Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,838 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? (5735 Views)

Make Likes Public (re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful?) / Did You Make Nairaland Frontpage In 2012? / Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
@Seun,,my own tangible opinions are...increase d site's resolution..make it look more real like 3D,,also apply charming colours to d background,titles,posts et al,,,every nlander should have a profile picture,location,age and a status attached to his/her username,make a head-bar that will b stylish and colourful..dats where u'll insert d site's logo,name and motto plus a welcome message too,,one last thing..make some certain things downloadable..like pictures for instance..dis will even attract more users and make everytin interesting,,dats just my own facts..thanks .

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by skydancer: 8:03am On Dec 08, 2012
Seun I hope at this point you now have a better understanding of the various things people use Nairaland for and what they expect from it. You asked for beauty, but beauty as said, lies on the eyes of the beholder. Nairaland is beautiful as it is but it can be made much more beautiful to suit the tastes of a wider circle of users.

The mobile version of the website is okay, but I believe it's high time to upgrade, the home page for a logged in user should show the topics they're subscribed to first, followed by recent topics from boards they have marked as their interest, and few of the current hottest topics with a link to view more.

I also think user profiles needs to have a wall, where people can say thanks or leave a message to the user. This will increase my reputation if I am a genuine and good person for other members to know.

The search box should be a custom Google Search box registered with Google CSE, not a normal textbox with "site:nairaland.com".

Finally, the desktop version needs a big retouching. It needs to provide a better UI display of the most prominent features of the website. The notifications should be shown in a modern manner, I think you should adopt Facebook's sidebar method of showing ads. Most accessed features on the left sidebar (nobody wants to go to the homepage every time they want to check a different topic). I also think I can help out during this xmas period in a revamp if you consider one. All the best guys smiley

4 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by kandiikane(m): 8:19am On Dec 08, 2012
spikes C:
I expected you would be matured enough on this thread, but.....

Oh, please save me the bull! Mature, my azz. Why did you even bother quoting me, when you said you don't like me(like I give 2cents?) And you knew the answer you were going to get from me won't be in your favour? Like I've said before, carry those things you call balls and face front. Thank you!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by ogzille(m): 9:08am On Dec 08, 2012
Use buttons not only plain links
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by funkymedina: 9:48am On Dec 08, 2012
I have only one contribution/question .
Why dont links to websites open in an external window

Its a terrible user experience to be taken away from nairaland and it must be bad for business. If someone posts a link and i like to look at it, it should open in its own window not take me away from nairaland , many times i havent come back and its not good especially for ur advertisers who will want people to remain here.

someone posted on page two of this thread example of forums that have moved on with the times, i clicked the link and i left nairaland ..not good!!

My 2cents

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 10:06am On Dec 08, 2012
@funky_medina: if you want links to open in new tabs, hold down the Ctrl key when clicking them. Use Shift to open links in new window.

Unlike many other websites, we offer you that choice.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by sisqology(m): 11:04am On Dec 08, 2012
Seun: @funky_medina: if you want links to open in new tabs, hold down the Ctrl key when clicking them. Use Shift to open links in new window.

You do not expect everyone to know that; you should always make everything comfortable ƒσя the visitor!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 11:47am On Dec 08, 2012
sisqology: You do not expect everyone to know that; you should always make everything comfortable ƒσя the visitor!
I don't expect everyone to want to open every link in a new window, so we have to make both options available. If you open a link in the same window, you can always use the back button to return to Nairaland when you're through. That's how the web works!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by kaysy(m): 11:56am On Dec 08, 2012
Seun:
I don't expect everyone to want to open every link in a new window, so we have to make both options available. If you open a link in the same window, you can always use the back button to return to Nairaland when you're through. That's how the web works!
@Seun, it is better to have a new window navigate to a new tab, when this new nairaland came on it was like this and people complained and then u made it possible to navigate to new tabs along the line again i noticed it has changed back to former, so how come now u dnt wana do it again knowing that it affects ur business. One can choose to have up to 7tabs on his browser where 4 of those 7 tabs are information seen from nairaland, do u expect such a person to always click back and front and..... wow! it's not worth it man.. do something

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by funkymedina: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2012
Seun: @funky_medina: if you want links to open in new tabs, hold down the Ctrl key when clicking them. Use Shift to open links in new window.

How on earth was I supposed to know that?? or anyone for that matter!! Its not a great chioce to have from ur perspective & I believe from the visitors perspective too, you dont want people leaving nairaland , let it by default open in a new window and let the choice be the other way round.

