Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? (1909 Views)

Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? / My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / Am I Really Married Or Sharing A Room With A Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 3:05am On Dec 04, 2012
I'm the last in my family and also a dad's pet, though had a humble background but God has really changed d story....

I don't like buying expensive wear, especially wrappers, the max I've ever spent was 3k, unless if my mum buys them...

Recently she told me never 2 buy any wrapper less than 3k or 2.5k as it makes me look stingy and classless. I'm I really stingy and classless for going for cheaper but fine things?
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by seedord247(m): 3:17am On Dec 04, 2012
You mean 3k $$ or naira?
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by baby124: 3:31am On Dec 04, 2012
Buy what you can afford. You work hard for your money. Instead of using your money to buy insanely expensive and worthless things that add no value to you, except to the seller. Invest and grow that extra money wisely. Nothing wrong with being wise and prudent with money. If you have a good sense of style and shape, you will look good in the cheapest items. I have seen people in couture that look a mighty mess. Save your money girl, all you are buying is the name. If mummy wants to see you in expensive things let her top the money up. Cut your coat under your size and use the money for solid projects. The richest people never flaunt all these expensive brand names, its the wannabees.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 3:31am On Dec 04, 2012
I mean N3k
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 3:35am On Dec 04, 2012
baby_123: Buy what you can afford. You work hard for your money. Instead of using your money to buy insanely expensive and worthless things that add no value to you, except to the seller. Invest and grow that extra money wisely. Nothing wrong with being wise and prudent with money. If you have a good sense of style and shape, you will look good in the cheapest items. I have seen people in couture that look a mighty mess. Save your money girl, all you are buying is the name. If mummy wants to see you in expensive things let her top the money up. Cut your coat under your size and use the money for solid projects. The richest people never flaunt all these expensive brand names, its the wannabees.
Thanx so much 4 dat... Bt all d money i get is always frm mum nd dad n so many tyms i hav 2 buy wat mum wants bt i feel it no point buying expensive ones as all dt matters is how well it fits one.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by baby124: 3:37am On Dec 04, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
Thanx so much 4 dat... Bt all d money i get is always frm mum nd dad n so many tyms i hav 2 buy wat mum wants bt i feel it no point buying expensive ones as all dt matters is how well it fits one.
Oh, I thought when you said God had changed the story that you had become successful and independent. It is good that you have a prudent mind. If she wants to buy it for you, then its her money let her buy it. When you make your own money, you can determine how you want to spend it.

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by seedord247(m): 3:45am On Dec 04, 2012
Stop buying okrika or fearly used (tokunbo)... Do you know what they call gucci and marykay?
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 3:51am On Dec 04, 2012
seedord247: Stop buying okrika or fearly used (tokunbo)... Do you know what they call gucci and marykay?
I sense sarcasm,bt den mum has bought marykay 4 me once bt ended up giving my sis, i feel it nt reasonable spending money on such tins dt dnt last nd while odas struggle 2 survive nd its nt as if d cloths i wear look cheap or dnt fit,infact pple appreciate dem.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by AtheistD(m): 6:35am On Dec 04, 2012
^^^

Your mum wants you to get used to the finer things in life. Learn to appreciate them but do not become dependent on them.

When you have the means to indulge yourself go ahead occasionally. When you do not have the means, live prudently.

Do not be under any pressure to live above your means. Being prudent is a good thing and hence you are going in the right direction. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by greatgod2012(f): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2012
Better to be prudent than being extravagant, even, if the money dey too much, its better to save it for dry season, (hope u understand me) than to waste money on expensive thing and there will not be any money in save.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:05pm On Dec 04, 2012
OmoDaddy354,

No! You're not stingy but being prudent and conservative, which for me is a good thing.

I think your mom believes anything of good quality must be expensive, which is not always so. You're just someone who believes money must be spent wisely and judiciously.

Please don't bother yourself too much; you're okay the way you are. It shows you're someone not carried away with extravagance and showy things.

PS: Your moniker is a far cry from your traits(if you know what I mean grin).
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 04, 2012
ferhyntorlah: OmoDaddy354,

No! You're not stingy but being prudent and conservative, which for me is a good thing.

I think your mom believes anything of good quality must be expensive, which is not always so. You're just someone who believes money must be spent wisely and judiciously.

Please don't bother yourself too much; you're okay the way you are. It shows you're someone not carried away with extravagance and showy things.

PS: Your moniker is a far cry from your traits(if you know what I mean grin).
Thanx sis 4 d advice, i appreciate.. Bt dnt get wat ur last paragraph means o,can u pls elucidate??
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
greatgod2012: Better to be prudent than being extravagant, even, if the money dey too much, its better to save it for dry season, (hope u understand me) than to waste money on expensive thing and there will not be any money in save.
Thnx sis
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Kobojunkie: 6:33pm On Dec 04, 2012
Omo Daddy354: Am d last in my family nd also a dad's pet,dou had a humble background bt God has really changed d story.... I dnt lyk buying expensive wear,esp wrappers,d max i've eva spent was 3k,unless if my mum buys dem... Recently she tld me never 2 buy any wrapper less dan 3k or 2.5k as it makes me look stingy nd classless. I'm i rilly stingy nd classless 4 going 4 cheaper bt fine things?

