Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand (11181 Views)

Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? / Carpet Grass Car In Akure That Has Got Everyone Talking: (photos) / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by olokfor: 7:18am On Dec 06, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ImmbxThnjc

Three rescue dogs in New Zealand have been taught how to drive a car.

Monty, Porter and Ginny have learned the skills to prove how intelligent dogs can be, in an attempt to encourage more potential owners to come forward.

The drive for publicity by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals saw the four-legged friends spend weeks getting to grips with four wheels.

The dogs, a giant schnauzer, a whippet cross and a beardie cross can change gear, steer and brake.

They sit in a driving position on their haunches responding to instructions called out from the dog behaviour experts.

Animal trainer Mark Vette and his team began training the animals using a mock vehicle before introducing them to a real car - a Mini especially adapted for paws.

He said: "We chain behaviours together ... in this case we've got 10 behaviours we're putting together. Then you put them into a sequence. It's a lot to do, and for the dog to actually start to get an idea of what actually is happening takes quite a long time.

"So we'll start the car, get into position, brake on, gear in place, back onto the steering wheel, accelerator, take off and hoon (=drive fast) along the straight and then stop," said Mr Vette.

However, the animal trainer says things did not always go smoothly when the dogs got into the real car.

"A couple of days ago the car was going too fast, the trainer nearly got run over," he said.

Now the animals can start a car, accelerate and steer they are scheduled to show off their skills on live TV in New Zealand next week.

For the final test the dogs will also have to brake as they are driving along a narrow lane.

Trainers are hoping they won't become too distracted driving past any lamp posts.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rescue-dogs-taught-drive-car-015357820.html

1 Like

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by ijebabe: 11:06am On Dec 06, 2012
What we won't see in this world!
Before you know, they will be talking and dining with fork and knife grin

2 Likes

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Areaboy2(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
NO WAAAAAAAY!!!

oya women.. up your game oh!! you no need driver again grin grin grin

I dont care what you think, but that last dog is pimpin!! damn!!!! he's got style!!
Driving and not even looking/caring where he's going, with one hand like a boss grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by azpekuliar: 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
Hehehe... Overconfidence dey worry d dog. See as d dog pose like say im wan overtake sef.... cheesy
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by moneyhungry(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
I don't know about u, but I will never allow a DOG to drive ME... even if d DOG got a Ph.d in Driving.

4 Likes

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by jimino(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wonda shall neva end

1 Like

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by maclatunji: 12:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
Finally made it to Youtube, I posted it yesterday.
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Nuges11(m): 12:26pm On Dec 06, 2012
To those who are scared of driving: if a dog can do it, so can u...

1 Like

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Navalsadiq(m): 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wu! Wu!..pack well joor before i bite you.lolz
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by valencia25(m): 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Over my dead body, no be go allow make animal drive me.... My dead body sev go wake argue the trip sev
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Otorock: 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wounders shall never end,how do this white people thinks,gud fr dem anyway
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by yuzedo: 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2012
Imagine a Calabar man getting a hold of this tasty dog.... Eating the meat can make you a genius like Einstein! grin grin
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by drnoel: 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2012
OK, tell me when they start driving real cars driven by human beings..
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by r231(m): 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2012
wow
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by salafiyy: 12:34pm On Dec 06, 2012
IMPROVMENT...BUT IF NA NAIJA NA WA LEGS WE GO DEY PULL UP AND DOWN:
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by killuminati(m): 12:35pm On Dec 06, 2012
Damnwhat! A car-driving dog shockedshocked
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by VirginFinder: 12:40pm On Dec 06, 2012
Orisirisi.

Welcome to circus reloaded.
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
Incredible.

Does this mean dogs are rational or are they just like computers, merely performing what has been programmed into them - without intentionality?
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by lollarj(f): 12:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
Some human beans are still learning to drive and see these dogs... undecided
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by free2ryhme: 12:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
mstchew!!!!!!!!
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by texazzpete(m): 1:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
Yield: Incredible.

Does this mean dogs are rational or are they just like computers, merely performing what has been programmed into them - without intentionality?

Wait, so at your age you don't know that dogs are intelligent creatures that can think? You haven't heard of stories of dogs running for miles to fetch help for their injured owners? You haven't seen dogs react to their owners moods?
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Clemzy16(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2012
Hmmm.. What happens when they violate traffic rules. Arrest them?! SMH!

1 Like

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Elgaxton(m): 1:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
ijebabe: What we won't see in this world!
Before you know, they will be talking and dining with fork and knife grin
That's old news, La grimmot de' la' grinayan taught his pig how to eat with him on the dining table.
I saw it in a book, Young Mastermind. 1979 edition. cheesy
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Abali1(m): 1:04pm On Dec 06, 2012
I can't stop laughing.....hehehehehe
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by Walexz02(m): 1:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
drnoel: OK, tell me when they start driving real cars driven by human beings..
The one wey u see there, na manbeing dey drive am abi?
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by ijebabe: 1:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
Elgaxton:
That's old news, La grimmot de' la' grinayan taught his pig how to eat with him on the dining table.
I saw it in a book, Young Mastermind. 1979 edition. cheesy
Then I guess an invasion is inevitable.
Come to think of it, dogs will be a lot nicer than apes grin
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by r231(m): 1:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
my driver is about to lose his job cus i can get a dog to drive me for free grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by aieromon(m): 1:12pm On Dec 06, 2012
Dogg¡€ style woof woof
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by wawaboy1(m): 1:19pm On Dec 06, 2012
A beg make them come lagos And take over all this brt buses. But can lastma arrest them
Re: Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand by phillip001(m): 1:19pm On Dec 06, 2012
death is coming for them

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Best Oil For My 2010 Lexus Rx 350? / How To Jump Start A Car / URGENT PLS!!! Toyota Camry 04 Tyre/rim Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.