’t be seen as too negatively clever, hard nosed or cynical like some of your home based competitors. You’ll also come across as more believable

• Play possum; allow a local idiot to be your oga

• Get your good deeds in the local media. Make sure your Agent at every opportunity is telling your governor, “My man did this and that.” And the governor should delightfully respond, “Ah, so and so from London/US/Lagos is still on the ground?” Your Consigliere would say, “Your Excellency, that transformer that we commissioned the other day, that was him oh!”

• All these should get you in

• Now, you’re in, let’s say your LGA is due N98m every month. Your State Finance Commissioner will diligently go to Abuja and collect that N98m

• Your fine supportive governor will only give you – on a good month – about N48m

• On assuming office, you discover that LGA workers have not been paid for 2 months

• There are about 14 wards in your LGA. Councillors earn about N232,000 every month in salary and allowances. Supervising Counsellors earn more

• Recurrent costs, teachers, secretariat staff, sanitation people, technicians, clerks, etc, etc have to be paid promptly every month

• Traditional rulers and political warlords have to be paid even more promptly every month or you are out and the governor would appoint a caretaker LGA chairperson in your stead

• When all that is done, you barely have N3m left

• But that is not all. You are frequently called at short notice to host and entertain State and Federal visitors to your LGA. That means lodging, food, drinks and gifts

• You cannot directly source for this of course. You have to contract it out to one of the stakeholders’ wives - possibly the wife/girlfriend of the governor or one of the traditional rulers for about N1.5m

• Remember the 4X4 you shipped home? Vulcanisers keep planting nails at strategic junctions in town, how many times can you patch one tire. Moreover, your roads are tough and have told on the poor jeep. You have to replace it

• You have laid out close to N40m to be elected and have creditors to settle, plus your wife won’t stop shinning

• Halfway through your tenure, you realise that the financial arithmetic don’t add up so you become a philosopher-politician and begin to think very deeply

• You cannot possibly go back to your old life and old work after your tenure. You would need a moderate modern house in Abuja, Lagos or Kaduna as you plan your future and, hopefully, bigger political adventures like, for instance, being one of the many PAs or Advisers to your governor

• Meantime, on one of your trips abroad, you talk your town’s people in the Diaspora into promising to build a community hall back home

• You’ve come to rightly understand that in Nigeria, loyalty is bought so you begin to cultivate the very special friendship of the Finance man

• With the help of your new special friend, the Finance man, you don’t pay worker’s salary for the last 2 or 3 months of your chairmanship. You simply keep those

• Now, there’s just the one remaining matter – the elephant in the room: You have done bugger-all for your LGA in 2 years. Don’t worry; you simply didn’t have enough time or money for that.

Change is of course, the only constant in life. So this will change too for the better at some point in Nigeria, but for now, that is how it’s done.

Finally, Do not forget to buy your membership form (PDP)....powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Abeg I prefer my simple life and Nairaland blabs.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by achi4u(m): 5:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
saintiyke: @op . How about shooting the incumbent LG chairman in the head or eye like u've had wanted to do to TA Orji, Doctors in Garrison hosipital PH and a host of others .
mtsweeew.
We need real tricks not shooting.
get d post first!
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by surveyProf(m): 5:49pm On Dec 02, 2012
Abagworo:

Abeg I prefer my simple life and Nairaland blabs.

You meant, you do not want money?..... o boy, U dey see money u dey run.. cheesy cheesy
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by dayokanu(m): 5:53pm On Dec 02, 2012
The same AFAM who feels he is AMerican.

The guy is definitely on drugs
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by omenziate(m): 6:38pm On Dec 02, 2012
Discard all ur shoes and relocate to ur village, u might just have the stroke of luck President Jona has.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by OmoTier1(m): 7:29pm On Dec 02, 2012
Afam not with your ethnic bigot, Nigeria does not deserve wimps like you to rule even a street in. Local government! First go be garage union leader...
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by OmoTier1(m): 7:33pm On Dec 02, 2012
dayokanu: The same AFAM who feels he is AMerican.

The guy is definitely on drugs
Thank ŷou! Same person that thinks Nigeria should become the 58th American state before she can become developed now thinks of becoming a LGA?

Is this what fiscal cliff can result into
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Mowire: 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2012
CHAIRMAN1: Bros, u think say na the course rep you be for futo be this?
Hey! Was afam really in futo? & How did u know?

Anyway @afam I'm impressed with ur ambition. U need a lot of money for philantropy (& employment generating biz) in ur area. Be around a lot. The best teacher of the politics of it that I know today is the man you hate so much: TINUBU. He'll make a gr8 mentor believe me.

& A councillor is just an officially paid thug. He does nothing!

I May add asap later
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Mowire: 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2012
CHAIRMAN1: Bros, u think say na the course rep you be for futo be this?

Wake up o... This one na national runs!
Anyway, I wish you luck.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by salolo(m): 7:45pm On Dec 02, 2012
alot
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by odumchi: 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2012
Afam, you'll need to be fairly popular not only in your ward but in all the communities that constitute your LGA. In addition to this, you will need to have a good reputation supplemented with an open and generous hand. I would suggest you organize yourself and plan out how you intend to rise up gradually.
Re: I Want To Become An LGA Chairman - What Do I Need To Know? by Demdem(m): 7:51pm On Dec 02, 2012
Jarus:
He can achieve both, olympian and LG chair.

Goodluck to him then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hope For Nigeria Says PDP Is Winning Kano / ''President Buhari Will Soon Return Home'' - Solomon Dalung, Minister Of Sports / Why Buhari Set Up Osinbajo-led Executive, Legislature Committee – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.