Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence (10013 Views)

Mysterious Illness May Be Carried By The Wind / My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Emylexray(m): 7:26pm On Dec 03, 2012
One thing i know is that..''there is no limit to the capacity of the memory'', i can store as many information as possible in my brain box. i know lazy and unserious students will find this development interesting.
Why hasn't those we consider highly intelligent gone mad? Prof Wole soyinka, Chinua Achebe e.t.c even Patrick Obahiagbon with his wide vocabulary of words hasn't gone insane. I'm not convinced yet!
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by PosCaricature: 7:31pm On Dec 03, 2012
WAHALA!!!
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by felifeli: 7:33pm On Dec 03, 2012
Ucheosefoh: So dat means all the mad piple wey de nl were once intelligent I dnt think so some of them were born with brain disorder

LOL Bros I feel you o! How Yaba left ?
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by desktop: 7:34pm On Dec 03, 2012
baby_123:
grin grin grin cheesy. None. But i used to see one that used to carry books all over the place with him. Must be dead now. Speaking some serious english . Plus a lot of psychopaths and sociopaths are quite intelligent. Case in point the neuroscience student that shot people in a movie theater. cheesy
I know one who wears a bow tie and says were goin in one direction & then goes ahead to try to print a denomination contrary to that
barks about a particular form of institutional practises under his power and when he finally gets it approved we are yet to see one of such institutions in place so much for saving the economy.
Hes led to the loss of jobs of so many because of his thoughtless strike that...mad thinking, and now complains about the civil service....i wonder if now the bow tie is so tight he also now thinks outside 'his box'...or per chance a psycho at the helms of affairs cant possibly be a...psycho cos he wears a bow tie?

Definitely hes doesnt come from the intelligent kind you probably assume here.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
It's it contradictory though, because you need high level of intelligence to diagnose some mental illness......

Also, what constitute mental illness? It is a very subjective form of illness, except when a patient exhibit the obvious aggressive form.

I don't really agree with this research that mental illness is the price we pay for intelligence. I just think think mental illness has evolved independently, just like other forms illness
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by chreldb(m): 7:56pm On Dec 03, 2012
kunletech:

The reason why some intellingent peeps are unballance is because of over release of neurochemical called dopamin.
Thesame chemical release when u smoke weed.

Thanks for that. Am not a. Neuroscientist. But lets analyse their findings on a molecular level using dopamine as an illustration. Dopamine is a protein encoded by thé dopamine gene. So logically a mutation or damage in that gene and the receptors of the neurotransmitters genes could lead to a detrimental production of dopamine or a production of a totally different protein which could potentially negative mental condition or even unusual high level of intelligence hypothetically speaking. so their coclusion that a damage or mutation in those genes that modulate intelligence makes perfect sense.but what I query and criticise is their conclusion that the price of higher intelligence is more mental illness. How?!!! They did not explain what experiment they conducted to come to that. Their conclusions are too vague to swallow. Not enough scientific evidence. Pardon my typos. Typing from a really small touch screen phone.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by baby124: 7:56pm On Dec 03, 2012
desktop:
I know one who wears a bow tie and says were goin in one direction & then goes ahead to try to print a denomination contrary to that
barks about a particular form of institutional practises under his power and when he finally gets it approved we are yet to see one of such institutions in place so much for saving the economy.
Hes led to the loss of jobs of so many because of his thoughtless strike that...mad thinking, and now complains about the civil service....i wonder if now the bow tie is so tight he also now thinks outside 'his box'...or per chance a psycho at the helms of affairs cant possibly be a...psycho cos he wears a bow tie?

Definitely hes doesnt come from the intelligent kind you probably assume here.

You must be talking about Sanusi precisely. hmmm. A lot of our politicians are psychopaths. There is no other way to justify the limitless looting. A lot of the pastors too.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by valencia25(m): 7:56pm On Dec 03, 2012
Thank God for WE WE... I get hope sha... At least am mentally free grin grin
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by sonickay(m): 8:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
baby_123: Very true. Look around you, a lot of mad people are quite intelligent. lipsrsealed. Or over intelligent people eventually have some form of mental illness.
very true...many are mad but few roam d streets...i hope we are not mad ooo...cos my head dey spin somtimes
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
felifeli:

LOL Bros I feel you o! How Yaba left ?
na me suppose 2 ask u dat question u wey de yaba left since jan dis yr abi dem don discharge u or u escape
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 03, 2012
This might contained an atom if truth away i am not agree with the conclution that mental illenss is the price for high intelligent. the fact is that if this is true, Albert Eienstine who is regarded to be father of modern day science, could have ran mental before he died for his great break through in science expecialy the theory of relativity in physics which is highly challanging in science.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Ezeufi: 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2012
B0LL0X!!!!

This is just another "hypotheses/theory/thought-for-food and vice-versa/ or whatever it's called" to compound more and more lies. Genetic fluke? sounds similar to big bang theory to me.

