Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Ghanaian And Nigerian Couple: What's The Big Deal? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ghanaian And Nigerian Couple: What's The Big Deal? (3862 Views)

Nigerian Couple Who Met On Twitter To Wed (photos) / Wow! This Nigerian Couple Broke All Rules In Lagos Beach Wedding (photos) / Ghanaian And Zimbabwe Women - And Their Extreme Love For Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian And Nigerian Couple: What's The Big Deal? by True2myself24(f): 5:48am On Dec 03, 2012
It'll be a year in February since my boyfriend and I have been together. I love him and he loves me so...yay?! Anyway, my mom keeps making a big deal out of nothing. You see all she keeps talking about is marriage, but for different reasons. She keeps telling me not to commit to him and to "just have fun now" because a Nigerian and Ghanaian marriage may be difficult because of our cultural differences. (Btw I'm Ghanaian). I get her point, but first of all, her request for me to not commit to him may have worked months ago when we were casually dating, but now we're pretty much long term and monogamous so.... And as for having fun, we are wink, but getting married eventually, when the time is right, is in our minds. Until then, I'm looking for a better job and thinking about pursuing my Master's degree and he's working on his Master's degree right now and is trying to put his career together. But anywho, is my mom right?? When my boyfriend and I are ready, and if we're still together and we decide to get married, are things going to be as difficult as my mother's describing it? How different are Nigerians and Ghanaians? And by Nigerian and Ghanaian, I mean Americanized ones. I lived in Ghana for three years, but was raised in the U.S., and he was raised in Nigeria but has been living abroad for most of his adult life. So we're both pretty liberal and pick and choose the aspects of our culture that we admire, like speaking our native tongues, and we throw away the parts that don't work for us, like the lack of father/daughter relationships in some Ghanaian homes. And mind you, my mother was the same person who called me at work and asked me to look for a YouTube video on how to make a design for her aso oke so she can wear it to an upcoming wedding . So, I don't want to sound naive because I believe my mom has a point, but to what extent is she right? How different are we? And what are some potential problems that may occur in a Nigerian/Ghanaian marriage (beside language barriers) that my boyfriend and I may not be aware of.
Re: Ghanaian And Nigerian Couple: What's The Big Deal? by Caseless: 7:46am On Dec 03, 2012
First, i must advice u to commit urself to the guy 'cos nigerian men are to some extent the best men to get married to.

Again, that of cultural differences, ur mum might be right a little... 'Cos along the west-african sub-region, i dont see any significant difference in how we behave culturally(xcept for the little diffrence).
Besides, the people nigerians find very easy to live with are ghanaians...so no much differences .
Re: Ghanaian And Nigerian Couple: What's The Big Deal? by Mynd44: 8:09am On Dec 03, 2012
Until you stop listening to your mother and be a grown up, you should not be married.
Fûck you should not even date

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian And Nigerian Couple: What's The Big Deal? by lolaluv1(f): 11:18am On Dec 03, 2012
I have absolutely no problem with this line-up.
Two Nigerian girls I know are married to Ghanaian men. Couple 1 is in Utah, couple 2 in Nigeria and they are getting along just fine.
I think it'l be great if you both can pool the positives in the different cultures into an enviable union.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Which Object Will U Use If U Meet Your Spouse In This Mood? (picture) / 9 Most Awful Wedding Dresses You’ll Ever See! / Guys,what Can Make You Beat Your Partner???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.