Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,367 members, 7,812,054 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? (5737 Views)

Make Likes Public (re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful?) / Did You Make Nairaland Frontpage In 2012? / Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 25, 2012
skyfall: Please leave this site alone the way it is. Adding too much effizy makes it heavy and harder for people to access. In fact i want to advise you to ban uploading of .GIF files which make pages hard to load on slower connections esp on mobiles.

The beauty of Nairaland, just like Google is its simplicity.
You are just too afraid of changes! To be contented is not the way to go in this modern way. The world will leave you behind! Please, stop asking for less in this present generation because there is no beauty in simplicity without progress!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 6:43pm On Dec 25, 2012
all4naija: You are just too afraid of changes! To be contented is not the way to go in this modern way. The world will leave you behind! Please, stop asking for less in this present generation because there is no beauty in simplicity without progress!
Change is not what they are afraid of. They are afraid that a more graphical site will perform awfully on our abysmal Internet/mobile networks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 25, 2012
Seun:
Change is not what they are afraid of. They are afraid that a more graphical site will perform awfully on our abysmal Internet/mobile networks.
Okay. But most well formed forum run very well in Nigeria, I guess(many Nigerians participation is a testament to that).I was more for the layout thing. It would do us good to do something about it.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by skyfall: 11:38pm On Dec 25, 2012
all4naija: You are just too afraid of changes! To be contented is not the way to go in this modern way. The world will leave you behind! Please, stop asking for less in this present generation because there is no beauty in simplicity without progress!

Man, you don't need to attack anybody. Just state your own points. The person asking the question is smart enough to see the pros & cons of each side.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 26, 2012
skyfall:

Man, you don't need to attack anybody. Just state your own points. The person asking the question is smart enough to see the pros & cons of each side.
Okay! But, the person in question can't speak for everybody if that is your idea about the topic. I don't think it is even a question in a sense but a request in the form of leaving the forum the way it is while removing some feature.

You didn't read the comment properly,I guess!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by adewasco2k(m): 12:56am On Dec 27, 2012
Nairaland is cool as it is jooh! simple and light for mobile users.
just the ads...i feel it should open a new tab for PC users (target="_blank" )
secondly may be ads can have opacity:0.5 at hover

just saying
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 1:59am On Dec 30, 2012
adewasco2k: Nairaland is cool as it is jooh! simple and light for mobile users.
just the ads...i feel it should open a new tab for PC users (target="_blank" )
secondly may be ads can have opacity:0.5 at hover

just saying
Seriously dude, most of the ads are boring. I wish something can be done to go for text designs(as people opted for Lite-page due to nature of connection in Nigeria) rather than all round small graphics on the forum.

Just not good example though:

[size=14pt] Nairaland.com[/size] TM
Nigerians and Friends of Nigeria Forum
[url]Welcome![/url]
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by cash22(m): 3:59pm On Dec 30, 2012
Implement Ajax technology if you can. And if possible make users to earn.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by 2million1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2012
can you make it more like facebook wer i can change my username wen i lyk?
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by emyguz(m): 11:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
@ Seun.

Pls I request that the way local searches are done on this sites be improved. For example, it doesn't have to bring out the replies made on the topic. And also, it should just bring out the topic heading.

Most times, I find it boring searching for articles on Nairaland's local site search. Pls that would make Nairaland look more beautiful.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 11:08pm On Dec 30, 2012
emyguz: @ Seun.

Pls I request that the way local searches are done on this sites be improved. For example, it doesn't have to bring out the replies made on the topic. And also, it should just bring out the topic heading.

Most times, I find it boring searching for articles on Nairaland's local site search. Pls that would make Nairaland look more beautiful.

Thanks
why don't you use the google search option?
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by manny4life(m): 11:12pm On Dec 30, 2012
cash22: Implement Ajax technology if you can. And if possible make users to earn.

Earn what?

You must really be dreaming, when I heard Seun's mods are unpiad, I was shocked. I've come to appreciate them more than before. Now you're suggesting users earn from here. That will ONLY COME TO PASS, only if NL is taken over which I sure don't foresee.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 11:17pm On Dec 30, 2012
manny4life: Earn what?

You must really be dreaming, when I heard Seun's mods are unpiad, I was shocked. I've come to appreciate them more than before. Now you're suggesting users earn from here. That will ONLY COME TO PASS, only if NL is taken over which I sure don't foresee.
Many people earn good money from Nairaland. By providing commercial products and services to Nigerians.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by FXKing2012(m): 11:34pm On Dec 30, 2012
Seun: Dear Webmasters,

How can we make Nairaland more beautiful without changing the structure? I'm looking for simple design tricks & tweaks to apply using CSS with only minor changes to our HTML structure to make Nairaland more beautiful on both personal computers and mobile devices.

Thanks in advance!