While I don't think stingy is the right word to use here, I think I may get where you mum may be coming from. However, I would rather add my own to this. Do you realize that buying lower quality items turns out more expensive in the long run?

Let me try to explain here. If you have the choice to purchase either a wrapper at N3000 but looks like 20-year-old material after 10 washes, and a second wrapper that costs about N10,000 and retains it's quality even after 100 washes, which would you purchase? Many people will say the one that cost N3000 because it is cheaper, and they might convince themselves that they have a trick on how to make the N3000 material look like new even longer than 10 washes. Well, more times than not, they are wrong, and find the N3000 not as useful as had initially hoped for.
The point is it is ok to be cheap but not all the times. Sometimes it is a better idea to go for quality over quantity. Dealing with items that maintain some significant value over time is prudent. Getting a good balance is what is needed to avoid looking cheap all the time and still saving yourself money.

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
I sense sarcasm,bt den mum has bought marykay 4 me once bt ended up giving my sis, i feel it nt reasonable spending money on such tins dt dnt last nd while odas struggle 2 survive nd its nt as if d cloths i wear look cheap or dnt fit,infact pple appreciate dem.
I will like to know you. I will try n contact you. Cheers!
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
Thanx sis 4 d advice, i appreciate.. Bt dnt get wat ur last paragraph means o,can u pls elucidate??

Your moniker "OmoDaddy" means daddy's pet and daddy's pet could at time be seen as spoilt and over-pampered but in your case, it's quite the opposite IMO.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 04, 2012
So when you are in a tight spot and need liquid cash how much can you sell those "expensive" wrappers for? Isn't that what mothers should be teaching their kids? How to prudently manage resources, how to invest wisely in assets that appreciate with time not worthless wrappers that you wear twice and its done.
Sometimes I tell people I buy second hand clothes and they feel like shooting me, they see something nice and ask me where I bought it and how much "foolish" me will say the truth and they get angry and tell me off that "at my level, for my class I should be shopping only abroad and buying brand names".
Na wa oh. Most times na women wey no dey even work oh. Me wey go dey sweat under AC, travel state to state sabi how clean money dey hard. I don't add a kobo over my expenses, I don't steal office money, I have a limit of what I can spend on clothes and shoes, I have kids whose future I have to properly plan for, Hubby and I are both stydying, there are children in my village and his who will go to school for a year with the cost of a silly "expensive" dress that I won't wear more than 3 times, there are people in the Hospital who will need my designer dress money just to stay alive for one more week.
Priorities differ sha.

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 10:03am On Dec 05, 2012
debrief08: So when you are in a tight spot and need liquid cash how much can you sell those "expensive" wrappers for? Isn't that what mothers should be teaching their kids? How to prudently manage resources, how to invest wisely in assets that appreciate with time not worthless wrappers that you wear twice and its done.
Sometimes I tell people I buy second hand clothes and they feel like shooting me, they see something nice and ask me where I bought it and how much "foolish" me will say the truth and they get angry and tell me off that "at my level, for my class I should be shopping only abroad and buying brand names".
Na wa oh. Most times na women wey no dey even work oh. Me wey go dey sweat under AC, travel state to state sabi how clean money dey hard. I don't add a kobo over my expenses, I don't steal office money, I have a limit of what I can spend on clothes and shoes, I have kids whose future I have to properly plan for, Hubby and I are both stydying, there are children in my village and his who will go to school for a year with the cost of a silly "expensive" dress that I won't wear more than 3 times, there are people in the Hospital who will need my designer dress money just to stay alive for one more week.
Priorities differ sha.
Ma'am,u've jst said exactly y am nt concernd abt those expensive stuffs.... I'm kinda very emotional nd am concerned abt humanity.... And at dis my young age i c no reason 'throwing' money away on dis tins wen odas can barely survive... Mayb wen i have my own money i'll step-up,bt jst a bit
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 10:03am On Dec 05, 2012
debrief08: So when you are in a tight spot and need liquid cash how much can you sell those "expensive" wrappers for? Isn't that what mothers should be teaching their kids? How to prudently manage resources, how to invest wisely in assets that appreciate with time not worthless wrappers that you wear twice and its done.
Priorities differ sha.
Ma'am,u've jst said exactly y am nt concernd abt those expensive stuffs.... I'm kinda very emotional nd am concerned abt humanity.... And at dis my young age i c no reason 'throwing' money away on dis tins wen odas can barely survive... Mayb wen i have my own money i'll step-up,bt jst a bit
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 05, 2012
My Dear You are wise, I presume you are still been given allowances by your dad. Let me advice you, Invest in gold. If you have 10000 buy small small pin ones, you dont have to wear them, I dont, because i loose jewelry easily but find a safe deposit and keep them, when you have money that you will not use for anything tangible, save it and when it is enough go and buy gold and keep. Life is unpredictable and may not always be rosy, Gold is always a great investment, it has come through for me several times.
Nothing wrong with looking nice, believe me I do my best to look beautiful and stay fit but I as a worker and business woman have a limit, If only Nigerians will learn to invest wisely and avoid the need to show off we would be much better as a country. Why people steal and cheat so much is because they want to show off.
You have started well, dont let anyone pressurize you, today it is wraper, tomorrow it will be car, next tomorrow it will be competition for holiday abroad and where to have your baby. My point is only do what is comfortable to you and what is right with God, spend wisely today so tomorrow you will never be in a position where you have to run up and down looking for money to borrow, when times het tough simply enter the market and sell one small earing, you will be surprised, but buy a N50,000 wrapper today, try and sell it next year you will be lucky if you can get N5000 but buy gold worth N50000 today and go and sell it next year even if you dont get your full money back what you will loose will not be more than N8000.
I like you, keep a calm decent head on your shoulders, life is not a competition.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 05, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