Thats the only thing that bugs me. The site is obviously dated but most of the visitors are mostly nigerians from nigeria using mobile phones so i think loading times would be priority when thinking of changes. From a css perpective maybe sprucing up the colour , making the rounded lines thicker .the search button could be smaller and placed on the top right , no need to have site:nairaland in there

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by bakenda(m): 6:19pm On Dec 08, 2012
How about doing this?
With some prize attached.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by ayobase(m): 6:59pm On Dec 08, 2012
Abyjah: Uncle Seun, I need to know when I'm mentioned or quoted, you know?
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by emyguz(m): 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
funky medina: I have only one contribution/question .
Why dont links to websites open in an external window

If I still want to remain in Nairaland while visiting another link or website, I simply right click the link and select open in a new tab or window (if I'm on pc, eg mozilla or internet explorer web browsers.).
when on phone, I use either UCBROWSER or OPERA MINI 5, 6 or 7, ibrowser,

In opera mini 5, 6 or 7. I simply highlight the link, press 1 and select open in new tab,

In ucbrowser, I highlight the link, press # and select open in new tab.

There is no reason for this- "opening a link in an external window" to be an issue.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by FdsunnEX(m): 12:34am On Dec 11, 2012
this almost cool
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 11, 2012
Make likes public. That is the ability to see who liked a comment you left on a thread. Finding out the face behind the mask/action could be all so inspiring.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by ignis: 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
Oga seun, how about introducing and using animations on this site. I believe it will make it look more beautiful.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Fhemmmy: 8:43pm On Dec 12, 2012
As mentioned by so many people:
1. Would be nice if a poster could delete his/her own post

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by emrino(m): 10:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
Back in the day I used to test internet speeds with www.google.com n I cld tell(relatively) how fast a connection was. Now I use home made www.nairaland.com

What am I sayn, In tryna improve pls don't go tooo over the top with all that 3D, Anime n all that in or order to retain its ease of access. Loading too many things may make it hard to open up pages(wch is one thing NL has got soo right, no down time). it wld really suck n u may lose visitors/patronage if that quik access was lost, I opine.

4 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 15, 2012
No deleting of anyway post made here by the poster. This site can be used by CIA agents to track your record. After all, it's a public forum why do you wanna delete ya previous post cool.

At post,Nairaland is fine the way it is. Don't even think of crowding it with colors and what have you! Leave it like this!

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 16, 2012
dont8: In addition, I need to dislike some posts here, so give us a dislike button.

most nairalanders are not mature enough for this. Soon it will become a tool for vendetta.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 9:16am On Dec 16, 2012
Jarus:
Yes, I also need to know who like my posts.

But I think in terms of beauty, the current structure isnt that bad.

nope. we really dont need to know who likes our posts. Its more of an ego trip if i may say. the current anonymous structure provides for an unbiased means of approving a point of view.

3 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by kandiikane(m): 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2012
davidylan:

nope. we really dont need to know who likes our posts. Its more of an ego trip if i may say. the current anonymous structure provides for an unbiased means of approving a point of view.

My husband, you have spoken well. I shall now go forth to prepare you your favourite meal.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 1:16am On Dec 17, 2012
kandiikane:

My husband, you have spoken well. I shall now go forth to prepare you your favourite meal.

grin lol you no serious.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by olenyi: 5:44am On Dec 17, 2012
emyguz:

In ucbrowser, I highlight the link, press # and select open in new tab.

Just highlight the link and press ''o''.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by olenyi: 5:47am On Dec 17, 2012
@Seun.

Ckeck out this site and compare. Both in terms of profile manageability, profile avater placement, etc. Regards.

www.mobilephonetalk.com
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 17, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Thanks.

Personally, I interpret "more beautiful" for NL as more user-friendly, more engaging and more appealing.
well said.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by adewasco2k(m): 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2012
More beautiful undecided
user friendly wink adverts should be
target="_blank"

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Dec 17, 2012
I am impressed by www.nairaland.com but i am not totally impressed. reasons the site is ok no doubt but add more colours to it. Ah seun you na programmer na. At least you know how to use Css and Html very well try add some beautiful background colours. and nairaland should have a notification system. To notify you when people comments on post you are following we just need beautiful colours seun. You can check out my wapka stupid site www.guruswise.wapka.mobi just commend me small although nobody is teaching me shall i learnt it myself thats just a start but very soon i will be a very good and intelligent programmer. And lest i forget make it possible for us to delete our previous topics and posts. And also do something about those your moderators banning people without warning especially that sexkillz thank you. I think thats all for now. But expect more
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 17, 2012
Just employ better hands. This is not something you have to do all alone. Take a cue from some online best forums. Indeed, the layout needs to be redrawn(if I were you I would be doing that right away), add extra features, Facebook, Yahoo and other clients sign-ins,etc.

I hope you don't really have to ignore the layout thing. To me that is one of the most important changes I would love to see made to this forum.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by skyfall: 4:28pm On Dec 25, 2012
Please leave this site alone the way it is. Adding too much effizy makes it heavy and harder for people to access. In fact i want to advise you to ban uploading of .GIF files which make pages hard to load on slower connections esp on mobiles.

The beauty of Nairaland, just like Google is its simplicity.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Participate In Free Blogging / Top 30 Reasons Why Students Should Blog / How To Earn Money Online Legitimately?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.