The answer to your question and what you really need is found here:
www.nairaland.com/1145579/how-grow-nairaland-membership-revenue
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by manny4life(m): 12:28am On Dec 31, 2012
Seun:
Many people earn good money from Nairaland. By providing commercial products and services to Nigerians.

Ah, oga Seun, you and I know that's not what he's referring to.

Earning income through NL as a third party is totally different from earning income directly from NL. I believe that's the type of earnings he's referring to.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by FXKing2012(m): 7:05am On Dec 31, 2012
manny4life:

Earning income through NL as a third party is totally different from earning income directly from NL. I believe that's the type of earnings he's referring to.

Being a mod is completely voluntary and I consider it a community service, so what is all these hullabaloo about paying the mods. Even the mods aint complaining, so which one be your own nah?

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 1:05pm On Dec 31, 2012
manny4life: Earning income through NL as a third party is totally different from earning income directly from NL.
It's not different. Money is money, whether it's earned "directly" or "indirectly" doesn't change what you can buy with it in the market. wink
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by adewasco2k(m): 2:05pm On Dec 31, 2012
Seun:
It's not different. Money is money, whether it's earned "directly" or "indirectly" doesn't change what you can buy with it in the market. wink
this your funny attitude you putting up lately.....me like it

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by manny4life(m): 5:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
Seun:

Lol, never knew had jokes up his sleeve... ok o, I'll give you that.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by manny4life(m): 5:20pm On Dec 31, 2012
FXKing2012:

Being a mod is completely voluntary and I consider it a community service, so what is all these hullabaloo about paying the mods. Even the mods aint complaining, so which one be your own nah?

Hullabaloo about what exactly? What's my business that you're contributing your time? I only expressed my observation that I never knew mods were unpaid and I've come to appreciate them more, and here you are assuming stuff I have no clue about. Whether mods complain or not, how does that concern me or what I wrote? Did I tell you I was speaking on their behalf? Did my post express that they were complaining? undecided undecided undecided undecided

You need to learn how to read and most importantly interpret. Whether you give all your time or not, that's not my business, believe me. I ain't got time for that neither do I poke interest into matters that don't value to me. As a member, I'm entitled to my expressing my opinion including observation...Unfortunately, if you don't like than... NEXT.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by BabaAlabi: 1:55am On Jan 01, 2013
I have read all the suggestions and this is my summary of what will make Nairaland better
1)Leave the mobile site the way it is....it's beautiful on opera mini and other browsers with the added advantage of it being simple and quick to load without 'chopping mb'
2)The desktop layout needs changes ASAP...It hurt my eyes while reading NL posts with my laptop...too small and too simple..it looked like an abandoned site...Make it more beautiful and still maintain a part of it's simplicity
3)We should know who likes our posts....It is necessary and helps the poster know who exactly agrees with him or her...
4)We should be notified if a post of ours is quoted...This makes the site more interactive as one would love to reply immediately not clicking on multiple pages before seeing a quote.....
5)We should be able to share posts and topics of NL on twitter and FB...Walahi this is something you should have done long ago as it would bring more people to your site and increase it's popularity.
6)We should be able to message another user directly....quick and simple...plus there should be an option if a user wants the feature activated.
7)There should be an app for Blackberries,Iphones,Ipads,Android and Windows....The app should have something different about it plus maybe there should be a posted via iPad notification under a post..(This one is just to show levels but it's not necessary ...hehehe)
coolThere should be a trial period to know if people are okay with any changes made and if it will affect the site positively
9)Happy new year

7 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by purplekayc(m): 1:37pm On Jan 03, 2013
manny4life:

grin grin grin
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by naijametro: 1:17am On Jan 05, 2013
If you want to keep the clean, minimalist look and feel with less graphics, focus on the typography.
One suggestion: use left aligned text for the featured links, not centered... makes it easier to read.
You can get more inspiration from:
http://www.awwwards.com/

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by akay48(m): 2:58pm On Jan 05, 2013
For me, I prefer the structure as they are. But if we are trying to be more beautiful and sleek looking, then we should try making our Typography a bit more 'WEB 2.0'. We cant afford to add unnecessary Kbs, this is Nigeria, we need to consider the fact that connectivity is expensive.
Now, personally, I'd want to know who liked my post, to send and recieve private messages (although, these doesn't make it 'structurally beautiful'.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 29, 2015
Still waiting for a better looking Nl
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Fhemmmy: 3:33am On Jan 30, 2015
It would be nice when you within "Followed Topic" want to stop following a topic, wgen you click on the "x" to ask If you really wanna x out of tgat topic.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by purplekayc(m): 4:04pm On Jan 30, 2015
make it more friendly, increase the capacity of your server ,stop un necesary banning ,improve the desktop version

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 30 Reasons Why Students Should Blog / How To Earn Money Online Legitimately? / What Are The Disadvantage Of Free Hosting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.