Your moniker "OmoDaddy" means daddy's pet and daddy's pet could at time be seen as spoilt and over-pampered but in your case, it's quite the opposite IMO.
Got it nw.... Its jst individual diff nd actually wat one choose 2b... My dad is almost turning me 2 a goddess {mum has tld him dat severally},he pampers me even dou he's nt rich nd my mum 2... U won't bliv dat i hardly do any house chores bt den i choose nt b spoilt.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:23am On Dec 05, 2012
Isn't that what mothers should be teaching their kids? How to prudently manage resources, how to invest wisely in assets that appreciate with time not worthless wrappers that you wear twice and its done.

At my level, for my class I should be shopping only abroad and buying brand names.
What is it with some people and brand/designer names? I for one don't go "gaga" on designer things. As long as the product is of good quality, I'm good to go!

I have kids whose future I have to properly plan for, Hubby and I are both studying, there are children in my village and his who will go to school for a year with the cost of a silly "expensive" dress that I won't wear more than 3 times.

There are people in the Hospital who will need my designer dress money just to stay alive for one more week.
Priorities differ sha.

Well said Debrief08, well said!
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:27am On Dec 05, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
U won't bliv dat I hardly do any house chores bt den I choose nt b spoilt.

Good for you!
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 05, 2012
Kobogunje:
If you have the choice to purchase either a wrapper at N3000 but looks like 20-year-old material after 10 washes, and a second wrapper that costs about N10,000 and retains it's quality even after 100 washes, which would you purchase? Many people will say the one that cost N3000 because it is cheaper, and they might convince themselves that they have a trick on how to make the N3000 material look like new even longer than 10 washes. Well, more times than not, they are wrong, and find the N3000 not as useful as had initially hoped for.
I get ur point, bt do u know its nt always lyk dat? E.g. D first nd only wrapper i've eva bought expensive myself was 3k nd i wore it only once,by d time i washd it,it so faded away dt i cldnt wear it again nd cnt evn gv it out cos i cnt imagine me giving such a tin 2 some1... I was so pissed nd i hav ones i bought 1k-2k b4 i bot dt 1 dat am still putting on til date.. I use pears baby lotion whch is 250 nd my skin looks gud sum of my frnds ask me 'what cream do u use' thinking its one expensive tin nd i just decided 2 change 2 a anoda cream a bit expensive dan dat a month ago only 2 have it almost wrecking damage on my skin.... Mum buys me 'dark & lovely' powder whch does gud on my face, until she got me 'Ailin' whch is more expensive dan dat,she regretd buying it 4 me... We just have dis mentality dt anytin expensive goes wit us whch is nt always so.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:51am On Dec 05, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
I use pears baby lotion whch is 250 nd my skin looks gud sum of my frnds ask me 'what cream do u use' thinking its one expensive tin nd i just decided 2 change 2 a anoda cream a bit expensive dan dat a month ago only 2 have it almost wrecking damage on my skin....

Talking about skin, can you use oil on your skin or you are okay with using only lotion? If yes to the first question, try using shea butter. It's so gooooood on the skin.
Re: Is My Mum Right Or Am I Really Stingy? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 05, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

Talking about skin, can you use oil on your skin or you are okay with using only lotion? If yes to the first question, try using shea butter. It's so gooooood on the skin.
Will try that out.. Thanx

(1) (Reply)

Don't Judge People By Their Character... / Tomorrow We Go In For Our Eggs IVF / Nairalander Please Help Wish My Wife Happy Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.