Im happy with creation.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by larrymoore(m): 9:41pm On Dec 03, 2012
lancey: okay.. ..but do mice have brain diseases too??
l ve seen a mouse dt ran mad before. The mouse was dancing with its two front hands raised,
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by larrymoore(m): 9:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
lancey: okay.. ..but do mice have brain diseases too??
l ve seen a mouse dt ran mad before. The mouse was dancing with its two front hands raised, lasgidi's mouse.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by vislabraye(m): 9:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
It sounds more like conjecture.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by baby124: 10:04pm On Dec 03, 2012
larrymoore: l ve seen a mouse dt ran mad before. The mouse was dancing with its two front hands raised, lasgidi's mouse.

hmm grin grin grin grin. Someone has been watching too many cartoons.

1 Like

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 03, 2012
oya nerdy brethens over to you
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by sirugos(m): 10:47pm On Dec 03, 2012
I value my time a lot. So no time to waste reading all dat.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by BecaciaBarbie(f): 11:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
Table Leg :

Why dont you ask the mice in your kitchen, perhaps it may have the answer you desire!
Lmaooooooooo....
So many hilarious comments on this thread!
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by BecaciaBarbie(f): 11:55pm On Dec 03, 2012
Yea..this is verry true! Arnd July dis year a boy ran mad bcuz he ws studyn just too hard for Unilag's pume.
In my skul aswell...a guy was reading nd preparing for his examz...bt he went just too far, he read 24/7 nd wudnt eat nor sleep...bfore we knew it, one afternoon he jumpd out of d class nd came bak in, did the same thing over and over again...it ws den we knew somfn was really wrong. The truth is, everythn has got its own limits...nd too much of anyfn z bad.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by JOXY(f): 11:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
I agree. Go to yaba or aro and speak with the inmates especialy those with biopolar disorder. Also confirm from their doctors. Most of them are very very intelligent.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by tpia1: 12:29am On Dec 04, 2012
low IQ people and bad belle. undecided

except to be lynching people, na im you know. undecided

japanese, indians, chinese working round the clock to enable you to be civilized, are all mad, abi?

una boss here don kolo finish. undecided
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 04, 2012
The most intelligent people are actually wired.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by AKobo4urthought: 1:26am On Dec 04, 2012
some human being are just naturally insane, it has nothing to do with intelligence.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by mamagee3(f): 1:53am On Dec 04, 2012
One of the most ridiculous claim I have ever read!!!
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by abdullkabar(m): 7:22am On Dec 04, 2012
Na lie jahre
evrytin was created with a BUFFER space.
EVRYTIN HAPUNIN ON EARTH IS ALREADY PROGRAMMED IN D SYSTEM,GUD,BAD,.make dem stop yeye discovery
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by bknight: 7:46am On Dec 04, 2012
Becacia_Barbie: Yea..this is verry true! Arnd July dis year a boy ran mad bcuz he ws studyn just too hard for Unilag's pume.
In my skul aswell...a guy was reading nd preparing for his examz...bt he went just too far, he read 24/7 nd wudnt eat nor sleep...bfore we knew it, one afternoon he jumpd out of d class nd came bak in, did the same thing over and over again...it ws den we knew somfn was really wrong. The truth is, everythn has got its own limits...nd too much of anyfn z bad.

Barbie, these cases u mentioned here were not necessarily intelligent. because they read round d clock? does dat translate to intelligence? What ur classmate did was unhealthy, reading round d clock without food nor sleep. In fact, it may be because something was already wrong with him to have done that, not vice versa. The brain should normally tire out after prolonged period of activities which will naturally result in sleeping off. And to think dat when d brain is worked, u'll get hungry: why couldn't he eat? Even if his brain wasn't overworked, body metabolism after abt 8hrs will require food. 24hrs without food nor sleep is not normal!

1. Reading round d clock without food nor sleep is no intelligence. It was a subtle symptom which was rather hailed as intelligence until it degenerated into jumping out of d class over & over (for no apparent reason??) before u then saw what was wrong.
2. Whatever was wrong made him read round d clock without food nor sleep.

1 Like

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by pekelepekele(m): 7:59am On Dec 04, 2012
No wonder Many professors have ran mad because they had too much IQ.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by bknight: 8:09am On Dec 04, 2012
pekelepekele: No wonder Many professors have ran mad because they had too much IQ.

This is preposterous.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by k2039: 8:18am On Dec 04, 2012
omiobo: No wonder I talk am,Mynd44,k2039,afamever,idowuogbo e.t.c are very intelligent but sometime they go offline whlie online.grin
Are you high on igbo or ogogoro,
lol.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 04, 2012
wht I am even not clear of at first is if our ancestors were invertebrates who dwell in d sea, then I wonder why those invertebrates are not yet vertebrates and another species of those micro organism changin into macro Organisms. Though they ar correct but I jst believe it is a mimicry of wht science had done before so no new discovery.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Records First COVID-19 Death, confirms 8 new cases / Diet For Renal Patient / Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.